Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9 Dec 2021, 22:35 (Ref:4088028)   #586
Beau2
Racer
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 158
Beau2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
I disagree, I think it’s been pretty balanced overall.

Both teams and drivers have made mistakes, had some bad luck and have put in some utterly awesome performances.

Sure you can go back throughout the season and pick one incident but that can be countered by another….just the ebb and flow of a great season.
It has been pretty balanced. Hence, my comment that a single moment whether positive or negative could define the Championship...you seemed to want to make a completely different point.

However, as I said to SOME eyes it will be a tainted Championship whichever way it goes. Max fans will bring up Silverstone/Hungary/Imola if he loses, Lewis fans will bring up Monza/Spa/Jeddah if he loses. The season just has that level of controversy surrounding it as a whole.
Beau2 is offline  
Quote
Old 9 Dec 2021, 22:43 (Ref:4088030)   #587
ascarracinguk
Veteran
 
ascarracinguk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location:
Infront of my computer
Posts: 3,719
ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2 View Post
It has been pretty balanced. Hence, my comment that a single moment whether positive or negative could define the Championship...you seemed to want to make a completely different point.

However, as I said to SOME eyes it will be a tainted Championship whichever way it goes. Max fans will bring up Silverstone/Hungary/Imola if he loses, Lewis fans will bring up Monza/Spa/Jeddah if he loses. The season just has that level of controversy surrounding it as a whole.
Nope, wasn’t trying to make a point, just countering your point that the max move into turn 1 was season defining…,I think there was a far more defining move into that turn in the same race, especially with how much it’s got people talking about Max’s driving going into the final race.

I’m a Hamilton fan, don’t mind admitting it. However more than that I’m a fan of the sport. Drivers will come and go, so I care more for the sport than any single driver. I may not like Max and Red Bull but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate his talent and Red Bulls work ethic. We currently have 2 teams and drivers operating at between 99% and 101% where you either lose or overstep the boundary.

While at times it’s being frustrating to watch, overall it’s been an absolute pleasure.
ascarracinguk is online now  
Quote
Old 9 Dec 2021, 22:43 (Ref:4088031)   #588
Knowlesy
20KPINAL
 
Knowlesy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 29,853
Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Spa will annoy me I must admit, but it seems likely the points gap will make it irrelevant.
Knowlesy is offline  
Quote
Old 9 Dec 2021, 22:52 (Ref:4088032)   #589
greentrumpet
Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 175
greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Yes I thought that was the case.

Pretty poor form by greentrumpet to accuse Ralf of causing the marshal's death then. Just to to win an internet argument.
I apologise.
In all honesty I saw another post that described the incident and vaguely recalled it. I'm pretty sure it was here a few days prior to my post but I felt appropriate to link the two events. It appears I was wrong about the 2001 incident, that doesn't alter the fact that Max's driving at the point in question was dirty and should have no place in any class of racing.
greentrumpet is offline  
Quote
Old 9 Dec 2021, 23:00 (Ref:4088034)   #590
ascarracinguk
Veteran
 
ascarracinguk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location:
Infront of my computer
Posts: 3,719
ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Spa will annoy me I must admit, but it seems likely the points gap will make it irrelevant.
Tbh I have to agree. Out of all the incidents this year that’s the one that still gets me, and probably the most damaging incident for the sport. Luckily for F1 there has been a lot to mask that day so most people will forget, however if Max wins the championship by less than 5 points, some people won’t be happy.
ascarracinguk is online now  
Quote
Old 9 Dec 2021, 23:11 (Ref:4088037)   #591
Adam43
14th
1% Club
 
Adam43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
European Union
New Orleans
Posts: 37,915
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2 View Post
Many moments could define this Championship, including of course Hamilton's action at Silverstone or Bottas' at Hungary. I'm afraid to say that this Championship will likely be tainted in some eyes whichever way it goes.
I’ve never accepted John Surtees as the 1964 champion. Forever tainted by Mexico.
Adam43 is offline  
__________________
Always consider this might not be 100% serious.
Quote
Old 10 Dec 2021, 10:48 (Ref:4088104)   #592
S griffin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15,137
S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
To be fair Surtees wouldn't have been champion that year if all scores counted
S griffin is offline  
__________________
He who dares wins!
He who hesitates is lost!
Quote
Old 10 Dec 2021, 13:42 (Ref:4088143)   #593
Adam43
14th
1% Club
 
Adam43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
European Union
New Orleans
Posts: 37,915
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1950 too, always tainted by some of Farina’s driving antics.
Adam43 is offline  
__________________
Always consider this might not be 100% serious.
Quote
Old 10 Dec 2021, 14:37 (Ref:4088165)   #594
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 21,078
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
To be fair Surtees wouldn't have been champion that year if all scores counted

Prost got more points than Senna in '88 but only the eleven best results counted towards the WDC.
bjohnsonsmith is offline  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 10 Dec 2021, 19:46 (Ref:4088217)   #595
Beau2
Racer
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 158
Beau2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Nope, wasn’t trying to make a point, just countering your point that the max move into turn 1 was season defining…,I think there was a far more defining move into that turn in the same race, especially with how much it’s got people talking about Max’s driving going into the final race.

I’m a Hamilton fan, don’t mind admitting it. However more than that I’m a fan of the sport. Drivers will come and go, so I care more for the sport than any single driver. I may not like Max and Red Bull but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate his talent and Red Bulls work ethic. We currently have 2 teams and drivers operating at between 99% and 101% where you either lose or overstep the boundary.

While at times it’s being frustrating to watch, overall it’s been an absolute pleasure.
I think we can finally agree on something. It has been a fantastic Championship but as a mostly neutral (I wamt Max to win but he's not near my favourite driver) it will still be tainted in some eyes, even if it isn't ours. Formula 1 has likely been brought some new fans but is in a damaged and dangerous place too.
Beau2 is offline  
Quote
Old 10 Dec 2021, 21:45 (Ref:4088230)   #596
BTCC frog
Veteran
 
BTCC frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 635
BTCC frog should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBTCC frog should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBTCC frog should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Tbh I have to agree. Out of all the incidents this year that’s the one that still gets me, and probably the most damaging incident for the sport. Luckily for F1 there has been a lot to mask that day so most people will forget, however if Max wins the championship by less than 5 points, some people won’t be happy.
I actually don't mind the awarding of points in Spa, due to the fact that qualifying was a level playing ground, and it at least gave them some reward from that. Given that Verstappen beat Lewis Hamilton to pole position, he was more likely to outscore him anyway, and deserves some reward for that. It seems a bit too much to get half-points, the same as if they actually had raced for half-distance, but often then you get scenarios like Monaco 1984 where the race was stopped when Senna was catching Prost, or Interlagos 2003 where Coulthard lost the win due to pitting just before the red flag (and that was full points), so when half-points are awarded there will always be controversy and injustice.

The thing that will peeve me if Verstappen wins by less than five points is the five extra points he has gained in sprint races compared to Hamilton, as I think it is ridiculous that points should be awarded for a trial new qualifying format, and it is a travesty that points may be extended to the top ten for sprints next season. But then some will be unhappy if Hamilton wins because of the 25 points he gained in Silverstone. To be honest, I think Verstappen deserves it more, as he lost so many points in Silverstone, Hungary and Azerbaijan through little fault of his own. But I'm more glad it has gone to the final race with equal points, and as a neutral I will enjoy the finale whoever wins it (as long as it is won fairly).
BTCC frog is online now  
__________________
In another life, we could have been brothers. Running a small, quirky taverna in Sicily. Maybe we would have married the local twins instead of wasting each other's time here in this dump. But it was not to be.
Quote
Old 10 Dec 2021, 21:59 (Ref:4088231)   #597
ascarracinguk
Veteran
 
ascarracinguk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location:
Infront of my computer
Posts: 3,719
ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I actually don't mind the awarding of points in Spa, due to the fact that qualifying was a level playing ground, and it at least gave them some reward from that. Given that Verstappen beat Lewis Hamilton to pole position, he was more likely to outscore him anyway, and deserves some reward for that. It seems a bit too much to get half-points, the same as if they actually had raced for half-distance, but often then you get scenarios like Monaco 1984 where the race was stopped when Senna was catching Prost, or Interlagos 2003 where Coulthard lost the win due to pitting just before the red flag (and that was full points), so when half-points are awarded there will always be controversy and injustice.

The thing that will peeve me if Verstappen wins by less than five points is the five extra points he has gained in sprint races compared to Hamilton, as I think it is ridiculous that points should be awarded for a trial new qualifying format, and it is a travesty that points may be extended to the top ten for sprints next season. But then some will be unhappy if Hamilton wins because of the 25 points he gained in Silverstone. To be honest, I think Verstappen deserves it more, as he lost so many points in Silverstone, Hungary and Azerbaijan through little fault of his own. But I'm more glad it has gone to the final race with equal points, and as a neutral I will enjoy the finale whoever wins it (as long as it is won fairly).
Hmm maybe

I’d say the only one of the Silverstone, Baku and Hungary races where I feel sorry for Max is Hungary.

In Baku Red Bull pushed the limits of tyre pressures/ camber to be competitive and at Silverstone Max was pushing the limits with Lewis. In both circumstances there was a way of avoiding those incidents but when you’re pushing the limits, sometimes you operate at 99% and others at 101%…with the latter you fail.
ascarracinguk is online now  
Quote
Old 14 Dec 2021, 08:23 (Ref:4089515)   #598
crmalcolm
Veteran
 
crmalcolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
Posts: 9,237
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzinho View Post
Do wonder how Charlie would have handled it all... always struck me at how respected he was by everyone having done it for so long!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCherry View Post
To my mind, the most telling measure of a RD would be that they're effectively invisible - they're not seen to be doing anything, just keeping things ticking along. Charlie Whiting seemed to be excellent at that - the number of times he was the story, from memory, is basically zero. They also need to be seen to be impartial - which snide responses and sarcasm (i.e. the response to Wolff after the race) completely undermines.
Just for clarity, particularly when it comes to how much authority the teams see Masi having:

From 1997, Charlie Whiting was FIA Director and Safety Delegate. His role included the logistics of each F1 Grand Prix, inspecting cars in parc fermé before a race, enforcing FIA rules, and controlling the lights that start each race. He was responsible for track and car safety, the technical and procedural regulations of the sport.

From 2019, Michael Masi has served as the FIA Formula One Race Director only.
crmalcolm is offline  
__________________
"There’s no sense in doing a lot of barking if you don’t really have anything to say."
Quote
Old 14 Dec 2021, 09:27 (Ref:4089526)   #599
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Greem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
United Kingdom
Posts: 4,443
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Worth thinking about the amount of time Charlie had in F1 overall.

He'd been doing that job since before a very large number of the people involved in F1 - drivers, mechanics, PR, media, designers, engineers, management etc - were born. On top of that he'd been a mechanic (championship winning chief mechanic!) since 1977, meaning he'd been in F1 longer than most of the participants had been walking the earth.

He was on the inside, from the inside. One of the gang. Poacher turned gamekeeper.

Michael Masi was born in 1979. His first involvement in F1 was as deputy RD to Charlie, a role he did for about a year before Charlie's untimely death. He's been in post for less time than many of the current drivers have been in F1. He came from outside the gang.

A lot of the criticism levelled at him is that he isn't Charlie. Well, no he isn't; nobody is. Nobody *can be*.

If Masi stays around as long as Charlie, perhaps he'll be shown the respect that he should, largely, already be getting. I doubt that will ever happen, sadly, there are too many people gunning for him now.

And if he moved on, who would take the seat? Someone new. Someone untrusted. Someone else who isn't Charlie.

Be careful what you wish for.
Greem is offline  
Quote
Old 14 Dec 2021, 10:24 (Ref:4089535)   #600
Anyopenroad
Veteran
 
Anyopenroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
England
London
Posts: 1,195
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the podium!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the podium!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the podium!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the podium!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
And if he moved on, who would take the seat? Someone new. Someone untrusted. Someone else who isn't Charlie.
Or more than one person? Could the role be divided?

Or…Eduardo Freitas…
Anyopenroad is offline  
__________________
I like taking pictures of cars going round tracks, through forests and up hills.
Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Official] Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Predictions Contest 2021 - Round 21 of 22 - Entries Born Racer Predictions Contest & Fun 12 5 Dec 2021 20:10
[Official] Portuguese Grand Prix 2021: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 3 of 23 Born Racer Formula One 74 7 May 2021 08:21
[Official] Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix 2021: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 2 of 23 Born Racer Formula One 121 5 May 2021 17:15
[Official] Bahrain Grand Prix 2021: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 1 of 23 Born Racer Formula One 275 6 Apr 2021 14:54


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2021 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.