Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Feb 2022, 16:38 (Ref:4097823)   #76
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
which Tilke tracks are we talking about?

because some of them are great and even those that started out boring have improved a lot over the years.

like the cars, race tracks evolve and change over time.

interestingly enough, Covid afforded f1 the opportunity to visits tracks it has not been to in a long time (some ostensibly pushed off the calendar by money and tilkedromes)...was the racing there better?

in some cases it was but even then the places seemed too small for where F1 is now. they were enjoyed as distraction but i question if they could be again made into permanent entries?

like tilke or not, his design philosophy has seemingly predicted the design direction F1 cars were heading in and accommodated them with wide tracks, slow corners that facilitate the relative changes in speed necessary to allow for more overtaking, lots of run off that keeps cars in the game.

as sign of the times perhaps that it was actually easier to build new types of tracks rather then change the rules of F1 or to get the teams to abandon decades of research and money spent on pursuing aero solutions.

anyways, we dont complain about processional races anymore so that's got to count for something right?
Old 8 Feb 2022, 18:25 (Ref:4097834)   #77
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
like tilke or not, his design philosophy has seemingly predicted the design direction F1 cars were heading in and accommodated them with wide tracks, slow corners that facilitate the relative changes in speed necessary to allow for more overtaking, lots of run off that keeps cars in the game.
IMHO, that is quite a stretch. I think the Tilke tracks may have some level of defining characteristics, but the F1 calendar covers a number of legacy, new and street circuits. I can't say I see how Tilke's design decisions has driven the direction of F1 development given there is still a lot of track variability.

I do agree that you can't paint all Tilke tracks with the same "they are bad" brush.

Richard
Old 8 Feb 2022, 19:40 (Ref:4097847)   #78
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On the subject of Tilke's involvement, worth noting that he was involved with the renovation of:

Autódromo Hermanos Rodr?*guez, Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Hockenheimring, A1 Ring and Nürburgring.

Are they all improved or worsened?
Old 8 Feb 2022, 19:47 (Ref:4097848)   #79
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I can't say I see how Tilke's design decisions has driven the direction of F1 development given there is still a lot of track variability.
in fairness, i didnt say that he dove the direction of F1 development...rather im suggesting that he saw the direction F1 teams/rulemakers were going in and designed tracks which would suit those characteristics that F1 teams were themselves already building towards.

probably overstating my point though!

more just think his tracks have come into their own over these past few years and hoping they do more so given the new rules.
Old 8 Feb 2022, 20:23 (Ref:4097849)   #80
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
On the subject of Tilke's involvement, worth noting that he was involved with the renovation of:

Autódromo Hermanos Rodr?*guez, Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Hockenheimring, A1 Ring and Nürburgring.

All of them are worse, although I can appreciate they probably work from a brief from the FIA on requirements.
Old 8 Feb 2022, 22:20 (Ref:4097867)   #81
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Hockenheim is an interesting one.

I loved the old layout but I feel that the new layout is one of Tilke's best as well.
Old 8 Feb 2022, 23:14 (Ref:4097869)   #82
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I'd put Istanbul and Sepang top by a fair margin.
Old 9 Feb 2022, 02:25 (Ref:4097881)   #83
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I'd put Istanbul and Sepang top by a fair margin.
Im in total agreement there,
Old 9 Feb 2022, 05:28 (Ref:4097884)   #84
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Is Austin one of Tilke's too? If so that's the other stand out design.

The 'reprofiled' ones are just AN Other circuit imo.
Old 9 Feb 2022, 10:13 (Ref:4097914)   #85
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Hockenheim is an interesting one.

I loved the old layout but I feel that the new layout is one of Tilke's best as well.
Yes, but the old one had it's own character, even if it wasn't the most challenging. The new one is too much like other circuits
Old 9 Feb 2022, 11:07 (Ref:4097919)   #86
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If someone can design Istanbul,COTA and Sepang they obviously know how to make a great circuit.In a lot of the other cases I’m pretty sure he wasn’t given a clean slate but had to fit in with either natural or commercial compromises.
Old 11 Feb 2022, 05:35 (Ref:4098191)   #87
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
If someone can design Istanbul,COTA and Sepang they obviously know how to make a great circuit.In a lot of the other cases I’m pretty sure he wasn’t given a clean slate but had to fit in with either natural or commercial compromises.
Yes that is highly likely. The Hockenheim reconstruction in particular would fit either of those criteria.
Old 11 Feb 2022, 09:22 (Ref:4098204)   #88
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Don't forget though that Istanbul was originally going to be clockwise. When they realised it wouldn't work, they switched to anti-clockwise, so the great layout almost came about by accident
Old 11 Feb 2022, 12:50 (Ref:4098243)   #89
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Don't forget though that Istanbul was originally going to be clockwise. When they realised it wouldn't work, they switched to anti-clockwise, so the great layout almost came about by accident
You just have to wonder ...
Old 11 Feb 2022, 13:00 (Ref:4098248)   #90
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
You just have to wonder ...
Old 20 Feb 2022, 22:07 (Ref:4099551)   #91
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Is Austin one of Tilke's too? If so that's the other stand out design.

The 'reprofiled' ones are just AN Other circuit imo.

The COTA layout was conceived by promoter Tavo Hellmund and the 1993 Motorcycle World Champion Kevin Schwantz, with Tilke's assistance.
Old 14 Apr 2022, 15:17 (Ref:4106846)   #92
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure if this is right thread for this. But here is a video showing some of the changes at Spa. The Eau Rouge and Raidillon section has had quite a bit of changes with a lot of extra paved runoff. Especially on the uphill side. The video is Porsche testing GT and Prototype cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koc_PNDrOtw

Richard
Old 15 Apr 2022, 09:51 (Ref:4106927)   #93
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Not sure if this is right thread for this. But here is a video showing some of the changes at Spa. The Eau Rouge and Raidillon section has had quite a bit of changes with a lot of extra paved runoff. Especially on the uphill side. The video is Porsche testing GT and Prototype cars.

Richard

There is more run off than race track.
Old 15 Apr 2022, 15:06 (Ref:4106950)   #94
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Richard

Well the risk of car bouncing back on the track seems greatly reduced. So should be better. Seems they removed a house and a whole hillside to make room.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 31 May 2022, 19:04 (Ref:4112302)   #95
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coming back to Monaco. Would it make any significant difference for overtaking if the final corner sequence going onto the start finish straight would be changed? So basically turning corner 18 and 19 into a single much more open corner by removing the centre piece of the road where now the statue of Fangio is on. This would make the straight more or less start at Rascasse instead of turn 19, so lengthening it by about 80 meters. A smooth increasing radius corner like that is easier to following closer. Might be just enough to give a bit more chance to stick your nose in at turn 1.

Might also influence line choice through Rascasse. You'd want a late apex to maximise exit onto the straight then, but you don't want to open up too much to leave a gap on the inside. If you keep it tight to not offer that gap, the guy behind could choose the late apex for maximizing speed onto the straight. The way it is now, exit speed out of Rascasse is not important, cause you have to navigate turns 18 and 19 single file anyway and following there closely is not easy.

So the green line instead of the red line:

Last edited by Taxi645; 31 May 2022 at 19:12.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 31 May 2022, 19:11 (Ref:4112305)   #96
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Coming back to Monaco. Would it make any significant difference for overtaking if the final corner sequence going onto the start finish straight would be changed? So basically turning corner 18 and 19 into a single much more open corner by removing the centre piece of the road where now the statue of Fangio is on. This would make the straight more or less start at Rascasse instead of turn 19, so lengthening it by about 80 meters. Might be just enough to give a bit more chance to stick your nose in at turn 1.

Might also influence line choice through Rascasse. You'd want a late apex to maximise exit onto the straight then, but you don't want to open up too much to leave a gap on the inside. If you keep it tight to not offer that gap, the guy behind could choose the late apex for maximizing speed onto the straight.
It’s easy
Do away with chicane after tunnel
Fill in swimming pool
Knock down all that new stuff on Rasgas . Back to proper hairpin
Eg Go back to original before developers messed it about.
Can’t see it ever working !
Old 31 May 2022, 20:23 (Ref:4112315)   #97
Theunser
Racer

Theunser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Coming back to Monaco. Would it make any significant difference for overtaking if the final corner sequence going onto the start finish straight would be changed? So basically turning corner 18 and 19 into a single much more open corner by removing the centre piece of the road where now the statue of Fangio is on. This would make the straight more or less start at Rascasse instead of turn 19, so lengthening it by about 80 meters. A smooth increasing radius corner like that is easier to following closer. Might be just enough to give a bit more chance to stick your nose in at turn 1.

Might also influence line choice through Rascasse. You'd want a late apex to maximise exit onto the straight then, but you don't want to open up too much to leave a gap on the inside. If you keep it tight to not offer that gap, the guy behind could choose the late apex for maximizing speed onto the straight. The way it is now, exit speed out of Rascasse is not important, cause you have to navigate turns 18 and 19 single file anyway and following there closely is not easy.

It's actually quite a good idea. It wouldn't mess up the iconic Monaco layout, yet it would make an opportunity for the overtake. Also a thing i don't get is why they made the chicane after Swimming pool faster in 2016.

But the problems with lack of overtaking not only in Monaco, but in general, I think is down to the cars. They are too big, too heavy and simply just too fast in the corners. Okay, I know F1 is meant to be the fastest, but it would make racing more exciting, and possibly more pure, and we might be able to get rid of DRS. I mean it's of course difficult to follow cars if your corner speed is let's say 240. Would it be let's say 190, it would be much more easier.
(The second part has nothing to do with this thread, but I think it's more the cars fault than the track. I can remember how the two Williams passed Alonso in 2005. They layout was the same...)
Old 31 May 2022, 22:37 (Ref:4112325)   #98
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunser View Post
It's actually quite a good idea. It wouldn't mess up the iconic Monaco layout, yet it would make an opportunity for the overtake. Also a thing i don't get is why they made the chicane after Swimming pool faster in 2016.

But the problems with lack of overtaking not only in Monaco, but in general, I think is down to the cars. They are too big, too heavy and simply just too fast in the corners. Okay, I know F1 is meant to be the fastest, but it would make racing more exciting, and possibly more pure, and we might be able to get rid of DRS. I mean it's of course difficult to follow cars if your corner speed is let's say 240. Would it be let's say 190, it would be much more easier.
(The second part has nothing to do with this thread, but I think it's more the cars fault than the track. I can remember how the two Williams passed Alonso in 2005. They layout was the same...)
Biggest issue with the Green line is the pit entry.
We saw over the weekend how easy it was for it to be blocked and we have seen in previous years the difficulty of getting out of the way whilst entering the pits. Cars entering the pits would cause all sorts of issues for the green line.
Old 31 May 2022, 22:51 (Ref:4112326)   #99
Theunser
Racer

Theunser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
We saw over the weekend how easy it was for it to be blocked and we have seen in previous years the difficulty of getting out of the way whilst entering the pits. Cars entering the pits would cause all sorts of issues for the green line.
Yes, that's true. Also the pit itself would have to be smaller, didn't it. The pit exit is also quite dangerous. I think it was Sainz on one of the practice sessions who either started or finished his lap and crossed the line at the pit exit, that being the quicker line, but someone just came out. It wasn't very eye-catching, even the commentators didn't mention it, but I noticed it. It's much like Paul Ricard. But i doubt they can do anything about it.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 10:55 (Ref:4112370)   #100
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
It’s easy
Do away with chicane after tunnel
Fill in swimming pool
Knock down all that new stuff on Rasgas . Back to proper hairpin
Eg Go back to original before developers messed it about.
Can’t see it ever working !

With these sort of cars it will indeed always be a challenge to provide a good race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunser View Post

Yes, the cars are too big. Things will improve with the smaller cars from 2016 on wards. I expect it won't be enough to make racing very good at Monaco, but at least it's a very decent step in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

Possibly, this is what it would roughly look like. You see both the current layout and what would be proposed.