Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Dec 2021, 08:35 (Ref:4090798)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Postscriptum

I never wished to be too drawn into the clickbait frenzy of cut-and-paste quote narratives that pervades the internet and deduces all too eagerly impending events, such as Lewis Hamilton's retirement following this punishing campaign.

As enticing as the speculation can be to while away an idle moment, I'm inclined to push it away, although I'm not the only one to have wondered if there was much in Lewis's comment post-race in response to Jenson Button's mention of coming back next year and fighting for the crown, in which he talked about getting through the pandemic and people enjoying their Christmas, 'and we will see about next year' other than the natural desire for some respite from this season. I would've thought it could quite easily be a mere reference to how he didn't want to ponder or comment on the motivation for 2022, a sense of living in the moment and needing a lengthy reset before even contemplating going through it all again. I did, nonetheless, consider that it may be that he had some thinking to do before deciding whether to go back and do it all again.

For the little I know of what his own thoughts would be, though, and here I am speculating, he will come back fully fired-up for another season, the new cars and ready and willing to take on Max. If anything, could this result with Verstappen as champion be even better for the spectator - a seven-time champion still trying to become indisputably the statistically most successful F1 driver in history while trying to come back from the brink?

We hear the metaphor of the 'changing of the guard' employed a lot. We've seen it with Schumacher deposing Senna and Alonso doing likewise to Schumacher, along with many others. How many times have we seen an F1 champion be toppled in such a generational way and then come back to win a championship?

I was thinking of Lauda, although his involved time out and a full comeback. Jack Brabham is another example - six years between his penultimate and final title, attaining the latter in his own car. Graham Hill and Mika Häkkinen raced on after their last championship, but didn't manage to reach the dizzy heights again. Mansell flirted with comebacks and success again. Jackie Stewart and Nico Rosberg quit while they were ahead.

If Lewis does win that eighth title, he will be in esteemed company and will arguably be rated higher than ever. The stage is set even better in 2022. Now we need to see whether both teams can provide a car capable of delivering with the new regulations. 'Still I rise' could have yet more significance.

Last edited by Born Racer; 21 Dec 2021 at 12:49.
Old 21 Dec 2021, 12:33 (Ref:4090815)   #2
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
For all the drivers it is all about motivation. The season gets longer ever year so plus pre season testing, awards, promo etc it must be at least 25 weeks of a year with all the travel in between. Some of the drivers could have a 20 year career in f1 if they wanted, several are well into teens of years.
Many of them have missed out on so much real life growing up due to the relentless pressure of getting to the top. Many now have wives and families and want to spend time with them which the race schedule does not allow for. That time away must be so vital for them. I do worry that Lewis will find it difficult to stop in that he does not have a family. "Hanging out" in LA with celebrity friends etc is perhaps not real life.
Old 21 Dec 2021, 12:43 (Ref:4090816)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do you mean that he would go on too long and be a shadow of his former self or just that he would not have a fulfilling personal life due to not stopping?
Old 21 Dec 2021, 15:55 (Ref:4090856)   #4
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much will depend on the balance of power of next years cars. RB/Newey's car's have evolved in a certain direction which was taken into increasingly more extreme design.

Next years cars will generate downforce in a completely new way. There might be a great chance for Mercedes and therefore Hamilton/Russel to dominate the 1st year of the new generation of cars.

Personally, I would like one more championship for Lewis before the real changing of the guard.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 21 Dec 2021, 17:30 (Ref:4090873)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Or a completely different team. Since the early 90s, though, it has been only Alpine, Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and Williams (in their various guises) who have prevailed.
Old 22 Dec 2021, 09:55 (Ref:4090950)   #6
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Or a completely different team. Since the early 90s, though, it has been only Alpine, Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and Williams (in their various guises) who have prevailed.
Yes, true.

I'm hopeful for:

Mercedes; large budget, good aero department.
Ferrari; I think that they already focussed a lot on 2022, since they could avoid a title fight, the mayor performance jump (engine) will also benefit 2022
Mclaren; Switched to 2022 development early.

No so much:

Red Bull, perhaps needed to keep pushing too long for the 2021 title, aero concept also so very different to what they are used to.

But really hard to say of course. 2022 testing will be extra interesting, to see who got it right.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 22 Dec 2021, 10:04 (Ref:4090952)   #7
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I'm seeing the rumour mill on the 'net has gone beserk with thoughts about what Hamilton alluded to, but in my humble opinion, he will not want to go out this way. This will feed his motivation for that eighth. And I would've thought he'd want to sample the new cars.
Old 22 Dec 2021, 12:31 (Ref:4090969)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I personally think way too much has been read into the briefest of comments that he made to Jenson. What else was he expected to say in the bizarre and hugely disappointing situation that he was in? I fully expect him to be back. I believe he wants to break Schuey's record and I would put good money on him doing it in 2022. Thereafter, who knows.....
Old 22 Dec 2021, 13:23 (Ref:4090978)   #9
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I want him to break Fangio's record too and be a champ at 47 but I guess he really will be bored with the circus by then!
Old 22 Dec 2021, 13:24 (Ref:4090979)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Yes, as much as anything, I can imagine after such a bruising experience, it's all too easy to not wish to start to ponder the next season straight away, only feel regret for not being able to alter what has just been and gone.
Old 23 Dec 2021, 06:56 (Ref:4091045)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
To be honest this is like Deja Vu from the last off season, when Lewis didn't sign until the last moment and there was too much speculation on what was happening
Old 23 Dec 2021, 16:05 (Ref:4091088)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

When Mark Webber quit F1, he did it with the knowledge that Red Bull were unlikely to get rid of Vettel, but with Verstappen in the ascendency, he was also aware he was potentially freeing up a seat there. He also knew (like Lewis Hamilton and Eddie 'even a stopped clock is right twice a day' Jordan) that Mercedes were on the up, but was pragmatic enough to realise he wouldn't ever be in the running for a seat there.

Then, Ricciardo went well, but fortunately Vettel left, as Kvyat kept the seat warm until Verstappen was finally placed there. And as part of Mark Webber's master plan, he had the foresight to ascertain that Verstappen was the only one who would be able to halt Hamilton's impending reign.

Mystic Mark could see that down the line, Red Bull would come good again, Verstappen would knock Hamilton off the top, drive him to retirement, and ease the path for his old pal Fernando Alonso to team up with his mutually respected buddy George Russell at Mercedes, thereby paving the way for Mark to fulfill his longstanding dream.

Webber to Alpine.
Old 23 Dec 2021, 16:21 (Ref:4091093)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Have you been on the Christmas sherry early again.....?
Old 23 Dec 2021, 17:46 (Ref:4091100)   #14
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Being sincere, it was actually a good whisky.
Old 23 Dec 2021, 17:57 (Ref:4091103)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That's alright then!
Old 24 Dec 2021, 11:12 (Ref:4091183)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think you're more likely to see Webber in an Alpine Hypercar at Le Mans
Old 28 Dec 2021, 17:04 (Ref:4091567)   #17
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Yes, true.

I'm hopeful for:

Mercedes; large budget, good aero department.
Ferrari; I think that they already focussed a lot on 2022, since they could avoid a title fight, the mayor performance jump (engine) will also benefit 2022
Mclaren; Switched to 2022 development early.

No so much:

Red Bull, perhaps needed to keep pushing too long for the 2021 title, aero concept also so very different to what they are used to.

But really hard to say of course. 2022 testing will be extra interesting, to see who got it right.
Mercedes will do their usual job. What Lewis has is a team that he knows will deliver a title contending car every time, that is his motivation. He will retire in a Mercedes, I have no doubt.

Ferrari - I don't think they will be consistent enough to challenge for titles over a season, I think they will be quick at some races and then turn up at some and be higher end of top 10's or so and not really know why. They are missing something, but i am not sure they can quite put their finger on it, they promise much over the winter and then can't seem to put it into practice.

McLaren have quietly done a superb job and made the car often top 3 contender on pace, arguably the weakest element is Ricciardo, who can't gel with the car consistently.

RBR -their engine dept is more or less Honda, so I don't think they will suffer and the car will be there or thereabouts. Perez has learnt a lot and will be better in 2022 I think, so in theory a Newey isnpired Car, more or less a development of the Honda engine and Max and Checo is a strong line up.
Old 28 Dec 2021, 17:05 (Ref:4091568)   #18
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think you're more likely to see Webber in an Alpine Hypercar at Le Mans
I doubt we will see MW in any race car again - apart from a Goodwood demo....