Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 17 Dec 2006, 11:40 (Ref:1792713)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Driver Files - General discussion.

I thought that I would open up a thread for comments/suggestions and enquiries for this new Sub-forum. Please feel free to contribute.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1793354)   #2
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
T-riffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I thought that I would open up a thread for comments/suggestions and enquiries for this new Sub-forum. Please feel free to contribute.
I have suggested to anyone who will listen that the likes of AtlasF1 and Ten/Tenths needs to get their collective act together and establish a joint Motor racing research resource that is easily searchable...that is...catalogued!!!

Drivers, Marques, Classifications, Eras etc....it aint hard.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1793376)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not hard technically maybe, but a big undertaking to the person or persons doing the graft, and very time consuming! Who is going to do it? Everyone on our site, and it's probably the same on most of the others, are effectively unpaid volunteers who do this between their jobs and other parts of their life. I don't think it is a case of not listening but more a matter of who/how/when and where do you start. It would mean a great deal of organisation, coordination and input from a lot people. Do you have the commitment to do this because I don't think I would have? It's a good idea though, and I think that what we are doing here is heading towards that ultimate goal, particularly if we can use the combined knowledge of those postings on all our forums to develop our Wiki, but it isn't going to happen overnight!

I'm not sure that you would get the degree of cooperation between the websites who are in (friendly?) rivalry. Then there are sites like Oldracingcars.com that are already providing big chunks of info!

My question was really more about this subforum in particular, although any input is welcome, thank you!
Old 18 Dec 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1793378)   #4
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
I have suggested to anyone who will listen that the likes of AtlasF1 and Ten/Tenths needs to get their collective act together and establish a joint Motor racing research resource that is easily searchable...that is...catalogued!!!

Drivers, Marques, Classifications, Eras etc....it aint hard.
This is our long term intention with the "Wiki", however every forum or website seems to think that theirs should be the definitive refence site and thus each will end up doing their own thing.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 13:21 (Ref:1793512)   #5
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wavelength

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Not hard technically maybe, but a big undertaking to the person or persons doing the graft, and very time consuming! Who is going to do it? Everyone on our site, and it's probably the same on most of the others, are effectively unpaid volunteers who do this between their jobs and other parts of their life. I don't think it is a case of not listening but more a matter of who/how/when and where do you start. It would mean a great deal of organisation, coordination and input from a lot people. Do you have the commitment to do this because I don't think I would have? It's a good idea though, and I think that what we are doing here is heading towards that ultimate goal, particularly if we can use the combined knowledge of those postings on all our forums to develop our Wiki, but it isn't going to happen overnight!

I'm not sure that you would get the degree of cooperation between the websites who are in (friendly?) rivalry. Then there are sites like Oldracingcars.com that are already providing big chunks of info!

My question was really more about this subforum in particular, although any input is welcome, thank you!
Hear Hear!!...nothing worthwhile is handed to you on a plate John This is a good initiative!! ...me happy
Old 18 Dec 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1793531)   #6
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Nationality

Ummm...I belatedly tried to add country of origin....should be MANDATORY
Old 18 Dec 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1793585)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
1) Why mandatory in the title? I think that the Nationality should not be added (at this stage) to the thread title - keep it simple! I agree that in any discussion/info etc on the thread that nationality, where known, should be included, and certainly when the driver profile gets into the Wiki, it should be included.
2) Have you read the few rules? We can't just have a list of drivers without info; it would be endless! Please don't start driver threads in here without putting some real info. in! If you (or anyone else) hasn't put some proper info. on Foley and Geoghan within the next 24 hours, I'll move it out to the main forum until there are some solid contributions that warrant their return!

PS, I now see 4 threads started here and whilst I'm delighted at your enthusiasm, guys, please read the rules. Unless you are going to put some hard facts or anecdotes about a driver on your own first post, the place to start the discusson is in the Main History forum!

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Dec 2006 at 14:28.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 13:47 (Ref:1795766)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well, I've actually left it 48 hours and since those 4 threads have had no info. added to them, I have put them into the main forum where they may get a wider audience. I will also look for any posts about these drivers whilst I'm trawling the thread archive for suitable candidates for this sub forum.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1796752)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Once I have trawled through the History forum (3 sweeps should be sufficient; halfway through the second at the moment), I'll start looking in the Tributes forum and take copies of selected threads or posts to help build this sub forum. 275GTB-4 has already found an excellent example of the former for Ian (Pete) Geoghan, but pure tributes will not be included. It has to be fact or anecdotal.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 15:34 (Ref:2114123)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Now that we are in the quieter part iof the racing season, anyone feel like adding details of some of their favourite drivers? I've added Gerry Marshall and Dave Preece today, so let's try to build on this forum. It should, in theory, be as successful as the Chassis Archive. There are thousands of drivers out there meriting inclusion, here.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2387984)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
call me slow but Ive only just found this gem on Ten tenths (10 years isnt too long to go and have a wander from my normal haunts is it?)

what an awesome sub forum and I will surely visit whenever I am online

Kudos
Old 4 Feb 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2387994)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Marcus; we started it just over 2 years ago, but, of course, you'll see earlier posts 'trawled' from earlier threads.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 23:23 (Ref:2413976)   #13
parallax
Rookie

Australia
Perth -Australia
parallax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivers

Hi I am very new to this Site but I have many famous drivers on my Facebook as friends. Also throughmy Brother Steve Nally who is a Motor Sports driver I have managed to find , by going from one driver to another some greats of the racing world, IE: found Vern Schuppan hiding in Adelaide, and linked into Brian Redman,, J-L Sclesser,J-P Jarier {he along with Alan Jones and Vern and he came 5th at 1985 Le Mans} then Teddy Petter, Jurgen Barth, Mike Wilds , Rolf Strommlein/Tambay /Boutsen etc.
Are these the types you mean, or is it just Aussie drivers, missing men like Hawkins, Gardner, Hamilton , the ones that went to Europe. I just need to know as I follow the Euro Historic Race season
Just wondering, as I try to build my knowledge of the Australian scene.

I only got into cars after seeing the mighty Sauber "AEG " Mercedes C-9's of Baldi/Acheson/Scleseer and Mass kill off the Porsche 962's at Sandown in 1989, I was a plane nut and in the SAS in the Army then.
But that race made it for me, if I hade gone in 84 I would have seen Sir Jack Brabham driving a Rothmans 962 camera car!
So I need some advice here on the driver and cars scene.
I love ia all now
cheers
Chris
Old 12 Mar 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2414152)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Chris, it's for any racing driver, any nationality and at any level from Club racing to F1. It's for those who wish to provide anecdote or facts about their favourite drivers. Browse through a few of these threads, and you'll get the idea.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 17:23 (Ref:2865868)   #15
DhangoMicheli
Rookie

Argentina
Rosario, Santa Fe
DhangoMicheli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi John
I'm kind of new here and I have a question for you.
¿What's the exact purpose of this thread? If I have info, photos, stats, anything about, let's say, Carlos Reutemann ¿Is this the right place?
Old 18 Apr 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2865876)   #16
DhangoMicheli
Rookie

Argentina
Rosario, Santa Fe
DhangoMicheli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hi John, I'm new here but I have a question for you:
¿What's the exact purpose of this thread? If I have info, data, photos, stats of, say, Carlos Reutemann for share ¿is this the right place?
Old 23 Apr 2011, 08:00 (Ref:2868490)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Hi, DM, welcome. I think if you read through this thread and then a few of the individual driver file threads, you'll get the general idea. Basically if you have any career information or interesting stories about individual drivers which you are prepared to share, this is the place to do it. Carlos Reutemann would certainly be a very good subject.