Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 17 Jan 2008, 18:38 (Ref:2108216)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dan Clarke eyes the IRL with Panther

God, as if he wasn't a hazard in CC now on the ovals? You decide...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64741
Old 17 Jan 2008, 20:39 (Ref:2108291)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
that was my first thought too!
Old 17 Jan 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2108306)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I love how he sees Panther as a climbing ladder on his way to penske. I'm sure panther loves the thought of that.

Overall he never has really impressed and has had a lot of stupid incidents. I'm sure the irl will love to have him.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2108307)   #4
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
interesting how he goes from good prospect for the future into walking disaster zone overnight.....

must be something to do with him potentially turning his back on champ car......

Old 17 Jan 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2108333)   #5
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
i dont think he's really been a good prospect since the early part of his first season really. he was completed walked over by Dornboss last year.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 21:48 (Ref:2108341)   #6
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mmmmmmm an excess of optimism over ability i think, considering he hasn't set foot on an oval yet. He certainly will have to temper his driving if he wants to see 2009, assuming he ends up in IRL. What was that old phrase about "old and bold indy drivers' !!!.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 00:21 (Ref:2108435)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
interesting how he goes from good prospect for the future into walking disaster zone overnight.....

must be something to do with him potentially turning his back on champ car......

Not at all fair. Dan was certainly looking promising in 2006, but much hope was lost in 2007. It is time for new scenery.

I think he could do a good job in Indycar, and he does have some serious raw talent, but I can well understand why Champcar fans are glad to see the back of him. He probably should have left mid-2007...
Old 18 Jan 2008, 01:37 (Ref:2108454)   #8
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
or dear god...have fun scraping all those cars off those oval walls...although I would be happy to proven wrong...

As for me, I won't be sad to see him out of CCWS...
Old 18 Jan 2008, 02:50 (Ref:2108474)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Well I've never really been a fan. But if you want him you can have him.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 02:52 (Ref:2108475)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Not at all fair. Dan was certainly looking promising in 2006, but much hope was lost in 2007. It is time for new scenery.

I think he could do a good job in Indycar, and he does have some serious raw talent, but I can well understand why Champcar fans are glad to see the back of him. He probably should have left mid-2007...
He always seemed to keep involved in one stupid incident after another. Certainly he has some speed or probably better said some daring, but you've got to keep that on the road and finish races without hitting other solid objects.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 06:43 (Ref:2108527)   #11
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In reality he sounds more like a candidate for the second SAMAX car or second D&R car.

His Ticketmaster money+TEAM should be enough to fund a ride for the year.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 07:29 (Ref:2108541)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strangely none of the previous posts focus on the main problem which Clarke indicates as the real reason of his switch to IRL:

"The only drivers who can survive in Champ Car are the ones who have sponsors," he told Autosport. "I love racing in America and I want to start earning a living here."

Then CC fans may be happy about him leaving but that means one more empty spot on the grid for CC, and one more pay driver needed.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 08:00 (Ref:2108551)   #13
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
well, he has/did have sizeable sponsorship from Ticketmaster and a little from Highland Spring ( so I suspect he was a pay driver in 07). Maybe Ticketmaster (UK I believe) want him in IRL?
Old 18 Jan 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2108558)   #14
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Strangely none of the previous posts focus on the main problem which Clarke indicates as the real reason of his switch to IRL:

"The only drivers who can survive in Champ Car are the ones who have sponsors," he told Autosport. "I love racing in America and I want to start earning a living here."

Then CC fans may be happy about him leaving but that means one more empty spot on the grid for CC, and one more pay driver needed.
don't mention pay drivers! they throw a paddy about it

but it's an excellent point you make
Old 18 Jan 2008, 11:13 (Ref:2108640)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks stradlin

Moreover it should be noticed that a team like Panther was sufficient to convice Dan; a team which is not surely among the richest ever.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2108824)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The point about pay drivers is hardly a revelation though. It is more or less common knowledge for years and no doubt discussed in many threads by now!

But back to Dan, I think he could do good job in Indycar. It is such a different discipline that he will have to reassess his approach. Therefore, I don't foresee him stacking into walls every race or causing huge incidents. It may be the break he requires to instill some much needed discipline into his driving.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2108912)   #17
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
But back to Dan, I think he could do good job in Indycar. It is such a different discipline that he will have to reassess his approach. Therefore, I don't foresee him stacking into walls every race or causing huge incidents. It may be the break he requires to instill some much needed discipline into his driving.
Fingers crossed, never like seeing anyone in a single seater stack it 'Dan-style' into oval walls, Safer barriers or not
Old 18 Jan 2008, 18:52 (Ref:2108956)   #18
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I do love the way you categorize members of this forum into two groups, CC fans or IRL fans. This isn't CCF or TF ya know.

As for me, I did like Clarke because he is English and in 2006 he has some good races for his rookie status and was fast. However if you actually watched you'd see how dangerous he was in CC. Crashing out under yellows just one example. If he were to race on the ovals at high speed, I sure wouldn't want to be wheel to wheel with him at 220mph or whatever.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 21:46 (Ref:2109068)   #19
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
i don't post on CCF or TF, i have no interest too

i don't have any contacts on here, i don't hunt in packs or get myself egg'd on by others mate. i'm here as an individual.

but back to Clarke, he can get adjusted to the ovals

remember how erratic Ed Carpenter was at Cheever, he improved, so can Dan
Old 18 Jan 2008, 23:54 (Ref:2109136)   #20
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You never know, really. It's such a different form of racing. However, you do get the feeling that Dan could use a fresh start because Champ Car wasn't really going that great.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 02:53 (Ref:2109187)   #21
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think that dan lacks the precision required for oval racing. good oval racers are very smooth and precise drivers. those are not adjectives i think i'd ever apply to his driving. there are a few CCWS drivers who might be good candidates for such a transition, and justin wilson, oriol servia, simon pagenaud and possibly graham rahal come to mind. but i really don't think dan clarke has what it takes to run well on an oval...
Old 19 Jan 2008, 04:05 (Ref:2109203)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi
i think that dan lacks the precision required for oval racing. good oval racers are very smooth and precise drivers. those are not adjectives i think i'd ever apply to his driving. there are a few CCWS drivers who might be good candidates for such a transition, and justin wilson, oriol servia, simon pagenaud and possibly graham rahal come to mind. but i really don't think dan clarke has what it takes to run well on an oval...
I don't even think he's ever even been on an oval before.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2109429)   #23
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
think he raced milwaukie before
Old 19 Jan 2008, 17:04 (Ref:2109441)   #24
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yeah he must have just done 1 oval race which was Milwaukee back in 2006...Not that it means anything..
Old 19 Jan 2008, 17:39 (Ref:2109458)   #25
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I don't even think he's ever even been on an oval before.

Started 11th and finished 8th at Milwaukee in 2006...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.