Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Mar 2020, 09:20 (Ref:3963317)   #76
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Are you checking the LC's? C'on!
Old 12 Mar 2020, 10:17 (Ref:3963339)   #77
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
LC's bâillement Haven't seen a real one for years

I just pop in to see if there's anything interesting, like a proper old race car
Old 12 Mar 2020, 13:44 (Ref:3963444)   #78
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Not a huge amount of cars there TBH . . .

No idea why they're upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
hudsonS6.jpg   904.jpg   mm2.jpg  

MMMcCturbo.jpg  
Old 12 Mar 2020, 16:52 (Ref:3963493)   #79
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of beautiful formula juniors run by Simon Diffey, Mike Whittaker 4 wheel drifting through the chicane in the Capri, Bastos Camero thundering round, very sweet Lotus Elite and an even sweeter Elva undergoing a gearbox change plus an enormous Hudson with rear brakes only, what's not to like! Plus free viewing!
Old 13 Mar 2020, 16:22 (Ref:3963902)   #80
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'm taking my MGB I'm not running in the MM this year. But will be good to meet up.
Sorry for OT but sadly with the current state of travel here in Europe I don't think I'll be making it over there Peter. Have a great day out.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 16:24 (Ref:3963904)   #81
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Begging question...

Surely this will join the scrapheap of cancellations?
Old 13 Mar 2020, 16:35 (Ref:3963911)   #82
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not currently. Just received an update which reflects the current government guidelines.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 07:48 (Ref:3964108)   #83
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
UK government set to announce ban on large scale public events (believed to be more than 500 people) from next weekend.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 14 Mar 2020, 07:49 (Ref:3964109)   #84
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup. They said they would be flexible to this so we wait and see what GW do.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 08:05 (Ref:3964111)   #85
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Snetterton should go ahead then . Normally only get 3 spectators . Guess the marshalls will have to separate them .
Old 14 Mar 2020, 08:11 (Ref:3964113)   #86
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Snetterton should go ahead then . Normally only get 3 spectators . Guess the marshalls will have to separate them .
4 ! I'm planning to come across this year. Will keep a reasonable distance from other snappers.

Will be interested to see what Goodwood do having mucked up communicating the original date (due to the Vietnamese GP) - full refunds and trebles all round, chaps ? !
Old 14 Mar 2020, 08:24 (Ref:3964118)   #87
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Goodwood have sent out an email yesterday to competitors that reads as "business as usual" suggesting the meeting will go ahead as planned.

It contains some weak action items about hand sanitising......

I cant see how this will go ahead.
At this point in time, Germany had 8 deaths ascribed to Coronavirus so far. UK has 11 in a smaller population
In Germany 12 of 18 states have closed schools and kindergartens for 2 weeks, more states will chime in
Bundesliga has cancelled completely
Gathering of over 1.000 persons have been outlawed in Germany
Some areas now require a permit for gatherings of more then 50 persons
In Hamburg all theatres have closed,
Restaurant and bar closures are beeing discussed

And in this world Goodwod suggests that hand sanitizing will make a difference and that an event of 10.000 participants will go ahead

I understand that they are concerned about the commercial impact of a cancellation or postponement and that to them the fine print sets out what they feel they can do and what can not be done at what point in time

It probably makes a huge difference to be ordered by the government to shutdown as opposed to voluntarily do it

Buuuut, the earlier we know as competitors the less costly and akward this is going to be. Worst case scenario for me is to fly in, prepare the car, bring the crew only to be turned back at signing on
More or less what F1 have done in Australia, resulting in a lot of egg on a lot of faces
Maximum cost incurred for no play
Icing on the cake then would be getting stranded at Heathrow by some sort of shutdown

Personally, i am not scared, just pragmatic

RuE
Old 14 Mar 2020, 08:36 (Ref:3964120)   #88
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I think they’re trying to do a ‘Cheltenham Festival’, but of course everything is changing daily, and my gut feeling is that the event won’t go ahead.

I’d be delighted to be proved wrong, though.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 08:46 (Ref:3964121)   #89
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I think they’re trying to do a ‘Cheltenham Festival’, but of course everything is changing daily, and my gut feeling is that the event won’t go ahead.

Pls explain the "Cheltenham" remark to Jonny Foreigner...

RuE
Old 14 Mar 2020, 08:48 (Ref:3964122)   #90
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Not in the UK at the moment and somewhat surprised to see Cheltenham go ahead. There's "mad dogs and Englishmen" and then there's ...

However, seeing the mess F1 made of their cancellation, agree - make a decision early so everyone can change arrangements / minimise cost. Personally only committed for ticket price this year but many will have committed / paid out a significant amount.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 08:53 (Ref:3964124)   #91
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Will go for a motorbike ride now, all my bikes tested negative, even the Ducati, so completely safe.

RuE
Old 14 Mar 2020, 08:58 (Ref:3964125)   #92
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Rudi, Cheltrnham Festival is the biggest for day horse racing festival in the UK. Attracts around 60k per day. It went ahead this week. I was also surprised.

Yes I've committed serious money for tickets to the MM since I'm not racing. But, I fully expect it to be cancelled. They do need to make a timely decision though and frankly nothing is going to improve in two weeks.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 09:04 (Ref:3964127)   #93
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Rudi, Cheltrnham Festival is the biggest for day horse racing festival in the UK. Attracts around 60k per day. It went ahead this week. I was also surprised.

Yes I've committed serious money for tickets to the MM since I'm not racing. But, I fully expect it to be cancelled. They do need to make a timely decision though and frankly nothing is going to improve in two weeks.

Ah.....
The German term for this is:
"Augen zu und durch !"
translates to
"Just close Your eyes an drive through it"
And yes, its straight out of: "The golden book of sound advice"

I have comitted to an extensive car rebuild, especially for the MM
Well, at least I have a great car now

RuE
Old 14 Mar 2020, 09:19 (Ref:3964130)   #94
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes we can take some positives from this.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 09:21 (Ref:3964131)   #95
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I imagine Goodwood sent that out following the UK government position on Monday that they had no plans (currently) to ban publc gatherings, but accroding to today's news that has changed and legislation to bring in the ban will be brought before parliament this week, effective next weekend.

So Goodwood caught out by the reported change in government positon. TOCA made the same sort of announcement yesterday based on the government advice on Thursday.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 14 Mar 2020, 09:28 (Ref:3964135)   #96
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
MSUK and all other organisations are basically saying the same thing.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 12:55 (Ref:3964171)   #97
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
MSUK and all other organisations are basically saying the same thing.
Which is all likely to change given the reports of a shift in Government position towards banning certain types of "events" ....

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Old 14 Mar 2020, 13:03 (Ref:3964173)   #98
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes I agree. Although I would have hoped that the organisers would take the decision without government announcements.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 13:12 (Ref:3964175)   #99
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes I agree. Although I would have hoped that the organisers would take the decision without government announcements.

Maybe insurance considerations have some effect here. If an organiser cancels of its own free will insurance may not cover costs. If it's a government directive they may be covered.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 13:16 (Ref:3964176)   #100
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes I understand that. The problem is that punters don't.