Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Nov 2019, 13:28 (Ref:3943844)   #101
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I would imagine there are one or two current race cars for sale, and likely the cheapest option! Just have to be careful to make sure the car is legal before buying- having an HTP is not a guarantee!
Old 1 Dec 2019, 07:43 (Ref:3943974)   #102
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...g-gt350r-clone
As Mike says, what about the HTP?
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...0-gtr-race-car
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...ustang-replica
Or a nice projets
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...ck-gt350h-1965
Ready to ruin… Sorry, ready to win!
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...350-1965-5s177

Last edited by Gerard C; 1 Dec 2019 at 07:51.
Old 1 Dec 2019, 11:35 (Ref:3944004)   #103
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Price and provenance seem to vary as wildly as lotus Cortinas.

Old 1 Dec 2019, 13:25 (Ref:3944026)   #104
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Good one Joe! If you ponder with the rarity and price level it could be considered as worse!
And how to be sure you're buying a fully compliant car? OK, if the engine has been sealed by a MS UK inspector but the rest of the thing? Is it reasonable to buy a "on the button race ready car" because you've better to fully strip it before any official race?
Hope this won't upset drbob but imo guess he's already aware about!!
Old 1 Dec 2019, 14:00 (Ref:3944035)   #105
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Because the thread was more or less "what to challenge/beat Cobras and E's" and no TVR thank you and if my list is up to date, all Shelby GT's - GT 350, GT 350 and GT 500- were granted a Grp3 homologation. Then modifications of period can put them either in Grp4 or may be in Grp5. Or in invitation class…*
May be it's worth have a look to form #504 issued 1/1/66, displacement 4727 to start?
Old 1 Dec 2019, 14:56 (Ref:3944042)   #106
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Well may be #191 from 4/1965 would be better. Anyway, there's a special appendix in PA regulation for ISO A3/C, Jaguar Type E, Shelby Cobra, Shelby 350 GT et Porsche 911. Just ask.
Old 1 Dec 2019, 19:25 (Ref:3944091)   #107
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just another link to a car ( Corvette Stingray C2 7.0 ) but thought I'd post as it is 'claimed' to be able to run with the Cobras and is pretty cheap.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...g-ray---reduce

Good luck on finding a Mustang Bob.
Old 1 Dec 2019, 19:46 (Ref:3944098)   #108
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ha yes? Since when 396 ci make 7 litre? Is it out of VAT or pre-Brexit?
Old 1 Dec 2019, 19:52 (Ref:3944101)   #109
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Let’s be honest, the seller is not going to claim that the car can’t run with Cobras etc.....

6.5 litres? That’s not far off.....
Old 1 Dec 2019, 19:59 (Ref:3944104)   #110
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does seem a little far fetched

More posted out of how ridiculous a little it sounded.
Old 1 Dec 2019, 20:11 (Ref:3944109)   #111
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
This one is a FHT. When we had to chose the version we would like to race in CER to win the GT category, we were surprised to see that some years were "better" than others…*Bonnet scoop present or not, fake or not, rear part of the front wings moulded with louvers and so on. We ended with a very light looking good body. And a 427 which IS really close to 7 litre… And you can't imagine what a good carb can do for this kind of toy! I still have my bench figures in mind. Impressive and user friendly. I loved this car.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 08:18 (Ref:3944175)   #112
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now Will that is a good find, I’m now keen on a Corvette as well
I’ve had a look at the car, well the advertisement any way
I see it’s price reduced so it’s been on the market for a while
It has a hill climb race FIA HTP so I wonder it is fully race spec
But I don’t understand this:
Looking at the FIA Database for homologation for the pre 66 Corvettes I cannot see anything for 65 Vettes with a big engine and 4 wheel disc brakes
There is no extension to the homologation that I can see authorising those improvements
What am I missing
That said very interested
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:17 (Ref:3944223)   #113
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I think disc brakes were homologated from February '66, vented front, solid rear, center lock wheels.
You could contact PA directly as said above they have special accommodations for some cars, including the 'Vette. I'm sure we had discs all round but it was in 2007/2008, équipage Dumas and me.
May you'll find evidences of car using a big block and four discs entered in an international event but any bit must have been legally used…
You can also run a '66 car and have it accepted in the invitation class.
I think its a really enjoyable car even though its really hard to stop…
To the question what are you missing, my answer is nothing!
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:24 (Ref:3944226)   #114
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Peter Auto website. Series. Sixties' endurance . After Article 3 VOITURES ADMISES you'll find A Voitures éligibles blah blah blah then
ARTICLE 4-TECHNIQUE and this will appear: Les ISO A3/C, Jaguar Type E, Shelby Cobra, Shelby 350 GT et Porsche 911 sont soumises Ã* une réglementation spécifique. (Documents disponibles sur demande). Worth a discussion with Mike and a phone call to France, dont you think so?
Old 2 Dec 2019, 13:07 (Ref:3944263)   #115
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I’m sure Dr Bob is capable without having to involve me! The dealer / seller is well known in the world of historic racing, and I’ve not heard anything to suggest he is anything but honest! (But he is a dealer.... )

There has been a 1964 C2 Corvette racing in PA 60s Endurance, not so much in 2019 though. Dutch owned, and pretty sure a ‘big block’. Also black.....
Old 2 Dec 2019, 13:58 (Ref:3944279)   #116
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I’m sure Dr Bob is capable without having to involve me! The dealer / seller is well known in the world of historic racing, and I’ve not heard anything to suggest he is anything but honest! (But he is a dealer.... )

There has been a 1964 C2 Corvette racing in PA 60s Endurance, not so much in 2019 though. Dutch owned, and pretty sure a ‘big block’. Also black.....
I know the one ,the driver also races a Mustang aswell I believe in the NKHTGT series.

Yes,just look at the list of cars he is selling.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3944281)   #117
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
I know the one ,the driver also races a Mustang aswell I believe in the NKHTGT series.

Yes, just look at the list of cars he is selling.
Correct, and yes! A friend was contemplating the M1 that was for sale with the dealer, but eventually went for something else (and British).....
Old 3 Dec 2019, 15:58 (Ref:3944573)   #118
pomracer
Racer

pomracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I think disc brakes were homologated from February '66, vented front, solid rear, center lock wheels.
You could contact PA directly as said above they have special accommodations for some cars, including the 'Vette. I'm sure we had discs all round but it was in 2007/2008, équipage Dumas and me.
May you'll find evidences of car using a big block and four discs entered in an international event but any bit must have been legally used…
You can also run a '66 car and have it accepted in the invitation class.
I think its a really enjoyable car even though its really hard to stop…
To the question what are you missing, my answer is nothing!
To race in pre 66, Period F, you need a "1965" spec car which was homologated with (vented) disc brakes all round, and the 396 cubic inch big block engine, NOT the 427. The car was homologated with a "big tank" fuel tank which is further forward and helps weight distribution.
Talking of which, whatever you do with the fibreglass body you cannot get them below a certain weight as the chassis is substantial, but you can extract quite a lot of power out of the 396 these days.
Beware some cars run the incorrect 67 hood/bonnet, and of course incorrect engine.
I cannot remember the homologation number, but there are two if not three sets of different homologation papers on the FIA database including the earlier '63 split rear window car with 327 cu inch and drum brakes, so it is easy to get confused.
Old 3 Dec 2019, 19:03 (Ref:3944614)   #119
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Think you're right and when looking for discs homologated all round, the homologation form number should be # 523. From the data base I read it was received in October '65 and valid from Feb '66. And yes, this is confusing. At least for me.

Is this one tempting, Doctor?
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C974830
Old 3 Dec 2019, 22:06 (Ref:3944635)   #120
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry Gerard Robert is not keen on a E Type . I did like the noise coming from the Cobra that Will posted . Yes could have some of that .
Old 3 Dec 2019, 22:24 (Ref:3944639)   #121
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Sorry Gerard Robert is not keen on a E Type . I did like the noise coming from the Cobra that Will posted . Yes could have some of that .
Pleasure sharing.

I could aswell. Fair few quid though .

Just to sit in one would be enough for me
Old 4 Dec 2019, 07:07 (Ref:3944667)   #122
drbob
Racer

Pommracer and Gerard thank you for that information on the Corvette.
I too Gerard remain confused but given my lack of familiarity with the car I am not surprised.
The E type Gerard would a very attractive proposition but I don't want an E type or Cobra.
We were set to inspect a Shelby Mustang but alas it was sold before we could do so.
It looks as though the list has narrowed to Shelby Mustang or Corvette.
However a TVR might still be in the mix. Maybe something else unusual like a Maserati 3500GT
I still have a little time before deciding.
delta says something is sure to turn
Thanks to all for your help
I will let you know when we get something
Old 4 Dec 2019, 07:09 (Ref:3944668)   #123
drbob
Racer

Oh I forgot to say maybe I should just bring over the Group C Bathurst RX7 instead
Old 4 Dec 2019, 09:41 (Ref:3944694)   #124
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Corvette C2 you refer to for Pre-66 is 187 GT but again guys, there is no way you can rewrite the history books. Although it has the vented discs all around, it weighs 1225kg as a minimum weight and if you reach it, has cast iron exhaust manifolds and much less performance option than a Cobra or GT350 let's say, then you have to handle the power over the distance and on those tyres. If the Cobra wasn't beaten by a homologated 'Vette in 65', there's a reason...
Old 4 Dec 2019, 10:32 (Ref:3944703)   #125
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yup, if they were that competitive they’d be a lot of them on the grid!