Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:10 (Ref:913589)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Kimi gets agro

Bear in mind I have not see the footage yet, and I'm getting this second hand from MrV (always a mistake ), but I'm told Kimi pushed a Marshal when his car broke.

While I can understand his frustration, this is disgusting IMO. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Will he be penalised? I for one hope so.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:12 (Ref:913594)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah he did, but it's not the first time we've seen a driver do that, nor will it be the last. He was hot, the adrenalin was running, he'd just had his second DNF in as many races. I think he was justified in being a bit narked.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:13 (Ref:913601)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're talking total nonsense I'm afraid.

He's just got out of the car, at a very hot race, adrenalin's still pumping.

He shrugged off the marshal's attempt to direct him.

It wasn't an attack or even "aggro".

It wasn't "disgusting".

There shouldn't and won't be any penalty.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:13 (Ref:913602)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
AS I said, I can understand that, but if I were the marshal, I wonder how he would have gone after I belted him back!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:16 (Ref:913613)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Belted him back" is a ridiculous thing to say - and bears no relation to what happened at all.

And if you were a marshal who hit a driver, you'd not be marshalling again.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:17 (Ref:913616)   #6
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reckon he was more angry with the car and took it out on the guy who touched him.

The fact that he called the guy 'Ron' is pure rumour!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:19 (Ref:913623)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be pushing things to call it a shrug really.

Wrex, you'll be dissapointed by the footage I'm afraid!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:20 (Ref:913626)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was really just a reaction to the marshal who was trying to steer him behind the barrier by grabbing his arm. Don't think there's anything in it. Not like the time master James punched that marshal anyway.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:21 (Ref:913634)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's not like when James Hunt punched a marshal. If I was in a mood as bad as Kimi's, I wouldn't want anyone grabbing me either.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:22 (Ref:913635)   #10
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
The marhall came from behind pointing back at the car for some reason. Kimi merely said leave me alone (with a bit of a shrug) and the marshal did? Nothing serious I dont think.

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:34 (Ref:913666)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Mr V - your in for an ass kicking yourself when you get to Oz

I heard there was a full-on Melee

K-B, maybe you should 'kick-back' and chill a bit. Or at least read the opening part of my post.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:38 (Ref:913681)   #12
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the iceman melted!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:38 (Ref:913683)   #13
f1truestory
Racer

f1truestory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
after that anger and hot heat, i would do the same.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:38 (Ref:913686)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back

He shrugged off the marshal's attempt to direct him.

K-B, he didn't "shrug it off" he "pushed the guy away".

I can understand that he was frustrated, but these millionaires need to treat the "underlings" with more respect imo. Without the marshal's, the likes of Kimi can't race, ergo, can't earn their millions.

Last edited by Mr V; 21 Mar 2004 at 09:42.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:50 (Ref:913706)   #15
G Halls
Rookie

G Halls should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a invasion of personnel space, Kimi's car had just given up and he was pumped with adrenaline, Huge frustration and anger all boiling up inside and then a marshall starts tugging at you!!
The question is How would Montoya react in that situation?
Hopefully Kimi will not be distracted by any bad press from this and can instead focus on the job in hand and get his team back fighting for the championship!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:51 (Ref:913711)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I doubt Montoya would react....
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:51 (Ref:913712)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think his reaction was acceptabole. The marshal was interfering at a moment when it was compeltely unneccessary. Kimi was bound to be disappointed and emotional having lost out on secure points, and the sheer adrenaline of racing a car does cause you to react in these ways. No harm was done, I'm sure the marshal will laugh it off and not be discouraged from doing his duties again.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:52 (Ref:913713)   #18
prestonsau
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia /China
prestonsau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KIMI gets agro

ON THE ONE HAND at my marshal's training I was told NEVER to approach within arm's length of a driver whose just got out of a retired car
ON THE OTHER HAND if that driver and the marshal have no common language how to direct the driver where to move his ass, NOW ! ! !

Blue Flag meaning: There's a race going on an you're not in it!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:54 (Ref:913718)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The marshals are there to do a job, which includes making sure that the driver moves to safety as quickly as possible. How many times have we seen a driver retire and stand by his car for 10 seconds or so whilst he's frustrated?

As i said, these marshals need to be treated with more respect imo.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:57 (Ref:913723)   #20
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
As i said, these marshals need to be treated with more respect imo.
Agreed. While the debate so far seems to be on how hard he pushed him, or shrugged him, or whatever you want to call it. However the marshal was doing his job, and as far as I know, the drivers must obey all instructions given to them.

Thats regardless of if they in the middle of a hissy fit or not.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:58 (Ref:913726)   #21
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kimi got out of his car and was walking off the circuit into "safety" when one of the marshals ran up, grab his arm and tried to direct him. Kimi just gave that guy a shove.

Can't blame him really, even ice melt under that sort of heat, and Kimi must be real disgusted that his car expired again. What's worse is that it retired from a almost sure 3rd spot.

But i agree with MrV too that marshals need to be treated with more respect. It isn;t the first time that Kimi shove marshals around.

But of course, some marshals do get too "helpful" at times, so it's really a small issue. Doubt it'd have any major uproar.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:58 (Ref:913727)   #22
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with Mr. V, the marshal hardly touched him... looks like poor conduct to me.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:59 (Ref:913728)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

It was hardly a "hissy fit" and I don't think Kimi was in a particularly unsafe place when it happened.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 10:00 (Ref:913730)   #24
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wow, now your a safety expert. Who decides whats safe and what is'nt?

Oh thats right - the marshals!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 10:24 (Ref:913764)   #25
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Why did the marshal then just leave him after that and look away!? If he was doing his JOB he would have kept at it...

But yes marshals do deserve more resepect! They have a thankless job. Hats off to them!