Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2004, 17:43 (Ref:914108)   #1
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button's Third not Mentioned on "London Tonight"!

Sorry for the regional focus of this post.

Just watched the London Tonight news broadcast. Sports section F1 report mentioned Coulthard's 8th place, Raikkonen's retirement and Schumacher M's win but no mention at all of Button's 3rd place and first podium.

I'm flabbergasted! Where's the support for our own drivers and the credit when they do well?
Old 21 Mar 2004, 17:46 (Ref:914111)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I changed the title to make it more clearly an F1 post.

And here I thought that Button was great new British hope!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 17:50 (Ref:914117)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Local news bulletins - what can you say - prob had to cut the item short for a feature on odd shape vegetables found in a back garden somewhere....
Old 21 Mar 2004, 18:00 (Ref:914124)   #4
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EERO: Thanks for the title change, makes it much clearer.

ST: The tone of the report and the way it started with Coulthard made it sound like a report on how the British drivers and teams did today except in my eyes they completely missed the point. It's an ITV broadcast too so it's not as if they don't know any different.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 18:20 (Ref:914145)   #5
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well known Londoner David Coulthard isn't he
Old 21 Mar 2004, 18:22 (Ref:914147)   #6
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have always found the thought that drivers who live in Monte Carlo for tax reasons, stand up David Coulthard, to still be British amusing.
Imagine if they had to play the real national anthum(?) dependent upon where the drivers currently lived. I suspect that Monaco would be well represented.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 19:44 (Ref:914199)   #7
Russ
Rookie

Russ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see MS genuinely pleased for Jenson,whereas Juan mainly concentrated on looking sorry for himself.A(Am i allowed to say that Mod's?)
Old 21 Mar 2004, 20:12 (Ref:914222)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I noticed and commented to all who could be bothering to listen to me

What a joke, DC was mentioned before the race winner, Michael and Jenson wasn't mentioned at all , do these people who write the script actually bother to look at the results or have a clue about what people want to hear?
Old 21 Mar 2004, 20:14 (Ref:914224)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Good to see MS genuinely pleased for Jenson,whereas Juan mainly concentrated on looking sorry for himself.A(Am i allowed to say that Mod's?)
In parc ferme, JPM looked happy for Jenson and congratulated him.

As an aside, Michael also looked genuinely happy for Webber yesterday in the press conference.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 20:31 (Ref:914241)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Didn't here it but I have to say that the Turkish commentaters were also on the edge of their seats when Sato stopped. Stammered "Butto" er "is that......?" until the Sato caption came up. All of which indicates that whilst London is ignorant the rest of the world was rooting for the lad.

And Russ. Don't push the anti JPM thing too much. That's my job.

(He actually looked good today BTW.)
Old 21 Mar 2004, 22:42 (Ref:914381)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by kickstart
I have always found the thought that drivers who live in Monte Carlo for tax reasons, stand up David Coulthard, to still be British amusing.
Well, a person can't help where they are born, and when these guys have to pay 40% of their earnings to the government, who can blame someone for moving away.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 22:59 (Ref:914406)   #12
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lookin' at the press in London? Jense's podium wasn't covered much. That is a surprise. What could they be thinking?
Old 22 Mar 2004, 01:28 (Ref:914540)   #13
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably football!
Old 22 Mar 2004, 01:32 (Ref:914542)   #14
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Does it have anything to do with this thread - or just another swipe at Juan?

Then no.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 06:35 (Ref:914671)   #15
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Didn't here it but I have to say that the Turkish commentaters were also on the edge of their seats when Sato stopped. Stammered "Butto" er "is that......?" until the Sato caption came up. All of which indicates that whilst London is ignorant the rest of the world was rooting for the lad.

When Sato stopped all i could say was oh no thinking that Button had been denied another podium finish, i'm suprised that the London news ignored Buttons effort's as all Brits have a right to be proud of the way Jenson's performing.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 08:45 (Ref:914750)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are you sure it was London Tonight, and not the ITV evening news?

I can't understand why the regional bulletin would have a Grand Prix report on its news when there was no specific regional angle.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:08 (Ref:914945)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
Well, maybe the people from each region might be interested in Formula 1? Sometimes i don't understand your posts K-B :confused:
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:24 (Ref:914969)   #18
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
K-B,

Yes, it was definitely London Tonight and I was equally flabbergasted. Maybe they lifted the script from Scottish TV!
Congratulations to Jensen for a well-deserved podium finish.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:27 (Ref:915144)   #19
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it was mentioned on the main news either, they're too busy congratulating foreign drivers, mainly driving for Ferrari! that's of course if they're not mentioning football or cricket!
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:59 (Ref:915180)   #20
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It wasnt just the Turkish commentators that thought it was JB up in smoke initially was it, weren't our very own pair the same?

Last edited by PaulSands; 22 Mar 2004 at 15:00.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 16:42 (Ref:915334)   #21
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The silence from the BBC Sports News was a disgrace!
Old 23 Mar 2004, 05:53 (Ref:916076)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Well, maybe the people from each region might be interested in Formula 1? Sometimes i don't understand your posts K-B :confused:
My posts are always perfectly logical.

The way news works on ITV is that ITV news provides a national and international bulletin, and your region provides a regional bulletin before or after it.

So, ITV news will have a generic report on the Grand Prix.

Scottish TV's regional bulletin would take a Coulthard angle, for example.

All I'm saying is there's no point in it being on London Tonight unless there's a strong London angle, otherwise they'd just be repeating what viewers had already just seen on the national news.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 06:34 (Ref:916084)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
My posts are always perfectly logical.

Scottish TV's regional bulletin would take a Coulthard angle, for example.

All I'm saying is there's no point in it being on London Tonight unless there's a strong London angle,
What logical reason can you give for London region news leading their F1 piece about Coulthard, who, as far as i know is Scottish and Schumacher, who is German, when they don't even mention Button, who was at least born in the same country that the regional news was being shown in?
Old 23 Mar 2004, 07:45 (Ref:916117)   #24
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

Peter, I think you are pro JPM now. At least, you more lenient on him.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 08:50 (Ref:916152)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not at all. I've always maintained that when he starts using his head a bit he'd live up to expectations. That he did in spades at Sepang.

But Button did even better don't you think. Overtaking on the outside of a corner?

Out JPM'd JPM!