Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2004, 00:55 (Ref:914517)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Ferrari - Post Michael

This is a pre-mature post, and more speculative than anything else, but at some point Michael will retire.

Now I know most are expecting the dream team to follow him to the beach, but Ferrari, like McLaren and Williams, are a top level team and will bounce back. They certainly have the budget to buy some pretty good replacements.

My question is more from a driver perspective. There are plenty of drivers quick enough, at least half a dozen that could get close or match Michael for pace, but what about the 'other' stuff Michael brings to the team.

Who can fill the void? What sort of driver will they be looking for? Is Rubino up to the job?

RB is plenty quick, and pace wise very close to MS. Can he fill all the other holes Michael will leave behind as team leader?
Old 22 Mar 2004, 01:01 (Ref:914520)   #2
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
no, i don't think rubino is up to the job......if there were anyone ferrari should be casting for, imho i think it should be webber....i think he has the capability ala' ms to build a team around him....just my 2 cents...
Old 22 Mar 2004, 01:34 (Ref:914545)   #3
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with that.Webbers about the only one who could keep the team focused like MS

The Grumpy1
Old 22 Mar 2004, 01:49 (Ref:914551)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If rumours are to be believed, Flavio Flave will be selling Alonso (and his contract) to the Scuderia. I doubt Rubens is the man for the job. He's reliable and on a good day, brilliant, but not WDC material.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 02:59 (Ref:914579)   #5
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
DieRitter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso is the perfect guy for the job. No doubt.

Webber's style suits more Williams and McLaren.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 05:18 (Ref:914627)   #6
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I wonder about that DeRitter.
I actually doubt that Alonso is a Schumacher in the making. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I have serious doubts about the strength of character needed to pull people together round a project.
Webber does seem to have that quality in some measure, more so than Alonso. As to whether he would be more suitable for McLaren or Williams most of it depends on the relationship with the engineering, management and design team, and i think webber would get on well with Byrne Brawn and Todt (assuming they stay after Mikey goes).
Old 22 Mar 2004, 05:32 (Ref:914633)   #7
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe that Rubens is the number 1 that Ferrari are after, i think that they'll look at either Alonso or Webber to fill Schumacher's position when he decides he's had enough.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 05:59 (Ref:914653)   #8
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Geez, these threads are becoming more frequent than the JV and DC-"my year" threads.....
Old 22 Mar 2004, 07:24 (Ref:914683)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great drivers, when retiring, left an unfillable sense emptyness, cos it's impossible to replace themat once; just think of what happened top ski when Alberto Tomba retored.

The same for F1: drivers like MS don't emerge every year, the first times F1 will suffer abit.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 08:43 (Ref:914747)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I expect Brawn, Byrne and Todt will leave Ferrari when Michael retires.

Byrne and Todt will retire, Brawn will work elsewhere.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 11:54 (Ref:914925)   #11
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't matter so much who the replacement driver is, it depends on how well that driver works with his inner-circle of technical and strategic confidants and who THEY are.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:05 (Ref:914940)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alonso and Trulli - great team - would suit ferrari well.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:11 (Ref:914949)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Wouldn't be surprised if the Ferrari top dogs where looking in the direction of a certain Geoff Willis as a replacement to Rory Byrne.

Alonso to replace Michael, and imo, Rubens would go as soon as his contract expired, but who replaces Rubens?

Possibly Sam Michael to fill Ross Brawns role?
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:46 (Ref:914998)   #14
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In short, I don't think anyone can fill the void Schumacher will leave, either on track or off it. If anything, as Wrex suggests, it's the off-track stuff that's more at issue - there are other quick drivers around, but none of them could match Michael in terms of his off-track contribution to car development and the team as a whole.

If the rest of the team stays, including Brawn et al and Barichello, then it's the perfect chance for a younger driver to enter the stable and enjoy some continuity. Then as that driver matures and his contribution off-track grows, maybe some of the 'old boys' can gracefully retire.

If this scenario plays out, then Alonso is the man.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 13:00 (Ref:915012)   #15
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Webber . could do the job .. probably in the closest way to the Schumacher way .. anyway . Button is looking good .. but he's a little different ..

Ciao Marco
Old 22 Mar 2004, 13:04 (Ref:915014)   #16
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree that noone can fill the void Schuey will leave, at least not immediately. For a season or so after he goes (providing all the major personnel stay on) I can see them being strong enough for Rubens to have a tilt at the title, but I don't see Rubens being able to do what Michael has done in the long-term.

Of the latest batch, Button and Webber look the most capable of emulating Michaels off-track abilities, though of course they might both end up somewhere else.

Alonso and Raikkonen don't yet seem to be the complete package outside of the car (at least, as far as we can see), though they may well develop this over time.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:53 (Ref:915171)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I'd been thinking about this yesterday. Mark Webber and Jenson Button do seem to be the two drivers currently racing who have not only on-track ability of a very high order but also an ability to mould a team around them. Alonso and Raikkonen are both very, very quick, but off-track, I'm not so sure. Nor do I see Barrichello as a team leader when Schuey eventually retires.

As for the pitlane personnel, I do think Rory Byrne will retire, and Jean Todt isn't getting any younger. Ross Brawn, on the other hand, might well decide to stay on. After all, he wouldn't get a better job anywhere else - technical director for Scuderia Ferrari is about as good as it gets. Todt's replacement will, I suspect, come from within the team. Byrne's might too, but what about Adrian Newey? His flirtation with Jaguar in the Rahal days suggests he isn't chained to McLaren, and if Ron Dennis retires in the next few years, as has been rumoured, then perhaps taking on the design role at Maranello would whet Newey's appetite? Geoff Willis is another possibility, as is Mike Gascoigne, if he can prised out of Toyota's grasp.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 15:05 (Ref:915189)   #18
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somehow I suspect that Rubens will retire before Michael does.

Jean and Rory will retire sooner than later I'm afraid, but Ross can take Jean's place. As for who'll be the team leader, I'll take Michael (yes, after his retirement). Further develop the car as he would do it for himself, and train and advice the 2 drivers to use it at maximum capacity. From current crop I'd chose from Alonso, Webber, Button and Massa. I don't see Kimi and Juan Pablo at Ferrari, only thinking that Ron has already grabbed them and he won't let them go, especially at Maranello. (Flavio can be per$uaded to let Alonso go). But I believe that his heir will be some rookie not in F1 yet.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 01:25 (Ref:915923)   #19
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with those that say Button.

Look at the difference he's made at BAR. I don't remember ever seeing that team looked so happy and pumped up, as when Button got that podium. He really seems to have that team believing in themselves. I think thats one of the major factors that Ferrari would look for in a driver to replace Michael, who is himself, the master of motivation, and teamwork.

Behind him, would come Webber, who has done wonders for Jag, and Rubens himself...

Danica Patrick
Old 23 Mar 2004, 02:17 (Ref:915951)   #20
Panzer
Racer

Panzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great topic. Michaels love of the sport suggests it would be very hard to just walk away. Could it be possible for Michael to take on a role as team adviser and driver management. That way it might be possible to keep the current structure in place a little longer. One of the main reasons Todt, Brawn, Byrne, are still there is because they can work with Michael. My pick for driver would be Webber or Button I think they both have what it takes to be team leader at Ferrari.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 03:32 (Ref:916009)   #21
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since MS is (it seems) likely to be driving for a few years yet, this thread is very speculative as we won't know who is hot at that time. I agree however, that it is unlikely that Rubens will be No. one and suspect that he will indeed leave before MS retires to allow a younger replacement to be "groomed", which based on the Sauber=junior-Ferarri team theory, would be Fisi or Massa.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 04:09 (Ref:916030)   #22
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I think that Webber and Button are the closest to 'Schumi's', as they have both demanded no.1 status at a team both are rebuilding as Schumi did at Ferrari in 96.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 12:09 (Ref:916360)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pardon me, but in all 3 cases, it's not a issue of "demanded no.1 status" but rather a logical move considering how much better than they are to their teammates.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 13:04 (Ref:916440)   #24
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't want to see Webber go to Ferrari. While I want to see Webber win, I like many people don't want to see those red rockets keep winning. I hope Webber and Button go to Williams.