Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Aug 2006, 04:48 (Ref:1690091)   #1
moses
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
moses should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really all that surprising I guess... (Driver Pairings @ Walkinshaw Performance)

Article regarding the driver pairings of HRT/Toll HSVDT saying that other teams are not happy with the move. Does anyone know if V8SA has ratified the pairings or is it likely to be vetoed.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23770,00.html
Old 24 Aug 2006, 05:44 (Ref:1690101)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I dont know that it can be vetoed even if the desire is there to do so.

As I understand it, each of the changing drivers has recinded their contracts with HRT & HSVDT, and taken up a brand new contract with the other team for the endurance races (and beyond??)

Technically the Walkinshaw Performance mob have read the rule book thoroughly, with its semi trailer sized holes in it and all, and done what it thinks is the most competitive option available.

For all the brim and bluster... its not illegal, it doesnt contravene a licence agreement... its just not exactly cricket
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Aug 2006, 05:57 (Ref:1690108)   #3
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It’s within the rules this year so nothing is wrong with it. Its big business to win Bathurst and the title, especially when your company has just released a new big car during the ever-increasing fuel crisis.

There is no such thing as within the "spirit of the rules" anymore.

Each team will try to gain a small advantage finding loopholes in the rules until they are closed up for the next season when teams find new loopholes to exploit. The V8s are no different from any other series or professional sport for that matter.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 06:02 (Ref:1690110)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You would have to argue though that it would make sense for Walkinshaw Performance to be assigned the franchises from their owners, so that there is no question of fiddling with contracts, as the 4 franchise licence slots are owned and controlled by the single legal entity.

On paper, as opposed to using "the force"

Surely in this era of $1.50 per litre of fuel, the continuing boom of HSV would provide Happy Tom with enough cashola to make this happen??
Old 24 Aug 2006, 07:14 (Ref:1690130)   #5
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
$20 says they make this illegal next year.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 24 Aug 2006, 07:27 (Ref:1690136)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
might be before that chatter

might even be next week or even in early sept
Old 24 Aug 2006, 07:43 (Ref:1690140)   #7
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
$20 says they wouldn't even think of it if Bathurst was NOT a part of the Championship
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 24 Aug 2006, 07:52 (Ref:1690143)   #8
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I second the notion.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 24 Aug 2006, 08:10 (Ref:1690155)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can any rule change they make change/stop what is happening?

If i have read it all correctly, at the current time Todd Kelly no longer has a contract with HRT, and Garth Tander no longer has a contract with HSVDT.

What can VESA do? Ban teams/drivers from parting ways mid-season, or ban drivers who split from their teams mid-season from finding another ride for the rest of the year?

I honestly don't see the problem. What is wrong with a team trying to put together what it thinks is it's strongest line-up for the endurance races? Why don't Ford counteract by putting Lowndes with Bright for example rather than complaining about this, that would make it even more exciting in my opinion, and would place a real emphasis back on Ford vs Holden, each manufacturer putting it's strongest line-ups together.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1690167)   #10
V8's rule
Racer

V8's rule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I dont know that it can be vetoed even if the desire is there to do so.

As I understand it, each of the changing drivers has recinded their contracts with HRT & HSVDT, and taken up a brand new contract with the other team for the endurance races (and beyond??)

Technically the Walkinshaw Performance mob have read the rule book thoroughly, with its semi trailer sized holes in it and all, and done what it thinks is the most competitive option available.

For all the brim and bluster... its not illegal, it doesnt contravene a licence agreement... its just not exactly cricket
I say old chap, please excuse my mirth........Fancy you, a proud Australian saying "its just not exactly cricket".......... Was it not Ian Chappel that changed the meaning of that saying for ever, when he bowled our lot the under-arm ball at deaths knock, a few years ago?

Other than that, I agree with your sentiments.

Old 24 Aug 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1690174)   #11
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69

If i have read it all correctly, at the current time Todd Kelly no longer has a contract with HRT, and Garth Tander no longer has a contract with HSVDT.

What can VESA do? Ban teams/drivers from parting ways mid-season, or ban drivers who split from their teams mid-season from finding another ride for the rest of the year?
Yeah I totally agree, but V8SA will (undoubtedly) want to put a stop to this.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 08:52 (Ref:1690178)   #12
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Was it not Ian Chappel that changed the meaning of that saying for ever, when he bowled our lot the under-arm ball at deaths knock, a few years ago?
Actually it was bowled by Trevor Chappell under instructions from his brother Greg. Ian Chappell had retired by that stage. The lowest moment in Australia's sporting history
Old 24 Aug 2006, 08:52 (Ref:1690180)   #13
barney551
Veteran

barney551 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69

I honestly don't see the problem. What is wrong with a team trying to put together what it thinks is it's strongest line-up for the endurance races? Why don't Ford counteract by putting Lowndes with Bright for example rather than complaining about this, that would make it even more exciting in my opinion, and would place a real emphasis back on Ford vs Holden, each manufacturer putting it's strongest line-ups together.

I thought I read/heard something somewhere that VESA was considering attaching any championship points to the team/car that they were driving for the majority of the season.

While this really wouldnt affect Todd Im sure that Garth would not be happy being in a red car for the next 2 rounds and recieve no points.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 08:53 (Ref:1690182)   #14
barney551
Veteran

beat me to it bestfit .... must have been really important in NZ for that to be forgotten
Old 24 Aug 2006, 09:03 (Ref:1690185)   #15
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it just me, or is there anyone else who would love to see Uncle Tom's face if FPR announce after the Great Race that their new driver for '07 will be Todd Kelly, since he will 'technically' be without a contract after Bathurst?
Old 24 Aug 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1690202)   #16
V8's rule
Racer

V8's rule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfit
Actually it was bowled by Trevor Chappell under instructions from his brother Greg. Ian Chappell had retired by that stage. The lowest moment in Australia's sporting history
Thanks for the correction, was positive it was Chappell. knew it was Greg that ordered it up, but got myself a little confused with the christian name.

Glad to hear that you also thought it was not in the spirit of the game........To be fair to Uncle Tom, the convienent driver shuffle, is in no way comparable to the under-arm incident..........As another post said if Bathurst was not a chamionship round none of this would be happening........So who is really to blame?

Old 24 Aug 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1690205)   #17
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, can FPR/Britek do the same thing as TWR did?
Old 24 Aug 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1690209)   #18
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because Frosty would love to steer a Britek for the main race......

Britek probably could do it, but the FPR woudlnt want the Britek drivers anyway.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1690220)   #19
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Simple, make it so that the drivers points stay with the original team, then when the swap drivers like this, they don't get the points.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 10:27 (Ref:1690231)   #20
barney551
Veteran

isnt that what i said!!
Old 24 Aug 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1690242)   #21
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
How about we take Bathurst off the damn championship and that way the points won't matter!
Old 24 Aug 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1690256)   #22
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
How about we take Bathurst off the damn championship and that way the points won't matter!
Your right on the money there mate.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 12:06 (Ref:1690288)   #23
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney551
isnt that what i said!!
Yep, I was doing other things as well at the time, didn't refresh the topic before replying and by the time I had realised that I had repeated what you had said, the editing timeout had kicked in.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 12:14 (Ref:1690296)   #24
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
....For all the brim and bluster... its not illegal, it doesnt contravene a licence agreement... its just not exactly cricket
Actually it is not remotely cricket. This is MOTORSPORT.

Have any rules actually been changed since previous years when Mark Noske and Paul Weel - and even Paul Radisich last year - drove for teams other than their own in the enduros?
Old 24 Aug 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1690302)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1
Have any rules actually been changed since previous years when Mark Noske and Paul Weel - and even Paul Radisich last year - drove for teams other than their own in the enduros?
Short answer... No..

Presumably there was some contractual stuff that was put in place to allow those changes to happen...