Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 13 May 2003, 18:51 (Ref:598210)   #1
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
40.000 at ASCAR!

teletext says that there was 40.000 spectators at Rockinghan for the ASCAR-is this right? Brilliant news if it is right and a record for a National race meeting here in the UK! First showing on tv should be Motors TV at 22.00-23.00 this Saturday unless I'm mistaken then NASCAR at midnight on NASN live that night as well!!
Old 14 May 2003, 12:36 (Ref:598690)   #2
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was very crowded so 40,000 is probably realistic but they gave a hell of a lot of ticket's away free locally and Busted were there (I've never seen so many teenage girl's at a race before) which certainly made a difference, but I know some people who went for the first time and said that they enjoyed the racing and would go back.
Old 14 May 2003, 13:16 (Ref:598723)   #3
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez, how did they do that????? Did CART last year even get that much?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 14 May 2003, 13:19 (Ref:598729)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The million dollar question is: How many will come back to see the next meeting?

I applaud any method of increasing crowds at motor racing events and hope for Rockinghams sake they return!
Old 14 May 2003, 15:56 (Ref:598886)   #5
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Stephen, I was there and there were heaps of kids and teenagers wandering about, they were probabaly there because it was free or they wanted to see Busted, can't see why they would want to!! ) how many will return on June 8th? In fairness the grandstands did stay quite full even when the live bands where on so we will see. There wasn't all the much ASCAR racing due to all the yellow flags but the pick ups where good. I had a great time wandering round and checking ut the new drivers, and I liked what I saw
Old 14 May 2003, 17:46 (Ref:598963)   #6
Pike
Racer

Pike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must admit it was the first time I have seen ASCAR`s and when they were racing I was impressed (marshalling from the pitlane). I am however disappointed that there were relatively few racing laps. I am sure the public don`t really like seeing a procession behind the pace car, once the excitment of the crash has worn off I am sure the punters get very bored easily. Something needs to be done to stop the flippin things crashing so often!!!!
Old 14 May 2003, 18:06 (Ref:598979)   #7
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can`t understand the record for a National event only being 40,000. Surely the heydays of the "SUN" Free Day`s at Brands in the `80s attracted more than 40,000??
Old 14 May 2003, 18:24 (Ref:598999)   #8
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Perhaps there has to be a number of people paying to count?

There's bound to be a smaller crowd next time out (unless Atomic Kitten are playing ) - but, if it's larger than last year's average crowd size - surely it's worked?

Remember - ASCAR Chat as part of the weekly Chat in the room on Thursday at 8pm BST
Old 15 May 2003, 01:07 (Ref:599247)   #9
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The 40,000 was the biggest crowd at a Motor Racing event this year, according to the Rockingham PA.

I think they deserve a well done for getting that many people through the gate. But a shame, so many people, so few racing laps. Still a good crowd at the end, long after "busted" had done their bit.

Think 8th June will be a different story, down south we have Biggin Hill airshow that day, and Silverstone have the BTC. (Note in Autoexpress Halfords are planning to give away 50,000 tickets to that, with the coupon near the back cover!) Plus that day also clashes with the final world qualifying round for the National Hot Rods.

Still if they target local people, they could just pull it off again.

Last edited by Stephen H; 15 May 2003 at 01:09.
Old 15 May 2003, 02:13 (Ref:599270)   #10
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds pretty successful to me. Getting them there the first time is important. Many will return and of course the existing fans will be there.

Congratulations!!!

BTW, who were the top 10 finishers.

Last edited by muggle not; 15 May 2003 at 02:14.
Old 15 May 2003, 07:09 (Ref:599397)   #11
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
funny though you would have thought ppl came to see busted but when they were playing 95% stayed to watch the pickup race..... they werent dissapointed
Old 15 May 2003, 11:55 (Ref:599633)   #12
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a similar note, the commentator at the Donington F3/GT meeting reckoned that Mini races were put on at the start/finish of the day to get people in early and keep them there all day. Similar with the pick-ups I guess.
Old 15 May 2003, 13:09 (Ref:599708)   #13
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great event it was. 2 great races, 1 great concert.
Old 15 May 2003, 14:30 (Ref:599760)   #14
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
and one hell of a crowd.... we really did shake the stands this time!!!
Old 15 May 2003, 15:16 (Ref:599810)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
How did John Stewart do? I live about 2 minutes drive from him and pass his transporter almost every day.
Old 15 May 2003, 16:04 (Ref:599867)   #16
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
How did John Stewart do? I live about 2 minutes drive from him and pass his transporter almost every day.
He finished the first race but was involved in an incident in the second. Good to see him back, perhaps he can teach the rookies a thing or two!!
Old 15 May 2003, 16:14 (Ref:599883)   #17
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biggest crowd at a meeting at that level was at Mallory Park in the 70s. The Bay City Rollers appeared,and they had to shut the gates when people overflowed into the lake!
Old 15 May 2003, 16:48 (Ref:599938)   #18
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a shame there were so many yellow flag incident's but watching Ben Collin's and Michael Verger's do that complete lap side by side was priceless. I still want to know where the hell Plato was though....
Old 15 May 2003, 16:55 (Ref:599945)   #19
copse
Rookie

copse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not all the rookies where poor, Earl goddard did well he only did his rookie test friday morning hopefully we will see him out again and he can show us what he can realy do
Old 15 May 2003, 17:03 (Ref:599952)   #20
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Elio
I can`t understand the record for a National event only being 40,000. Surely the heydays of the "SUN" Free Day`s at Brands in the `80s attracted more than 40,000??
I think the Sun free day had about 30,000.
Many meetings in the 50s and 60s had enormous crowds approaching 40,000, even at places like Mallory and Snetterton. Afterall, no Sunday shopping, not the intense competition of other attractions and events like today.
The crowd at Mallory for the Radio 1 Fun Day in the early 70s was also huge, mainly due to the number of Teenies who came to see the Bay City Rollers. They were crossing the track mid race to get at the Rollers who were in the middle of the lake in a speedboat!
Old 15 May 2003, 17:38 (Ref:599995)   #21
Muppet
Racer

Muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
The crowd at Mallory for the Radio 1 Fun Day in the early 70s was also huge, mainly due to the number of Teenies who came to see the Bay City Rollers. They were crossing the track mid race to get at the Rollers who were in the middle of the lake in a speedboat!
I heard a story that the speedboat was being driven by a Womble that day... Officials fishing out teenies from the lake... Radio 1 DJs racing... whatever next! ;-)