Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 24 Mar 2007, 16:15 (Ref:1875097)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!

I know it's a kinda pointless question, and one that's probably been asked a thousand times, but why 43 starters? I know the number of starters has to be something but why 43? It's an unusual number - any particular reason?

God, that sounds even more stupid now that I've typed it..!
Old 24 Mar 2007, 18:03 (Ref:1875140)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Being a bit lazy (although I'd like to say I'm busy, supposedly getting stuff done around the apartment here, since that would sound better), I'll let Jayski give you a quick explaination about it:
Quote:
Back in the old days of NASCAR, there were some tracks where there were no limits, such as Darlington (as many as 75) and Daytona (in the 50's many times). Over the years the size sort of evolved. It was 40 for the large tracks and 32 for the small tracks in the late 70's and early 80's. Then if was 42 for large and 36 for the small/short tracks. The the champion's provisional took itt to 43 and NASCAR made 43 universal at all tracks including thee small/short tracks, like Bristol.
There's also a column at NASCAR.com from 2002, written by Dave Rodman, that goes more in-depth into the subject.

And to help me demonstrate why large fields sometimes can be a problem, I bring you the 68-car field who took the green flag in the NASCAR Sportsman 300 race at Daytona in 1960, out of which no less than 37 cars wrecked on the very first lap: YouTube link
Old 24 Mar 2007, 18:13 (Ref:1875144)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the info - makes good sense to limit the numbers after seeing that video clip!!
Old 24 Mar 2007, 18:51 (Ref:1875161)   #4
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, to say the least. That, however, didn't stop Bill France from letting 60 cars start the 1973 Winston 500 at Talladega (with the track even bigger and wider than Daytona, it had to work right?), with equally devastating results 9 laps into the race when roughly half the field were involved in a wreck coming out of turn 2.

There is no video of that particular crash, but according to people who saw it - and the drivers who were in it - the backstretch looked like a war zone with destroyed cars, debris and entire engines ripped from some cars scattered all over the place when it was all over.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 01:03 (Ref:1875388)   #5
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rofl. Thanks for the capture Rustyfan.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 01:26 (Ref:1875398)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good stuff Mr Host. You are a mine of information.

I thought there would be a more specific and fiddly reason for 43 starters, it seems they just sort of randomly hit upon it!
Old 25 Mar 2007, 23:56 (Ref:1876305)   #7
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
43 is ten more cars than 33.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 12:35 (Ref:1877597)   #8
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Man didn't you just love the safety in those days. People standing on the infield, pair af jeans and an embassy shirt for race gear!