Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 18 May 2007, 23:43 (Ref:1916374)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A documentary on F1 fans...? Input needed!

At this years British GP, my friend and I are thinking of filming a documentary on F1 fans. This would be used as a college project, using professional equipment and whatnot, and may even get shown at a local cinema, so we’re pretty serious about this!

We’re just beginning the research stage with this, and we would appreciate some input from you all. So here’s a broad question just to get us started:

If there were to be a documentary made on F1/racing fans, what would you like to see in it? What areas would you choose to focus on?

A more in-depth questionnaire will follow sometime in the coming weeks. Thanks!
Old 19 May 2007, 08:33 (Ref:1916577)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I can't answer your questions but I have some of my own. As this is for public broadcast, I assume you have already spoken to Silverstone and/or FOCA to get permission to film during the event.

Sorry to be negative but even as a college project I can't help but feel you've stepped into a legal minefield.
Old 19 May 2007, 09:01 (Ref:1916583)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As I said, we're really only just beginning the planning stages wo we haven't looked into all the avenues yet. The film might also be shown in a cinema, but it may just be for internal college use. Thanks anyway though, we'll need to look into that if the prodject gets off the ground.
Old 20 May 2007, 12:25 (Ref:1917206)   #4
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to film at a Grand Prix, for any purpose, you will need permission from FOM.

In the unlikely event that they grant permission, then they will want a significant fee.

This project is a non-starter, so I suggest you go back to the drawing board.
Old 20 May 2007, 12:28 (Ref:1917207)   #5
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
I can't answer your questions but I have some of my own. As this is for public broadcast, I assume you have already spoken to Silverstone and/or FOCA to get permission to film during the event.

Sorry to be negative but even as a college project I can't help but feel you've stepped into a legal minefield.

Yeah, definately check that out, but as it's a college project you may be ok. Sounds an interesting idea.

For me the most memorable parts of the Grand Prix weekend are the funfair, fireworks and general campsite goings-on on Saturday night. If you can capture the sense of anticipation and excitement, that would be good. Maybe talk to the 'regulars' about their Grand Prix routine...etc...

Good luck with the project!
Old 20 May 2007, 15:16 (Ref:1917280)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Maybe we can get around the legal stuff by not actually filming at the track itself. It's really more about the fans anyway. We would of course seek any permission we need, but before we do that we really just want reserch and flesh out a rather vague idea we've had.

Thanks for the input so far, I've already had an angle we could take this in. Keep them coming though!
Old 20 May 2007, 15:48 (Ref:1917309)   #7
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could always just film outside the circuit.
Old 20 May 2007, 16:24 (Ref:1917325)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Even outside the circuit you'd still need to be careful about the use of the "F1" name/image.

Does it have to be about F1, seems such a predictable option. The media and general public may not realise it but there is much much more to UK motorsport than one over-priced, over-hyped weekend.

Go to any club meeting and compared to F1 the organisers would probably welcome you with open arms. If you want it to be a bigger event then what something like the 2CV or Britcar 24hrs, although it's too short notice for 2CVs this year. You might struggle to find many fans/spectators but I'm sure you are more likely to a favourable reaction from teams.
Old 20 May 2007, 17:01 (Ref:1917341)   #9
yobro
Racer

United Kingdom
Cowbog, Scotland
yobro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly83
Yeah, definately check that out, but as it's a college project you may be ok. Sounds an interesting idea.

For me the most memorable parts of the Grand Prix weekend are the funfair, fireworks and general campsite goings-on on Saturday night. If you can capture the sense of anticipation and excitement, that would be good. Maybe talk to the 'regulars' about their Grand Prix routine...etc...

Good luck with the project!

The program is not for broadcasting, its a general project and will only be shown at a local small cinema, which has the right licenses to broadcast these types of materials without charging money for rights.

However, i will need to have permissions etc to be done before hand, its all part of the project and paper work behind the HND.

This is just a rough idea we came up with, and we just wanted and suggestions and ideas that could help put more interesting things into the program and structure to it. Its just one of them things, anything that has significance and some great views i always think "this would be good to film..." especially as I'm a student, anything for the CV at the end of the day.

Thanks for the advice and ideas, much appreciated!
Old 20 May 2007, 17:07 (Ref:1917346)   #10
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Does it have to be about F1, seems such a predictable option. The media and general public may not realise it but there is much much more to UK motorsport than one over-priced, over-hyped weekend.

Go to any club meeting and compared to F1 the organisers would probably welcome you with open arms. If you want it to be a bigger event then what something like the 2CV or Britcar 24hrs, although it's too short notice for 2CVs this year. You might struggle to find many fans/spectators but I'm sure you are more likely to a favourable reaction from teams.
And thats basically my thoughts! This could be about motorsport fans in general rather than just F1 fans. From local meets to international races. As well as the behind the scenes stuff.
Old 22 May 2007, 17:48 (Ref:1918979)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
If you want to film at a Grand Prix, for any purpose, you will need permission from FOM.

In the unlikely event that they grant permission, then they will want a significant fee.

This project is a non-starter, so I suggest you go back to the drawing board.

Jeez, is this sad or what?
Old 22 May 2007, 19:59 (Ref:1919053)   #12
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
And thats basically my thoughts! This could be about motorsport fans in general rather than just F1 fans. From local meets to international races. As well as the behind the scenes stuff.
Well said redshoes and downforce, follow some marshalls for a weekend at a club event, film their commitment to the racing!
Old 30 May 2007, 15:49 (Ref:1924731)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
give me a shout down force I may be able to help
Old 31 May 2007, 16:29 (Ref:1925515)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
try bsb for a fan documentary. the campsites are legendary, and the fan enthusiasm is at a far more interesting level to f1. and i'd imagine it'd be a lot easier to get a decent result from the organisers with regards to filming too.
Old 31 May 2007, 22:08 (Ref:1925726)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Having made and edited a number of films over the years (not baby on the lawn) I dont see why you can't get a fair bit of footage of crowds and characters etc on small modern good quality digi camcorders. They can't stop you taking them in as most people have one. What you do with the finished article is up to you, but if its shown in private there's not a lot anyone can do. Lets face it there are plenty of photo sites on the web with all types of motosport pictures on them . Do they get any grief if they post a picture of a F1 CAR taken at Silverstone ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Jun 2007, 16:38 (Ref:1926370)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there's slight legal implications as well with video and photographic equipment to do with child protection which may arise when the footage isn't for private use (hmm, isn't that where the problems arise? silly law). on the other hand, msv tickets certainly state that a spectators presence at a circuit indicates their agreement to be filmed.

when in doubt with film and photographic stuff it's always best to ask the relevant organisations for educational purposes as much as anything. a smaller setup may be interested in the finished product too, for example. in fact, if you did say, something about the btcc, it may almost be worth offering the finished article to toca in exchange for free trackside filming rights and so forth...
Old 1 Jun 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1926428)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
...for educational purposes...
Good point. Finding out such things is all part of the project. If you go further and do these things for real you really will have to pay attention to such inconveniences. I guess part of this project is training for that.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 18:54 (Ref:1926456)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
What you do with the finished article is up to you, but if its shown in private there's not a lot anyone can do. Lets face it there are plenty of photo sites on the web with all types of motosport pictures on them . Do they get any grief if they post a picture of a F1 CAR taken at Silverstone ?
You would be amazed at what grief you can get.

Showing a video or pictures to a few mates could be considered private/personal use. Showing them in public is another issue. As you probably know you need to sign the appropriate disclaimer on your entry form to race with an in-car camera. I know of drivers who now won't use such footage on their own websites simply because they've had grief from circuits over commercial rights, and that's on a driver's personal website not a commercial one.
Old 16 Jun 2007, 21:40 (Ref:1939071)   #19
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck for this if you do it, but I reckon as other people have said you'll have problems trying to get the neccessary permissions to film.

I've just completed a documentary for my Masters on 'Green Motorsport', which I'd originally intended to do on television but I ended up doing it on radio, as at least then you don't need to go getting cutaways of the cars/bikes in action, which solves alot of the problems (but not all of them!).