Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Aug 2020, 23:03 (Ref:3995450)   #2376
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Good luck! As you say, it's good to be back out; I'm sharing son's BMW at the Abingdon sprint, I'd better be careful!
Old 15 Aug 2020, 05:36 (Ref:3995480)   #2377
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ha!
Don't beat him or you will be buying the beer!
Old 15 Aug 2020, 08:06 (Ref:3995493)   #2378
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
If anyone is following the weekend on live streaming, we are car #51
Good luck Graham...

For those wanting to follow Shelsley today, this should be a link to their youtube live feed. Starts in 4 hours from now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAqhxoDcvHA

Edit: Added a link for Sunday's live stream as it is different to Saturday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwzhraoi7Q8

Last edited by E.B; 15 Aug 2020 at 08:21. Reason: Added Sunday live feed link
Old 15 Aug 2020, 16:36 (Ref:3995583)   #2379
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had a GOOD day with the Lola!
Nice to report that fact.
Great to be back amongst it all.

3 practice runs today, not sure of the times but far quicker than I thought I would be, about 1.5 secs off my PB, happy with that.

Oldest car and driver in the class!

Car ran perfectly, all the gears happened to my command, just a bit too heavy off the start line @2.19 secs.

Old 15 Aug 2020, 19:18 (Ref:3995615)   #2380
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Had a GOOD day with the Lola!

3 practice runs today, not sure of the times but far quicker than I thought I would be, about 1.5 secs off my PB, happy with that.
1st run was 33.13 with a2.21 and 96 across the line.

2nd run was 33.61 with a 2.18 and just shy of 100 across the line.

Didnt see the 3rd run so cant report.

Car sounds gorgeous.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 21:28 (Ref:3995637)   #2381
911thillclimber
Veteran

Yes, just caught up with Live Feed and the numbers, but thank you.

Must try harder, but the big Radical is miles ahead and about 40 years of technology ahead too!

Might be rain tomorrow......
Old 16 Aug 2020, 13:48 (Ref:3995730)   #2382
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’ve enjoyed watching the live feed.
Just saw your climb, Graham, car
looks very smart.
Makes me want visit Shelsley - perhaps
next year.
Old 16 Aug 2020, 17:01 (Ref:3995801)   #2383
911thillclimber
Veteran

Thanks!
Had a very wet practice and first run today, drying fast this afternoon, 3rd in class behind the mighty Radical.

Car was great, few operator errors, but age still eroding the speed!

A Very Nice Weekend.

https://youtu.be/Xwzhraoi7Q8
Old 17 Aug 2020, 18:27 (Ref:3996044)   #2384
911thillclimber
Veteran

Old 30 Aug 2020, 18:52 (Ref:3999048)   #2385
911thillclimber
Veteran

The race day dawned sunny with a bright Californian blue sky, a chill in the aor and a really nice Clubbie feeling for Loton's first meeting of 2020 and under 'Covid 19' rules.

Great day, perfect weather, cool air, bright sun and 16 c max, just perfect for these Old Timers.
3 in the class, Martin is the fast bike engine Sylvia, Derek in the Oh-so-fab Maguire Mini he's had for decades, and me.
Going to be tough, but this is my fav hill, my hill so down to brass tacks...

So, a series of good times and some killer starts, all sub 2 seconds but a way off my PB however, I can boast (sorry) a FIRST IN CLASS.

The old pair did the job and the car was great, class mates were, well, mates, and that Mini is to die for.

Interestingly, decided not to stress the car with any tyre warming pre-start and my starts were faster than when I have pre warmed.
Lesson there.

I notice however I think the UJ in the NS rear hub is in trouble (knackered) so that may be the end of 2020, will check it out next week.

Lovely and a great day.

Love it!

Want:

Old 31 Aug 2020, 00:59 (Ref:3999135)   #2386
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
WHOOP WHOOP!
Well done Graham, just rewards at last.
Tell us, why does a piffling u/j mean the end of the season, can't be more than a day's work can it?
Old 31 Aug 2020, 05:54 (Ref:3999152)   #2387
911thillclimber
Veteran

Well...
It could be the CV outer which is integrated into the drive stub shaft and splined drive to the wheel flange, it is not a bolt-on CV as I wish it was. It is an original 1974 ish March F2 part and both sides have been showing signs of wear for some time (years), or, most likely it is the 3 drive pegs on the wheel mounting hub that are broken or loose.

If the latter then that could be easy, if the former than heaven knows what to do, BUT it might be time to re-engineer the design to take ordinary Girling CV's which I've seen done on many cars of this era, but that will take the time and a big lathe that I don't have, but know someone who has and the expertise too.

This is the CV I refer to:

Old 31 Aug 2020, 09:13 (Ref:3999173)   #2388
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Thanks, I see now - not exactly run-of-the-mill is it!
Old 31 Aug 2020, 16:12 (Ref:3999258)   #2389
911thillclimber
Veteran

No, but the problem was!

Went to Oulton Park in the old 911 for a good run and to see some fast cars, but was itching to get home and see what was what.

Got the wheel off, the nut was not tight. But not loose either

Wheel off and all 3 drive pins were loose.
Got the caliper off, tightened the pins (allen bolts with slender nuts, M10) as tight as I dared, and put it all back together.

Done!

Whew, I was certain it was the March CV's done fore.
I have been told they are Citroen DS front drive shafts stubs and CV's...
Why would March use such a thing?
Some research needed.
Old 1 Sep 2020, 07:34 (Ref:3999359)   #2390
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Presumably it was back in the 70s. Reliability of supply was pretty poor, maybe there was a Citroen garage next door?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Sep 2020, 08:21 (Ref:3999360)   #2391
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Or may be they went on the easier way choosing a manufacturer with some expertise in FWD, in other words traction avant. Certainly you can find a better choice nowadays, lighter and more reliable. I remember a french garage using Citroën parts for the front end of their Formule France, hubs and bearings, it was Garage Hampe.
Old 1 Sep 2020, 15:17 (Ref:3999463)   #2392
911thillclimber
Veteran

The parts are off a March 741, 1974 vintage, and were used on F1 cars and I guess F2 etc.
In the last pic below you can see the conical section that is machined from the solid bar to the drive spline. The CV balls etc are in that cone. I've never had it apart, almost scared to!
Pic below off Google.

And my Lola:

host images

Last edited by 911thillclimber; 1 Sep 2020 at 15:28.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 11:33 (Ref:4001651)   #2393
Carson Hayes
Rookie

United States
Tampa, FL
Carson Hayes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man, you have guts. I'm too scared to segregate mine that way.
Old 12 Sep 2020, 15:50 (Ref:4001879)   #2394
911thillclimber
Veteran

This little car is easy to work on, I get a bit nervy about this CV in the hubs in case I can't get parts to fix it.
I think this is why many I've seen convert them to normal GKN cv joints like I have at the gearbox end.
Nothing to worry about once done.

I will have to bite the bullet soon I think.
Old 22 Sep 2020, 17:05 (Ref:4005647)   #2395
911thillclimber
Veteran

So, the last outing for 2020 on sunday at Loton Park close to Wales, my club's own hillclimb.
All Covid restricted and then some, masks everywhere etc.

What a sad year for so many, from real tradidy to outdoor persuits cancelled or restricted.

Sure hope 2021 starts off clear in late March, a full year from lock-down 2020.
Old 28 Sep 2020, 16:38 (Ref:4007224)   #2396
911thillclimber
Veteran

Just a one day clubby at Loton Park yesterday, and marks the end of the 2020 season.
Great weather, full-on CV19 protection and some good class mates.

3 practice runs, all good for me though a full 2 secs off my pb's which I can seem to close up, really irritating.

First race run was good a low 57 (pb is mid 55) and a good start, car ran great.
However, the guy I beat last meeting was looking for revenge and dropped a tall 56...

Second race run was feeling really sharp, good hard run until just rounding Keepers bends full-on in 3rd and BANG, a pheasant in the middle of the track, blood, guts and feathers everywhere at about 60 mph carried on then about 50 metres later two others sauntered across the track which I missed but lost a huge amount of time and ended with a low 59, Martin did a 57.

Just finished washing the bird out of the front suspension, 3 cracks in the front body, so cleaned the body, wrapped the tyres and put the car on stands, drained the fuel and put a cover over it!

Will finish the '72 Honda cb175 I'm half through restoring then take a good time getting the car fixed and tidied-up. It is looking a bit ragged atm.

Would love to get the engine out and make it 3.4 litres and re-build for 7500 red line, would make a huge difference, but wife not enthusiastic...

Old 28 Sep 2020, 16:50 (Ref:4007227)   #2397
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Would love to get the engine out and make it 3.4 litres and re-build for 7500 red line, would make a huge difference, but wife not enthusiastic...
You discuss these important matters with your wife????!!
How strange!
Just remember, how much value it will add to the car when you eventually sell it
Old 29 Sep 2020, 06:50 (Ref:4007312)   #2398
911thillclimber
Veteran

She is the Team Boss, financial director and Chief Go-fer etc, and she actually likes all this motorsport stuff, and after 42 years of marriage, misses NO tricks.
The value of the car is in the Porsche parts, engine and box is about 12K, the chassis is worth little, maybe 8 or 10 tops.

Doubt the car would be sold complete, rolling chassis probably just as I bought it 12 years ago.

The engine fix would be about 10K, so hard to justify.

In recent 3 or 4 years it has been super reliable, goes well sometimes earns a pot and costs little to maintain and run:

Tyres @ £1250 a set but 4 years life or longer
Insurance: £110/ year inc trailer loss
Oil change: £100/ year

Racing season costs:
Entry is about £190 / meeting. We do normally 9 meetings/ year
Fuel: 500/ year to tow, £14 / meeting in the Lola
Bacon butties: £20 meeting, 200 / year

That's it.

I think I/we have 5 years left mainly due to trailering effort, a real pain, but would carry on in a road car much how I started!
Old 29 Sep 2020, 11:32 (Ref:4007362)   #2399
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's very reasonable. Of course the major cost is the purchase of the car/engine combo, and the associated risk of it suddenly being worth zero in a fraction of a second.

But overall that's some sensible figures. Speed events are rubbish value if you look at it dispassionately and the better you are the less value you get but I find them a fascinating, addictive branch of the sport and this shows you can compete in an exciting car for reasonable money.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Sep 2020, 15:45 (Ref:4007407)   #2400
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
She is the Team Boss, financial director and Chief Go-fer etc, and she actually likes all this motorsport stuff, and after 42 years of marriage, misses NO tricks.
The value of the car is in the Porsche parts, engine and box is about 12K, the chassis is worth little, maybe 8 or 10 tops.

Doubt the car would be sold complete, rolling chassis probably just as I bought it 12 years ago.

The engine fix would be about 10K, so hard to justify.

In recent 3 or 4 years it has been super reliable, goes well sometimes earns a pot and costs little to maintain and run:

Tyres @ £1250 a set but 4 years life or longer
Insurance: £110/ year inc trailer loss
Oil change: £100/ year

Racing season costs:
Entry is about £190 / meeting. We do normally 9 meetings/ year
Fuel: 500/ year to tow, £14 / meeting in the Lola
Bacon butties: £20 meeting, 200 / year

That's it.

I think I/we have 5 years left mainly due to trailering effort, a real pain, but would carry on in a road car much how I started!
Come, come - that is SO cheap compared to circuit racing that 10k on sorting the engine is a relative drop in the ocean. Do that, put a good pedaller in it for a couple of prestige events and you'd increase it's value by more than the investment.. Measure that against the BoE's recent hints about negative interest rates and it looks even more of a no-brainer.