Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Feb 2020, 16:11 (Ref:3956773)   #1
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
F1 Tributes

A mention elsewhere triggered me to create this thread. I thought it might be interesting to discuss the various tributes that exist within F1. This would be some type of detail (sometimes hidden) on the car, a helmet (I expect many in this category), team clothing, etc. that pays tribute to something (usually a person). Some are long lasting, some as short as a race weekend or two. I expect most are somewhat well known, but I am curious if there are a number that are not as well known.

Here are few to kick off the discussion. I am curious to hear the history and to learn about some that might not be very well known.

Williams Senna logo.

Mercedes Red Star (Niki Lauda)

(Quick Edit. This should not be confused with content that would go into the 10/10th tributes forum. This is about how F1 shows tribute)

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 10 Feb 2020 at 16:20.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 17:50 (Ref:3956799)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kimi Raikkonen's 2012 Monaco GP James Hunt tribute helmet.

although the much cooler tribute was when he allegedly entered a boat race as 'James Hunt' and dressed in a gorilla costume.

cool as ice!
Old 10 Feb 2020, 18:16 (Ref:3956807)   #3
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like the Kimi/Hunt connection. How many F1 drivers have helmet livery that is influenced by their heroes? I seem to remember seeing that a number have links to Senna. What about importance of their permanent numbers? Lewis picked 44 as it was on his Dad's license plate and it has been his lucky number since then?

Richard
Old 10 Feb 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3956817)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A huge amount of drivers around the world ran Justin Wilson tributes.

Ferrari ran the 9/11 tribute.

There were a few Sean Edwards stickers on helmets when he lost his life. His father, Guy Edwards, was one of the drivers responsible for pulling Niki Lauda from his car during his incident. I was told that Ferrari looked after Guy (and the others) who pulled Niki from the car and treated them very very well, but never publicised it.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 18:54 (Ref:3956819)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah that Ferrari's 9/11 tribute was nice. i had forgotten they had also removed all their logos.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 19:29 (Ref:3956831)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Charlie tributes (including on safety car)

Richard
Old 10 Feb 2020, 19:55 (Ref:3956837)   #7
Richard C
Veteran

Article listing some more helmet tributes.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...2gEk6Msk4.html

Richard
Old 10 Feb 2020, 21:28 (Ref:3956852)   #8
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Kimi Raikkonen's 2012 Monaco GP James Hunt tribute helmet.

although the much cooler tribute was when he allegedly entered a boat race as 'James Hunt' and dressed in a gorilla costume.

cool as ice!
I wonder why Kimi chose Monaco? Hunt never won the Monaco GP, his best finish was 9th in 1973. All his other attempts ended with him retiring.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 21:38 (Ref:3956854)   #9
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I wonder why Kimi chose Monaco? Hunt never won the Monaco GP, his best finish was 9th in 1973. All his other attempts ended with him retiring.
I think Kimi explained it best himself:

"It's not for any particular reason. I just like him and the kind of racing there was in the past, It's a nice (helmet) design. There's not any more (to it) than that."
Old 10 Feb 2020, 22:06 (Ref:3956866)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
classic Kimi!

but adding to that, i wonder if it is related to FOM rules. i want to say drivers are seriously limited in their freedom to change helmets...Monaco being Monaco perhaps they are given an exemption for this one race?

all be it more commercial tie in then tribute and i cant recall if he actually raced with it but Monaco.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 22:09 (Ref:3956868)   #11
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari painted the tips of their nosecones black at Bahrain in 2005 after Pope John Paul II passed away.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 22:11 (Ref:3956871)   #12
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
classic Kimi!

but adding to that, i wonder if it is related to FOM rules. i want to say drivers are seriously limited in their freedom to change helmets...Monaco being Monaco perhaps they are given an exemption for this one race?

I may be nit-picking, but I suspect that the helmet design change regulation was introduced at some time after 2012. Maybe my mind is playing tricks, but I would have guessed that the rule is much more recent; the years do seem to roll into one another, that it sometimes feels as though there are only 6 months in the year they go by so rapidly.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 22:28 (Ref:3956879)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think Kimi explained it best himself:

"It's not for any particular reason. I just like him and the kind of racing there was in the past, It's a nice (helmet) design. There's not any more (to it) than that."
Fair enough.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 23:39 (Ref:3956885)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I may be nit-picking, but I suspect that the helmet design change regulation was introduced at some time after 2012. Maybe my mind is playing tricks, but I would have guessed that the rule is much more recent...
Now that you mention it, that totally sounds right to me.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 00:29 (Ref:3956888)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It was a rule added to minimise confusion of different helmets during the season and was introduced around that time
Old 11 Feb 2020, 05:23 (Ref:3956899)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Iirc, didn't Vettee use a plethora of designs in 2017, which lead to this rule change?
Old 11 Feb 2020, 06:03 (Ref:3956901)   #17
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A quick Google suggests that the regulation came in for 2015:

https://www.speedcafe.com/2015/02/19...hanges-banned/
Old 11 Feb 2020, 14:29 (Ref:3956952)   #18
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I knew it was around then, I think it was about time something like that came in anyway
Old 11 Feb 2020, 15:30 (Ref:3956976)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
another Williams' Senna tribute. did other teams carry this as well?

and one for Micheal.

Old 11 Feb 2020, 16:05 (Ref:3956987)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Alonso pays tribute to himself!

Old 11 Feb 2020, 19:58 (Ref:3957058)   #21
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Alonso pays tribute to himself!

Really cool design with a clear message.

Great pity for Fred that driver talent is no longer important in F1.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 22:58 (Ref:3957101)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Really cool design with a clear message.

Great pity for Fred that driver talent is no longer important in F1.
Excellent post.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 23:01 (Ref:3957103)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Marcus Ericsson wore a Ronnie Peterson helmet a couple of years back.

Who was the French guy who sported a Cevert or Depailler helmet?

Johnny Herbert said that his helmet design was a kind of nod to one of his heroes the late Gilles.
Old 12 Feb 2020, 00:14 (Ref:3957109)   #24
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Red Bull dedicated this weekends racing to a very good friend of mine (Mark Simpson) who lived close to me in the UK and I also used to spend time with him in Spain.
CHRISTIAN HORNER, Team Principal:
“An extraordinary motor racing day in testing conditions for the drivers and of course the officials. Having got ourselves into a good position at the start of the race, at the restart Max made an unbelievable pass on Rosberg round the outside of turn 3 which set up his afternoon of audacious driving and passing moves. It was a race that continuously teetered on the Intermediate being the better tyre and after the delay due to the conditions it did look like the better tyre. When Daniel fitted the tyre he started setting purple sectors and we therefore took the gamble to put Max on to the Inter. The rain then marginally increased and we had to make a difficult decision to pit both of our cars, dropping them down the order but giving them fresh extreme tyres. Thereafter, the last 15 laps were something special to witness as Max made his way back through the field to achieve a quite remarkable podium. With Daniel finishing in eighth place that secures our second place in the Constructors’ Championship which is a quite a feat. We’d like to dedicate this race to the memory of a very valued member of our team, Mark Simpson, who we unfortunately lost after a difficult illness earlier in the week. ‘Simo’ as he was known to us, was an important part of our team and I’m sure he would have enjoyed what we saw from Red Bull Racing today.”

I went to his funeral and the whole team turned up to the cremation and wake, always the joker as he was being lowered into the furnace he had insisted that "My Sex Is On Fire" be played ! Rip Mark I still miss you.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Feb 2020, 10:20 (Ref:3957168)   #25
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Marcus Ericsson wore a Ronnie Peterson helmet a couple of years back.

Who was the French guy who sported a Cevert or Depailler helmet?

Johnny Herbert said that his helmet design was a kind of nod to one of his heroes the late Gilles.
Perry McCarthy also used a crash helmet designed inspired by Gilles Villeneuve's design. Jean-Eric Vergne had a one-off design at Monaco based on Francois Cevert's. Also, Michele Alboreto's crash helmet was based on Ronnie Peterson's design.