Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 23 Sep 2020, 18:42 (Ref:4005900)   #26
Lasse
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
Lasse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not following IMSA so close, but isn't it a little surprising WTR are changing fra Caddilac to Acura?
Old 23 Sep 2020, 18:57 (Ref:4005905)   #27
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
I am not following IMSA so close, but isn't it a little surprising WTR are changing fra Caddilac to Acura?

actually not, wayne taylor expressed concerns about keeping with cadillac for 2021 during this season.
Old 23 Sep 2020, 19:55 (Ref:4005911)   #28
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, I think they were using AXR for testing lately after using WTR for early testing. Or at least it seemed that way.

So down one prototype unless someone takes up the Caddy WTR ran.
Old 23 Sep 2020, 23:46 (Ref:4005938)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe they were evaluating their options? It’s hard to tell. Anyway best of luck to them, hopefully WTR can do some justice with the car
Old 24 Sep 2020, 01:40 (Ref:4005945)   #30
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
It is a bit surprising, but WTR has looked at other options last couple of years, including other series. Also, WTR main sponsor is a Japanese company, so maybe that is a factor?

Either way, both of those cars look good in those mock-up liveries.
Old 24 Sep 2020, 19:39 (Ref:4006081)   #31
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting links:

BMW participation in GTLM in 2021 in question if the grids do not get reinforced after Porsche drop out.

https://www.motorsport.com/imsa/news...aign=widget-22

---------------------------------------------------------

DPI drivers not fans of LMP3 being on the grid I think. They are not alone.

Old 24 Sep 2020, 20:37 (Ref:4006085)   #32
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
Interesting links:

BMW participation in GTLM in 2021 in question if the grids do not get reinforced after Porsche drop out.

---------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well DPi can frankly shut their mouth about driving standards in every capacity. Most of the yellows the last couple races have been 100% their doing.

And did we expect BMW to stay?
Old 24 Sep 2020, 20:59 (Ref:4006088)   #33
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Yeah, well DPi can frankly shut their mouth about driving standards in every capacity. Most of the yellows the last couple races have been 100% their doing.

And did we expect BMW to stay?
Yes and Uncertain to your two points respectively.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 22:20 (Ref:4006275)   #34
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IMSA is set to be the sponsor of the new North America Carrera cup.

https://racer.com/2020/09/25/porsche...erica-in-2021/

What I wasn't clear of is if this is going to replace the current Porsche championship in the IMSA portfolio or if this is something different completely?
Old 26 Sep 2020, 00:45 (Ref:4006286)   #35
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
It is replacing the Beetle Cup. Unlike most countries that run a non-Carerra branded series the US series uses the current cars. It's mostly a name change to bring the series in line with the rest of the world.
From what I've read the Platinum cars in IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge are the Carrera Cup cars, but are any 991 He 2 car 2017-2019. IMSA also uses older cars for the Gold class, 991 Gen 1 from 2014-2016. I do remember distinctly different cars and shift points, one shifted just after 3 the older cars past the campsite. May have been the previous car in Gold. They also run Yokohama in GT3 Cup Challenge US and Canada.

From what I gathered the 911 GT3 Cup "ladder" is

Porsche SuperCup
Porsche Carrera Cup
Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge

911 GT3 Cup 3.99L 485 hp
Appears to be used in SuperCup and Carrera Cup, and as Platinum in the US series

The next gen car will be used in SuperCup and Carrera Cup in 2021 and will include US series. The US series and SuperCup will use Michelin tires, but it appears the SuperCup use N2 compound while the IMSA guys will use N3. Not sure the relationship but would guess N2 is better?

Some GT3 Cup Challenge series only use a generation older cars to save costs.

And for more information than I ever thought I'd know about racing beetles.

"*Prospective Porsche Carrera Cup North America customers received a preview of the next-generation 992-based Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car during an event hosted by Porsche Motorsport North America on Thursday evening." S365

Last edited by broadrun96; 26 Sep 2020 at 01:01.
Old 26 Sep 2020, 22:02 (Ref:4006554)   #36
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

https://www.motorsport.com/imsa/news...aign=widget-22[/QUOTE]

I guess Albuquerque seems to be forgetting one small detail by making that comment about the ''non professional'' LMP3 drivers..............he has been racing in the ELMS for the past couple of years or so, which are 4 hour races as opposed to the normal IMSA races of under 3 hours, and with MANY more LMP3 cars also racing together with the LMP2's.

He never seemed to have any problem with this, there were never really any major incidents involving LMP3 cars. So maybe he is implying, the level of the American LMP3 drivers is way below that of European?
Old 27 Sep 2020, 01:36 (Ref:4006596)   #37
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I think it's 100% pro drivers don't want the kids and old guys on the track in their way. They cried the same thing about GTDs and in their way, we've seen how that's gone. Oh wait, it's the DPi guys hitting the GTDs not the other way around.

That said I'd rather not have the LMP3s on track at the same time due to the lap time variation and the challenges with the GTLM runners. I'd rather have fewer better cars than just adding cars to make the number bigger. I get why they need to for TV and selling the series, guarantee they aren't telling their partners the number is from new cars they may steal from another of their own series. The LMP3s already aren't the fields we had with the old Elan chassis, yeah they much faster and likely safer but sparse fields don't sell.

I could see them selling LMP3s on the enduros but even then the costs have to be insane relative the previous season. I'm sure the cars wouldn't have a problem with Daytona and they run at Sebring so damage there isn't a problem. And we have run fields bigger than the combined best LMP3 race and WeatherTech numbers so it can be done. But I just don't think it's worth cannibalizing another series for maybe 5 cars. Unless any ELMS guys want a change from there and bring their car, but I don't think that's likely.
Old 27 Sep 2020, 18:41 (Ref:4006938)   #38
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
delete

Last edited by TWRv12; 27 Sep 2020 at 18:56.
Old 27 Sep 2020, 18:44 (Ref:4006939)   #39
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
That is a thing that may indeed happen in 2021. It's at least been a topic worth pondering at a 2020 race
Old 27 Sep 2020, 18:56 (Ref:4006946)   #40
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
That is a thing that may indeed happen in 2021. It's at least been a topic worth pondering at a 2020 race

opppsss
Old 27 Sep 2020, 19:43 (Ref:4006963)   #41
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Imo lmp3 is a grid filler for the series because the GTLM situation. Oh well. More lap traffic is all. My concern is are they fast enough to stay away from whatever is left of GTLM?
Old 29 Sep 2020, 16:54 (Ref:4007418)   #42
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
BMW has been trying to help get other manufacturers involved in GTE next season in IMSA

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/d...ries-for-2021/

Looks like a couple times have asked questions, i'm not holding my breath for entries though. Maybe Risi at some of the big ones.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 17:05 (Ref:4007422)   #43
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s good that they are all working together to get more cars and manufacturers into the GT class. Would be good to see the likes of Ferrari and Aston in IMSA
Old 29 Sep 2020, 17:27 (Ref:4007424)   #44
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I think with only 4 factory cars you could see a few more Aston races with Dalla Lana and possibly Risi. Maybe get Cooper to step up and run his bigger toys, although he likes the Challenge car more it seems.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 18:30 (Ref:4007434)   #45
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I think with only 4 factory cars you could see a few more Aston races with Dalla Lana and possibly Risi. Maybe get Cooper to step up and run his bigger toys, although he likes the Challenge car more it seems.

That is what I was thinking too. Le Mans has giving Cooper enough experience with the GTE version of the Ferrari now. The differences between that and the GT3 must all be under the body work because they identical on the outside. Same for the Aston Martin GTE vs GT3 versions. Which I like.

The only current GTD team that is not MSR that could step up other than Scuderia Core is Aim Vasser. Outside current IMSA grid, there also is Flying Lizard too. Actually IMSA needs to raid racing operations in SRO with some dangling carrots if possible,..and I"m not talking about GTWC America. The GTWC Europe/ICGT ones. Prospect of more all-GT races perhaps could encourage some?
Old 29 Sep 2020, 19:20 (Ref:4007443)   #46
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jesus just let GTE die, the solution is so obvious, there’s literally just GM holding it back.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 19:33 (Ref:4007445)   #47
S griffin
Veteran

I think GTE can still go on, although they need to increase the grid, otherwise the only solution is to let it go. It still enough merits for me, after all it gives variety to the championship and some decent manufacturers too
Old 29 Sep 2020, 21:19 (Ref:4007461)   #48
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Jesus just let GTE die, the solution is so obvious, there’s literally just GM holding it back.
I think it is dying, but there is no time to implement a new class for next year when the season starts in 3 months.

IMSA has to work with the rest of the GT world on this, definitely the ACO but probably also the SRO if they want a GT class above gt3.

I feel like the last two years have been a waste since the conversion talks petered out. If they (series and manufacturers) could have come up with a rule set, we would be seeing new cars on track and talking about the potential of the new class. Now we are just talking about how the top class has run its course and there is nothing to replace it.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 22:12 (Ref:4007472)   #49
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Who’s going to build these GT3 Plus cars, from who’s running it does to appear there’s not going to be GT3 plus cars. MB and BMW already said no to that plan for DTM where they could actually sell multiple cars. Acura is already paying their “main” GTD team to move up to DPi and trying to find a new team to maintain their presence in IMSA. Lexus accountants would likely push to save that money building a Plus car to build up the LMDh program and return to the front of the field. Maybe Audi or Lamborghini could pull from their stable and testing to build a better mousetrap but would they? Porsche doesn’t need to build the car and they’re pulling out leading to this discussion, they could just stay running with the old car.

It’s a pipe dream from forum and FB but in reality? It just feels like there’s zero interest basis in it. Teams aren’t going to build the cars themselves, manufacturers are already building and contriving to make the best BOP car they can for GTE and GT3. Why would they make another spec to slot in between for a single series to use? GT2 is the other direction and seems dominated by collectible cars, look at the number of Porsches that ran once to say they did race and then in to the hermetically sealed storage to hit the auctions in 10 years. Everyone is pushing for regs and series to be built on cutting costs, building and testing and then getting hit back down by BOP isn’t going to be a profit making exercise. GTLM is going to run as GM wants and pays, in 2022 BMW will have a new GT3 and could push for GTD with confidential tires for a Pro class. We’ll end up with GTD Pro and GTD Am just like the fun of the ACO, but I would say run them 100% together and if an Am car ends up on the Pro podium great. We’d be better off pushing for GM to build a GT3 car and allow confidential tires for the fast sub-class. Cheaper than trying to force everyone to make their GT3s faster.

My feeling is you will ALWAYS see that GT subclass be it Porsche Challenge cars of the past or a specific AM class in GTD, it’s not going anywhere since it makes up a significant portion of the field and the money spent. And the 2 year window of 10 LM3s will work out well, in IMSA’s mind, to see Corvette end up in GTD by end of 2021/2022. Or at least a GTD spec car if not a full GT3.

In all honesty I would expect to see more GTLM runners with a private team than GT3 plus cars on the grid. Doubt we will see any but I could see Risi or Aston Martin do an endurance schedule with a GTE-AM team, maybe Aston with a car in a few events but with the current world I think you have to have NA operations and European operations with near 100% crew separation just in case, even next year.

Last edited by broadrun96; 29 Sep 2020 at 22:17.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 18:24 (Ref:4007840)   #50
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
IMSA gets their own event for Detroit, week before the Indy race. Still DPi/LMP2 and GTD sprint cup only. Can't help but think it may cost visits for each event spreading them out across 2 weekends.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...t-gp-for-2021/