Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Jan 2003, 18:32 (Ref:464637)   #1
ZXKawboy
Rookie

ZXKawboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar XJR's?

Hey, Mike?

Any ideas about getting some detail on the Jaguar XJR series of sports cars? You've got great notes regarding the Toyota GT1, the Bentley XP8, etc...even the AER Toyota Eagle. It seems a logical step that perhaps the XJR deserves some mention? (y'know..world sportscar championships notwithstanding)

anyway...thanks for listening, and have a good morning....
Old 5 Jan 2003, 18:38 (Ref:464643)   #2
ZXKawboy
Rookie

Also, on a quick aside...

Does anyone know where I can find information regarding the XJR's? Once again, I am stumped in my searches.

Thanks a lot, friends
Old 5 Jan 2003, 19:25 (Ref:464693)   #3
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
This is a question I get often, why don't you do a piece on this car or that car. The criteria to determine what we write about is multifold:

-Good photo documentation (minimum 10 descriptive images)
-Technical specifications
-Ability to contact the designers/those involved in its development

I often trawl the Net accumulating information. I gather a shot here a shot there. But it takes a long time. My own photo archives go back to '88, but they really aren't useful until the mid 90s. So I'm reliant on others to provide good quality images. With man of the Group C cars making it into the Historic racing series the opportunities to photograph and contact the people involved is actually increasing. Plus, people are more willing to discuss them now that 10 years+ has gone by.

If anyone has a good contact for Tony Southgate I'd love to have it.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 08:47 (Ref:465108)   #4
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a good French site (in english aswell) on the XJR14. It is called Site non-officiel de la Jaguar XJR14, and the address is
http://site.voila.fr/xjr14/index.html

Have a look its good Egor......
Old 6 Jan 2003, 09:07 (Ref:465116)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For what its worth, ZXKawboy, I have a book entitled Jaguar Group C & GTP Cars - A Technical Appraisal of the V12 Cars written by Ian Bamsey and published by Haynes in the UK in 1989. The ISBN is 0-85429-752-9.
I've no idea if there are still copies floating about....
Old 6 Jan 2003, 16:49 (Ref:465440)   #6
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Again if it is any help try http://www.sml.lr.tudelf.nl/~home/rob/models/jaguar.htm have some great pictures of XJR9 No 22 with body work on and off.

Also try http://www.prototyp.org they produce and sell card race car models, they produce a good looking XJR10/11. They have some technical info aswell as some links to other Jaguar sites and the sources they have gathered their information from.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 16:54 (Ref:465445)   #7
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Quote:
Again if it is any help try http://www.sml.lr.tudelf.nl/~home/rob/models/jaguar.htm have some great pictures of XJR9 No 22 with body work on and off.
Sorry missed a t out of the address try
http://www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/r...els/jaguar.htm
Old 8 Jan 2003, 22:39 (Ref:467961)   #8
Chofar
Racer

Chofar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it's not the real subject of this thread but i always wonder (even after reading the good article in motorsport) what really happenned with the green XJR-5 (Tullius-made) that was shown at the end of 84 (beginning of 85) running on an english track. Who drove that car ?
Was it a real test or just a maskerade made by Uncle Tom just to mock up Tullius ?
Any info on this car and decision period would be welcome
Old 9 Jan 2003, 09:05 (Ref:468243)   #9
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Quote:
Was it a real test or just a maskerade made by Uncle Tom just to mock up Tullius ?
From what I can find out, the car was XJR5 chassis number 006, a 1984 GTP car. It raced at Le Mans in 1984 and 85, then was sold to TWR and painted green and white. I believe as of 06/2000 it was with TWR / JD Classics.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 16:29 (Ref:468576)   #10
NissanGTP
Rookie

NissanGTP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you guys want Jaguar Group-C cars you should come and watch the Historic Group-C racing series.

There are several running, including the XJR-5 that tom Walkinshaw tested. There are a couple of XJR-10's, an XJR16, an XJR12 and an XJR9.

If you come along you will hopefully see all of them getting beaten by my NPT-90 Nissan??!!
Old 9 Jan 2003, 17:08 (Ref:468607)   #11
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TWR did test the grp44 car at least once, but never had any intention of racing it.
Here is a picture of the Grp 44 car at LM 84, can anyone name the driver?
To my mind one of the best looking car to run at the Sarthe.
Attached Thumbnails
411 84.jpg  
Old 10 Jan 2003, 08:40 (Ref:469254)   #12
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
The drivers in 84 were, Bob Tullius, Brian Redman and Doc Bundy.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 18:36 (Ref:470495)   #13
Chofar
Racer

Thanks for these answers.
I recall 2 tests at least. One very early (1983 i bekieve), made by Derek Bell with the approval of Porsche, just to show the car in England to rhe medias and some more serious testings in green livery later on (84-85). Bell's test is quoted in Motorsport. Was the green car the same car as the 83 white one ? Anybody knows the gap between 956's and these cars.
BTW, I also find these cars extremely beautiful. Group44 livery is great for british cars. I also still have an AMR kit of that car that i must finish some day...
Old 24 Jan 2003, 14:19 (Ref:484529)   #14
xjr5006
Rookie

xjr5006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess you are all talking about my car. I have recently had it returned to its original white with green stripes as it was getting a bit shabby and knocked about (guilty but not alone). If someone tells me how I can put up a few pics. The car was in TW's collection but wasn't the car tested by TW (he will deny it but I have the photos) at Silverstone. There was more than 1 XJR5 in reverse colours, perhaps even 3 but certainly 2. This colour scheme was carried over to the 1985 XJR6's before Silk Cut money was forthcoming. One of the TWR XJR5's had a TWR twin cam engine fitted and tested with it; boy could I do with the extra horses that would give me.
In period a 956 had a little extra power (and could turn it up) whilst the XJR5 had better handling and brakes. Nowadays most 956's run 962 engines and can afford a higher boost for the whole period of our silly short races. I could respond with an XJR7 engine but need to get a stronger transaxle to live with the power. So if anyone has or knows of a Hewland VGC-5 let me know so I can close the performance gap. The next problem would be the ECU; my car runs Lucus Mico 001, yep the very first ever in anything (tell me if im wrong) electronic ECU. Guess all I could do it ensure the cams are the same and turn the pressure up to take care of the extra capacity. Can't believe it would be possible to re chip or calibrate it.
It also doesn't help that I'm rusty club race standard and they are pros.
Why did TW want to get his hands on the Group 44 cars if he was always going to build and run his own? Let me just pose a couple more questions; Is there more money in buying in a complete race car or in designing and building your own in the very latest expensive space age materials? Why are the engine parts of a Group 44 V12 engine nearly totally interchangeable with those of the later TWR v12 engine? I let you form your own answers.
Don
Old 28 Jan 2003, 12:51 (Ref:488276)   #15
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just for the look of it, here is a Grp 44 Jag engine.
Attached Thumbnails
401jaggrp44.jpg  
Old 28 Jan 2003, 13:14 (Ref:488298)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great stuff xjr5006. Thanks for sharing it with us. To post a pic, use the usual reply option and go to the "Attach file" option and then browse to the pic on your hard disc. Pics are limited in size to 400x400 pixels (I always limit the longest edge to 390, to be sure). Don't set the highest resolution and it could fail on file size (which is quoted, but I can't remember what it is!).

Having checked, I see it is 102400 bytes, which I guess is 102kbs.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 28 Jan 2003 at 13:16.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 18:38 (Ref:488579)   #17
Chofar
Racer

Many thanks XJR, I didn't even thought about such an answer.
I wish you good luck with your car. Any chance to see it in France ?
As for TW, it confirms what i read recently and what i thought in these days. These testings were made to prove that the Tullius cars were not good, even if they were.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 03:53 (Ref:489001)   #18
xjr5006
Rookie

hopefully this will show my car before it got repainted;
Attached Thumbnails
xjr5nurbpic2jp.jpg  
Old 29 Jan 2003, 04:05 (Ref:489009)   #19
xjr5006
Rookie

And this is it after being returned to its original colours (I know it hasn't got all the stripes here)
Attached Thumbnails
xjr5atmonza2jp.jpg  
Old 29 Jan 2003, 05:32 (Ref:489044)   #20
Badger
Rookie

Badger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone else think the Mosler looks an awful lot like these Jags?
Old 29 Jan 2003, 07:04 (Ref:489081)   #21
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
just ugly like this one

Ciao Marco
Old 13 Feb 2003, 09:28 (Ref:505242)   #22
xjr5006
Rookie

She was unveiled before you where Dani, and won her 1st GP while you where still in nappies. Unfortunately circumstances have dictated that you have arguably missed the one of the greatest periods of sportscar racing. As for her being ugly? Never heard that one before... but there is a need to appreciate the pure profiles necessary to achieve over 200mph and lap faster than F1 cars. Is a 962 ugly? what about the Nissan GTPs and the Toyota? To me they are all pure forms in their own right with their shape dictated by the cutting edge of aerodynamic knowledge at the time and the need to comply with changing regulations. Perhaps beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 13:19 (Ref:505393)   #23
Brant
Rookie

Brant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the Group 44 Jag at Watkins Glenn. The first Group C Jag at it's intro at Mosport. The GTP XJR's at Portland. Then the stunning Bud light xjr-14. The greatest cars in the greatest era of sportscar racing. Quite often they had to run seperate races for the GT classes because of the swelling entrance fields. I watched Daytona this year, I felt like dressing in black and mourning the Group C/GTP days.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 13:38 (Ref:505402)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
just ugly like this one
Nothing ugly at all about that car.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 15:47 (Ref:505484)   #25
ZXKawboy
Rookie

I agree. Nothing ugly at all.