Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 31 Jan 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3708082)   #1
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sebring

For a first time visitor to Sebring (for the 12 hours), is it worth paying the $55 parking charge to park inside or is it better taking the free option, parking outside and getting a shuttle into the circuit?
Old 31 Jan 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3708098)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fergus, hope you enjoy your first 12 hrs. Sebring is an odd place but hosts a cool race!

So who else is going? Right now, I plan on heading south in the second week of March and camp in Green Park, one of the most lovely, disgusting places on earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
For a first time visitor to Sebring (for the 12 hours), is it worth paying the $55 parking charge to park inside or is it better taking the free option, parking outside and getting a shuttle into the circuit?
Pay to park, imho. However, I camp so that's all I know.

Once you get into the facility, the tram stops only along the front stretch / back stretch / paddock area:
https://www.sebringraceway.com/fan-info/track-map

The place is flat but it's much bigger than you'll realize, so if you shuttle in, you'll be left to your feet only. The issue with driving is parking is first come first serve, so you may have some trouble finding a place to park, even if temporarily. You WILL be able to find a spot, but it may or may not be worth it. I just don't know and would suggest trying to drive in and park. 55 may be worth it.
Old 31 Jan 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3708100)   #3
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks, looking forward to it! Did Daytona last year so interested to see how the two events compare. I'll be there all 4 days so should have time to soak it all in.

I'll probably just pay the extra for parking- I'm not camping but it's probably not worth the hassle just to save a relatively small amount of money, compared to the overall cost of the trip.

Schedule is here for anyone who hasn't seen it: https://www.sebringraceway.com/image...t-schedule.pdf
Old 1 Feb 2017, 00:20 (Ref:3708244)   #4
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Thanks, looking forward to it! Did Daytona last year so interested to see how the two events compare. I'll be there all 4 days so should have time to soak it all in.

I'll probably just pay the extra for parking- I'm not camping but it's probably not worth the hassle just to save a relatively small amount of money, compared to the overall cost of the trip.

Schedule is here for anyone who hasn't seen it: https://www.sebringraceway.com/image...t-schedule.pdf
LOL, I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on the event. After my first visit, there was lots of quiet reflection on the way home. I'd pay for the parking pass as it is a deceptively large track.
Old 1 Feb 2017, 05:28 (Ref:3708288)   #5
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pay the fee. If you are camping, head towards 10/11 area, while it is full late in the week, earlier in the week there is more room to be had. If not there, aim for the hairpin. Oh, and get some fire ant killer.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 1 Feb 2017, 16:33 (Ref:3708429)   #6
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
scottypinthemix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Oh, and get some fire ant killer.
+10 bazillion on that one
The alcohol steered me wrong at some point on Saturday last year and I was walking around in flip flops most of the evening. Next morning my feet looked like I was shooting BBs at them from close range for a month.

pay the $ to get into the infield
Old 1 Feb 2017, 18:23 (Ref:3708448)   #7
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll fourth (or is it fifth) the sentiment to pay to park. It's way too far out to the free parking and sucks waiting for a tram and you'll regret it on the first day. I usually park between the midway and big bend area and it's really nice to be able to easily stop by the car for some beers and snacks and just to sit in the A/C on a soft seat for awhile.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 16:56 (Ref:3708764)   #8
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thanks for all the advice- parking inside it is
Old 4 Feb 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3709447)   #9
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Wear comfortable walking shoes, you will likely be walking a lot. Sunscreen, and use it! There is little shade, Florida is the semi-tropics and you will get a lot of it! Same reason I strongly recommend a decent sun hat (I don't have a lot of hair). I also would recommend a nifty folding chair with a carry strap, or some sort of pad if you are going to sit on the viewing mounds (watch for the ants).

Have fun. Great place. Amazing history there.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 19:56 (Ref:3714085)   #10
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So my Sebring Mailer just arrived (on 2/22). There's an advanced tickets order form due back by 2/15....still not sure how I forgot but that's all been worked out!

Also, the Florida Orchestra will be performing a concert on the Midway March 11. It will feature music from Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, William Tell Overture, Mendelssohn's symphony No.4 and Flight of the Bumblebee. What are they doing? Trying to class up the joint? Where's Molly Hatchet these days? Surely they have some open dates...
Old 22 Feb 2017, 20:37 (Ref:3714092)   #11
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
So my Sebring Mailer just arrived (on 2/22). There's an advanced tickets order form due back by 2/15....still not sure how I forgot but that's all been worked out!

Also, the Florida Orchestra will be performing a concert on the Midway March 11. It will feature music from Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, William Tell Overture, Mendelssohn's symphony No.4 and Flight of the Bumblebee. What are they doing? Trying to class up the joint? Where's Molly Hatchet these days? Surely they have some open dates...
ROFL, that is good stuff. Wish i was joining the fun but can't make it work this year.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 21:31 (Ref:3714098)   #12
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
ROFL, that is good stuff. Wish i was joining the fun but can't make it work this year.
I had to check. Their webpage is dreadful. NASCAR like, if you will. Next up for Hatchet is March 31st at the 18th Street Concert Club – San Leon, Texas. They do play in Savannah in April.

They may be the actual group that plays in T10....
Old 23 Feb 2017, 20:35 (Ref:3714329)   #13
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice everyone. Not long to go
Old 23 Feb 2017, 20:36 (Ref:3714330)   #14
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
I assume the track walk Wednesday evening is open to all?
Old 23 Feb 2017, 21:54 (Ref:3714352)   #15
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
Quote:
I assume the track walk Wednesday evening is open to all?
If you're able to "walk" by Wednesday evening, you're doing it wrong.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 14:02 (Ref:3715309)   #16
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottypinthemix View Post
If you're able to "walk" by Wednesday evening, you're doing it wrong.
Ha, none of that for me, I'll probably be one of the few people who can say that
Old 28 Feb 2017, 15:20 (Ref:3715322)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Well, if you can't walk, you may be able to get a ride on one of these. I am certain the drivers will be sober:

Old 28 Feb 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3715330)   #18
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
They look...interesting.

Think I'll stick to the hire car.
Old 2 Mar 2017, 23:54 (Ref:3715967)   #19
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I'll be arriving on Wednesday afternoon/evening. Let me know if anyone is interested in trying to get together at some point during that weekend.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 02:40 (Ref:3715993)   #20
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd be interested in meeting anyone from here. Friday night might be a good time, right after the races end.

On Thursday after night practice, they'll be showing Le Mans (the movie) on the big screen by the midway. They also show the race broadcast on the big screen and it's a good way to check up on how things are going Saturday night when all you can see is one turn and headlights.

And speaking of the midway and following the race, when I went to testing I noticed they were installing speakers on the light posts along the midway so it looks like they will finally have some sort of P.A. system in place other than just behind the pits.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 09:17 (Ref:3716046)   #21
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Never had so much hassle trying to get tickets, seemingly they are incapable of selling to non-US addresses even though I'll be picking them up at the circuit anyway. Physically won't let me continue without a US address!
Old 3 Mar 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3716146)   #22
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
I'm getting pumped.
This weekend is "make the list" weekend.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 17:54 (Ref:3716181)   #23
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well, if you can't walk, you may be able to get a ride on one of these. I am certain the drivers will be sober:
The top two are both LaBomba... you are unlikely to get a ride on either.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 3 Mar 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3716182)   #24
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
The top two are both LaBomba... you are unlikely to get a ride on either.
I know and I know.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 20:53 (Ref:3716227)   #25
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
I know and I know.
Oh. Just making sure.