Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Oct 2017, 12:06 (Ref:3773998)   #51
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it presumable recent Moff inclusions into historical recitals (eg.Chevron productions) have come at a cost?
Old 14 Oct 2017, 04:11 (Ref:3774114)   #52
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We were at the Muscle Car Masters a few years ago and Dick Johnson and Colin Bond were at a table singing autographs.

We were just behind them behind a low fence and could see all

We were absolutely amazed and astounded at what Dick in particular had to sign.

Guys fronted up with big bags and produced 20 to 30 examples of the same models. These were obviously NOT fans but profiteers. I think Dick would have been within his rights to only sign one for each guy. These signings should be for FANS only.

In part I blame Biante and Classic Carlectables for allowing people to buy so many of one model. Surely they must realise what is going on.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 06:43 (Ref:3774137)   #53
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love being in the autograph queue, and the bloke in front of you has a large stripey bag in each hand full of models, t-shirts and books wanting them signed by Craig Lowndes etc!
Old 14 Oct 2017, 20:31 (Ref:3774215)   #54
Terry S
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Love being in the autograph queue, and the bloke in front of you has a large stripey bag in each hand full of models, t-shirts and books wanting them signed by Craig Lowndes etc!
Yes those big stripey bags are the give away........ normal fans don’t go to race meetings with those things
Old 16 Oct 2017, 04:45 (Ref:3774428)   #55
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Had to butter him up (speak to his ego) to sign the lid. I don't mind paying a small fee for an autograph, (Comic-Conventions do this all the time, I paid $100 to get two autographs from the actor Karl Urban one year) it was just Moffat's attitude and lack of empathy, manners and positive personality that got me.
Thanks for explaining what happened.
I have never met Allan but would love the chance one day to say Hello and maybe get that signature. What wouldn't be nice is to meet the man and be treated badly; he was the driver my father, and, then by default, myself, followed. Often my son is with me when we line up to meet a driver and the experiences have been mostly positive. In particular Lee Holdsworth I found to be very friendly and up for a chat about the event and where he was at with the car. Courtney has always been great and has a lifelong fan in my son for the way he gives him his time. Another perhaps surprise was how well Alex Rullo conversed with young and old fans....another driver that my son has since taken to following, all due to his friendly nature at the Darwin morning track meet earlier this year
Old 17 Oct 2017, 01:42 (Ref:3774584)   #56
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
In part I blame Biante and Classic Carlectables for allowing people to buy so many of one model. Surely they must realise what is going on.
I saw AM at a signing session at a Hobby Shop once, with people arriving with Model Cars & Certificates to be signed. He was actually checking the manufacturer of the cars (Biante/AutoArt vs Classic) and refused to sign any Classic models, due to his commercial arrangement with Biante.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 02:52 (Ref:3774589)   #57
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the double pay for meet and greet / signage is a double edged sword. its not unique to motorsports / sports as musicians also charge for meet and greets before / after concerts etc. would i pay it? perhaps in some rare cases.

These guys pretty much owe their careers to the public that supported them. Without the public there would have been no career and no one would be queuing for autographs now. The position they are in is a privilege.

Now, that does not mean that the public has free reign to exploit them for personal gain but it has to be within reason. These guys know who the habitual offenders are - they are the ones who should be targeted.

Even if someone does go and sell it on Ebay - is that such a bad thing? the option was certainly open for the driver to do the same but they have not. This is not the sellers worry. Again the fact that this is something that the public is willing to pay for is a credit to the drivers and the career that has been built over decades of public support. The fact that it is perceived to hold value in the first place is driven by the public support that has been given freely to that driver.

Personally, if Moff, Skaife, Lowndes, Whincup, Johnson, whoever asked for cash for an autograph id tell them to politely go and multiply. Note, i think that asking for an autograph in person is quite different to procuring one commercially. There is the meet the hero aspect - something that solidifies the mystique and support for that driver in the autograph seeker - which is something that can transcend generations when the old man talks about the time he met so and so. This is not something that an ebay transaction can get you.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 03:34 (Ref:3774596)   #58
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
I saw AM at a signing session at a Hobby Shop once, with people arriving with Model Cars & Certificates to be signed. He was actually checking the manufacturer of the cars (Biante/AutoArt vs Classic) and refused to sign any Classic models, due to his commercial arrangement with Biante.
So how'd that go down with the owners of the Classic models?
Old 17 Oct 2017, 21:21 (Ref:3774743)   #59
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
So how'd that go down with the owners of the Classic models?
They were obviously miffed, but it was advertised by Biante. I knew that was his policy already, given Classic were making his cars without any approval from him
Old 17 Oct 2017, 21:49 (Ref:3774751)   #60
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just finished the AJ book which was a great read - especially the nick names he gave people Jack the Foot etc....

Have started Moffat and just finished the chapter on the Mustang - certainly no love lost with Jane & Geoghegan
Old 18 Oct 2017, 06:42 (Ref:3774798)   #61
Terry S
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post

Most recently I read the Jack Murray book by his son Phil, very entertaining although the structure of the book made the overall picture a little hard to follow as it dealt with the different areas of his life separately - trials, motor racing, travel, water skiing, etc - he had a very full life! Some of the stories are well-known but I would challenge anyone not to learn something new from the book.
RE JACK MURRAY book, I agree it is very disjointed, jumps all over the place. Very disappointing.
Found the early stuff on racing in the fifties very interesting and informative, and learnt a lot.
Disliked the inclusion of script from "This is your life". Thought it just a stocking filler.
Example of disjointedness is page 272. From nowhere is sentence: "In December 1980, aged 73, he had his gangrenous right leg removed just above the knee"
No lead in or subsequent news. Just one sentence.
Why did such a fit and strong man who didn't drink or smoke need his leg removed?
Whilst I hate to knock Australiana, I could not recommend this book.

A much better read is "Journeys with Gelignite Jack" by Evan Green.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:17 (Ref:3776051)   #62
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a fair way into the Moffat book, i've just read the bit where Mazda collected all their bits and pieces.

Two interesting bits i'm come across so far that i'd love more info on as they are sort of just skimmed over in the book;

- Who paid for "Project B52"? It would, you'd think, have cost a bomb especially considering he was out on his own. Did Brut 33 fund it? Ford on the quiet? Did all his friends like Pan-Am & his American connections just not charge?

- I had always thought the car that went to the USA was the ex-Gibson XA from 1973 that Moffat used early in the 1974 ATCC, and was later burnt to the ground in 1975. In the book however Moffat states he had the ex-Gibson car in Australia as well as a car in the USA...

What happened to Moffat's local car from 1974? It must have gone somewhere after '74, as when B52 burnt to the ground on the way to Adelaide in 1975, he took on John Goss' Falcon.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 21:39 (Ref:3776869)   #63
gtcapri
Racer

Australia
Maitland NSW
gtcapri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I'm a fair way into the Moffat book, i've just read the bit where Mazda collected all their bits and pieces.

Two interesting bits i'm come across so far that i'd love more info on as they are sort of just skimmed over in the book;

- Who paid for "Project B52"? It would, you'd think, have cost a bomb especially considering he was out on his own. Did Brut 33 fund it? Ford on the quiet? Did all his friends like Pan-Am & his American connections just not charge?

- I had always thought the car that went to the USA was the ex-Gibson XA from 1973 that Moffat used early in the 1974 ATCC, and was later burnt to the ground in 1975. In the book however Moffat states he had the ex-Gibson car in Australia as well as a car in the USA...

What happened to Moffat's local car from 1974? It must have gone somewhere after '74, as when B52 burnt to the ground on the way to Adelaide in 1975, he took on John Goss' Falcon.
I read that too and thought the same thing. Last mention of it was it became the 74 Sandown car because he wanted to keep 'B52' for Bathurst. Perhaps the car became the 'Project Phoenix' Falcon? Maybe the '77 Bond Falcon?
Old 15 Nov 2017, 02:56 (Ref:3780504)   #64
Terry S
Racer

Model of Moffat Transporter and Mustang

I've often wondered about a model of Moffat's transporter and now I have found one.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=a...=1510714203785

Although only in 1:64 scale it looks pretty good in photos and is only cheap at USD 20.

I have ordered one
Old 16 Nov 2017, 01:39 (Ref:3780661)   #65
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Bowden's one takes a lot of beating
Old 16 Nov 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3780839)   #66
Terry S
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
The Bowden's one takes a lot of beating
What’s that about?
Old 17 Nov 2017, 08:58 (Ref:3780921)   #67
Librules
Rookie

Librules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What’s that about?
Probably that Bowdens have that transporter and the Mustang in their collection, as well as the later enclosed IH transporter.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 07:43 (Ref:3781904)   #68
nathan2
Rookie

nathan2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've started to read the book too, let's see if I agree (more or less) with most of you guys...
Old 22 Nov 2017, 06:15 (Ref:3782132)   #69
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Me too. I'm liking what I'm reading so far.
Old 3 Dec 2017, 23:05 (Ref:3784974)   #70
Terry S
Racer

This new book on Allan Moffat is claimed in some quarters to be the first on him.

I beg to differ, as I have two books on him and there may be others.

My previous two are :

- "Allan Moffat's Scrapbook"
by Bryan Hanrahan with Allan Moffat.

- "Allan Moffat's Racing RX7 Mazda"
by Garry Sparke.

Both are hardcovers.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 06:34 (Ref:3794869)   #71
Terry S
Racer

Quote:
Model of Moffat Transporter and Mustang

I've often wondered about a model of Moffat's transporter and now I have found one.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=a...=1510714203785

Although only in 1:64 scale it looks pretty good in photos and is only cheap at USD 20.

I have ordered one
Just received my model of transporter and Mustang. I had not realised it was on pre-order when I did.

Absolutely beautiful models and incredible for the price. Looks as good as in the pictures.

The packaging says it is part of Allan Moffat Memorabilia collection.

For those without a model of the famous Mustang this is terrific value. You can buy the car alone for the same price, but the two for USD 20 is a no brainer.

This set now appearing in some websites and shops here and a bit of ripping off going on I believe. Most seem to have it at AUD 50 plus postage.

I paid USD 19.99 which at 80 cents forex rate is AUD 25. Postage was USD 4.57 or AUD 5.70.

So all in all very pleased with purchase.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 00:37 (Ref:3800596)   #72
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finished reading it on the weekend, well worth a read.

You got to admire the bloke for trying so hard at his chosen profession, would have broken a lot of other men.

I don’t reckon Mr Moffat buys any tyres from his local Bob Jane outlet, probably doesn’t have Bob around for coffee.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 22:34 (Ref:3802250)   #73
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Funnily enough, if you listen to the latest Howie Games podcast, Alan Jones doesn't have many nice things to say about Bob Jane either in a fascinating chat.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 06:42 (Ref:3803318)   #74
Kingair
Veteran

Now marked down to $16.00 at K-mart!
Old 31 Oct 2018, 01:11 (Ref:3860042)   #75
Kingair
Veteran

Australia Post have it for $14.99 in their latest catalogue.