Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 5 Aug 2013, 23:00 (Ref:3286346)   #2276
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
Sorry if this has been quoted here before? I was reading a Porsche Magazine whilst waiting for my cars MOT test this morning...Porsche said they had debated wether to go F1 or WEC, but rejected Formula One as a "Tabloid Sport! and recognised WEC was followed by "Real Enthusiasts"...Cool!
That indeed is great to read !
Old 5 Aug 2013, 23:11 (Ref:3286352)   #2277
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim240z View Post
Thanks! The 5-stroke seems to have some of the properties of the Stirling Engine in the way it uses compression and expansion.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 15:57 (Ref:3286963)   #2278
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which drivers will take the remaing Porsche LMP1 seats?
Old 7 Aug 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3286988)   #2279
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry if this has been quoted here before? I was reading a Porsche Magazine whilst waiting for my cars MOT test this morning...Porsche said they had debated wether to go F1 or WEC, but rejected Formula One as a "Tabloid Sport! and recognised WEC was followed by "Real Enthusiasts"...Cool!
I have always thought this!
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 7 Aug 2013, 17:56 (Ref:3286991)   #2280
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
And I think that it can be put to rest now: Roger Penske on Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain did admit to talking to Porsche about their LMP1 car. However, Roger confirmed that Porsche has their own factory team to run their cars next year, so Penske is out of that race.

Speculation/my take: Penske might run the Porsche LMP1 as a customer program in the future if there's a place in America to run it or he decides to run LM or the WEC, but Penske's out for sure as far as a full factory program, let alone being the new factory team.

This has been known for a while as far as hardcore sportscar fans, but this also might put to bed the rumors of an American LMP1 racing series as far as that happening any time soon.
Noting that the LMP2 program was denied, right up until the day it was announced. The last person to listen to is the team principle, or PR people, as most often they must deny things, until official announcements can be made. That isn't to say that I believe anything will happen, just that I don't put much faith in such statements.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 18:17 (Ref:3286995)   #2281
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Which of course most of us here have known for a loooonnnngggg time......
Old 7 Aug 2013, 20:37 (Ref:3287021)   #2282
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
Which drivers will take the remaing Porsche LMP1 seats?
I suspect they might go for an American for marketing reasons but not sure who. In the past Porsche has usually had somebody from the USA in their squad.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 02:22 (Ref:3287125)   #2283
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Audi/Toyota don't have an American driver and Porsche and Audi have the same American marketing interest so i dont think there is a push for a token American driver. Selection purely based on ability in the cockpit.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 07:03 (Ref:3287188)   #2284
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Audi/Toyota don't have an American driver and Porsche and Audi have the same American marketing interest so i dont think there is a push for a token American driver. Selection purely based on ability in the cockpit.
Yep. I don't think Porsche will base it on anything else.

In fact, so serious is this project, that some of the noises coming from them suggest beating the opposition is more important than the marketing from the project....!
Old 8 Aug 2013, 08:40 (Ref:3287212)   #2285
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Dumas-Berhnard-Webber-Jani are for sure ..... names that are flying around in the rumour mill are :

Vernay-Lyonnais-Pla-Heidfeld-Conway-Luhr-Graff-Makowiecki-Martin-Watts-Stanaway-Christensen-Pilet-Tandy-Holzer-Lieb .

Some of the currant Porsche drivers have expressed a wish to stay in GTE , good .

There ya go , a right speculation of mixed talent . This is being talked about , and Porsche indeed seem to want a 3rd car for Le Mans ..... YES Source is this article from Endurance-Info below .
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-19837.html

I'd like to see Lieb in the car .
Old 8 Aug 2013, 11:18 (Ref:3287277)   #2286
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
In fact, so serious is this project, that some of the noises coming from them suggest beating the opposition is more important than the marketing from the project....!
Some mistake, surely!
Old 8 Aug 2013, 11:33 (Ref:3287288)   #2287
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Vernay-Lyonnais-Pla-Heidfeld-Conway-Luhr-Graff-Makowiecki-Martin-Watts-Stanaway-Christensen-Pilet-Tandy-Holzer-Lieb .
I may be mistaken, but didn't Makowiecki come close to a Peugeot drive several years ago?
Old 8 Aug 2013, 11:44 (Ref:3287294)   #2288
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Their marketing machine has been hard at work reminding everybody that they are returning for some time now. That is not to say that winning isn't a top priority as it goes hand in hand with exposure. That said, if anyone thinks that Porsche doesn't have something to prove and is going to be happy with not winning they are sorely mistaken.

It is a matter of pride within the motor sports group and beyond. I was reminded as much last Summer with a visit to the factory and having been fortunate enough to talk with certain employees. This is a way of telling anyone who thinks that they are not the same Porsche that most of us remember that they are back. They are going to do everything within their power to beat all comers, especially Audi.

:
Old 8 Aug 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3287314)   #2289
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...and may they be successful.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 13:31 (Ref:3287318)   #2290
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
I may be mistaken, but didn't Makowiecki come close to a Peugeot drive several years ago?
yeah , I seem to recall something about that in the back of my mind . Same for varney , wasn't he a spare driver for them one year . Be great to see Pug return !
Old 8 Aug 2013, 13:33 (Ref:3287319)   #2291
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Some mistake, surely!
In the article , Porsche Ceo expects them to win asap . I cant imagine Porsche doing anything else to be honest .
Old 8 Aug 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3287403)   #2292
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Some mistake, surely!
Not really. We're talking about winning Le Mans here. That'll be Porsche's single aim. Any entries in the WEC could maybe see some american drivers in a couple of years...
Old 8 Aug 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3287431)   #2293
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is Porsche. Their marketing strategy often involves no marketing strategy, by which I mean they turn up to Le Mans, win it magnificently, and then all of a sudden we (the enthusiasts) have an urge to by a Porsche (not including me in this obviously, my Panda is somewhat easier to insure at my age than a 911). As Rennen said earlier, this is an enthusiast's sport and they know it. If you want to market your cars to Joe Public and sell your Cayennes or whatever to them, stick an ad on the tele or in a newspaper...that will do you more good than an F1 podium every now and again. And that's what they'll do.

To some people - most, in fact - "Porsche" is a brand name that is desirable. But that's built on a pedigree that we, the enthusiasts, have helped create. Porsche have obviously felt the need to continue that.

Ergo, every driver whose bottom touches the seat of this LMP1 Porsche will be the best driver available when the contracts are signed.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 06:27 (Ref:3287499)   #2294
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
This is Porsche. Their marketing strategy often involves no marketing strategy, by which I mean they turn up to Le Mans, win it magnificently, and then all of a sudden we (the enthusiasts) have an urge to by a Porsche (not including me in this obviously, my Panda is somewhat easier to insure at my age than a 911). As Rennen said earlier, this is an enthusiast's sport and they know it. If you want to market your cars to Joe Public and sell your Cayennes or whatever to them, stick an ad on the tele or in a newspaper...that will do you more good than an F1 podium every now and again. And that's what they'll do.

To some people - most, in fact - "Porsche" is a brand name that is desirable. But that's built on a pedigree that we, the enthusiasts, have helped create. Porsche have obviously felt the need to continue that.

Ergo, every driver whose bottom touches the seat of this LMP1 Porsche will be the best driver available when the contracts are signed.

I agree with what he said
Old 9 Aug 2013, 11:21 (Ref:3287568)   #2295
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
I may have missed it, but is there any info on what Energy Recovery System Porsche will use with their tiny 1.8 - 2.0 inline 4-cylinder turbo-charged engine?
Old 9 Aug 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3287571)   #2296
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Some mistake, surely!
I was kidding, guys...
Old 9 Aug 2013, 11:28 (Ref:3287572)   #2297
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
I may have missed it, but is there any info on what Energy Recovery System Porsche will use with their tiny 1.8 - 2.0 inline 4-cylinder turbo-charged engine?
I haven't heard but their 911 hybrid used a flywheel system like Audi's. I think this was developed by Williams originally.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 11:32 (Ref:3287573)   #2298
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Can the flywheel system harvest and release the energy quick enough?
Old 9 Aug 2013, 12:42 (Ref:3287588)   #2299
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Can the flywheel system harvest and release the energy quick enough?
Works for Audi!
Old 9 Aug 2013, 12:44 (Ref:3287590)   #2300
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you mean, can it be expanded to eight megajoules ... no clue. The flywheel stores the energy as rotation, so to increase storage, either mass or speed would need to increase. Harvesting and discharging shouldn't be a problem but storing the energy might be ... but I am not an engineer.

EDIT: "Works for Audi!" Not yet. The current system which is much much smaller has worked well for both Porsche and Audi in endurance racing, but as far as I know, no test results for the much larger 2014 system have been published.

I assume the engineers at Porsche and Audi can make it work. They seem to be pretty good at their jobs.