Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who do you think the driver of the British Grand Prix was?
Sebastian Vettel 22 41.51%
Lewis Hamilton 13 24.53%
Kimi Räikkönen 9 16.98%
Valtteri Bottas 1 1.89%
Daniel Ricciardo 1 1.89%
Nico Hülkenberg 2 3.77%
Esteban Ocon 0 0%
Fernando Alonso 3 5.66%
Kevin Magnussen 0 0%
Pierre Gasly 0 0%
Sergio Pérez 0 0%
Stoffel Vandoorne 0 0%
Lance Stroll 0 0%
Sergey Sirotkin 0 0%
Max Verstappen 0 0%
Romain Grosjean 0 0%
Carlos Sainz 0 0%
Marcus Ericsson 0 0%
Charles Leclerc 0 0%
Brendon Hartley 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Jul 2018, 14:18 (Ref:3835903)   #26
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Stone last to 6th in 10 laps (no pit stops for any runner - other than 1 retirement) says it all. What are we watching?
In that specific case, a brilliant but angry driver in a near-perfect car in near-perfect conditions on near-perfect tyres.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 14:48 (Ref:3835907)   #27
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
In that specific case, a brilliant but angry driver in a near-perfect car in near-perfect conditions on near-perfect tyres.
Lewis whining the car was carrying damage, engineer assuring him it was not showing on the data. Then instructions to turn PU to up and just blow past everyone?
Old 10 Jul 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3835921)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Exactly this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Lewis whining the car was carrying damage, engineer assuring him it was not showing on the data. Then instructions to turn PU to up and just blow past everyone?
And.....? Why the question mark? He's somehow at fault because he's a very good driver in arguably the best car? Dammit Lewis, get yourself back to a McLaren and fight like a man!
Old 11 Jul 2018, 10:29 (Ref:3836031)   #29
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Sorry, but I am not THAT impressed by any of the so-called comeback drives.
Hardly ever, the cars they are overtaking offer any opposition. They don't even try to defend or make it difficult. Why? Because doing so makes them lose them time. Time which they need because they themselves are racing car X or driver Y which is only a position in front or further back.

I understand why this happens but it takes away a LOT from those "comeback drives". Driving through the field isn't that hard if you have a car or engine advantage and the cars you are "fighting" are just cooperating nicely.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 10:30 (Ref:3836032)   #30
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
LOL! His main championship rival got taken out by his team-mate, and he had to fight for the win!!???
Uhm, do you think Bottas just gifted him that first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Hamilton get's taken out, with a sensational comeback from dead last to second
In my eyes (see my post above) that was not really sensational.
And he wasn't dead last either. Hartley was still in the pits, and Perez never passed him after he himself spun. That's 18th instead of 20th.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3836125)   #31
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Hamilton fanbois have a strange ability to emulate their hero’s ‘victim’ and ‘the world is against is me’ persona.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 19:39 (Ref:3836135)   #32
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can someone explain to me why coming through the pack is so impressive in contemporary F1? This isn't a parity formula right? Like, it's not exactly BTCC - there's 3, sometimes 5 cars on the track that can give Lewis a run, the rest are either relatively slow, customers of Mercedes or both.

My driver of the day got a good start - arguably a requirement of DOTD
Old 11 Jul 2018, 19:44 (Ref:3836137)   #33
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brendan Hartley, made no mistakes at all.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 21:05 (Ref:3836155)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Hamilton fanbois have a strange ability to emulate their hero’s ‘victim’ and ‘the world is against is me’ persona.
I'm not certain which is worse - the fanboys or the irrational 'haters'.....
Old 11 Jul 2018, 21:10 (Ref:3836159)   #35
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Please, don't use the words 'fanbois' and/or 'haters'.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 21:11 (Ref:3836161)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think once you use one, the other goes hand in hand. But you're right, I dislike them both as descriptions.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 23:14 (Ref:3836177)   #37
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry... 'apologists' probably better.
Let it be known I'm relatively neutral when it comes to F1, I don't really have any allegiances as such.
It is interesting to observe behaviour of fan groups though. Jacques fans were also interesting back in the day.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 00:16 (Ref:3836191)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Can someone explain to me why coming through the pack is so impressive in contemporary F1? This isn't a parity formula right? Like, it's not exactly BTCC - there's 3, sometimes 5 cars on the track that can give Lewis a run, the rest are either relatively slow, customers of Mercedes or both.

My driver of the day got a good start - arguably a requirement of DOTD
It used to be, when a bunch of Garagistas were running DFVs.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 00:19 (Ref:3836192)   #39
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Brendan Hartley, made no mistakes at all.
.... other than taking the STR gig.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 00:39 (Ref:3836194)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
.... other than taking the STR gig.
Is Hartley that good?
Old 12 Jul 2018, 07:58 (Ref:3836232)   #41
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
It has nothing to do with Lewis or Mercedes. The same goes for Vettel, Raikkonen, Bottas, Verstappen en Ricciardo.

Their car and/or engine advantage is such that it is no use for the pack to even offer opposition. It is not their fight and the pass is inevitable anyways, so they don't get involved and want to lose as little time as possible.
That is just the state of things.
Just letting those faster cars by is called 'smart driving' or 'good thinking' by the commentators on Channel 4.

That makes is less impressive in my eyes, and that is the same for all top 6 cars.

It would be different if one of the faster midfield cars (a Renault perhaps) would come through from 18th till 7th. I am quite convinced that car WILL be fought hard, and the driver would really have to work for it.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 08:14 (Ref:3836237)   #42
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Is Hartley that good?
No but he has compounded his own shortcomings with a lot of mechanical woes.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 09:08 (Ref:3836250)   #43
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I do understand that Lewis' car had far better performance than a lot of the cars that he overtook, I also understand that drivers from further down the grid may well have allowed him to pass them more easily. However, how far back (in time if you prefer, instead of distance) when he re-started after being spun out of the race? Surely the time he made up on the leaders to get back up there was still an ipmresssive achievement?
Old 12 Jul 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3836291)   #44
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Surely the time he made up on the leaders to get back up there was still an ipmresssive achievement?
But he did not make up time before the safety car. He was 14s behind after lap 2 and 23s behind after lap 32 (source: replay of live timing in the F1 app). Granted, he will have lost time passing as well but the argument "he made up so much time" is not valid.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 16:44 (Ref:3836323)   #45
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi. Passing cars on his own merit to the podium. Not like the other guy where cars just moved out of the way.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 21:48 (Ref:3836385)   #46
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Kimi. Passing cars on his own merit to the podium. Not like the other guy where cars just moved out of the way.
I'm old enough to remember Senna, the real one not just the film character. Back in those days it was considered a positive that drivers were intimidated out of the way by the sight of his yellow helmet. He certainly was not vilified for his reputation preceding him like Hamilton is.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Jul 2018, 23:29 (Ref:3836410)   #47
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'm old enough to remember Senna, the real one not just the film character. Back in those days it was considered a positive that drivers were intimidated out of the way by the sight of his yellow helmet. He certainly was not vilified for his reputation preceding him like Hamilton is.
Fair point, but Hamilton's passes in Silverstone were effectively mobile chicanes such was the speed differential. Even if his opponents were intimidated by the halo-impeded shiny Lewis helmet, the passes wouldn't have been any easier than they were.

Entertaining show though.

Vettel got my vote, purely for his excellent start, and the outstanding move on Bottas. Reminded me of the move Rosberg pulled in Abu Dhabi. Literally won him the title. We'll only know at the end of the season of Seb's move was just as important.
Old 13 Jul 2018, 07:45 (Ref:3836446)   #48
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where is Lewis vilified for being waved through? Saying it was not as hard a come back as it is made to be is hardly vilifying someone.

btw.: the same applies for Vettel's comeback drive in France.
Old 13 Jul 2018, 08:03 (Ref:3836448)   #49
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Where is Lewis vilified for being waved through? Saying it was not as hard a come back as it is made to be is hardly vilifying someone.

btw.: the same applies for Vettel's comeback drive in France.
All over the internet! Facebook comments in particular are most scathing. There's a lot of haters out there.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 13 Jul 2018, 17:01 (Ref:3836506)   #50
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Jacques fans were also interesting back in the day.
You remember nothing.