Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 26 Oct 2000, 12:29 (Ref:44954)   #1
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
how do the rules in F1 allow the use of front endplates to be larger than the width of the front wing?

they all have curvey bit on the sides of the endplates to get the air over the wheels.

the width of the wing is in a rule. (1.3m???)
so the endplates must add 200mm to this, so y arent they all illegal?

also, wot is the thinking behind having a 90deg bend in the bottom of the endplate?
small ground effect? y dont they have huge flaps is this is legal?
Old 26 Oct 2000, 14:49 (Ref:44993)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely Mr. Jonathan Bauer would not miss something like that!!

There's no specific rule for the front wings (or any other wing). The Technical Regulations uses the word "bodywork" instead and says that all bodywork width ahead of rear wheel center line must not exceed 140cm (whereas the car's general width including wheels in straight ahead position must not exceed 180 cm)
Old 27 Oct 2000, 11:17 (Ref:45165)   #3
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The rules also mention the number of elements, the space allowed for the front wing, and areas it is not allowed to be within. But the design other than that is free.
Old 27 Oct 2000, 12:40 (Ref:45184)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't find something related to the number of elements or the space allowed for the front wing, Elephino (not 100% sure I searched well). There are rules regarding to "area occupied when projected on a perpendicular plane..." (gosh, I love to read Technical Regulations, you shall see my sketches ), but for the "bodywork behind the rear wheels center-line" (again, the word wing is not used) and since the next season the rear wing will have a maximum of to three elements (previously not restricted. I haven't seen the new technical regulations yet)

There is a rule that says "the front bodywork more than 25 cm from the center line of the car must be no less than 5cm and no more than 25cm above the reference plane. There were some rumors this year like the front wing will be lifted with a certain amount, but apparently they did not agree on this one.
Old 27 Oct 2000, 22:28 (Ref:45285)   #5
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so your saying if the teams got rid of the bits on the outside of the endplates, making them narrower,
they could make the aerofoil wider?

Old 28 Oct 2000, 06:16 (Ref:45334)   #6
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe the number of elements is for the rear wing only. I seem to recall something about allowing only one angled element (or similar) on the front wing.

Area occupied etc is the space allowed in technical terms and more specific than the "fit in a box" that most touring car specs use.

THR, if they got rid of those bits, then they could move the end plates outwards to the maximum dimensions but it obviously is better for the aerodynamics that the teams want not to do that. And possibly (hoping my memory is ok here) it allows them to add more aerofoils, which I know BAR have an extra one on the outside of the end plate.

There are many many regulations in regards to what is legal and illegal on F1 cars and they change from year to year, just makes it more interesting for the fans to try to keep up.