Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 29 Oct 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1446749)   #51
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quite right Al.... I do all our family Tesco shopping and this year I saved all my tokens up, bought 4x their face value in Buy-a-gift.com tokens, and used them to buy me and Falcemob a Single Seater Track Experience on the infield course at Rockingham Motorspeedway. Anyone still want to call ClubCards girlie??

Back to the topic though. I use my local Tesco LRP in my old Jaguar and its been perfectly happy, but its a bit pricey (97.9p/ltr last time I was there). I'm told that my next nearest Tesco (Roneo Corner) has the new 99RON stuff, but I haven't checked out the price yet. Anyone been there?

PS I also use £30 in club card tokens to buy £120 of Nationwide Autocentre tokens once a year to get my road car serviced, and another £12 in club card tokens for my annual subscription to TopGear Magazine
Old 29 Oct 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1446753)   #52
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
It's 93p in Watford but Watford has some of the cheapest petrol around becuse of the competition. Just filled up me Jerry cans for next weekend nd got me 5p off with the vouchers so came in at 88p, now if only they would start doing LPG for my Chevy Blazer tow car instead of having to go up to Sainsburys and pay 38p for that.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 14:05 (Ref:1446754)   #53
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Just used my 5p off tokens to fill up my road car with LRP (its an old Jag as well) .... still cost £70 though
Old 29 Oct 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1446771)   #54
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
There is quite a difference in prices between stores, I paid 98p at Sidcup and 94p at Lakeside for derv. 99RON petrol seems the same price as derv and about 5p dearer than unleaded.
I thought LRP was being phased out or was it super unleaded?
Old 29 Oct 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1446786)   #55
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
From what I've heard Super Unleaded is very environmentally unfriendly and is being phased out for that reason, and LRP is being used less because of stuff like Optimax, so may well be phased out just due to lack of demand.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1446800)   #56
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought Optimax was "Super" unleaded.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1446842)   #57
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Oooooo.... dunno! In the small world between my ears, I thought Super Unleaded was introduced in the panic to get lead out of petrol. To keep the octane level up the manufacturers only had Benzine as an option so they used it. Then if turned out that that was even more "unfriendly" than lead so the government (unwilling to admit that they'd forced this on the manufacturers but putting the legislation too quickly) slapped a massive tax surcharge on it to stop people using it. Then the manufacturers managed to develop more friendly alternatives to keeping the octane levels up and started introducing the "new" fuels such as Optimax and Tesco 99.

However..... the small world between my ears has been know to spin all sorts of wierd and wonderful tales to explain the real world outside when factual infromation isn't available. If that's an excuse, I'm sticking to it
Old 29 Oct 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1446847)   #58
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Could be. But then the stuff they make premium unleaded from is pretty nasty anyway.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1446853)   #59
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think I posted this before but Watford is definitely one of the cheapest areas for fuel due to the competition. Tesco Superstore Fuel Stop is open 24/7 and is a simple dual carrageway 2 mile or so journey directly off junction 5 on the M1 (Follow signs for Watford then Oxhey/Bushey and you will see the store on your right, go to next roundabout and back on your self and you are there). May be useful to anyone travelling up the M1 to a meeting.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1446863)   #60
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Yes, you did.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1446899)   #61
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
Oooooo..........I thought Super Unleaded was introduced in the panic to get lead out of petrol. To keep the octane level up the manufacturers only had Benzine as an option so they used it...................
I was under the impression that all unleaded contained Benzine and is just as dodgy as the old leaded petrol, just dodgy in a different way and has lots of carcinogens, some trade off we were given eh!
Old 29 Oct 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1446913)   #62
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
For anyone that can understand it, here is a table of the makeup of 99RON petrol supplied to Tesco.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1446949)   #63
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No Tolulene in there then (yet: ) Oh and sorry to repeat myself, its an age thing thing you know.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1446955)   #64
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
They were correct to rid the world of tolouene which is the liquified lead stuff (I think) but because we'd got used to powerful fuels we couldn't go back to the old 1.5 star stuff of the 30/40's and so they are now using the "aromatics" that were the by-product of refining and therefore "waste", to make the current high RON fuels.

Nasty? Give it a few years.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 19:07 (Ref:1446965)   #65
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
What is Toluene what nasty things can it do?
Old 29 Oct 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1446972)   #66
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
It is a paint thinner I believe and an old racers trick Avgas, bit of Tolulene and pump gas and you have a high octane mix with the same specific gravity. (So I havr read but do know someone who used it!)
Old 29 Oct 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1446974)   #67
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It also formed a big part of a major petrol boosting product.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1446985)   #68
bucko
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
bucko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i presume tescos i s better than shell does any one know what bp super unleaded is ....... just i use the necter pionts !!
Old 29 Oct 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1446991)   #69
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I thought the only problem with it was that if you put three nitrous injectors in your inlet manifold, then use toluene in your fuel..... its bye-bye engine.... and car..... and local area....
Old 29 Oct 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1447051)   #70
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Precautions and Metabolism
Inhaling of toluene fumes can be intoxicating, but in larger doses nausea-inducing. Chronic or frequent inhalation of toluene over long time periods leads to irreversible brain damage.

The toxicity of toluene can be explained mostly by its metabolism. As toluene has very low water solublity, it cannot exit the body via the normal routes: urine, feces, or sweat. It must be metabolized in order to be excreted. The methyl group of toluene is more easily oxidized by cytochrome P450 than the benzene ring. Therefore, in the metabolism of toluene, 95% gets oxidized to benzyl alcohol. The toxic metabolites are created by the remaining 5% that get ring oxidized to epoxides. Most of the epoxides become glutathione conjugated. However, the few that do not will severely damage cells.

Toluene is mainly excreted as benzoic acid and hippuric acid both formed by metabolism of benzyl alcohol.

So now you know
Old 29 Oct 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1447062)   #71
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Chronic or frequent inhalation of toluene over long time periods leads to irreversible brain damage.
You are right, my mate who used it is in fact quite mad
Old 30 Oct 2005, 00:05 (Ref:1447134)   #72
johnw
Veteran

England
Not Len Colley by any chance Al?
Old 30 Oct 2005, 06:41 (Ref:1447267)   #73
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No Len has always been been like that

This guy drove a Camaro like mine, thats all I am saying!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 23:36 (Ref:1450945)   #74
alf
Racer

alf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw
Precautions and Metabolism
Inhaling of toluene fumes can be intoxicating, but in larger doses nausea-inducing. Chronic or frequent inhalation of toluene over long time periods leads to irreversible brain damage.

The toxicity of toluene can be explained mostly by its metabolism. As toluene has very low water solublity, it cannot exit the body via the normal routes: urine, feces, or sweat. It must be metabolized in order to be excreted. The methyl group of toluene is more easily oxidized by cytochrome P450 than the benzene ring. Therefore, in the metabolism of toluene, 95% gets oxidized to benzyl alcohol. The toxic metabolites are created by the remaining 5% that get ring oxidized to epoxides. Most of the epoxides become glutathione conjugated. However, the few that do not will severely damage cells.

Toluene is mainly excreted as benzoic acid and hippuric acid both formed by metabolism of benzyl alcohol.

So now you know
could you repeat that please!!!
Old 3 Nov 2005, 01:45 (Ref:1451003)   #75
johnw
Veteran

England
Not without a stiff drink Alf