Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 8 Sep 2018, 09:39 (Ref:3848832)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Barrie Williams

Tin top and latterly historic racer Barrie Williams passed away this morning. Fittingly announced by Marcus Pye at Goodwood.

RIP Whizzo.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3848836)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Not long ago he announced his retirement from racing. Now he’s sadly gone, but what a life. Always loved his racing. RIP indeed Whizzo
Old 8 Sep 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3848839)   #3
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Squeaker will be sorely missed.

RIP
Old 8 Sep 2018, 10:43 (Ref:3848840)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's very sad news.

In 2002, the first year of the Le Mans Classic, I was fortunate enough to go over with Willie Green (as I knew his brother quite well) and was driven from the ferry port to Le Mans by Whizzo in a Skoda Octavia VRS. It was a fun drive which included a number of roundabouts, several of which he had such fun driving round at top speed, that we did more than one lap.... It was a fun journey.

Quite a character. I'd never met him before but warmed to him straight away.

RIP Whizzo.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3848845)   #5
TonyDavies
Rookie

TonyDavies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad loss for all who knew him. I raced against him in the 1980's Shell Oils Thundersaloon series and met him at random sprints and hillclimbs.
A super fast driver but always totally fair and sporting. Off track I found him to be unfailingly helpful, genuinely enthusiastic and side-splittingly witty! A true gent. RIP Whizzo.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 11:35 (Ref:3848846)   #6
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Whizzo, you will be sadly missed.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 12:04 (Ref:3848851)   #7
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just heard this incredibly sad news. Loved chatting to him at events such as the Goodwood Revival.

Rest in Peace Barrie, you will be sorely missed by everyone in and outside motorsport.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 14:22 (Ref:3848866)   #8
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad news indeed. Barrie was an apprentice at David Brown Automotive in Huddersfield at the same time as me and spent a short time in the Aston Production unit in Farsley. It is sad that he died today because recently we have established an annual "Aston Martin Day" in Farsley when cars parade through the town centre to commemorate the time when the famous marque was built there. It so happens that event was today when 30 cars from 1930s to 2018 vintage paraded.

This was the 5th time the event has been held and on an earlier occasion when a commemorative plaque was unveilled Barrie brought one of the F1 cars to the parade, a great crowd puller. I invited him again this year but he declined for health reasons and I must now email his former colleagues with this news

RIP Barrie, a life well lived
Old 8 Sep 2018, 22:00 (Ref:3848933)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I did a number of races with him over the years and found him a tough nut on the track and a gentleman off !! Rip Barrie.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Sep 2018, 19:27 (Ref:3849252)   #10
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, very sad to hear the news about Barrie. We raced together a couple of times in the Porsche engined Ford Sierra in Thundersaloons. Always had a good laugh with him, will be sorely missed.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 20:07 (Ref:3849257)   #11
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A true enthusiast and a modest man despite the outgoing nature. RIP.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 20:12 (Ref:3849259)   #12
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1975 British GP touring car race. Whizzo in the Mazda. I f you were there you won't forget it. He missed the start in the pits and spent the race chasing the field. Flying through the Woodcote chicane in a series of two wheel launches. Never say die and total commitment. Magic.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 10:12 (Ref:3851759)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I'll raise a glass to Whizzo down one of the beach bars for his funeral today, Cheers !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Sep 2018, 07:09 (Ref:3851919)   #14
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First became aware of Barrie in the Mazda RX3 in 1975. I was following club racing for the next twenty five years and more often than not he was racing at many of the meetings I attended.
Last year I was working in Banbury and Barrie appeared a couple of times. I was lucky to be able to spend a few minutes talking to him and help him with information that he wanted.
Thanks Barrie. RIP.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 02:13 (Ref:3853698)   #15
dereklola
Racer

dereklola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knew him in the early 60's - two specific memories -

1 - when we met at a major control after a night in the Welsh Mountains on the 1964 RAC Rally - his greetings question was "How many times you been over?"
The roof panel on his Mini was replaced almost every event he did!

2 - Upon entering the 1965 Welsh Rally I was surprised to be seeded 51st - the top 50 cars were all Works or sponsored entries. Thanks Barry. He was on the seeding committee.

My job took me overseas soon after that so I never met him again. Great pity. Not only a great character but a friendly, helpful, funny one.

RIP - Derek Harling