Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Closed Thread

Old 11 May 2008, 21:24 (Ref:2199524)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Motorsport Magazines. Four decades that take up hardly any room!

http://www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/...order_form.pdf
What a great idea! I shall be ordering...

However, has anyone bought these yet? Are they as good as they sound?
Old 12 May 2008, 08:24 (Ref:2199834)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, this is just a fantastic idea.
Old 12 May 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2200025)   #3
JP Sarti
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bedford, NY
JP Sarti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was an ad in Motor Sports classifieds a couple of months back looking for a complete run, or at least some complete years pre fifties. As I've got quite a few that would qualify (and found it difficult to contemplate ever finishing a complete run) I gave the number a call. It turned out to be Motor Sport themselves (thought they could have mentioned that in the ad). Put through to someone who told me that they'd already acquired a complete run and was I looking to sell them at a 'commerciial rate'? When I said I had hoped to do that then got the response that they really didn't have any interest and that it was difficult to judge what the going rate was. It's rare for Motor Sport to p*** me off (although I'm still waiting for a replacement of my mailed and mangled March copy) but the tone did succeed this time.

I presume with complete set in hand (and maybe one that they need to seperate up to do the scanning etc.?) that futher years will be on their way.
Old 12 May 2008, 15:45 (Ref:2200239)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's absolutely brilliant. I don't have room for tons of magazines anymore and increasingly if somethings is not digital, forget it. I don't have any interest in the 50's and 60's but I'm definitely going to grab the 70's and 80's.
Old 12 May 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2200249)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very good idea.....
Old 13 May 2008, 21:34 (Ref:2201582)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Where have you been all my life?

I predict a payday splurge.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:32 (Ref:2428905)   #7
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
SPECTATORSAL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport Digital Archive

To get a free copy of the 1960-1969 Motor Sport Digital Archive if I took out a two year subscription to Motorsport was a big incentive when I saw the Motorsport stand at the 2008 Goodwood Revival meeting. I am bitterly disappointed with the product though! What I have viewed is of poor quality - like a bad photocopy & I find it very slow to navigate! Having spoken to a friend they have said the self same thing! Are we doing something wrong/should it really be like this?!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2429210)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Outstanding. This surely has to be a must for all?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 22:43 (Ref:2429388)   #9
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
Outstanding. This surely has to be a must for all?
Sorry - not sure I agree with you! Which edition have you got? Is the quality really good/legible? I can hardly read the text this end!! It looks nothing like the inside of the box portrays it might do! Great idea..just not what I'd expected!! Perhaps I need new glasses or a new PC?!
Old 1 Apr 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2430439)   #10
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport archives

I have the 1970's version and am a little disappointed. Having run a digitisation project at work covering about 250,000 pages I appreciate the problems. The resolution is good enough to read, but I'm surprised that they didn't unbind the magazines before scanning (it makes it much easier). They do look like a photocopy, but at £40 for 120 copies (i.e. 10 years) I still consider them as good value. The
searching could be better, I am often sent to the wrong page, but I am thankful that they have actually taken the bother to digitise back to 1924.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 1 Apr 2009, 16:18 (Ref:2430687)   #11
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by iucrmh View Post
I have the 1970's version and am a little disappointed. Having run a digitisation project at work covering about 250,000 pages I appreciate the problems. The resolution is good enough to read, but I'm surprised that they didn't unbind the magazines before scanning (it makes it much easier). They do look like a photocopy, but at £40 for 120 copies (i.e. 10 years) I still consider them as good value. The
searching could be better, I am often sent to the wrong page, but I am thankful that they have actually taken the bother to digitise back to 1924.

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks for this feedback Mike. I agree that to some extent they are good value for money but if I'd paid out £40 & not got a free one because I'd taken out a two year subsription then I'd more than likely be asking for a full refund! I have contacted Motorsport magazine to air my opinion & they tell me : "There is an element of compromise with the Digital Archive. The pages are scanned from the original magazines, so the print quality is only as good as the print at the time, and this is not as good as we expect now. Also the magazines have suffered a little in 40 or 50 years reducing the quality further. We have also scanned these at a quality that we believe is readable, but this is not very high quality as this could be a security problem. Your question about the speed is linked to the quality. The higher the quality, the larger the size of the files and the slower it will run. Again this is a balance that we have to make, we could end up with more discs per decade at a higher cost. I guess the speed also depends on your computer"
Old 12 Apr 2010, 13:05 (Ref:2671388)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anybody know if Motorsport have released or plan on releasing any earlier editions of this? Apparently my great Grandfather was mentioned in Motorsport quite a bit in the 30s and 40s and I'd love to get the chance to see this if possible. We have quite a few of his old photos and trophies and things but interested to see any write ups too.

[edit] Having found the right number for Motorsport [the one on that ad is now out of date, if anybody needs it the number is all the same bar the last 4 digits which are now 8484] I've found they have released more. Waiting for them to get back to me with more info, but at the moment I know they've released a DVD for £39.99 of 1924 - 1949.

Last edited by Suze; 12 Apr 2010 at 13:12.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2671517)   #13
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Going off topic slightly, we bought around 20 Motorsport magazines at a carboot sale for £4 yesterday, they range from 1980 to 1992. It's fascinating reading.

So far of note is that even as "late" as December 1992 there are no internet addresses at all. Plus, my absolute favourite, is a description of Martin Donelly returning to test a single seater following his previous crash and Motorsport using the phrase that he is unable to "actuate the clutch" - when was the last time Autosport used the phrase "actuate the clutch"
Old 12 Jul 2010, 17:35 (Ref:2725605)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I have a box full of Motorsport Magazines going spare if anyone wants them? If I do not hear by Wednesday that someone wants them (must be collected from Woking) then they'll be going in the back of the recycling truck when it calls.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2725722)   #15
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I have a box full of Motorsport Magazines going spare if anyone wants them? If I do not hear by Wednesday that someone wants them (must be collected from Woking) then they'll be going in the back of the recycling truck when it calls.
Surely Ebay them Craig? Even if you give the money to charity? Say collection only then you dont have the boxing or carriage hassles.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 21:18 (Ref:2725730)   #16
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Not really worth anything and eBay is such an arseache these days it's really not worth the hassle. T
Old 17 Jul 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2728155)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
They've now gone to a new home.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 19:41 (Ref:2730795)   #18
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Talking of Motor sport mags.

I wonder if anyone has, or knows where I might get a collection of MOTORING NEWS Newspapers? Particularly the seventies. I let my collection disappear many years ago, and would like to get a few again.
Any ideas?
Old 20 Jan 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3877300)   #19
GMiranda
Rookie

GMiranda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone is yet interested on the MotorSport DVD's? I have three to sell
Old 25 Feb 2019, 23:43 (Ref:3886626)   #20
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid