Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 15 Dec 2019, 19:33 (Ref:3946885)   #6151
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Looks like a stylized "G" little bit like Ginetta. May be G for Gauntlett enterprises?
Old 15 Dec 2019, 19:38 (Ref:3946886)   #6152
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Tata?
Old 15 Dec 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3946891)   #6153
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
No Gerard, Bob has already told us what it is.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/digita...os/29610238414
Old 16 Dec 2019, 02:10 (Ref:3946921)   #6154
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Nowadays agriculture use modern technology massively. You can record a lot of data in the GPS like stones or rocks to avoid damages to the machines. GPS for this use are ultra accurate much more than the ones we use.
Drones are used to "read" the fields and help putting fertilizer only where and when needed. Still you need a human for those inputs…
A farmer friend of mine that moved over to Canada years ago has cereal crops on massive plains that seem to stretch forever. The "huge" combines that he uses for harvesting are completely controlled by satellite navigation and all he does is sit in it keeping an eye on things and play about filming with his drone without any steering input from him.
The lines left on the ground filmed from the drones are absolutely dead strait for miles !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Dec 2019, 03:00 (Ref:3946928)   #6155
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
A farmer friend of mine that moved over to Canada years ago has cereal crops on massive plains that seem to stretch forever. The "huge" combines that he uses for harvesting are completely controlled by satellite navigation and all he does is sit in it keeping an eye on things and play about filming with his drone without any steering input from him.
The lines left on the ground filmed from the drones are absolutely dead strait for miles !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMM9a0M23HY

GPS farming in UK.

Description starts at about 9:15 in.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 06:11 (Ref:3946934)   #6156
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Yup, being a farmer’s son and still having friends in the community it’s obviously a (cliché) different world nowadays!

If anyone’s watched a ‘vintage’ ploughing match, it’s quite a skill to keep in a straight line without any tech help. What I didn’t realise until working for a plough importer many years ago was that the manufacturer made special ploughs for the ‘sport’.......
Old 16 Dec 2019, 06:25 (Ref:3946935)   #6157
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Re the badge… Mon Ami Robert, did you really spot the badge from the video or you're living in Hungerford area? Should call you hawk eye…
Old 16 Dec 2019, 08:06 (Ref:3946939)   #6158
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I thought it looked like a BRDC badge, Bob, but it was too blurred to say for certain! Definitely not Snetterton Motor Racing Club.....
As I am not a BRDC member, I surprised myself by instantly thinking it was their badge, and a quick google clinched it. Anyway it is on a D-Type.

And that is Ludovich Lindsay at the wheel I suspect.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 08:30 (Ref:3946940)   #6159
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Facebook link says its Richard Gauntlett but its not really important.
Jaguar transportation for Christmas trees already famous: https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/6481...e-de-noel-1957
Old 16 Dec 2019, 11:18 (Ref:3946951)   #6160
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMM9a0M23HY

GPS farming in UK.

Description starts at about 9:15 in.
My old man (RIP) who died a few years back aged 101 worked on farms from 14 years of age and used to tell us about ploughing with horses and "hand casting" seed. He still worked in farming until the late 60s so saw a lot of changes from the late 20s early 30s. I always remember him enthusing about a new tractor that the farmer had bought in the early 50s that had a "self starter" instead of cranking it up in the morning and turning the fuel over from petrol to TVO.
He would be completely amazed at todays farming where one man can do all that work compared with him and his many co-workers back then !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Dec 2019, 11:49 (Ref:3946953)   #6161
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Our family first tractor (that replaced the horse my mother was in charge of) was a Fordson nicknamed ‘Smokey Joe’, and complete with iron wheels. In the early 50s it was replaced by a new B.M.B President, which was far more advanced and was started on petrol before the operator changed over to TVO. As an aside, the registration number it had is still in the family, now on my car..... The tractor is still around as well.

Never heard of BMB?- http://tractordata.co.uk/bmb/
Old 16 Dec 2019, 12:14 (Ref:3946956)   #6162
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If anyone’s watched a ‘vintage’ ploughing match, it’s quite a skill to keep in a straight line without any tech help. What I didn’t realise until working for a plough importer many years ago was that the manufacturer made special ploughs for the ‘sport’.......
There's a ploughing match near us every year with different classes for different ages of tractor (as well as a horse category). I didn't realise how competitive it gets - they were out there measuring things with rulers!
Old 16 Dec 2019, 12:34 (Ref:3946959)   #6163
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
There's a ploughing match near us every year with different classes for different ages of tractor (as well as a horse category). I didn't realise how competitive it gets - they were out there measuring things with rulers!
Yup, it’s serious sport for the competitors! Different classes for types of plough as well....

Anyone that is interested in the old Spa circuit (that you can still drive as it is normal road), on the F1 forum there are a couple of interesting videos. First from 1962, Lucien Bianchi in a DB4 Zagato describing the circuit as he drives round.... (Post 17 in the thread)

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...44#post3946944
Old 16 Dec 2019, 15:32 (Ref:3946989)   #6164
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Did you notice the date that thread was started? But yes a great piece of history.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 17:40 (Ref:3947007)   #6165
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re the picture of the BRDC badge in Post 6149, has any one noticed that it has the name Mackay Fraser & the No. 802 on it. If this was issued to Herbert Mackay-Fraser what did he do to become a BRDC member? One start in a French GP in a P25 BRM and a retirement would not qualify him to be a member. He hardly set the world on fire in sports cars. So is there another Mackay Fraser or how did he become a BRDC member.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3947015)   #6166
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Good question. You’ll have to put your Sherlock Holmes deerstalker on! Nothing to do with that but I see the ‘Aston Martin Autosport BRDC’ award winner gets membership as part of the prize.....
Old 16 Dec 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3947016)   #6167
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Good question. You’ll have to put your Sherlock Holmes deerstalker on! Nothing to do with that but I see the ‘Aston Martin Autosport BRDC’ award winner gets membership as part of the prize.....
From Motor Sport/

Herbert MacKay-Fraser was a popular and jovial American whose racing career in Europe was tragically short.
Upbringing and early racing career
Born on his father’s Brazilian coffee plantation, he had already been a Wyoming rancher before discovering motor racing relatively late on. That was having moved to California where he began to race a Jaguar XK120 and Ferrari 750 Monza sports car in SCCA races.
"Mac" raced in Brazil for a short time before moving to London to further his ambitions in the sport. It was during 1956 that he started to attract attention. He shared Ivor Bueb’s Lotus 11-Climax in that year’s Reims 12 Hours and they led before stripping second and third gears to retire.
That performance established the American and earned a works drive for the Le Mans 24 Hours. He shared Colin Chapman’s Lotus 11-Climax but again retired late in the race.
Works Lotus driver and Grand Prix debut
A fulltime Lotus driver in 1957, he won the 1100cc class at Le Mans and began racing a Lotus 12-Climax in Formula 2 events. Third place in the Lavant Cup was lost when he crashed at Goodwood’s chicane but he finished second to Jack Brabham at Brands Hatch.
With Lotus a year away from graduating to Formula 1, MacKay-Fraser made his Grand Prix debut in a BRM P25 at the 1957 French GP. He qualified in 12th position at Rouen-les-Essarts and ran sixth during the early laps before his engine failed. His was a promising bow but he was killed just a week later when his streamlined Lotus 11-Climax crashed at high speed during the F2 Coupe Internationale de Vitesse at Reims.

Not too Shabby RBS!
Old 16 Dec 2019, 19:03 (Ref:3947018)   #6168
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not Shabby agreed but hardly BRDC qualifying performance is it.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 19:13 (Ref:3947019)   #6169
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Not Shabby agreed but hardly BRDC qualifying performance is it.
I seem to recall that winning an International race of over 100 miles qualified, if so a class win at Le Mans aught to fill the bill. However, a lot of Saloon car drivers are members and few of them have competed in a race more that 30 odd miles.

Any way RB Mac Fraser was well thought of by us lads back in the 50's so he was not a complete unknown.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 19:40 (Ref:3947021)   #6170
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yet again tenths educates! Sadly we’ll never know how successful he could have become. Coincidentally I did a bit of research on the D Type that started the badge query, curious as to who owns it now. Seems the chassis number has caused some controversy in the past.....
Old 16 Dec 2019, 20:37 (Ref:3947031)   #6171
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
Yet again tenths educates! Sadly we’ll never know how successful he could have become. Coincidentally I did a bit of research on the D Type that started the badge query, curious as to who owns it now. Seems the chassis number has caused some controversy in the past.....
I was also looking at the history of this car but could only find modern information, left me wondering on its origins!
Old 16 Dec 2019, 22:07 (Ref:3947042)   #6172
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
I was also looking at the history of this car but could only find modern information, left me wondering on its origins!
Possibly a "nut and bolt" restoration, meaning someone supplied a nut and bolt from the original
Old 17 Dec 2019, 06:31 (Ref:3947100)   #6173
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Possibly a "nut and bolt" restoration, meaning someone supplied a nut and bolt from the original
Well, suggestion from the ever reliable internet is that the car built with that XKD # never left the factory in one piece, but was broken for spares. Many moons later it came up for sale complete, but then someone else claimed to have the chassis / tub with that XKD number. Then it turned out that another car was in circulation also with the same number! That was later dismissed as a replica (or con ). Conclusion is that the car pictured is a genuine D Type, but like many old race cars, not necessarily consisting now of all the parts it was originally built with!
Old 17 Dec 2019, 06:39 (Ref:3947101)   #6174
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
At least the Christmas tree looks authentic…
Now we have a good story about the badge owner, how this one landed on bauble's computer? Or table.
Old 17 Dec 2019, 07:26 (Ref:3947103)   #6175
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
At least the Christmas tree looks authentic…
Now we have a good story about the badge owner, how this one landed on bauble's computer? Or table.
There’s an awful lot of replica Xmas trees about.... Buyer beware!