Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jan 2021, 16:21 (Ref:4029036)   #1851
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I don’t object to someone taking money out a business they founded and ran. Obviously they need funds to pay for their life.

But to deny it seems a bit silly and childish.
Thing is, yes technically you can read that from the quote, but to do so misses the point. We all know what it meant and they aren’t denying anything really.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 16:50 (Ref:4029050)   #1852
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
for me as an outsider watching the sport for decades, i havent seen anything to suggest that SFW took more from F1 then he contributed to it.

personally i wish there were more SFW's in the sport.

So do I. A real racer to the end, who cared more about success than money
Old 14 Jan 2021, 17:08 (Ref:4029056)   #1853
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So do I. A real racer to the end, who cared more about success than money
Indeed entirely proper and was a team to be reckoned with when Sir Frank and Patrick were in charge
Old 14 Jan 2021, 18:43 (Ref:4029082)   #1854
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I don’t object to someone taking money out a business they founded and ran. Obviously they need funds to pay for their life.

I think we need to put this into the circles that team owners live and mix in. CW is not meaning that SFW didn't 'earn' any money out of Williams IMO, I think she means that Williams didn't live the multi millionaire lifestyle with superyachts and Ferraris - SFW did have a private jet at one time and sold it to invest more in the team. In effect for the Williams family, the 'pot' was the team and it would have run dry without investors or buyers.

Sure, they will all have nice houses and trappings over and above us ordinary mortals, but I doubt any of them have lived extravagantly.

I think that is was Claire means by those comments.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 18:46 (Ref:4029084)   #1855
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Obviously money to live.

Whatever, I believe the sentiment that Frank’s priority was more for the team than his personal bank account is correct.

Claire’s priority seems to be more to look after her family. Fair enough too.

And we get to judge this and pick at what they say on the internet. We’re all maximizing our priorities. Everyone wins.
I believe part of the reason for the floatation was that PH could retire and exit with his funds and it also released funds for SFW's long term care as required.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 18:48 (Ref:4029085)   #1856
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I think we need to put this into the circles that team owners live and mix in. CW is not meaning that SFW didn't 'earn' any money out of Williams IMO, I think she means that Williams didn't live the multi millionaire lifestyle with superyachts and Ferraris - SFW did have a private jet at one time and sold it to invest more in the team. In effect for the Williams family, the 'pot' was the team and it would have run dry without investors or buyers.

Sure, they will all have nice houses and trappings over and above us ordinary mortals, but I doubt any of them have lived extravagantly.

Even with new sponsors coming and going it did run dry.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 18:57 (Ref:4029090)   #1857
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

exactly.

Mallya would be an example of the other way to approach it...squandered a family fortune on himself and those ridiculously stupid haircuts of his!
Old 14 Jan 2021, 19:21 (Ref:4029097)   #1858
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
I believe part of the reason for the floatation was that PH could retire and exit with his funds and it also released funds for SFW's long term care as required.
Exactly.

They floated off part of the company on the Borse specifically to take millions out of the value of the business!
Old 22 Jan 2021, 14:03 (Ref:4030661)   #1859
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Jenson Button returns to Team Willy

I've just read on the Autosport website that Jenson Button has signed a 'multi-year agreement with the team to become a senior advisor'. Quite what such a role entails I have no idea so will be interested to see what changes are made that are attributed to his input.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 15:09 (Ref:4030687)   #1860
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Williams have done it in the past. They had Wurz in an advisory role once. Good to have JB on board, he can hopefully pass on his experience to the drivers and help the team grow
Old 22 Jan 2021, 16:02 (Ref:4030703)   #1861
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I've just read on the Autosport website that Jenson Button has signed a 'multi-year agreement with the team to become a senior advisor'. Quite what such a role entails I have no idea so will be interested to see what changes are made that are attributed to his input.
yeah sounds interesting for sure. sort of like a Lauda or Prost role was my first thought although those two had more input/experience on the business side of things.

as S Griffin said, a Wurz type role may be the better comparison.

either way, i agree, very good addition.
Old 23 Jan 2021, 00:42 (Ref:4030768)   #1862
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Why do people make such stupid statements, especially when it takes absolutely no effort to show that he was hardly living the life of a pauper, fair enough, but seriously why lie about it.

https://www.williamsdb.com/inholmes/
Old 23 Jan 2021, 01:09 (Ref:4030773)   #1863
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think they do it so that people on the internet can be clever by not trying to understand the point.
Old 23 Jan 2021, 01:34 (Ref:4030776)   #1864
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I think they do it so that people on the internet can be clever by not trying to understand the point.
So would you like to explain the point to those of us who are deliberately not seeing the point about how much you have made from a business?

Last edited by wnut; 23 Jan 2021 at 01:39.
Old 23 Jan 2021, 08:15 (Ref:4030792)   #1865
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Why do people make such stupid statements, especially when it takes absolutely no effort to show that he was hardly living the life of a pauper, fair enough, but seriously why lie about it.

https://www.williamsdb.com/inholmes/
Exactly, probably been paying for for the running of it from his paper round. And definitely not his F1 team.

Sadly she quickly got a solid reputation for making stupid comments.
Old 23 Jan 2021, 16:07 (Ref:4030834)   #1866
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
So would you like to explain the point to those of us who are deliberately not seeing the point about how much you have made from a business?
Frank’s priority was always the team not making millions from it.

But he had a nice house, obviously. And was fortunate that he could support himself and medical needs to a high standard. Obviously.
Old 23 Jan 2021, 16:12 (Ref:4030835)   #1867
S griffin
Veteran

Frank was always one to get his priorities right. Always would rather spend their budget on the car and made sure him and his family didn’t have to dip into their own pocket
Old 24 Jan 2021, 02:53 (Ref:4030870)   #1868
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Jenson Button signs for Williams!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...-his-f1-return

Last edited by Adam43; 25 Jan 2021 at 01:59. Reason: Tipo
Old 25 Jan 2021, 00:39 (Ref:4031020)   #1869
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Whenever I think of Button and Williams, I then think "What was the issue with Marc Hynes", to not offer him a go in 2000?
Old 25 Jan 2021, 07:00 (Ref:4031057)   #1870
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
Whenever I think of Button and Williams, I then think "What was the issue with Marc Hynes", to not offer him a go in 2000?
Button was marked out before the start of the F3 season and 1999 was only his second year in cars.

Hynes was in his fifth season in cars.
Old 25 Jan 2021, 09:07 (Ref:4031068)   #1871
S griffin
Veteran

Hynes was talented though, and no doubt deserved more than he got. Too often he was left on the sidelines. He didn't even get a proper shot at F3000 for example
Old 27 Jan 2021, 01:15 (Ref:4031394)   #1872
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Hynes was talented though, and no doubt deserved more than he got. Too often he was left on the sidelines. He didn't even get a proper shot at F3000 for example
Dont go telling us that motorsport isnt a meritocracy....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Jan 2021, 10:17 (Ref:4031444)   #1873
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Button was marked out before the start of the F3 season and 1999 was only his second year in cars.

Hynes was in his fifth season in cars.
Yes, that's right.

Button was the fford champ, and I now do remember there was as sense of expectation around him.

It's kind of interesting. BF3 was a pretty good comp on its own right. So if you win it, you're ready for at least in mid-back end F1 team. Williams were 3rd in the wcc in 2000, but they were miles off like a midfield team. Best of the rest.

Hynes probably would've been better than Button at Williams and the first year at Benetton. Even if maybe he wouldn't have been capable of winning an F1 championship.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 13:28 (Ref:4031484)   #1874
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post

Hynes probably would've been better than Button at Williams and the first year at Benetton. Even if maybe he wouldn't have been capable of winning an F1 championship.
How do you reach that conclusion? Not arguing, just looking for the logic underlying it.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 17:02 (Ref:4031518)   #1875
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
How do you reach that conclusion? Not arguing, just looking for the logic underlying it.
I can see some logic - although I would have said possibly, as opposed to probably.

The logic (I think) is that in the 1999 British Formula Three Championship - Hynes finished comfortably ahead of Button. So arguably, Hynes may have performed better than Button in 2000 - but whether he could have gone on to have the success of Button is debatable.