Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:42 (Ref:914991)   #76
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
if he's not careful he'll break something.
Nah, he's experienced enough
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:52 (Ref:915002)   #77
f1truestory
Racer

f1truestory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Redblurr
72nd win but by the look of this photo it looks like his first - what character.
Yea, but some people are good at acting, some are not.

I think michael is a good actor for sure, and he will keep acting as this season is tough to win the champsionship.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:53 (Ref:915003)   #78
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it is hard to tell from this angle but, if you look at this image from 2000, it appears he has more zest and enthusiasm now. Take the black board background as a measure of jumping height - he jumps higher in 04
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:55 (Ref:915006)   #79
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthopps
He was blocking him, your allowed to make one move (per overtaking manouvere) to block an opponent: tough but fair.
I disagree. Taking that to its extremem, you could do you move as someone comes alongside and then drive them right off the track. The 'one-move rule' is a guide really and, as Nigel Roebuck has said, shouldn't be taken too literally. The FIA needs to crack down on moves like the one Webber made on Alonso.

Other than that, I think Webber's weekend perfromance was pretty good. They said on ITV that the reason he wasn't very quick after hids troubles was that he kept getting blue flags and having to back off. Once clear, his lap times, apparently, picked up.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Quote:"we got a good hint of how hard Schu was pushing to keep JPM at bay."

Interesting.. i was just wondering to myself if Michael was not attempting a "domination race" like what he did in AGP (after seeing the many remarks of "another boring Ferrari win"), by just running and keeping a sufficient gap to JPM. He did seem to allow JPM to close up in the middle sector of each stint, but just open the gap when pit-stop time comes.
I don't thiink that even Michael would do that. I think the tyre situation created the sea-sawing and JPM pushed Schuey pretty much all the way. Good drive from Montoya, but Schuey looked incredible all weekend.

Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Anyone think he'll make it to 100 wins?
I don't, but then there was a time when I didn't think he'd reach Senna's 65 poles either....
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:58 (Ref:915007)   #80
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good performance from Button too. With David Richards' support, Button and BAR could get better and better.

McLaren weren't great, but at least Kimi was closer to the pace than in Melbourne. They'll get there, but probably not in time to salvage a championship challenge this year.

The Renault performance was strange. Clearly they have pace, but putting that amount of fuel in for the latter part of the race was clearly an error.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 13:17 (Ref:915033)   #81
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1truestory
I believe that his joy is sincere, no acting.

Redblurr, yeah, his performance was some 10 cm below his record... he's definitelly getting old

Last edited by Red; 22 Mar 2004 at 13:17.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 13:43 (Ref:915067)   #82
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
He believes he is being beaten by another car, not another driver. Hope he never finds out the truth to that question. [/B]
lol .. you got me laughing with this one .. so true

Ciao Marco
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:30 (Ref:915148)   #83
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"Yea, but some people are good at acting, some are not.I think michael is a good actor for sure, and he will keep acting as this season is tough to win the champsionship."

Yeah right..at least it sure beats sulking on the podium. The thing is, MS isn't showing a happy face on the podium, even behind it and in the stewards room, he was a happy chap. And post Australia, he couldn't stop his joy the moment he's out of the car.

If anything, Michael enjoys racing probably more than anybody else on the grid.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 16:34 (Ref:915322)   #84
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he enjoys winning more than any other driver on the grid. It's always struck me that the racing is a means to an end for him. Why do I say that? Well he appears to get the same amount of pleasure from a win where he's strolled home at 3/4 speed with Rubens covering his back as he does from one he really has to fight for.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 18:41 (Ref:915485)   #85
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think that racing is the means to the end of winning and there's nothing wrong with that. But the joy of just racing (and not winning) is the concept of sportsmanship. Different things in the context of this thread.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 19:30 (Ref:915540)   #86
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yet again I think it is fair to say that he made it look easy. When the car leads from start to finish it's easy to assume that the package was dominant for technical reasons, and it's easy to ignore the sheer quality necessary to maintain pace and composure for an entire race. The lack of faults on the part of the driver and team is less easy to appreciate than, for example, a struggle from the back of the grid, or the overcoming of a silly mistake earlier in the race - but if you see how Rubens' race panned-out you see that the Ferrari wasn't necessarily the de-facto race winning drive.

To use the same yardstick Montoya and Button both excelled to greater degree, since they both made their respective team-mates look relatively worse, but the quality of the preparation and the willingness to take a risk with the softer tyre are all part of the race weekend.

I have a hunch that Williams will get the difference back in the next race, but to do so they absolutely must learn a lesson from the top to bottom quality of the Ferrari team, and of Schumacher in particular. BTW, I sincerely hope they do because one more hot race won for MS will have even me wondering if the season is all over.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 20:27 (Ref:915627)   #87
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well..i'd just prefer to see a happy man on the podium than one who sulks.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 20:32 (Ref:915630)   #88
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by f1truestory

I think michael is a good actor for sure, and he will keep acting as this season is tough to win the champsionship.
acting Geeezz - half that grid could not jump that high after a race
Old 22 Mar 2004, 20:40 (Ref:915641)   #89
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think he acts at all with his happiness.

There was a shot just before they went onto the podium and Schuey was excitable to say the least....definitely genuine.

However I detest the constant pointing and thumbs up on the podium. Grrr......it is rather tedious after 72 repeats!
Old 22 Mar 2004, 20:52 (Ref:915659)   #90
Gt_R
Veteran

Haha..you know...i would be at a lost too of what new stuff i could do on the top step of the podium for the 72nd time... Life's hard!
Old 22 Mar 2004, 21:00 (Ref:915667)   #91
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
maybe he could do the Moonwalk
Old 22 Mar 2004, 21:37 (Ref:915712)   #92
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that I'd like to see!
Old 22 Mar 2004, 21:52 (Ref:915734)   #93
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
yeah that would wind a few up lol
Old 23 Mar 2004, 02:44 (Ref:915966)   #94
Panzer
Racer

Panzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael was fantastic again, great drive by Button.