Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Aug 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2938523)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Villeneuve sticking his nose in it again...

Now Kimi's '07 title wasn't deserved. I'm fairly sure there hasn't been an undeserving World Champion, except, dare I say, Villeneuve...?

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 11 Aug 2011, 15:26 (Ref:2938538)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Drivers always need a certain amount of 'good luck' to win any championship. In fact, if a team could harness the power of 'luck' they would win every time. Villeneuve, himself, was 'lucky' to win the 1997 Hungarian GP, due to the 'bad luck' of another driver.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 16:21 (Ref:2938546)   #3
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah I just saw this. Villeneuve sticking his nose in again. Okay some luck is involved in winning a championship, but Kimi has had his share of bad luck. How many times did his McLaren break down in 2005? He might have had two, possibly three titles. How many times did this guy win at Spa? Yes, he got inconsistent(especially in 2008), but hey Mr. Villeneuve where were you after 1997?

I can imagine Kimi's response to this:-

Reporter : "Kimi, have you heard what Jacques Villeneuve said about you being lucky to win a F1 title?"

Kimi : "No, I was busy taking a sh*t!"

Old 11 Aug 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2938659)   #4
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Please note I changed my avatar before this came up!

The only time I ever respected JV was when he nearly won his first GP. He is a pale shadow of his great father and I'm sure that bugs him.

When he made those remarks about Kimi he was in Brazil after a race there and he was trying to get some publicity from the locals. Pathetic.

He should leave the controversial comments to someone like Niki Lauda, who won three world titles, two of them after nearly losing his life to the sport.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2938673)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
perhaps someone's looking for a pundit job from a large tv corporation that recently scored the rights to formula 1

someone should tell him being the new eddie jordan isn't something to aspire to though
Old 11 Aug 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2938676)   #6
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dear Jacques

Pole Positions

Me: 16
You: 11

Fastest laps

Me: 35
You: 9

Wins

Me: 18
You: 11

LOL

Regards

Kimi

Old 11 Aug 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2938688)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Isn't it about time JV announced another comeback?....
Old 11 Aug 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2938740)   #8
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that what he calls it when he crashes into everyone at the Montreal Nascar race ??
Old 12 Aug 2011, 01:09 (Ref:2938758)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Give it a rest Jacques...
Old 12 Aug 2011, 01:12 (Ref:2938760)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Where's Eddie Irvine when you need him most?
Old 12 Aug 2011, 04:27 (Ref:2938783)   #11
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Oh how I've missed the JV threads
Old 12 Aug 2011, 06:33 (Ref:2938792)   #12
Adri_tifosi
Veteran

Spain
Jerez
Adri_tifosi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
1+
Old 12 Aug 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2938813)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There has only been one truly undeserved world title winner in all the years I've been watching F1.

Step forward Jacques Villeneuve.

I guess it was too much to hope he'd step out of the limelight and finally stop being such a grave insult to the memory of his father.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 08:19 (Ref:2938816)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But if you think about it, sponsors have been ignoring him in droves pretty much since he left F1.

Always stories of ChampCar comebacks, or something in NASCAR, or he even reckoned on coming down here to race V8Supercar.

But the dollars have never flocked to the brand name.

Articles like this one kinda suggest why...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Aug 2011, 09:52 (Ref:2938851)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Drivers always need a certain amount of 'good luck' to win any championship. In fact, if a team could harness the power of 'luck' they would win every time. Villeneuve, himself, was 'lucky' to win the 1997 Hungarian GP, due to the 'bad luck' of another driver.
I think that JV can consider himself "lucky" that Williams decided to replace Damon with Frentzen because i'm convinced that Damon would have beaten JV to the 1997 title as well.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 10:53 (Ref:2938863)   #16
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I think that JV can consider himself "lucky" that Williams decided to replace Damon with Frentzen because i'm convinced that Damon would have beaten JV to the 1997 title as well.
Yes. He's lucky Frentzen didn't beat him. Unfortunately for Frentzen he wasn't good until he left Williams. I don't rate Villenueve and I am beyond annoyed by comeback speculation. Now I think it's just funny. In fairness I would point out he has no control over who his dad is and how good he was. I don't think it's fair to criticize the poor guy for having an incredibly gifted and mythical father. All other criticisms are fair and if he has insecurities about his father, he should keep them to himself (and his therapist).
Old 12 Aug 2011, 11:43 (Ref:2938876)   #17
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OMG, I just read the full article... Felipe should have won the WDC in '07? I’m seriously surprised that someone who says something that stupid can tie their own shoes, let alone drive a racecar. Is he forgetting about the McLaren drivers? One of them could have won the WDC about a dozen different ways. He thinks the distant 4th place driver should have won?
Old 12 Aug 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2938915)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Riding his scooter.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 14:14 (Ref:2938933)   #19
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
In the interests of equality, I should say that JV DID win the F1 World championship (Which is more than everyone on here has done) which by definition means he deserved it. You don't win it by being a crap driver (otherwise Mark Webber would have won by now....stir stir stir. That's a joke BTW), you win by being a good driver in the right car at the right time.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2938941)   #20
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be fair, I think given the opportunity quite a few of us could have won it that year in that car, and quite likely by a larger margin, such was the car's utter dominance.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2938999)   #21
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Is JV on some kind of publicity trip to win himself a full-time gig?

If he's not a motorised harpoon in Nationwide, he's issuing silly headline grabbers to bone idle journalists.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2939004)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Unfortunately, this is the sort of thing that was bound to happen in a four week period without any racing. Still awaiting a similarly daft outburst from Eddie Irvine, but he might take some catching on that scooter of his.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2939045)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
When he made those remarks about Kimi he was in Brazil after a race there and he was trying to get some publicity from the locals. Pathetic.
That's exactly what happened. After embarassing himself in a stock car race that was worth almost a million dollars, he finished in 18th behind the likes of Ricardo Zonta, Antonio Pizzonia and Max Wilson (at least he beat Luciano Burti), he would better go home quietly.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 01:01 (Ref:2939107)   #24
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Oh I gotta make a comment here.

There has never been an undeserving WDC ... lucky, yes, undeserving no. Its over a SEASON so there will be ups and downs and certain things that everybody remembers but if you do enough to win it over 16 or 18 races you deserve it.

Much as I think JV is a total nob a lot of the time, people tend to forget that he was a very good race driver. I was at that first GP and he was good. There was next to nothing between he and Damon Hill and I regard Damon as a good steerer as I'm sure most do. No Jim Clark but pretty good. JV lost the plot after Williams and never got it back IMO. For the record I think Kimi's a nob too and yes, he was lucky (I think his teammate was better than him in that year but unlucky) but undeserving - no.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 01:15 (Ref:2939109)   #25
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
A whole bunch of red plonkers marching their best work in the form of a fuel hose down the length of the pit lane certainly springs to mind when I think of Felipe's Ferrari support.