Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Oct 2014, 08:19 (Ref:3462456)   #26
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some more fuel on a Hamilton to McLaren move from Autosport, hense Alonso to Mercedes. All speculation of course but its fun to watch.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116226
Old 9 Oct 2014, 11:52 (Ref:3462497)   #27
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Some more fuel on a Hamilton to McLaren move from Autosport, hense Alonso to Mercedes. All speculation of course but its fun to watch.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116226
Out of all the article discusses, I find the small mention of Alonso considering a move to Williams the most interesting.

Richard
Old 9 Oct 2014, 12:13 (Ref:3462515)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Out of all the article discusses, I find the small mention of Alonso considering a move to Williams the most interesting.

Richard
It would be the perfect solution. Could Williams find the money to do it?

They did for Mr Senna in the old days, but that was ciggie cash ..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Oct 2014, 12:19 (Ref:3462520)   #29
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

"Ah, Felipe baby, remember that contract you signed? *tearing* Fernando is faster than you, ok?"
Old 9 Oct 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3462524)   #30
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I took quite a disliking to Alonso during his time at McLaren due to what went on there. More recently I have warmed a bit more to the guy and certainly rate his abilities as a driver nowadays.
I would love to see him at Williams as they're a team I want to see back at the top where they deserve to be. Having Alonso on board would firstly show that he rates their abilities (which would help bring them extra money), plus his development & driving skills would help no-end too!
Old 9 Oct 2014, 15:04 (Ref:3462572)   #31
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Its a bit off topic, but I will continue the derailment I started...

I could imagine a one year deal with Williams to be a handy solution if things are not optimal to go to McLaren in 2015. Williams has out performed McLaren this year, who is to say next year will be any better for McLaren? Especially as the performance of Honda powerplant is a big question mark. Imagine Renault/RBR style pre-season testing fiasco! I wouldn't put money on McLaren setting the world on fire next year.

Drive one year for Williams and then move to McLaren or elsewhere (Mercedes?) in 2016 for a real WDC effort? Drive for Williams for little or no money (as they likely can't pay Alonso his going rate), but do it both for the fun of it and because (if they can maintain their form) that they likely will get better results than he would with Ferrari and likely a number of other teams.

However, I really don't believe the tale I have spun, but it is an interesting idea. I still believe it is Alonso to McLaren and Mercedes and Williams remaining unchanged.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 9 Oct 2014 at 15:08. Reason: typo
Old 10 Oct 2014, 01:09 (Ref:3462768)   #32
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Its a bit off topic, but I will continue the derailment I started...

I could imagine a one year deal with Williams to be a handy solution if things are not optimal to go to McLaren in 2015. Williams has out performed McLaren this year, who is to say next year will be any better for McLaren? Especially as the performance of Honda powerplant is a big question mark. Imagine Renault/RBR style pre-season testing fiasco! I wouldn't put money on McLaren setting the world on fire next year.

Drive one year for Williams and then move to McLaren or elsewhere (Mercedes?) in 2016 for a real WDC effort? Drive for Williams for little or no money (as they likely can't pay Alonso his going rate), but do it both for the fun of it and because (if they can maintain their form) that they likely will get better results than he would with Ferrari and likely a number of other teams.

However, I really don't believe the tale I have spun, but it is an interesting idea. I still believe it is Alonso to McLaren and Mercedes and Williams remaining unchanged.

Richard
Highly entertaining ...
Old 10 Oct 2014, 03:23 (Ref:3462799)   #33
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Fernando is focused on getting Merc engines he could always go to Lotus now. Would bring some money in for sure.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 11:08 (Ref:3462910)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Story Here

Motorsport.com believes Mr Alonso may be off to MercedesGP too.

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Oct 2014, 11:55 (Ref:3462928)   #35
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Hamilton to McLaren.

1) He would be emulating his hero Senna
2) He would be number one, no disputes
3) He would feel like going home
4) Honda has money to spend on a name
5) Something must be in the wind otherwise Alonso would have been announced as lead at McLaren last week in Japan.
6) His girlfriend has told him to do it.
7) His bother fancies a crack in the McLaren GT3 team

Against Hamilton to McLaren

1) A year of R & D, (maybe if he won this years WDC he would be more keen hence the delay)
2) Potential a slow car
3) Seen as running away from a good drive, But the thought of Alonso and Rosberg together in a team is not one of harmony
4) Never return to an ex, it always ends in tears
5) Merc would rather keep him over Rosberg (Rosberg to Mclaren?)
Old 10 Oct 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3462938)   #36
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
For Hamilton to McLaren.

1) He would be emulating his hero Senna
2) He would be number one, no disputes
3) He would feel like going home
4) Honda has money to spend on a name
5) Something must be in the wind otherwise Alonso would have been announced as lead at McLaren last week in Japan.
6) His girlfriend has told him to do it.
7) His bother fancies a crack in the McLaren GT3 team

Against Hamilton to McLaren

1) A year of R & D, (maybe if he won this years WDC he would be more keen hence the delay)
2) Potential a slow car
3) Seen as running away from a good drive, But the thought of Alonso and Rosberg together in a team is not one of harmony
4) Never return to an ex, it always ends in tears
5) Merc would rather keep him over Rosberg (Rosberg to Mclaren?)
Some interesting points there Nordic and regarding point 4 in your against list: Didn't Lewis & Nicole split & are now back together again? (Maybe it's a principle he doesn't believe in).
Also, putting two & two together and making far more than four: Reading Autosports coverage of FP2 today, Lewis seems very comkplementary about the pace of McLaren and Button.
(I'm just saying...)
Old 10 Oct 2014, 13:27 (Ref:3462959)   #37
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Lewis & Nicole are an 'item' again but I have not seen her long mooey in the pit garages so maybe not. Will have to dig out my latest issue of OK or Heat magazine to find out if they are on or off this week.

So working on the assumption he would ignore my advice never return to a scorned ex then he is a shoe in at both Mclaren and Nicole.

Although my post was slightly tongue in cheek, I really can see Hammy going back and Alonso ending up at Merc or a long, (but highly paid) shot at Nissan for the LMP program, they did say a while back 'you would not believe who was lined up' and I don't for a minute see that happening so it ticks the 'you wont believe' box! (Button maybe)

If the deal was done at Honda/McLaren, then it would have been announced at the home GP I feel.

Maybe Vettal forced Alonso's hand and he really does not have something lined up and will be sitting out 2015.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 13:44 (Ref:3462965)   #38
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's all very interesting and if this is ture then Lewis has pulled a fast one on everyone. I have to say there hasn't been this much movement at the top of the driver market for years it will be interesting to see who it all shakes out.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 14:11 (Ref:3462972)   #39
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Hamilton will find his way back to Mclaren if Mac remain in half decent nick. Doesn't seem likely it'll be next year although Mclaren is probably very willing. Probably depends how much of a toll pillow fighting with Rosberg has taken out on him and whether he wants to go through another year of that. Still, they are by the best car on the grid and are a fairly stable team compared to most other competitors.

Alonso going to Williams isn't likely. Williams can cobble together a little flier but then after a year or two seem to fall off the cliff. I wouldn't be fiscally confident in them or Lotus either and if he has a difficult year his stock will fall. If he can't get a deal out of Mclaren or Merc he'll sit on the sidelines I think.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3462976)   #40
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I see this story / rumour is gaining momentum. I just can't see Hamilton walking away from the best car on the grid, to go to a team that have achieved nothing significant for the last 4 years or so, especially with a completely unproven power train for next term.

I also can't see Mercedes wanting to see the number 1 plate (potentially) on the front of a rival car next year.
Yes Rosberg and Hamilton have had their disagreements, but they are not beyond being managed.

Alono has less to lose by joining McLaren, having seen Ferrari seemingly go into decline after nearly delivering once or twice in recent years.

Surely there is no chance Alonso has left Ferrari with the intention of gardening for a year. Alonso has something lined up already, it's just not been announced for whatever reason.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 15:33 (Ref:3463000)   #41
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I think Lewis & Nicole are an 'item' again but I have not seen her long mooey in the pit garages so maybe not. Will have to dig out my latest issue of OK or Heat magazine to find out if they are on or off this week.
hate myself for knowing this but they are indeed on at the moment and have been for a while. i think it's because leaving the hounds with her is cheaper than finding a quality kennel.

and she's marginally lower maintenance than ron dennis. probably looks better in lingerie too.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 17:10 (Ref:3463033)   #42
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

and she's marginally lower maintenance than ron dennis. probably looks better in lingerie too.
That was not a thought that I wanted to 'linger' in my mind - and just before dinner, too......
Old 10 Oct 2014, 18:23 (Ref:3463063)   #43
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

...but I can't but help think that others would disagree. Certainly about the last bit...
Old 10 Oct 2014, 23:52 (Ref:3463165)   #44
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
hate myself for knowing this but they are indeed on at the moment and have been for a while. i think it's because leaving the hounds with her is cheaper than finding a quality kennel.

She would get my vote if we were playing dress up.....
Old 11 Oct 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3463279)   #45
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
nicole to mclaren?
Old 11 Oct 2014, 08:43 (Ref:3463285)   #46
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
nicole to mclaren?
That is worthy of a new thread...
Old 11 Oct 2014, 16:07 (Ref:3463368)   #47
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post

...but I can't but help think that others would disagree. Certainly about the last bit...
Are you saying you actually believe that there are people out there (and not locked up for their own safety) who would prefer to see Ron Denis in lingerie than Nicole S?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 12 Oct 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3463546)   #48
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched Alonso say in an interview the decisions were made over two months ago. Eddie J speculated Alonso and Vettel to McLaren. With Vettel going to Ferrari, that leaves Alonso going to Mercedes and Hamilton going to McLaren. It's anyone's guess, but I believe the decision has indeed been made long ago. I remember making a rumour up years ago and it came true (JV's return)!
Old 12 Oct 2014, 08:19 (Ref:3463861)   #49
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
I watched Alonso say in an interview the decisions were made over two months ago. Eddie J speculated Alonso and Vettel to McLaren. With Vettel going to Ferrari, that leaves Alonso going to Mercedes and Hamilton going to McLaren. It's anyone's guess, but I believe the decision has indeed been made long ago. I remember making a rumour up years ago and it came true (JV's return)!
Webber to Renault?
Old 12 Oct 2014, 10:29 (Ref:3463945)   #50
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
According to Autosport, Alonso tried to engineer a swap between himself and Hamilton. That fell through. Ferrari got wind of this and began to doubt him. Doubts piled up with Ferrari when during contract negotiations Alonso kept insisting on a clause that if he didn't achieve a certain threshold he'd be released. Ferrari is on a long term comeback strategy and wanted total commitment.

Ferrari recontacted Vettel and Vettel had his RBR clause that if he didn't achieve a top three at a certain stage in the season, he could go. He activated that clause. His departure apparently includes bring some RBR staff across. How important those staff are I dunno. Alonso is apparently locked in negotiations with Mclaren but still has one eye out for Mercedes.