Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Feb 2020, 18:08 (Ref:3958547)   #101
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I had forgotten about this...

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/06/13...neration-cars/

Assuming Supercars want to remain a V8 muscle car series, it is a no brainer to align the with BNT V8 regulations.

The cost of the BNT V8 car is so much reasonable than the car of the future!
Turnkey @ 230k is baffling - how is a current Supercar so much more expensive?
Old 19 Feb 2020, 19:44 (Ref:3958572)   #102
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Be a range of factors in that no doubt - including engines (BNT cars all use the same LS3 engine) and the cost of developing the cars from each manufacturer and the testing process, all of which needs to be defrayed across the cars each team has by way of parts pricing etc.

Given that TA2 cars with a spares package are less than $150K AUD the BNT cars look expensive - as usual, devil in the detail I would think.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 21:30 (Ref:3958593)   #103
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The engine alone is $120k cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Given that TA2 cars with a spares package are less than $150K AUD the BNT cars look expensive - as usual, devil in the detail I would think.
Think scale, what is the cost of developing all the bespoke parts for a very small market?
Old 19 Feb 2020, 21:47 (Ref:3958596)   #104
Compromised
Veteran

Are the BNT or TA2 as safe as a Supercar?

Whilst costs must reduce, driver safety can not
Old 19 Feb 2020, 22:35 (Ref:3958613)   #105
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

Think scale, what is the cost of developing all the bespoke parts for a very small market?
Agree completely, plus the costs of developing the car & bodywork for each new model, VCAT testing, all that.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 00:57 (Ref:3958628)   #106
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercars has detested and bagged overseas formula’s, both past and present, for over two decades. I doubt they would lower themselves to align regs with a NZ Championship that has just lost its national championship status

One gets the feeling they’d rather go out of business than align with someone else’s set of regulations. They’ve always said they know what the fans want...
Old 20 Feb 2020, 03:58 (Ref:3958644)   #107
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They might know what the fans want, but can they deliver it?
Old 23 Feb 2020, 08:17 (Ref:3959346)   #108
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what car do we see Chaz steering next year....? BMW I’m hoping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 Feb 2020, 09:03 (Ref:3959347)   #109
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
So what car do we see Chaz steering next year....? BMW I’m hoping.
It could certainly look the business...

Would the BMW be the upper or the lower variant?

I think it would be good to replace the goofy looking Mustang with one with the correct proportions, if possible. But that would mean lots of expense. What a mess. So much confusion around whether Supercars is a 2-door category or a 4-door category.

The following 4 series shape might split the difference while still fitting over the control chassis:

One wonders why Ford allowed their sleek Mustang (which is a very similar shape to the BMW 8 series) to be distorted so much. It seems unlikely BMW would allow the shape of the 8 series to be disfigured in the same way.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 23 Feb 2020 at 09:11.
Old 23 Feb 2020, 09:07 (Ref:3959349)   #110
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The lack of certainty in the rules is very confusing though.

I think it would be good to replace the goofy looking Mustang with one with the correct proportions, if possible. But that would mean lots of expense. What a mess.
Would also be very expensive to develop a BMW or Camaro for Gen2 Supercar for one year
Old 24 Feb 2020, 22:24 (Ref:3959651)   #111
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This artist's impression of Gen 3 made me laugh out loud...

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...ens-exit-78133

Old 24 Feb 2020, 23:38 (Ref:3959670)   #112
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
This artist's impression of Gen 3 made me laugh out loud...

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...ens-exit-78133

I reckon if done properly it would be more popular than either GT3 or TCR.
Old 25 Feb 2020, 06:49 (Ref:3959701)   #113
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
“Could it be a ute? Could it be a van? A lot of people like to kick around ideas" - Scott Seamer.

Ever meet someone thats doing a job that they're actually clueless at?
Old 25 Feb 2020, 07:07 (Ref:3959703)   #114
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Far too common these days...
Old 25 Feb 2020, 07:17 (Ref:3959705)   #115
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
“Could it be a ute? Could it be a van? A lot of people like to kick around ideas" - Scott Seamer.

Yes, a few times, and I think they would closely identify with this guy.
Old 25 Feb 2020, 20:07 (Ref:3959867)   #116
drftin
Rookie

drftin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

maybe he's referring to all these internet experts who think they could do a better job of running Supercars and reality have no idea of the reality of running a big business

how do you get any clue about how good a job he does by a few comments in interviews?
Old 25 Feb 2020, 23:08 (Ref:3959912)   #117
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drftin View Post
how do you get any clue about how good a job he does by a few comments in interviews?
Sean "closest it's ever been" Seamer maybe needs a little coaching when it comes to public comments - doesn't mean he's doing a bad job, just makes it look like it lol
Old 26 Feb 2020, 00:07 (Ref:3959916)   #118
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Sean "closest it's ever been" Seamer maybe needs a little coaching when it comes to public comments - doesn't mean he's doing a bad job, just makes it look like it lol
"The Trans Am series needs to get their IP in order" is another example of his engage mouth before brain public statements.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 00:48 (Ref:3959918)   #119
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have thought for a while now that they should consider a chassis with a bolt on upper roll cage similar to DTM. This would allow them to change the shape of the top section to suit different body shapes but after watching footage of officials extricating Ryan Newman from his Daytona crash it might also allow them to remove the top section of chassis/roll cage to aid access to the injured driver.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 00:55 (Ref:3959920)   #120
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only place Gen 3 is actually ever going to exist is in Seamer’s brain.No other manufacturers will want to play in such a small market with a formula based on outdated technology that has no applicability to their road cars.
By 2022 Supercars will be gone to lie down next to TOCA and Procar.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 01:18 (Ref:3959921)   #121
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
I have thought for a while now that they should consider a chassis with a bolt on upper roll cage similar to DTM. ... it might also allow them to remove the top section of chassis/roll cage to aid access to the injured driver.
In a big shunt with lots of deformed structure, what was easily detachable is likely to be much less so. Much easier just to pack the battery angle grinder.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 09:14 (Ref:3959957)   #122
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm still lost trying to figure out why they seem so persistent on a racing model that relies on manufacturer backing.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 09:17 (Ref:3959958)   #123
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
"The Trans Am series needs to get their IP in order" is another example of his engage mouth before brain public statements.
What happens to your racing series if Ford sues you to stop using the Mustang shape and likeness? Then the other two follow suit - and you can't fight it...

Quote:
I'm still lost trying to figure out why they seem so persistent on a racing model that relies on manufacturer backing.
The ZB Commodore had no manufacturer backing. Holden gave their blessing and permission to RBHRT to develop and on-sell the car to others, and they did so at their own cost. No reason this couldn't happen with another car. The model is proven.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 10:11 (Ref:3959966)   #124
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't the Kia boss say he'd support a racing Stinger. If someone else funded the development and homologation.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 26 Feb 2020, 10:55 (Ref:3959974)   #125
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Didn't the Kia boss say he'd support a racing Stinger. If someone else funded the development and homologation.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Which pretty much negates the point of chasing a new marque into the series, unless you’ve got a benefactor with a preference for a certain badge (ie.... Erebus and Mercedes)
Closed Thread