Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Second driver at Williams (not Button or Webber)?
Fisichella 24 32.88%
Villeneuve 33 45.21%
Neither - specify 16 21.92%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Mar 2004, 20:29 (Ref:909700)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Fisi or Jacques?

You are Frank Williams. You can't stand the sight of your two whinging drivers, Ralf and Juan - and in any case, they have signed elsewhere. You've managed to sign either Button or Webber for 2005, the other being contracted to someone else. Your logical remaining choices are Jacques and Fisi. Who would you rather have as the other driver?

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 18 Mar 2004 at 20:31.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 20:32 (Ref:909703)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd say Fisi although I don't rate either as highly as I did 5 years ago. (or 3 years ago in Fisi's case).
Old 18 Mar 2004, 20:32 (Ref:909704)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Villeneuve 10 out of 10. He's been in that team, he's won with it... and Fisichella would be driving for Ferrari because TGF will retire (in my dreams)
Old 18 Mar 2004, 20:33 (Ref:909705)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Well Jordi, TGF retiring and Fisi in the Ferrari would be in my dreams as well!
Old 18 Mar 2004, 20:40 (Ref:909714)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm Frank Williams, Sir , and I see that Fisi is a quick in an average car, and Jacques is... was good in a superb car I made. Where is he now ? Oh yes, we didn't want him this season... this circus sicks.
Yes, my car is great and every driver in the grid would love to drive them... so let's see.
What about a young gun like Webber ? Or some rookies in the making with famous names ? ? ? ?
Old 18 Mar 2004, 20:41 (Ref:909720)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Remember Bon, in my scenario, Frank has already signed one of button or webber, and the other is unavailable.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 20:43 (Ref:909722)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
C'mon... Sir Frank can pay to have Button and Webber right NOW !!!
Old 18 Mar 2004, 20:47 (Ref:909732)   #8
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Can he? Just like he can pay to have Ralf and Juan right now
Old 18 Mar 2004, 21:14 (Ref:909774)   #9
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Judging by your signature Inigo I'm guessing who you voted for on this pole

Due to somewhat similar bias I have to say JV...I think Fisi is one of the best out there don't get me wrong. Still I think Jacques is the proven championship winner, and he did win that championship with Williams after all.

With all the money swabbles at Williams as of late, I think engaging in a bidding war to buy out either Button or Webber's contract is unlikely for Frank. He can get a cheap JV AND Fisi for 2005 and if they don't perform toss them out and hire the "young guns" when their contracts are up in 2006.

My real bet though...JV and Dixon, Williams 2005.

Last edited by TeddyG; 18 Mar 2004 at 21:20.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 21:32 (Ref:909802)   #10
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TeddyG, you are so spot on about the 05 line up.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 21:50 (Ref:909840)   #11
Katieknight1984
Rookie

Katieknight1984 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jv for sure,he is a proven winner and he shown us and he was the last driver to give the team a world champ,go jv we know ya do it,bring on 05 or even earlier.
There must be times when Joann Villeneuve still doubts her wisdom in letting Jacques step in to that little kart at Imola all those years ago, but race fans around the world are eternally grateful, for in Jacques we have a racer of the old school, and a legend in his own right.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 21:58 (Ref:909850)   #12
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cds_uk
TeddyG, you are so spot on about the 05 line up.
Well naturally...I'm right about everything don't cha know?

Honestly though I think the Dixon/JV line up would be perfect for getting some fresh air back into the Williams garage. A fiery ex-WDC with a lot to prove his critics and a rookie ace who looks to have a similar passion for racing and most likely a successful career ahead of him! Plus they'll come cheap and ready to perform.

Last edited by TeddyG; 18 Mar 2004 at 22:00.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 22:25 (Ref:909888)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Where is the 'other' option?
Old 18 Mar 2004, 22:33 (Ref:909897)   #14
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Feel free to add it Wrex. Besides button or Webber, who else you think fits the bill?
Old 18 Mar 2004, 22:40 (Ref:909903)   #15
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What has Fisi done in his career to make 7 out of 15 vote for him? (gen question not sarcasm)
Also i've worked out TGF is MS but what does it stand for? It's driving me mad trying to figure it out and it's best i don't say what i think it stands for to avoid offending MS fans.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 22:47 (Ref:909910)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by hamsmith
Also i've worked out TGF is MS but what does it stand for? It's driving me mad trying to figure it out and it's best i don't say what i think it stands for to avoid offending MS fans.
It stands for "That German Fellow" although you can substitute words depending on your preferance. It is used by fans and non-fans.

Back to the topic in hand. I think the Fisi voters take into account the cars Fisi has had at his disposal.

Interestingly both lost a little motivation when in poor cars I think.

There is a common team mate, Button. Although at different stages in their career.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 23:01 (Ref:909929)   #17
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I hate to say it, but Fisi has failed to retain my first impression of him.

I wont bail on him completely, but unless I see something impressive this season I (along with others here and in the paddock) wont be backing him for a top ride.

However, if I have to choose between them, Fisi gets the vote.

If they have Button or Webber and cant get the other (even though I find it unlikely a team like Williams cant get whoever they want), I would like to see them go for someone outside of F1. Dixon may be a good choice, or whatever champion in waiting is sitting in F3 or F3000 right now.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 23:03 (Ref:909931)   #18
Ladyracer
Rookie

Ladyracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone,

I new here but not new to F1, I have been a fan since MS
days at Benetton!

If I was Frank Williams I would hire JV, his achievements in motor sport racing do speak for themselves (I won't list all his championships or name the races he has won, I'm sure you all have read it in other threads), He is a fast and excellent
driver, one of the few drivers who could beat MS, that is
if given a competitive car

Besides, after five years driving a BAR, he sure does deserve
to drive a real F1 car
Old 18 Mar 2004, 23:37 (Ref:909968)   #19
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
neither driver.....if it were up to me i'd look for a young gun to partner webber/button....
Old 18 Mar 2004, 23:40 (Ref:909972)   #20
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
brain f@rt here...

I honestly can not remember if Fisi signed with Sauber for one or two years. If two I guess I would be looking at JV. If one, then I think I will throw the pair of em in a boxing ring, let em beat the cr@p out of each other and the winner can go in my car!

OK, sorry, been having a bad day at work. Either way I would pick JV (between the two) If I could choose anyone in the car, then you would naturally want the most talented driver currently on the grid (MS)

TJ
Old 18 Mar 2004, 23:41 (Ref:909975)   #21
BARrouette
Racer

BARrouette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV for shure now with all the experience that he have and i am shure that he would drive for less $ than the others...

Add Dixon "a pure racer" and u got a excellent team.Here i go i am dreaming again...
Old 18 Mar 2004, 23:47 (Ref:909981)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: brain f@rt here...

Quote:
Originally posted by 006_007
I honestly can not remember if Fisi signed with Sauber for one or two years.
Two, but his contract is easy to get out of if he finds a seat at a good team. Sauber doesn't want to stand in his way.

Can JV go to Williams? Here is an article on it, by a Villeneuve fan: http://www.autosport.com/featuresask...=26154&s=5&l=2
Old 19 Mar 2004, 00:03 (Ref:909995)   #23
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably Fisichella. Button & Fisi together again would be interesting.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 00:29 (Ref:910016)   #24
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
The results thus far are surprising, at least to me. I guess everyone has forgotten about poor old Giancarlo. <sigh>
Old 19 Mar 2004, 00:33 (Ref:910019)   #25
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by hamsmith
What has Fisi done in his career to make 7 out of 15 vote for him? (gen question not sarcasm)
You mean besides beat every teammate he has ever had (including Button, Wurz, Ralf..)? Or taking a Jordan that was the laughing stock of the field to a victory? Or twice winning the Driver's driver award at the Bernie awards?

Put him in a car equal to the one Jacques was in when he won the WDC, and he walks away with the WDC.