Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Second driver at Williams (not Button or Webber)?
Fisichella 24 32.88%
Villeneuve 33 45.21%
Neither - specify 16 21.92%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Mar 2004, 15:17 (Ref:910835)   #51
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
DieRitter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite of what happened at Jaguar, he's still highly rated by the team.

Sam Michael never gets tired of saying how quick he is.

'12 months out of a Williams has done nothing to slow Antonio down'
Old 19 Mar 2004, 15:17 (Ref:910836)   #52
Russ
Rookie

Russ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'd put Mika and Jaques in a car for '05 if [he] had any sense.

Please try to show a little respect, this is a Family forum and a friendly place. We don't cotton to such comments.

Edited by EERO
Old 19 Mar 2004, 15:19 (Ref:910837)   #53
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Considering that JV will have been out of the cockpit for well over a year by 2005, and Fisichella would relish a big chance and really put a lot into it, I think he would make more sense. Pairing him with Button or Ralf again would be intriguing as well - he's already beaten them once. That said, his form at the moment hasn't been too impressive against Massa, and he has often flattered to decieve.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 15:21 (Ref:910839)   #54
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First choice: Justin Wilson.

Second choice: Antonio Pizzonia (quite funny that DieRitter also voted for him).

Villeneuve and Fisichella, with all my respect for them (and I do respect them a lot) are past their prime and would not add much to Williams.

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 19 Mar 2004, 15:27 (Ref:910845)   #55
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Neither of them as Bon and Mr V said.

Button/Webber would be good.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 15:30 (Ref:910854)   #56
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
DieRitter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too many variables. If Frank didn't rely on BMW, he'd pick someone fresh like Piquet, Rosberg or even Dixon...

Muzza: I voted for Pizzonia because he's quick and Williams knows that. The coincidence is that Ralf's negotiation stalled when Antonio started testing again... Continuity wise he's the right option given that Gene is nothing special.

But again... I don't think BMW would approve Pizzonia if the other seat wasn't occupied by a big name.

I wish there was another good German driver around. That would make things so much easier, not to mention obvious.

Last edited by DieRitter; 19 Mar 2004 at 15:36.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 15:52 (Ref:910873)   #57
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fisi or JV? then id say Fisi.....
Old 19 Mar 2004, 15:54 (Ref:910874)   #58
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Ooo, its getting close... Thanks to all who followed the rules of the thread (i.e. if you had to choose between the two).
Old 19 Mar 2004, 16:12 (Ref:910885)   #59
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by DieRitter
(...)
I wish there was another good German driver around. (...)
What about Heidfeld? I think he is outstanding...
Old 19 Mar 2004, 16:19 (Ref:910888)   #60
Russ
Rookie

Russ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzza
What about Heidfeld? I think he is outstanding...
What exactly has he done that is so outstanding?!
Old 19 Mar 2004, 18:23 (Ref:910997)   #61
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In F1, he has barely had a chance to shine, given the teams he's driven for, but at Sauber in 2001, he was fast and scored a podium. He's better than the results allow, and the Jordan is so awful that he flatters it keeping it off the back row of the grid.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 18:28 (Ref:911002)   #62
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He was certainly impressive in Melbourne, battling with much faster cars for an age it seemed.

Good to see.......I'd almost forgotten about him when he was at Sauber.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 18:34 (Ref:911011)   #63
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frentzen has dominated the DTM tests in his first drives. Come on, Frank, unfinished business there....

But Heidfeld would be a good choice, too. I don't think he is quite at the inspired level of Alonso but I'd rank him alongside Button.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 18:37 (Ref:911015)   #64
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ozman and I are the Nick fanclub here. I've suggested Nick for Ralfie's seat for a dog's age. I suspect Button will stay at BAR, Webber if he doesn't go to Renault will stay at Jaguar to see out his contract. Ralf's burned his brides. How about Fisi and Heidfeld at Williams in 2005?!
Old 19 Mar 2004, 18:42 (Ref:911019)   #65
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
What exactly has he done that is so outstanding?!
I did not say "so outstanding", but outstanding. Having seen Heidfeld driving in Formula 3 and Formula 3000, and evaluating his drives in Formula 1 (particularly taking into consideration the sort of machinery he has driven in this latter series) I rate him higher than most of the current Formula 1 crop.

Those that believe that "Räikkonen blew Heidfeld away at Sauber" should take a closer look at the season when both drivers were paired together, and analyse what prevented Heidfeld of achieving better results. In line with that, he is one of the unluckiest guys in the field.

If you go a race track, please take the time to pay a little time watching Heidfeld driving. Unfortunately he is usually scrambling in the midfield, and these situations are seldom shown on Formula 1 tv coverage.

I believe these are facts, not excuses.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 18:46 (Ref:911023)   #66
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Ralf's burned his brides.
Really?
Old 19 Mar 2004, 18:54 (Ref:911033)   #67
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by DieRitter
Muzza: I voted for Pizzonia because he's quick and Williams knows that. The coincidence is that Ralf's negotiation stalled when Antonio started testing again...
I was reading an article about the "birth" of the FW26 and at the Valencia test at the end of January it's reported as a Williams insider saying....

"Don't ask us what Jaguar did to him (Pizzonia), We haven't got a clue"

Looks like Williams still rate Antonio. Funnily enough, before the 2003 season started, i thought that we would see him (Pizzonia) in the Williams for this season!

Last edited by Mr V; 19 Mar 2004 at 18:55.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 20:31 (Ref:911126)   #68
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
taking a Jordan that was the laughing stock of the field to a victory? Or twice winning the Driver's driver award at the Bernie awards?

Are you refering to the victory in Brazil last year? that was beyond fluke. that was an exciting race but the best or second best man did not win on that occasion.

Didnt DC win the same bernie?
Old 19 Mar 2004, 21:31 (Ref:911166)   #69
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Ok Ham... you asked for it. That was no fluke last year - he was smart enough to stay out there when the others did not. Here is a summary I wrote for another doubter a long time back:

Going on qualifying (for the years that Atlas did the average qualifying differential for the season) - Fisi vs. teammates:

1997 - 0.047 sec faster than teammate
1999 - 0.318 sec faster than teammate
2000 - 0.304 sec faster than teammate
2001 - 0.352 sec faster than teammate

And for 1998, and 2002, I found average grid location:
1998: Fisi 7.062 teammate 8.75
2002: Fisi 11.19 teammate 15.35

So he has been faster than his teammate every year he's been in F1.

But beyond that, consider he took that Jordan tank to 3 5th places in 2002... and a win last year.
And lets see what his fellow drivers think of him:

http://www.rediff.com/sports/2003/jan/12f1.htm

And Murray Walker:

"Giancarlo is one of the top three and I would say even top two drivers these days," said former commentator and Formula One personality Murray Walker at the annual Grand Prix fundraiser on Saturday."

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 19 Mar 2004 at 21:33.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 22:16 (Ref:911205)   #70
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd put them both in Williams cars, they're both living fire, they'd make a great team.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 22:22 (Ref:911214)   #71
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it isn't Jacques, it should be Gené. Just for driving more test km that Ralf and Montoya together, he's earned it.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 22:24 (Ref:911216)   #72
hamsmith
Racer

Are you Challenging me?

Check out '97 at http://www.autosport.com/encyclopaed...95&sn=219&ci=0
Look at just what a big gap there is in a lot of the grid possisions when Ralf out qualified Fisi and when both cars manage to finnish look at how much of a gap there is in the finnishing possisions (again Ralf ahead).unfortuanatly qualifing has never giving WC points between '96 & '04 so quali deferentials do not mean a huge amount at the end of the day and those higher grid possisions have never been of a huge advantage when it comes to the race. the points advantage at the end of the season was down to a high retirement of Ralf but when RS managed to stay on the track he was much more impressive. i know how much (or how little)you think of Ralf around here so to say Fisi should replace him is without logic. just because he would compleat more laps just 'cause he is less risky isn't going to win you a WRC. he maby hot over one lap but unless he can follow up another 50 odd hot laps he would be wasting williams time and effort (if they bother to make one) if he was allowed to drive at williams in '05. I'm like you in the fact i support the underdog but Fisi is a bit of a old dog.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 23:34 (Ref:911276)   #73
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by hamsmith
Are you Challenging me?
Perhaps when you learn to write sentences and use punctuation.

Yes, Ralf came the closest to beating Fisi. But he didn't.

And, for the record, I am not suggesting Fisi replace Schumacher. I am suggesting that he get one of the available seats at Williams.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 19 Mar 2004 at 23:37.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 09:27 (Ref:911765)   #74
hamsmith
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Perhaps when you learn to write sentences and use punctuation.

Yes, Ralf came the closest to beating Fisi. But he didn't.

What happened to attack the post not the poster?

When are you going to learn to write sentences? that was so contradictory. Yes, Ralf came the closest to beating Fisi. But he didn't. would you like to explain?
Old 20 Mar 2004, 10:28 (Ref:911834)   #75
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Calm down girls!