Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Apr 2021, 14:22 (Ref:4046518)   #126
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There were numerous punctures in the super trofeo race 1 resulting in the championship adding a mandatory tyre change to the pit stop in race 2. Now in the GTWC race multiple tyre failures again, admittedly wet tyres on a drying track. Is it time for the championship to introduce something like an intermediate?

The track is drying but not ready for slicks, too dry for wets though.

Back to green...

Very few things actually scare me about motorsport but this is it, cars cruising around with punctures, others going full speed while battling with other cars, track too dry for wets, terrifying scenes of cars cruising down the straights off the line and others still racing.

Last edited by tux; 18 Apr 2021 at 14:47.
Old 19 Apr 2021, 01:48 (Ref:4046643)   #127
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
-Biggest loser of the day was Pirelli tire company. Their brand looks horrible after all of those punctures.

-Driving standards was quite good with the weather conditions testing them for sure. I think the field being 42 cars helped. Would have had more problems if it was 55-60 cars. Hope the grid sizes remain as it is although we could trade a couple Audis or Mercedes for a Lesus or an Acura though.

-FCY/Safety car system STILL sucks

-On track action was quite good. Great looking cars and they do race well together. We had Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Mercedes battling it out a the end. Audi fleet had a rough day.

-GTWorld coverage was great and all of the practicice, qual, and race is quite rewatchable.

-Dinamic team is great. And Cairoli/Bachler/Engelhart is a VERY VERY underrated drving squad. I don't think I see them make any mistakes. Would love to see this trio in GTE Pro or GTLM. Won't get to but they would compete for victory for sure.
Old 19 Apr 2021, 09:04 (Ref:4046670)   #128
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
There were numerous punctures in the super trofeo race 1 resulting in the championship adding a mandatory tyre change to the pit stop in race 2. Now in the GTWC race multiple tyre failures again, admittedly wet tyres on a drying track. Is it time for the championship to introduce something like an intermediate?.
teams already do have an intermediate - scrubbed wets. if those are overheating then it’s the driver who needs to drive according to conditions.

you have to er, bat with the stick you’ve got. so if it’s too wet for slicks then you’ll have to stay offline and keep them cool. if teams are sending drivers out with the wrong pressures for the track and tyre conditions then it won’t help either. it’s not a matter of pirelli needing to set more specific pressure ranges or bring more tyres - an inter would last for a very short period of time - it’s drivers and teams managing the situation better.

would be interested to know exactly where on the tyre the punctures were occuring in super trofeo. might be like the mclaren issue the other season.
Old 19 Apr 2021, 15:56 (Ref:4046733)   #129
AndrewCherry
Racer

European Union
Horsham
AndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were so many to start with that I wondered if a kerb somewhere had cut up/lifted! Clearly not as they eased off when people went to slicks. The performance of the Porsche on both tyres just goes to show how much difference set up and mechanics can make in that situation - plus probably driver technique. Superb drive from all three Dinamic drivers, and an interesting and enjoyable race, even if maybe not an absolute classic. The last half hour was gripping, but by the last 10 minutes it was obvious that barring a big mistake from someone (or Fuoco having no breaks at all and going straight through the back of Feller) they were probably going to finish line astern. Good racing though, pushing hard, and fair.
Old 20 Apr 2021, 12:18 (Ref:4046865)   #130
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last time it rained at Monza, it was pretty good too. I agree that a smaller field seems to help. 50 cars is nice to watch, but maybe a bit too much to handle?
Old 20 Apr 2021, 13:08 (Ref:4046877)   #131
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley speed 8 View Post
Last time it rained at Monza, it was pretty good too. I agree that a smaller field seems to help. 50 cars is nice to watch, but maybe a bit too much to handle?
I think if we are really honest, the difference between 40 and 50 cars is 10 more cars to increase the risk of congestion, crashes, safety cars.

Visually, you wouldnt really tell on TV the difference between 40 and 50 cars, except at the green flag, and after that 40 cars is plenty enough to provide a full circuit, and action a plenty.
Old 20 Apr 2021, 19:52 (Ref:4046952)   #132
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
I think if we are really honest, the difference between 40 and 50 cars is 10 more cars to increase the risk of congestion, crashes, safety cars.

Visually, you wouldnt really tell on TV the difference between 40 and 50 cars, except at the green flag, and after that 40 cars is plenty enough to provide a full circuit, and action a plenty.
Indeed, the TV coverage of the Monza race showed no lack of quantity of automobiles on the track. No grid for any of the 3/6 hour races should be bigger than 42. Spa 24 should be no bigger than 48.
Old 23 Apr 2021, 12:00 (Ref:4047504)   #133
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
Indeed, the TV coverage of the Monza race showed no lack of quantity of automobiles on the track. No grid for any of the 3/6 hour races should be bigger than 42. Spa 24 should be no bigger than 48.
I'm not sure. There is rarely any carnage in this series. The field is closely matched overall, it's not like there are the same hazards as we get in big entry events that have vast performance differences.
Old 23 Apr 2021, 12:09 (Ref:4047509)   #134
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I'm not sure. There is rarely any carnage in this series. The field is closely matched overall, it's not like there are the same hazards as we get in big entry events that have vast performance differences.
hmmm. The Spa 24 has regularly been carnage. The years of 60 car grids were horrendous races.
Old 23 Apr 2021, 12:29 (Ref:4047512)   #135
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
hmmm. The Spa 24 has regularly been carnage. The years of 60 car grids were horrendous races.
Not all the time! And what about the rest of the calendar?
Old 23 Apr 2021, 15:00 (Ref:4047548)   #136
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It wasn’t so much carnage, as bad management of incidents
Old 24 Apr 2021, 16:07 (Ref:4047691)   #137
WyldStallion
Veteran

Imagine having 2 hours of green flag racing. You are the fastest car out there and after that two hours you build a 1 minute and 20 second lead over 2nd place but you never lapped them. An instance of a single car stalling on track will throw a safety car out and wipe away that lead right away.

SRO and IMSA still are notorious for this. It goes against the spirit of endurance racing. Leave this stuff for NASCAR and Indycar. Virtual FCY is needed in this situation and that is it. I've been saying on the IMSA thread forever that code 60/FCY should be used for stalled car and debris situations so that the gaps can be preserved and to cause no further delays after the car/debris has been removed.

Thankfully there has been a couple instances such as in the 6 hours of Paul Ricard in 2020 where they did have debris. They threw an FCY only and got racing again within a minute or so without bunching the cars together. But they don't do it as often as they should.
Old 3 May 2021, 20:46 (Ref:4049501)   #138
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've not seen much mention of it in any sportscar media but I'm interested to see how the conflict between GTWC Europe and the N24 quali race plays out. I know a lot of factory drivers are involved in GTWC Europe and are listed on the entry list for Magny Cours. I guess we'll have to wait for the N24 Quali race entry list to see how things shake out.
Old 4 May 2021, 07:27 (Ref:4049544)   #139
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2Motorsport View Post
I've not seen much mention of it in any sportscar media but I'm interested to see how the conflict between GTWC Europe and the N24 quali race plays out. I know a lot of factory drivers are involved in GTWC Europe and are listed on the entry list for Magny Cours. I guess we'll have to wait for the N24 Quali race entry list to see how things shake out.
They´ll race in Magny Cours. Many of them drove NLS3 instead of die qualirace.
Old 9 May 2021, 13:22 (Ref:4050529)   #140
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Safety car failed to pick up the leader again (see Spa 2020) and went to sit in front of the 3rd car. IT took them 2 laps to realize that.
Pathetic.
Old 9 May 2021, 19:28 (Ref:4050697)   #141
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
indeed, class form winners, miles faster than everyone, restarts made everyone else look stupid. Not a great track for GT cars, not a great track for any car racing really, but bikes are OK there!
Old 28 May 2021, 06:50 (Ref:4053635)   #142
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Paul Ricard 1000 this weekend!!
Old 28 May 2021, 08:21 (Ref:4053640)   #143
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Paul Ricard 1000 this weekend!!
Regardless of what some say, I think Paul Ricard with 47 GT3 cars going around it is a great site.

I will admit, im not a wild lover of watching too much night racing (only full dark racing, I love watching the sunset and sunrise hours), so I tend to watch the early parts of this race live then my interest slips a little as they hit full darkness.

But, it does totally make sense to do this prior to Spa, the less experienced need the practice.
Old 28 May 2021, 10:10 (Ref:4053649)   #144
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unlike some others, I have enjoyed the races at Paul Ricard over the years, so I'm definitely watching this one too.
Old 28 May 2021, 10:34 (Ref:4053653)   #145
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My lad is there, although I don't know who he's working with....
Old 30 May 2021, 03:23 (Ref:4053789)   #146
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Regardless of what some say, I think Paul Ricard with 47 GT3 cars going around it is a great site.

I will admit, im not a wild lover of watching too much night racing (only full dark racing, I love watching the sunset and sunrise hours), so I tend to watch the early parts of this race live then my interest slips a little as they hit full darkness.

But, it does totally make sense to do this prior to Spa, the less experienced need the practice.
I watched the first half of the race. Had to stop when it got dark at halfway. Eyes can't handle it. Thought FFF had this in the bag. But this is Jaminet/Cambpell/Bamber we are talking about here.

But look at 2021 results so far. Porsche 911 GT3 RS victories in Monza 3 hours, Nurburgring 6 hours (N24 Q-Race), Paul Ricard 6 hours, Sebring 12 hours (GTLM and GTD), and WEC Spa 6 hours.

All different teams too. Dynamic, Frikadeli, GPX, Manthay, Proton/Weatertech, and Pfaff. Very impressive stuff. Daytona as been the only miss so far.
Old 30 May 2021, 13:25 (Ref:4053830)   #147
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
That a pretty clean race, only 1 FCY. Quite a good battle at the very end, although I was surprised at how much the #63 Lamborghini faded away at the end. Maybe the nighttime conditions just didn't suit the car that much?
Old 1 Jun 2021, 13:59 (Ref:4054233)   #148
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
I watched the first half of the race. Had to stop when it got dark at halfway. Eyes can't handle it. Thought FFF had this in the bag. But this is Jaminet/Cambpell/Bamber we are talking about here.

But look at 2021 results so far. Porsche 911 GT3 RS victories in Monza 3 hours, Nurburgring 6 hours (N24 Q-Race), Paul Ricard 6 hours, Sebring 12 hours (GTLM and GTD), and WEC Spa 6 hours.

All different teams too. Dynamic, Frikadeli, GPX, Manthay, Proton/Weatertech, and Pfaff. Very impressive stuff. Daytona as been the only miss so far.
I expect a BOP "rebalance" for Porsche to be given at some point for all of their hard work.
Old 2 Jun 2021, 15:58 (Ref:4054361)   #149
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2Motorsport View Post
I expect a BOP "rebalance" for Porsche to be given at some point for all of their hard work.
Ahhh not predicting a Porsche to win the Spa 24 hours this year I see :-) I myself would like to see a car other than Audi, Porsche, and BMW win myelf. Those 3 makes have won every race since 2010 except for Mercedes in 2013.
Old 3 Jun 2021, 06:39 (Ref:4054405)   #150
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Cracking race and my my how strong was the GPX Porsche as the race wore on!!

Was the Lambo just not as strong in the hands of the last stint driver?

Mercs were a bit off, there were two in the frame early on?

BMWs were in the thick of it and they too faded badly in in the last 3rd of the race? The M4 can't come quickly enough.