Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 May 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2203848)   #1
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[BTCC] Round 4 - Thruxton, 18th May 2008

Now on to the fastest circuit on the BTCC calendar, Thruxton.

- Howell's back in the BTC SEAT filling in for Oliver
- Allison's out of the Robertshaw Chevrolet - replacement unknown/none

In an all touring weekend (with DTM & WTCC on the same day) - going to be busy.

New spotters guide here
Old 16 May 2008, 11:18 (Ref:2203882)   #2
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
banger_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any news on Xero or Team 48.
Personaly i dont think we will ever see team 48.
Old 16 May 2008, 11:23 (Ref:2203885)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger_racer
Is there any news on Xero or Team 48.
Personaly i dont think we will ever see team 48.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67072

Pretty much confirms it. The spin is that they mmiigggghhttt be out in May, but what their really saying is that they're skint and need money desperately to race. If they'd found that money, we'd have heard about it by now.

I've also heard that they haven't even received the cars from A-Tech.

Last edited by crmalcolm; 16 May 2008 at 11:30.
Old 16 May 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2203927)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I think we can forget Team L8.
Not so much haven't received the cars as hasn't even paid for them yet.
Old 16 May 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2203931)   #5
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Allison's seat won't be filled this weekend, so Robertshaw are down to the one Lacetti for Vaulkhard, and the Integra for Taylor.
Old 17 May 2008, 08:39 (Ref:2204572)   #6
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Allison's seat won't be filled this weekend, so Robertshaw are down to the one Lacetti for Vaulkhard, and the Integra for Taylor.
Would/could Robertshaw consider running Taylor in the 2nd Lacetti to improve their chances in the team's standings?
Old 17 May 2008, 08:55 (Ref:2204584)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
A driver can only make one change of car (make/model) and continue to score points so if Taylor did move to the Lacetti he couldn't go back to the Integra if/when the team found a replacement driver (or Allison came back). Does Taylor even have the budget to drive the Lacetti, I imagine they would want more that he's paying for the Integra.
Old 17 May 2008, 09:54 (Ref:2204605)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought the Integra was owned by Taylor rather than Robertshaw anyway.

I suspect Team 48 always needed money, and only announced the entry in the hope of attracting more attention and playing a certain sympathy card when the money didn't turn up. The problem is, when drivers like Allison and Eoin Murray can't attract sponsorship to run with established teams, a bunch of newcomers has no realistic hope of attracting support.
Old 17 May 2008, 15:04 (Ref:2204752)   #9
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Shedden has had his time scrubbed for failing ride-height, then re-instated with the comment accident damage. Does anyone know what happened?
Old 17 May 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2204756)   #10
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Grid for Race 1

1 - Tom Onslow-Cole - VX Racing - Vauxhall Vectra - 1:17.165

2 - Fabrizio Giovanardi - VX Racing - Vauxhall Vectra - 1:17.425

3 - Gordon Shedden - Team Halfords - Honda Civic Type-S - 1:17.516

4 - Matt Neal - VX Racing - Vauxhall Vectra - 1:17.525

5 - Tom Chilton - Team Halfords - Honda Civic Type-S - 1:17.712

6 - Jason Plato - SEAT Sport UK - SEAT Leon TDI - 1:17.811

7 - Darren Turner - SEAT Sport UK - SEAT Leon TDI - 1:17.847

8 - Colin Turkington - Team RAC - BMW 320si E90 - 1:17.916

9 - Mike Jordan - John Guest Racing - Honda Integra Type-R - 1:18.150

10 - Andrew Jordan - John Guest Racing - Honda Integra Type-R - 1:18.280

11 - Adam Jones - Team Air Cool / GR Asia - SEAT Leon - 1:18.990

12 - Mat Jackson - BMW Dealer Team UK - BMW 320si E90 - 1:18.223

13 - Stephen Jelley - Team RAC - BMW 320si E90 - 1:18.517

14 - Steven Kane - Motorbase Performance - BMW 320si E90 - 1:19.316

15 - Harry Vaulkhard - Robertshaw Racing - Chevrolet Lacetti - 1:19.535

16 - Rob Collard - Motorbase Performance - BMW 320si E90 - 1:19.714

17 - Jason Hughes - Team KWR - MG-ZS / Honda Integra - 1:19.888

18 - John George - TH Motorsport - Honda Integra Type-R - 1:20.466

19 - Alan Taylor - Robertshaw Racing - Honda Integra Type-R - 1:20.495

20 - Erkut Kizilirmak - Arkas Racing - Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch - 1:20.556

21 - Gareth Howell - BTC Racing - SEAT Toledo - 1:20.572

22 - Michael Doyle - In-Tune Racing - Honda Civic Type-R - 1:20.804

23 - Martyn Bell - Arkas Racing - Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch - 1:21.584

24 - Chris Stockton - BTC Racing - SEAT Toledo - 1:21.595

Car graphics courtesy of Andy Blackmore Design
Old 17 May 2008, 15:17 (Ref:2204758)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Strong showing from the Vauxhalls and Civics, Leons a little bit off the pace. Not looking good for the BMWs so far.
Old 17 May 2008, 15:45 (Ref:2204779)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Damn, the BMWs look slow.
Old 17 May 2008, 19:22 (Ref:2204897)   #13
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm
Shedden has had his time scrubbed for failing ride-height, then re-instated with the comment accident damage. Does anyone know what happened?
failed the ride height test, just like Plato.
Old 17 May 2008, 19:32 (Ref:2204904)   #14
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmau
Thankfully they check you mid qualifying and so they still have a chance to go out and set a second time with a fixed ride height.

Unlike poor Menu in the WTCC.
Old 17 May 2008, 19:37 (Ref:2204908)   #15
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmau
I think perhaps crmalcolm was referring to the accident damage?
Old 17 May 2008, 19:49 (Ref:2204914)   #16
redshoes
Veteran

The team successfully argued that the reason Shedden failed the ride height check was because the floor had been damaged when he went off at Church.

Quote:
Menu's wasn't checked until after the session had finished so he had no chance to go back out. BTCC also check some cars at the end of the session so if Plato hadn't been checked earlier he too would have lost all his times and been sent to the back.
Old 17 May 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2205005)   #17
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Thankfully they check you mid qualifying and so they still have a chance to go out and set a second time with a fixed ride height.

I must say I much prefer how WTCC is doing this. To be allowed a second chanse to score a time if you have already been found to not comply seems weird to me.

That implies that you can deliberataly set it to low at the start, set a great qualifying lap, and then adjust the height for 2nd half of the session. And if by chanse you are unlucky enought to get caught with you pants down, you are still allowed to go out again and set a qualifying lap in the second half.

Then again, it does fit into the general BTCC way of management.
Old 18 May 2008, 00:01 (Ref:2205066)   #18
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats another great qualifying run by Tom Onslow-Cole
Old 18 May 2008, 04:30 (Ref:2205138)   #19
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick
Thats another great qualifying run by Tom Onslow-Cole
Having not watched the BTCC in a few years, I don't even know who 2/3rd's of the field even is and I thought Onslow-Cole was the "slow driver" for Team VXR but now I see he's the "future" of the team and has been very fast the last two meetings.

Yes its true I only knew -

Plato from his Willams-Renualt days

Giovanardi from his N-Tech/Alfa days in ETCC

and Tuner of course with AMR have run in the ALMS before and of course Le Mans with Prodrive since the F550s.

Of course I heard of Neal, Clinton, Turkington and Collard but that really is IT.
Old 18 May 2008, 08:07 (Ref:2205197)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
That implies that you can deliberataly set it to low at the start, set a great qualifying lap, and then adjust the height for 2nd half of the session. And if by chanse you are unlucky enought to get caught with you pants down, you are still allowed to go out again and set a qualifying lap in the second half.

Then again, it does fit into the general BTCC way of management
Change the record.

Surely the BTCC way means people are less likely to cheat because they are more likely to get found out.

In your example, if checks were only done at the end of the session, the illegal car would never getting picked up. The BTCC way means that if you set a quick time early on you are more likely to have the car checked during the session and therefore more likely to get caught.
Old 18 May 2008, 08:52 (Ref:2205212)   #21
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
Damn, the BMWs look slow.
It might not be all bad news for the BMWs. As Onslow-Cole has said, the FWD cars will have to 'wind back' their set-ups to keep the tyres over a race distance. This may bring them back into RWD-esque times, whereas the RWDs can presumably run closer to optimum trim in a race set-up.
Old 18 May 2008, 09:12 (Ref:2205223)   #22
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
In your example, if checks were only done at the end of the session
Were did you find me saying you should only check at the end?!?
I was talking about not being allowed to participate further and starting from the last place on the grid if at any time found to be in breach of the rules. If you are allowed 2nd chances, were is the deterrent?

Quote:
The BTCC way means that if you set a quick time early on you are more likely to have the car checked during the session...
LOL? Are you now telling me that there is even a rule in BTCC to check top performers more often then the mid field? Why would a midfield or backmarker be less likely to have improper settings then a frontrunner?
Old 18 May 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2205231)   #23
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Were did you find me saying you should only check at the end?!?
here..
Quote:
I must say I much prefer how WTCC is doing this.

Quote:
LOL? Are you now telling me that there is even a rule in BTCC to check top performers more often then the mid field? Why would a midfield or backmarker be less likely to have improper settings then a frontrunner?
Where did I say that?
I'm saying that if any car, frontrunner or back-marker, puts in an unusually fast time then it is more likely to get pulled for a check. The race officials have a good idea of the relative performance of each car in the field and can spot when a laptime looks suspect.
Old 18 May 2008, 10:05 (Ref:2205259)   #24
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose the reason the BTCC does let people have a 'second chance' in qualifying is because there isn't a lot of cheating in the BTCC, so they don't want to come down harsh on a team who made a simple mistake with the car and set it just too low.

And no one wants to see the title race ruined because of a simple mistake by the team. It's like when a car's made to do a drive through because the team wasn't off the grid quick enough, it seems totally unfair to punish the driver.
Old 18 May 2008, 12:09 (Ref:2205394)   #25
btcckid
Racer

United Kingdom
england
btcckid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
quite a dull first race-shame for shedden though-looking forward to the next races!