Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 May 2021, 14:05 (Ref:4049627)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Round One, Thruxton 8-9 May, Races 1,2&3

The 2021 KwikFit BTCC season is finally upon us, and when the lights go out at Thruxton the grid will look a bit different to when we last saw the cars racing at Brands. In fact, the grid will look different to Media Day – with the late withdrawal of Crees from BTC Racing.

Entering the series for the first time is Rick Parfitt Jr., whilst returning to the series we have Árón Taylor-Smith, Dan Lloyd and Sam Smelt. Jason Plato is back to continue his attempt at taking 100 BTCC wins, and actually won on his last time in a touring car. But possibly the biggest shock over the winter was the departure of Dan Cammish from Team Dynamics, which means they field to returning drivers - Daniel Rowbottom and triple champion Gordon Shedden.

Nine drivers have moved teams, with the most noticeable being Ingram leaving Speedworks and Jelley returning to WSR. The final seat is still to be confirmed, with news from BTC Racing awaited.

We also have new cars to the grid – Team HARD. Will be running the Cupra León, and the VW CC, Honda FK2, A-Class, Audi S3 and BMW 125 all leaving the grid. Motorbase / MB Motorsport are now entered as a Constructor, with Team Dynamics moving to being an independent entry.

Thruxton is the first meeting on the calendar for 2021, with two visits planned during the season. Restrictions at the circuit mean that only 12 days of motorsport each year are permitted, and BTCC is taking two of them this year.

Being the first meeting, this is the only time that we see all cars running with zero ballast, and so is the clearest indicator of true pace. Thruxton is the fastest circuit on the calendar, with an average speed of 112.32mph set by Dan Cammish in 2020.

A quick glance of the site and this track began life as an airfield, with the circuit following what was essentially the airfield permiter track. The site is also the location of the BARC HQ.

(thruxtonracing.co.uk) Like many race circuits Thruxton was originally a wartime airfield. Commissioned in 1941 the airfield was host to both the RAF and USAF and played a major part in the D-Day landings as a base for troop carrying aircraft and gliders. Declared surplus to requirements in 1946, motorsport started in 1950 with motor bikes on a track comprising both the runways and perimeter roads.

Cars joined the bikes in 1952 for only one year as the deteriorating wartime tarmac was breaking up badly. Amazingly, bikes continued racing until 1965, but by then plans were under way to redevelop the site and motor racing returned on a new track in 1968. The new layout ignored the old runways and followed the lines of the perimeter road with the inclusion of the chicane and further round the track three tight corners in succession: Campbell, Cobb and Segrave, commonly referred to as the Complex.

Even with these tight corners Thruxton is the fastest race circuit in the UK, with Formula Renaults averaging well over 100mph in race conditions. Thruxton soon gained a reputation as a real drivers circuit with its seemingly never ending high speed corners around the back of the track where success required total commitment.

Thruxton's fame grew from the Easter Monday Formula 2 meetings where Formula 1 drivers of the day battled with up and coming talent. Household names like Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart and Jochen Rindt all thrilled the crowds in the early races. Since then Thruxton has seen all our recent Formula 1 drivers race regularly at the track at some time in their career.

In 1993 Damon Hill, Formula 1 World Champion, drove a demonstration run in the Williams FW15C, recording an incredible 57.6 second lap of the 2.4 mile circuit, an average speed of 147.25mph.

It is now the high speed rounds of the British Touring car championship and Superbikes that regularly bring in capacity crowds. If you follow these series you may have seen Thruxton on the television or even lapped the circuit on the Playstation Touring Car game, but as always there is nothing like doing it for real.

Thruxton first appeared as a BTCC [BSCC] circuit for the 1968 season, winners that day were Chris Craft (Class A), Graham Janzen (Class B), Frank Gardner (Class C) and Brian Muir (Class D). Since the cars began to run under NGTC regulations, the track has seen a good return for FWD cars, particularly Hondas. From the 2011 season onwards, there have been 33 winners; of these only 5 wins have been taken by RWD cars, and of these two were in race-3 reverse grids. At the same time, 16 wins have been taken by Hondas, with Shedden picking up six wins followed by Neal (5) and Cook (4). In 2020, Ingram took wins in race 1 and 2. On form, it should be an interesting challenge between Ingram and Shedden for opening-day honours.

Coverage is once again provided by ITV. Qualifying is scheduled to be on the ITV Hub at www.itv.com/btcc from 14:35, with the Sunday coverage starting at 10:50 on ITV4. The full timetable can be found at - https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...ruxton_V2.docx

Early weather forecast shows that Saturday is forecast to be 15deg with a 65% chance of rain, windy with periods of rain.

Sunday 15deg and 60% chance of rain, a passing shower or two.
Old 4 May 2021, 15:20 (Ref:4049644)   #2
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the intro. Here are some predictions of mine:

Race 1 - Gordon Shedden starts on pole position from Rory Butcher and Josh Cook, and leads at the start, but Butcher eventually overtakes to get the first win of the year. Shedden and Cook complete the podium.

Race 2 - The leaders struggle with the extra ballast compared to 2020, and from the lower end of the top ten, Ash Sutton puts in a storming drive to win the race. Shedden second again, with Turkington fighting through to third.

Race 3 - Josh Cook starts on pole position after fading in race two. He gets passed at the start by Chilton's BMW, but repasses him on lap two to win the race. Chilton and Morgan complete the podium, but Shedden leaves Thruxton as the championship leader after three strong races. Power Maxed also impress with both Plato and Lloyd getting top tens. Ingram also gets three strong results, while the Cupras are quick but unreliable.
Old 4 May 2021, 17:08 (Ref:4049669)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Can’t believe we’re already in May. I wasn’t sure if it was this weekend or next weekend it started, until I bought the Radio Times today. Look forward to it, although it’s not always easy watching 7 hours on your own!
Old 4 May 2021, 21:18 (Ref:4049723)   #4
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
So it's going to be wet and chilly. Advantage Sheds and Butcher then

I reckon Goffy might be at the sharp end from the off, surprise a few of the HARD knockers.

So there's my race winners. Unless of course the Ten Tenths backed BTC car driven by Stevie Wonder is on the grid...
Old 4 May 2021, 21:39 (Ref:4049727)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
So it's going to be wet and chilly. Advantage Sheds and Butcher then

I reckon Goffy might be at the sharp end from the off, surprise a few of the HARD knockers.

So there's my race winners. Unless of course the Ten Tenths backed BTC car driven by Stevie Wonder is on the grid...
BTC are entering a Kia?
Old 5 May 2021, 06:57 (Ref:4049759)   #6
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
BTC are entering a Kia?
Yeah. I've got the Volvo decals here ready for sticking on prior to qualy

Also got some Neal stickers for the windows
Old 5 May 2021, 09:42 (Ref:4049790)   #7
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a sniff of any idea who’s landed the BTC Racing seat is there? Usually on here there’s someone ‘in the know’.

Could it be that they haven’t actually penned a deal with a driver as yet?

I’m thinking Bobby T or Senna Proctor, perhaps.....if there’s a deal. But pure speculation on my part. Both of them pretty silent on Social Media.

The latest driver announcement for Race 1 of a BTCC season ever?
Old 5 May 2021, 11:42 (Ref:4049810)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...05-05-2021.pdf
Entry list (version 1) up on BARC website. No sign of a third BTC Honda.

Decent grid for Ginettas and Minis
Old 5 May 2021, 11:47 (Ref:4049811)   #9
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...05-05-2021.pdf
Entry list (version 1) up on BARC website. No sign of a third BTC Honda.

Decent grid for Ginettas and Minis
And the two MINI races a few weeks back at Snetterton were cracking - so they’ll be well worth a watch this weekend...
Old 5 May 2021, 13:04 (Ref:4049839)   #10
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
slummingangel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millvi View Post
Not a sniff of any idea who’s landed the BTC Racing seat is there? Usually on here there’s someone ‘in the know’.

Could it be that they haven’t actually penned a deal with a driver as yet?

I’m thinking Bobby T or Senna Proctor, perhaps.....if there’s a deal. But pure speculation on my part. Both of them pretty silent on Social Media.

The latest driver announcement for Race 1 of a BTCC season ever?
Dan Cammish has just been announced as BTC's Guest Driver for the weekend
Old 5 May 2021, 13:12 (Ref:4049843)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The final seat is still to be confirmed, with news from BTC Racing awaited.
[...]
On form, it should be an interesting challenge between Ingram and Shedden for opening-day honours.
BTC's guest driver has emerged to challenge the predicted favourites.

I think it is a fair assumption to read '[BTC] continues to evaluate drivers for its third car' as being 'BTC try and find a driver with budget'?

Could that budget come in the form of a Team Dynamics cheque for the TBL?
Old 5 May 2021, 14:21 (Ref:4049858)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Whatever it is, it’s just great to have Cammish back, even if it’s only temporary for the moment
Old 5 May 2021, 15:17 (Ref:4049864)   #13
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
And the two MINI races a few weeks back at Snetterton were cracking - so they’ll be well worth a watch this weekend...
The Mini race at Thruxton last year was genuinely one of the most exciting races I have ever seen!
Old 5 May 2021, 15:18 (Ref:4049867)   #14
BTCC frog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slummingangel View Post
Dan Cammish has just been announced as BTC's Guest Driver for the weekend
Brilliant news. Will he be able to challenge for the podium?
Old 5 May 2021, 15:33 (Ref:4049875)   #15
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about those who claimed there's no reason to say it's going to be Cammish as he doesn't have funding?

Shame it's just for one round but you can't everything. Will be nice to see him around this weekend.
Old 6 May 2021, 11:20 (Ref:4050012)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It looks like rain will play a part at some point this weekend. This is looking like it could be the coldest, wettest May ever looking at the forecast. Mind you it looks like most of Europe is pretty chilly. I went on May holidays frequently in years gone by to Spain and Italy and had 30C without any issue, right now those same places are struggling to reach 20C.

Hopefully its not a repeat of the loathesome 2012 summer, when it rained non stop for 3 months.
Old 6 May 2021, 14:05 (Ref:4050060)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
It looks like rain will play a part at some point this weekend. This is looking like it could be the coldest, wettest May ever looking at the forecast. Mind you it looks like most of Europe is pretty chilly. I went on May holidays frequently in years gone by to Spain and Italy and had 30C without any issue, right now those same places are struggling to reach 20C.

Hopefully its not a repeat of the loathesome 2012 summer, when it rained non stop for 3 months.
The weather is really struggling to make it's mind at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the BTCC races is affected by rain

And yes I remember 2012, when they announced a hosepipe ban, then we had non stop rain!
Old 8 May 2021, 09:04 (Ref:4050279)   #18
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I am hoping that Cammish gets a win and then gets the drive for the season.
Old 8 May 2021, 10:26 (Ref:4050298)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

It could be like Gio in 2010. Dominate the opening weekend and then never appear for the rest of the season. And funnily enough that was the last time the BTCC season started at Thruxton
Old 8 May 2021, 11:56 (Ref:4050310)   #20
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shedden already back to form
Old 8 May 2021, 12:07 (Ref:4050312)   #21
BTCC frog
Veteran

2021 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – Free Practice 1 – Thruxton

1 Ashley SUTTON (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +1:20.041
2 Josh COOK (GBR) BTC Racing +0.049s
3 Jake HILL (GBR) MB Motorsport accelerated by Blue Square +0.610s
4 Gordon SHEDDEN (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +0.775s
5 Jason PLATO (GBR) Aridan Flux with Power Maxed Racing +1.040s
6 Aiden MOFFAT (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +1.101s
7 Rory BUTCHER (GBR) Toyota Gazoo Racing UK +1.184
8 Tom OLIPHANT (GBR) Team BMW +1.218s
9 Dan CAMMISH (GBR) BTC Racing +1.244s
10 Daniel ROWBOTTOM (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +1.261s
11 Tom INGRAM (GBR) Ginsters EXCELR8 with TradePriceCars.com +1.622s
12 Ollie JACKSON (GBR) MB Motorsport accelerated by Blue Square +1.654s
13 Daniel LLOYD (GBR) Aridan Flux with Power Maxed Racing +1.696s
14 Colin TURKINGTON (GBR) Team BMW +1.850s
15 Andy NEATE (GBR) Racing with Wera & Photon Group +2.273s
16 Adam MORGAN (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +2.523s
17 Jade EDWARDS (GBR) PHSC with BTC Racing +2.574s
18 Glynn GEDDIE (GBR) Team HARD. with Autobrite Direct +2.814s
19 Stephen JELLEY (GBR) Team BMW +3.055ss
20 Carl BOARDLEY (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +3.217s
21 Jack GOFF (GBR) Team HARD. with Autobrite Direct +3.228s
22 Chris SMILEY (GBR) Ginsters EXCELR8 with TradePriceCars.com +3.232s
23 Árón TAYLOR-SMITH (IRL) Team HARD. with HUB Financial Solutions +3.504s
24 Sam OSBORNE (GBR) Racing with Wera & Photon Group +3.754s
25 Sam SMELT (GBR) Toyota Gazoo Racing UK +4.006s
26 Rick PARFITT (GBR) EXCELR8 with TradePriceCars.com +4.613s
27 Nicolas HAMILTON (GBR) ROKiT Racing with iQuoto Online Trading +5.633s
28 Jack BUTEL (GBR) EXCELR8 with TradePriceCars.com +5.956s
29 Tom CHILTON (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport NO TIME
Old 8 May 2021, 14:18 (Ref:4050330)   #22
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
And there we are - the season is underway.
First pole goes to Sutton
Cook second and Turkington third.

Top 5 all different cars.
Old 8 May 2021, 14:19 (Ref:4050331)   #23
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Just watching qualy. Plato has not changed his spots.
Old 8 May 2021, 14:19 (Ref:4050332)   #24
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
time to start the RWD being penalizised thing ?
Old 8 May 2021, 14:19 (Ref:4050333)   #25
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a waster Plato is.