Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Jan 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1507140)   #1
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reynard 90D no. 18 history

Does anyone know anything about Reynard 90D chassis number 018.

I'm told it was driven by Alain Plasch (Belgian?) for GJ Motorsports (British?), who were presumably the first owners.

Does anyone have entry lists (with chassis numbers)?

Any other information, (which engine did it originally have)??

Thank you
Peter
Old 23 Jan 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1507203)   #2
Adam Ferrington
Racer

Adam Ferrington should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter,

Reynard 90D 018 was driven by Eddie Irvine for Eddie Jordan in 1990 F3000.
In 1991 it was run in British F3000 by GJ Motorsport, for Giovanna Amati and Dave Coyne.
I have some entry lists for these appearances.
Is your e-mail still the same as when we last corresponded 18 months ago?
Old 23 Jan 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1507340)   #3
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ferrington
Peter,

Reynard 90D 018 was driven by Eddie Irvine for Eddie Jordan in 1990 F3000.
In 1991 it was run in British F3000 by GJ Motorsport, for Giovanna Amati and Dave Coyne.
I have some entry lists for these appearances.
Is your e-mail still the same as when we last corresponded 18 months ago?
Adam

That sounds like good news!

Yes my e-mail address is still the same (peter.morley@pandora.be)
Fax number is 00 322 306 6445 if that is preferable.

Thank you very much
Peter
Old 23 Jan 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1507353)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Peter,

GJ Motorsport was a combination of Graham and Jim Warren the latter who'd previously had a title success 'as' Bromley Motorsport in Euro 3000 in '88 with a guy called Ron Salt in Staffs and driven by Moreno. One of the Warren's later ran the works Mygale squad in Formula Ford that propelled a certain Jenson Button onto stardom!

I recall Plasch, indeed a Belgain (who'd graduated from a reasonably good year in European Formula Opel against the likes of Barrichello, De Ferran, DC, Sospiri and a Spanish guy Lopez) driving a GJ 90D possibly with a Nicholson DFV, in early rounds of Brit 3000 in '91 but he didn't complete the season for some reason and was never seen again.

Coyne also ran for GJ in that series (and may have taken over Plasch' seat) sponsored by Pyrford (and there was also a bit of Camel on the roll hoop) and was quite competitive with a dominant display at a Thruxton round i think? GJ entered him in the Brands Hatch Euro round in August that year (qual 14th) but shunted hard early in that race. I have no idea if it was with this particular chassis.

He was a bit slower after that in the Brit series, but they traced the fault to a cracked tub or something? It'll be worth confirming with someone if that was your car or another one.

I remember reading something about it having a cracked tub or anti roll stuff?

Hope this is a bit of useful history!
Old 23 Jan 2006, 14:40 (Ref:1507359)   #5
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
He was a bit slower after that in the Brit series, but they traced the fault to a cracked tub or something? It'll be worth confirming with someone if that was your car or another one.

I remember reading something about it having a cracked tub or anti roll stuff?

Hope this is a bit of useful history!
That is certainly some useful history.

And I will certainly have a look for a cracked tub (not sure how, but definitely something to check!!) - that could be an explanation if it really did nothing afterwards.

Thanks very much
Peter
Old 23 Jan 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1507377)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
No problems Peter,

I really have too much info stuffed in my head!! But i was mad keen, probably more than today on that level of racing and the '91 season was the only real decent year of Brit 3000. With the likes of the late Paul Warwick, Fred Ekblom, Julian Westwood, Richard Dean and Mr Coyne all good drivers competing, it was worth watching developments quite closely. Was fitting end to the season that Jason Elliott, who took over Paul's drive did enough to protect the points lead he'd built up over Ekblom, who had been his only consistent challenger.

If it is the same chassis, i doubt there'll be any legacy of that Brands shunt, I seem to recall that the performance issue, whatever it was, was fixed late in the season, but not in time for Coyne top recover suitable pace in Brit series. Like i say, it was either a tub (likely) or something to do with roll bars or some other stability issue.

Coyne was interviewed in an issue of Motor Sport last year (unsure of exact month) and it had some reference to the period in there?

I don't know what happened to the car at the end of 1991, i don't recall it competing in the less competitive and less subscribed '92 series.
Old 23 Jan 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1507431)   #7
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
No problems Peter,

I really have too much info stuffed in my head!! But i was mad keen, probably more than today on that level of racing and the '91 season was the only real decent year of Brit 3000. With the likes of the late Paul Warwick, Fred Ekblom, Julian Westwood, Richard Dean and Mr Coyne all good drivers competing, it was worth watching developments quite closely. Was fitting end to the season that Jason Elliott, who took over Paul's drive did enough to protect the points lead he'd built up over Ekblom, who had been his only consistent challenger.

If it is the same chassis, i doubt there'll be any legacy of that Brands shunt, I seem to recall that the performance issue, whatever it was, was fixed late in the season, but not in time for Coyne top recover suitable pace in Brit series. Like i say, it was either a tub (likely) or something to do with roll bars or some other stability issue.

Coyne was interviewed in an issue of Motor Sport last year (unsure of exact month) and it had some reference to the period in there?

I don't know what happened to the car at the end of 1991, i don't recall it competing in the less competitive and less subscribed '92 series.
Just looking at the names of the Brit F3000 series drivers it must have been a pretty serious championship.

I should find out more about it this week, but it seems to have come to Belgium at the end of the season, presumably some connection with the Belgian driver.

Thanks
Peter
Old 23 Jan 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1507591)   #8
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are you planning to do with the car ? Is it race ready at the moment or are you in the process of a rebuild ?
If this is the same car that Dave Coyne raced in the British series it went very well at the beginning of the season ( i think). I saw the series race at Oulton when poor Paul Warwick lost his life.
Old 23 Jan 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1507607)   #9
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://uk.geocities.com/unofficialf3...shf3000_91.htm

It appears Coyne and Plasch were both present at most rounds, Plasch was never really on the pace and Coyne was quick straight away after taking over the Amati seat. No chassis numbers, unfortunately. Although Coyne finished 2nd to Warwick by only a second or so at Brands on his debut, I don't recall it being a close race - it was a long time ago, tho, so I could well be very wrong.

Paul Warwick's Cosworth was a Langford Peck unit, but can't find any more specific info on the GJ cars.

A quick google brought up this picture - http://www.thruxton.f9.co.uk/pics/pa...000/pjw_08.jpg
Old 24 Jan 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1507992)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Some interesting additional info there Teej!

Certainly plugged a few gaps in my memory and it'll give Peter some more to look up!

I could've swore that Plasch packed in the series in after the first 2 or 3 rounds, perhaps he came back with bit more money?

Anyway, i've dug out some old media guides and reports and yes it was Amati's seat that Coyne took over as she dovetailed a small campaign with a 'fullish' European season with GJ, (she may have driven for other outfits as well though?) who had always planned to enter 2 cars, but did the Brit series as well.

The team ran Nicholson tuned DFV's according to programmes and guides.
Old 24 Jan 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1508029)   #11
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Certainly plugged a few gaps in my memory
Same here. I made the Brands May / June round for a few years in a row, and it's good to bring back some memories of those who went on to greater (or lesser) things. I wish i knew where I'd put the programmes, as I remember there being some cracking support races, but not what series they were.

I have one question of my own - who was "Gimax Jr"? Any thoughts?
Old 24 Jan 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1508056)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yeah, know how you feel, i've got a lot stuffed away in boxes and bags in the garage or loft!

In those days support races were lot more varied than now weren't they? None of this fixed 'programmes of 2 lead series, a one make, a single seater and a sportscar event!

I remember going to 2 or 3 rounds of the 1991 series. One of thw 2 Donington meetings at end of April also featured BTCC, Northern Sports/Saloons, Historic Saloons, MG's, road saloons, regional Formula Ford, and Formula Renault i think, plus another 3 or 4 events.

Gimax Jnr i believe is the son of Gimax who competed in British F1 and F2 i the 70's and early 80's. 'Jnr' was entered in a Terropol Lola (then owned by former Brit F3 class B runner Guido Basile) wasn't he?
Old 25 Jan 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1508631)   #13
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Some interesting additional info there Teej!

Certainly plugged a few gaps in my memory and it'll give Peter some more to look up!
Too true - just off to do some more research.

Thanks to everyone.

Peter
Old 26 Jan 2006, 08:25 (Ref:1509276)   #14
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:

Just got this story:

Apparently Plasch crashed the original car and bought this one and did the last 3 races with it.
It was using a leased Nicholson McLaren engine so they took the engine back and the car came to Belgium, where it was sold to someone who kept it until now.

So it is exactly as it last raced except for the engine and has only ever done 3 races.

Oddly the chassis plate just says 018 not 90D-018, that could presumably be due to it being a replacement chassis?

Peter
Old 26 Jan 2006, 08:30 (Ref:1509281)   #15
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart
What are you planning to do with the car ? Is it race ready at the moment or are you in the process of a rebuild ?
If this is the same car that Dave Coyne raced in the British series it went very well at the beginning of the season ( i think). I saw the series race at Oulton when poor Paul Warwick lost his life.
No idea what to do with it - trying to negotiate a realistic price at the moment.

Cosworth engine costs mean it would be nice to find a Mugen or Judd installation kit, that would make getting it running far more viable. But it appears most the cars and spares went to Australia, so they are pretty scarce in Europe.

Having worked in F3000 in 86 means I know a little (and I mean a little!) about these cars, it is a pretty simple car that would almost be a sensible car to use (if any racing car is ever sensible!).

Peter
Old 26 Jan 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1509317)   #16
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yes, a lot of spares would be in Australia
Old 26 Jan 2006, 12:49 (Ref:1509394)   #17
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Double Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley
Just got this story:

Apparently Plasch crashed the original car and bought this one and did the last 3 races with it.
It was using a leased Nicholson McLaren engine so they took the engine back and the car came to Belgium, where it was sold to someone who kept it until now.

So it is exactly as it last raced except for the engine and has only ever done 3 races.

Oddly the chassis plate just says 018 not 90D-018, that could presumably be due to it being a replacement chassis?

Peter
Try looking down inside the footwell on the underside of the top surface. There should be a large number in white which is the factory tub number. This might help in the final solution of the actual chassis number.

Old 26 Jan 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1509458)   #18
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Try looking down inside the footwell on the underside of the top surface. There should be a large number in white which is the factory tub number. This might help in the final solution of the actual chassis number.

Thanks for that - will do so asap.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 10:03 (Ref:3221076)   #19
rdmotorsport
Rookie

rdmotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gj motorsport/reynard

I appreciate this is a very old thread but considering I have only just join ten-tenths you will have to forgive my tardy reply.
I was the commercial manager at GJ at the time and it is correct the chassis were purchased from EJR one the ex Alesi the othe Irvine plus a spare, the condition of Alesi car was not that good but this became the spare and later driven by Amati,Alain Plasch had the choice of chassis due to his good sponsorship , which turned out not so good and this stopped him racing I brought Amati to the team and her money lasted longer. The deal with EJR was if we were to purchase the 3 chassis plus some spares plus the ex Leyton House transporter from him he would recipracate by giving us a good sponsored driver, this was agreed but alas, the driver was Alain Plasch.
I left mid season to work in the States and at the end of the year saw the demise of GJ Motorsports, never knew what Graham Warren did after this although his brother Jim became famous for backing Button. I would be curious where the cars are now.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 13:02 (Ref:3221155)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Warm welcome and thanks for the very informative and interesting recollections rd!

You say one of the cars was ex Alesi, could that car have been an 89D originally then updated to 90 spec before GJ bought it then?

So Eddie Jordan reckoned he was going to supply a well heeled decent driver, and that was Alain Plasch? Plasch had looked reasonable in VLC from memory but he wasn't ready for the jump up at all.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 10:07 (Ref:3223517)   #21
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found this photo. Dave Coyne later in the year at Brands Hatch
Attached Thumbnails
Dave Coyne.jpg