Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Nov 2019, 21:48 (Ref:3938951)   #126
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
E.B sure you can give the name during "our" night time…
Old 6 Nov 2019, 21:49 (Ref:3938952)   #127
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Those drivers
Is the first one a pretend driver?
His brother was good!
OOH! John! I know the chap very well, local man you see, his late brother was very good. Pretend? Not sure I get the implication of that one.
Old 7 Nov 2019, 03:12 (Ref:3938994)   #128
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
His brother was good
I entered him in the last race he won at Spa.
Good bloke!
He used to regularly drive my cars
His best races
Winning two races at Oulton
The Guards Trophy in a 1600 cc Merlyn Mk7 and beating all comers in Alta.
All those expensive Jim Stokes engine left in dust!
The brother has not driven for me.
Old 7 Nov 2019, 08:12 (Ref:3939019)   #129
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about naming the driver in the BRM?

James Diffey ?
Old 7 Nov 2019, 08:32 (Ref:3939020)   #130
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
His brother was good
I entered him in the last race he won at Spa.
Good bloke!
He used to regularly drive my cars
His best races
Winning two races at Oulton
The Guards Trophy in a 1600 cc Merlyn Mk7 and beating all comers in Alta.
All those expensive Jim Stokes engine left in dust!
The brother has not driven for me.
John, if we are talking about Simon, he has driven for a great many people, in a wide variety of cars, and is usually pretty quick.

Are we talking about the same person?
Old 7 Nov 2019, 09:39 (Ref:3939028)   #131
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I trust that not too many of you will know these good people;
I can name most of them, even I am in one picture.
Old 7 Nov 2019, 09:58 (Ref:3939032)   #132
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Jimmy Diffey used to race my cars.
His brother never did although volunteered for drive.
Old 7 Nov 2019, 10:04 (Ref:3939034)   #133
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
I can name most of them, even I am in one picture.
Are you the pic # 1?
Old 7 Nov 2019, 10:19 (Ref:3939040)   #134
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Are you the pic # 1?
No!!
Old 7 Nov 2019, 15:49 (Ref:3939081)   #135
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Are you the pic # 1?
May pic 5 Gerry?

I reckon Picture three would make for a good caption competition. Any suggestions?
Old 7 Nov 2019, 15:51 (Ref:3939083)   #136
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
How about naming the driver in the BRM?

James Diffey ?
My reply never got submitter RB, no not James Diffey. Think more of Fangio, Hawthorn, Moss era. Quite an old man now, but really famous.
Old 7 Nov 2019, 17:40 (Ref:3939089)   #137
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
If I say "more balls than any Xmas tree", Jean Marie Maserati and BRM driver having a brother named José, is it good? I dont think so… P Collins? D Hulme!

Sorry rbs, but really happy you're not a clever robot! I thought it was you because of the cute lookin, ya no…

Last edited by Gerard C; 7 Nov 2019 at 17:52. Reason: I wanted to!
Old 7 Nov 2019, 18:24 (Ref:3939094)   #138
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Just had another look from the beginning of this thread. Fantastic pictures, answers, players, watta game you make for us Bob! In the fourth series what is car #15, please?
Old 7 Nov 2019, 19:18 (Ref:3939100)   #139
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Just had another look from the beginning of this thread. Fantastic pictures, answers, players, watta game you make for us Bob! In the fourth series what is car #15, please?
Gerry, It is a 1954 JR Allard Competition, and is fitted with a special Cadillac engine. It was raced in the US by Erwin Goldsmidt, and later owned by US General Curtis LeMay.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9333.JPG  
Old 7 Nov 2019, 19:19 (Ref:3939101)   #140
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
If I say "more balls than any Xmas tree", Jean Marie Maserati and BRM driver having a brother named José, is it good? I dont think so… P Collins? D Hulme!

Sorry rbs, but really happy you're not a clever robot! I thought it was you because of the cute lookin, ya no…
Sadly Gerard, Jean died at the Monza many years ago.
Old 7 Nov 2019, 19:27 (Ref:3939102)   #141
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Not Hulme either then…
Thanks for the Allard answer but for mom's sake how can someone know what it is and what engine sits under the bonnet? Or under the hood???
Old 7 Nov 2019, 19:33 (Ref:3939104)   #142
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Not Hulme either then…
Thanks for the Allard answer but for mom's sake how can someone know what it is and what engine sits under the bonnet? Or under the hood???
Mon Ami, what question are you referring to? I assume not the Allard, so what other car are you asking about?

Robert.
Old 7 Nov 2019, 20:19 (Ref:3939109)   #143
bauble
Veteran

England
I am happy that you enjoy these teasers I set, however, they can take a lot of time and effort to compile, rooting through old programs, and endless DVD's to find the right pictures. Then some smart pants, provides the right answer almost immediately ….grrrr!

Therefore I suggest that when you have an answer you drop me a PM, and I can acknowledge this on site, yet leave others more time to mull things over, and have their 'fun'!

So try this one; What connects these cars?
Attached Thumbnails
Britcar 24 Sat 094[1] (2).JPG   Ollie 4.JPG   Ollie 2.JPG  

Ollie 3.jpg   Ollie 1.jpg  
Old 7 Nov 2019, 20:38 (Ref:3939112)   #144
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

So try this one; What connects these cars?
PM sent.
Old 7 Nov 2019, 21:10 (Ref:3939116)   #145
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Was the Allard Dean Butlers car?
Old 7 Nov 2019, 21:45 (Ref:3939123)   #146
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Was the Allard Dean Butlers car?
Yes I'm fairly sure he drove/owned it at some point, but I no expert on current affairs.
Old 7 Nov 2019, 21:47 (Ref:3939125)   #147
bauble
Veteran

England
Two correct answers so far, it is easy if you know the cars, but difficult if you do not.
Old 8 Nov 2019, 06:41 (Ref:3939169)   #148
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mmmm my answer is that "smart pants" is equivalent to "smart ass" depending where you're sitting! Right?
Thanks for the entertaining game go on working for your mates, please. It keeps your brain busy, Mon Ami.
Old 8 Nov 2019, 08:13 (Ref:3939172)   #149
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
My reply never got submitter RB, no not James Diffey. Think more of Fangio, Hawthorn, Moss era. Quite an old man now, but really famous.
Beat you RBS!

A few clues;

A star of the Historic Forum, ace photographer, Quiz master, and all round Bighead.

Does this help?
Old 8 Nov 2019, 08:18 (Ref:3939173)   #150
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
There's only ONE! Our Robert aca bauble!!!!

How someone found a relationship between a Magnette and a Plymouth, I wonder…