Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 9 Apr 2021, 16:39 (Ref:4045316)   #1801
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes the Sprint Speciale is… special. Cant say if its a 750 or a Typo 101-20 though. May be the last one, John?
Old 9 Apr 2021, 17:19 (Ref:4045322)   #1802
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Very good pictures, Gordon, thanks a lot. May be you should take care, reading the pressure gauge shows that your kettle is… flat!
Old 9 Apr 2021, 19:01 (Ref:4045344)   #1803
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the photos and all your help Gordon . Full story tomorrow but we have had better days . Started this morning at 5 am when van would not start . Anyone else here got their Mrs up at that hour to give them a snatch . I was impressed she never moaned once .
Old 9 Apr 2021, 19:16 (Ref:4045346)   #1804
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whilst I was busy at the garage for CT this morning, Michele got 'the call' & so has had her first jab. I will have to wait until next Thursday now.

Oh, & it is AstraZeneca, which is good news. They've got quite a lot of that, apparently...
Old 9 Apr 2021, 19:23 (Ref:4045347)   #1805
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mini MM found an Instagram post from Andrew Jordan's preparation company today. Lairy Canary is having a full rebuild in very good hands. It looks like it's going to be even more stunning, if that's possible.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 9 Apr 2021, 19:27 (Ref:4045348)   #1806
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
T

Anyone else here got their Mrs up at that hour to give them a snatch . I was impressed she never moaned once .
You could have worded that better Iain
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Apr 2021, 19:31 (Ref:4045349)   #1807
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Whilst I was busy at the garage for CT this morning, Michele got 'the call' & so has had her first jab. I will have to wait until next Thursday now.

Oh, & it is AstraZeneca, which is good news. They've got quite a lot of that, apparently...
I had the AZ one and my wife had the Pfizer, the extra arm and hand that I've grown is great for working on new cars as I often want a spare hand!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Apr 2021, 20:35 (Ref:4045354)   #1808
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 9 Apr 2021, 21:01 (Ref:4045358)   #1809
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You took the words right out of my mouth Gordon!

I think if I asked SWMBO for a 'snatch' at any time of the day or night, I'd get more than just moaning... and no, not that sort of moaning either!
Old 9 Apr 2021, 21:34 (Ref:4045360)   #1810
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Iain your spelling has got a bit better over the years but your malapropisms haven't
Old 9 Apr 2021, 21:43 (Ref:4045362)   #1811
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Love that Alfa, Iain - glad to see you in a proper car

Ours (75 V6) slightly blotted its copybook today - throwing off its alternator (and waterpump) drivebelt, causing, we surmise, some localised overheating and the associated pressure blew off the hose to the expansion bottle - my mate brought it back into the pits streaming steam! Got it fettled in time for second test session and I took it out (only mildly concerned that the fuel gauge had stopped working) - it felt pretty good but partway through the rev-counter stopped working and it developed an intermittent cut-out - almost like hitting the rev-limiter but only momentary, and often nowhere near the limit.

Pulled in after 15 minutes to discuss, but thought maybe the cut-off switch could be the issue - so tried the ever-popular "turn it off and turn it on again" trick, and went out again. Didn't really do anything, but partway through the stint I noticed the rev-counter and fuel gauge were working again, although the "stutter" was still present. Hoping it'll cure itself overnight for the race tomorrow

My mate with his pretty newly-built Junior Z fared much worse - arrived for a full days test, backed the car off the trailer, turned the steering wheel, and the steering box promptly cracked, leaving him with no steering - so a full days test fee and a race fee down the tubes, not to mention a new steering box needed.

Anyone got a spare LHD steering column/box available?
Old 9 Apr 2021, 22:13 (Ref:4045364)   #1812
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

My mate with his pretty newly-built Junior Z fared much worse - arrived for a full days test, backed the car off the trailer, turned the steering wheel, and the steering box promptly cracked, leaving him with no steering - so a full days test fee and a race fee down the tubes, not to mention a new steering box needed.

At least it happened where it did, if it had happened at speed on the track it would probably have cost more than the test and entry fee !
Old 10 Apr 2021, 05:02 (Ref:4045375)   #1813
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That was the first thing that crossed my mind.... other than how gorgeous the Alfa is.
Old 10 Apr 2021, 05:11 (Ref:4045376)   #1814
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I had the AZ one and my wife had the Pfizer, the extra arm and hand that I've grown is great for working on new cars as I often want a spare hand!
Im up for the AZ Jab #1 on the 20th April. At a very precise 3:16 pm.
I could do with a extra hand around the house so all good!
Old 10 Apr 2021, 06:44 (Ref:4045378)   #1815
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Anyone got a spare LHD steering column/box available?
For the steering column I seem to remember two different boxes suppliers were used, Burman and ZF. Have a look to the Alaholic catalogue, they have brand new steering boxes machined. It should be convenient whether the Z is a 1300 or a 1600. Did they make any Z in RHD?

Last edited by Gerard C; 10 Apr 2021 at 06:49.
Old 10 Apr 2021, 06:48 (Ref:4045379)   #1816
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105...ft-hand-drive/
https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105...d-burman-type/
https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105...track-rod-kit/
See the long track rod end, between the idler box and steering box? Under heavy conditions it tends to flex we used to reinforce it. Dont ask me why…
Old 10 Apr 2021, 06:51 (Ref:4045380)   #1817
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I could do with a extra hand around the house so all good!
Single?
Old 10 Apr 2021, 06:53 (Ref:4045381)   #1818
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Single?
You know what they say about too many hands.....
Old 10 Apr 2021, 06:53 (Ref:4045382)   #1819
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I think that I need to get the media involved because I never grew the extra arm and hand after my AZ jab. So there must be something definitely wrong with the stuff. And I expect my money back from the NHS as well!
Old 10 Apr 2021, 07:05 (Ref:4045385)   #1820
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
You know what they say about too many hands
Yes, 'f course, but it seems you, English males, look pretty much worried about having an extra arm growing… Any souvenir?
Old 10 Apr 2021, 07:09 (Ref:4045386)   #1821
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
At least it happened where it did, if it had happened at speed on the track it would probably have cost more than the test and entry fee !

Back in the 80s, I borrowed a friend's Rover V8 SD1 to tow a caravan to the summer fete that we organised each year. We swapped cars the evening before, and I parked his car in the garage overnight. In the very early hours of the morning, I reversed out of the garage, and very gently rolled backwards into the road, but when I turned the steering wheel to straighten the car out to get going in the right direction, the steering just rotated without the wheels responding.

Apparently, according to the car dealership, who had sold it to my friend recently brand new, and it was still under warranty, the safety "pin" that allowed the column to collapse in the event of a front end collision had snapped for unknown reasons rendering the steering inoperative. They collected and repaired the car free, obviously.

I have always considered that that morning I had a very lucky escape, because it could have resulted in a very nasty accident, because I didn't exactly dawdle on my way to work at around half past five when the roads were empty every day.
Old 10 Apr 2021, 07:12 (Ref:4045387)   #1822
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Back in the 80s, I borrowed a friend's Rover V8 SD1 to tow a caravan to the summer fete that we organised each year
Ever considered a BX estate diesel?
Old 10 Apr 2021, 07:14 (Ref:4045388)   #1823
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Ever considered a BX estate diesel?

No!
Old 10 Apr 2021, 07:19 (Ref:4045389)   #1824
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Maxxxxxxx !
Old 10 Apr 2021, 07:41 (Ref:4045391)   #1825
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I think if I asked SWMBO for a 'snatch' at any time of the day or night, I'd get more than just moaning... and no, not that sort of moaning either!
Because of you I had to search the meaning of SWMBO and was led to squirrel! Une bien belle bête assez fascinante, je l'admets volontiers…

Is Richard racing today? All my best.