Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Jun 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2901539)   #51
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
526 FAC, is that the ex-Bill Nicholson car? I remember that from my childhood. The Bianchis eh? That explains the very nice bespoke Toora Competizione racesuits the crew were wearing.

I now know John Ruston exists, saw someone of that name in a Talbot going past.

Thankfully the biblical rain had ceased by the time I got there, we'd had nothing at Bromham just 15 miles away. After I finished work I managed to catch the second race, it all looked jolly good fun, shame the 924 Turbo went hors de combat. It drove out of the circuit sounding rough but no one seemed bothered, perhaps it's meant to sound like that!
Old 18 Jun 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2901540)   #52
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks brands! The leader board has changed since I last posted. A few 'maximums' on that Badminton stage resulting in some previous front runners dropping well back. Good luck with the weather tomorrow!
Old 18 Jun 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2901558)   #53
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thanks brands! The leader board has changed since I last posted. A few 'maximums' on that Badminton stage resulting in some previous front runners dropping well back. Good luck with the weather tomorrow!
Cars that went off first time round were 47, 43, 56, 46, 102, 60, 50, 63, 67 and 73.
Samples of 3 of the offs.

Not doing the Tour tomorrow, have orders to be near home so I'm going to a clubie at Combe.
Attached Thumbnails
bad1.jpg   bad2.jpg   bad3.jpg  

Old 19 Jun 2011, 06:43 (Ref:2901709)   #54
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A couple each from Combe, Badminton and back to Combe.

Good luck for the crews and officials on their final day.
Attached Thumbnails
tb2b.jpg   tb2c.jpg   tb2d.jpg  

tb2e.jpg   tb2f.jpg   tb2g.jpg  

Old 19 Jun 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2901946)   #55
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well done all finishers and trophy winners! 3 sets of results (provisional) here- Competition / Regularity / I of P. Commiserations to the very few teams who didn't make the finish. Sounds like the event was tough or the conditions were (maybe both!).

Look forward to some stories and reports. I'm saving up for next year!
Old 19 Jun 2011, 19:19 (Ref:2901995)   #56
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well done all finishers and trophy winners! Commiserations to the very few teams who didn't make the finish. Sounds like the event was tough or the conditions were (maybe both!).

Look forward to some stories and reports. I'm saving up for next year!
Ah, 924 Turbo retired after SS16, thought it sounded ropey as it left SS15!
Old 20 Jun 2011, 17:12 (Ref:2902473)   #57
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Colin Parkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Oops sorry! Martin driving!!

CP
Old 20 Jun 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2902487)   #58
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Parkinson View Post

Oops sorry! Martin driving!!

CP
Good pic though. How was the event for you apart from that corner?
Old 20 Jun 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2902504)   #59
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Hi Mike, we both enjoyed it, but Martin had an off at Pembrey. It was a little wet! Unfortunately we damaged the suspension, so missed the rest of the day and early Saturday. We mended the car and rejoined at Badminton, and then went off. See the pic! But at least the weather improved. I had a good race at Castle Combe as Martin did at Silverstone.
I thought the long stages at Caerwent were awesome, being an ex rally driver. But alot of (race?) drivers were not too happy.

Some issues over timing, again, and 1 stroppy marshall upset a few. Not sure about the Targa class. Only 4 entries, but gave us an excuse to have some fun in the GT3!

But as you know, a good social event with some good competition. Roll on next year, when it might be Yorkshire in September.

Colin
Old 20 Jun 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2902527)   #60
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks Colin for the inside info. Yorkshire in september 2012? As said previously, I'm saving up..... (As long as they use Olivers Mount, Otterburn, Croft & Cadwell )

Pity the Aston Martin Rally didn't enter again this year, as might have good competition for your GT3 in the class. Hat's off to the little Mazda though for an excellent effort!

Hope the GT3 isn't too battle scarred.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 19:40 (Ref:2902536)   #61
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks Colin for the inside info. Yorkshire in september 2012? As said previously, I'm saving up..... (As long as they use Olivers Mount, Otterburn, Croft & Cadwell )
Well, I knew you were keen on Overseas events Mike but isn't that stretching it a bit?

Old 20 Jun 2011, 20:00 (Ref:2902546)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Well, I knew you were keen on Overseas events Mike but isn't that stretching it a bit?

Think my passport is valid
Old 20 Jun 2011, 20:10 (Ref:2902551)   #63
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Mike, now Otterburn would be interesting! I think Croft might be a problem with the noise issue, but there is another venue who have been talking to Alec, Blyton Park in North Lincs. Old airfield with a small newly laid track. No good for racing, but with the runways, rallycross track and that, I am sure they could get a brilliant stage!

I have been to 2 track days there already to shake down a couple of cars. Brilliant for that and no noise limit!!!. No people and not a sheep in site!

GT3 needs a bit of tidying, but could have been worse
Old 20 Jun 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2902576)   #64
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
So another Tour Britannia over.

Good result,we won Regularity in 1934 Talbot and Gareth and Lee won Index in my Speedster.

Weather rubbish,we got wet endless times on Friday and Saturday.

Moving to a weekend proved to be a mistake from my point of view with lousy road traffic.Could do without the South Wales built up sections,Mountain Ash in the rain!

The regularity was poorly organised compared to previous years with speed tests being included.

Even the dimmest of organisers could foresee that a 1934 Talbot is not as quick through cones as a MG Midget or Lotus Elan.Seems the regularity people tell me that competitors want this.Don't believe them.GTO Ferrari ,DB4GT missing cones ,looks stupid.

As far as I am concerned the Tour Britannia needs to be a Tour Auto type event rather than a typical British Rally.

Back to weekdays and Central England where you reach all parts of country

If not leave it to rest of you.Jury out.Five out of Ten rather than usual eight/nine
Old 21 Jun 2011, 04:49 (Ref:2902673)   #65
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Interesting to read your observations regarding the changes, John. I can see the weekend format bringing traffic problems but the event attracted quite a lot more competitors than last year (despite clashing with Porto) so perhaps that was a positive move for some people. I assume it also allowed the organisers to 'slot in' to scheduled race and speed meetings. Maybe it required routes to avoid 'sunday driver' areas!

Can see your point about including speed tests in Regularity. Looking at the entry list suggests that a big proportion of competitors were assuming a 'Tour Auto' so will be interesting to hear other comments from both sides.

Shame about the weather, it rained on arrival day & first day last year and that was early September so just unlucky I guess. Thinking about previous few years weather patterns maybe event needs to be April or October!

I think a lot of us are hoping for a more central / East biased route next year, so fingers crossed.

Congratulations on your victory anyway!
Old 21 Jun 2011, 07:14 (Ref:2902703)   #66
midgetman
Veteran

Slotting into race meetings is a big mistake for the host. The Combe forums are buzzing with complaints, long periods of no track action, then just old cars parading round. Not as much excitement generated in the general public as we like to think, even the racing was poorly accepted.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 07:38 (Ref:2902714)   #67
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Slotting into race meetings is a big mistake for the host. The Combe forums are buzzing with complaints, long periods of no track action, then just old cars parading round. Not as much excitement generated in the general public as we like to think, even the racing was poorly accepted.
I can't imagine that TB slotting into existing meetings was done for any other reason than convenience. The Hosts presumably got some extra revenue but from spectator point of view I guess Regularity participants on track would mean very little. The races being very much 'allcomers' would probably not be very exciting to watch either with big performance differentials?
Old 21 Jun 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2902741)   #68
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Coombe races were good but started before any of the spectators arrived.A Speedster in front of a Cobra and stuff like that in the rain.

The Regularity runners saw very little point in going back to Coombe to do a demonstration lap(that became laps) behind a pace car.I got bored and led them off the track after what seemed, following a pace car ,ever.Wonder if Pace Car is still going.

Bottom line is the event misses the input of Fred Gallagher and John Davenport as Alec Poole can't catch all the balls all the time and there were a lot to catch.

Pity but back to basis next year or turn it into another Three Castles for Dads and there Doris.
It is tough and but still shorter days than Tour Auto and many more competitive tests per day.

My position,Speed Tests in Regularities and I will miss seventh edition!Pity
Old 21 Jun 2011, 09:01 (Ref:2902744)   #69
midgetman
Veteran

What went on in the afternoon then John? There were cars haring round the track and commentators vailiantly trying to make sense of it. Was it a special stage? Whatever, it didn't float the locals' boat!
Old 21 Jun 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2902750)   #70
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
The morning run, which we missed, was a stage. The afternoon in brilliant sunshine was 2 races. I wasnt watching as I was driving, and it looked good fun from where I was sat!

We bumped into a couple of season ticket holders at a petrol station, and they said they really enjoyed seeing something different, and asked if we were going again next year.

So there must be different views on it?

John I think you will find there was an incredible amount of input from Fred. I believe there are political reasions why he was not at the forefront. Other than that I cannot comment.

As far as JD is concerned, I am actually not sure what he did. Was he PR? I think the new guy is doing alot more to get publicity!!

John, by the way, congratulations on your win!

CP
Old 21 Jun 2011, 10:08 (Ref:2902768)   #71
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The two comp grids did a wet special stage at Coombe in morning and dry race in afternoon.Why regularity went back to Coombe in afternoon to go round in circles don't know.

Fred was in regularity and the event missed his direct input.Can't see him agreeing to the speed test nonsense.He did have some input and we won his quiz!

Fred and JD put the polish on the sporting aspect.That was missing this year.

Back to basics.

More cars this year but will the better ones return unless there are changes from this year .Doubt it.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2902774)   #72
midgetman
Veteran

>>>>>>>>We bumped into a couple of season ticket holders at a petrol station, and they said they really enjoyed seeing something different, and asked if we were going again next year.

Yes, it's always the vociferous ones who get on Forums isn't it? Always easier to knock than praise.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2902781)   #73
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I have spent the last six years telling the world that its a superb event usually on here and am responsible for many of those fancy cars turning up this year.

See no problem in pointing out it was not as good as usual this year.Should also say that it was at least as good as this years Tour Auto and as well organised but I am judging it from its own high standard set in previous years

Sure it can iron out imperfections.

We will be back if difficulties are sorted

Old 21 Jun 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2902838)   #74
midgetman
Veteran

John, I meant the knockers on the Combe Forums. They can be a bit tiresome...............
Old 21 Jun 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2902861)   #75
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Fred Gallagher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Parkinson View Post
John I think you will find there was an incredible amount of input from Fred. I believe there are political reasions why he was not at the forefront. Other than that I cannot comment.
CP
I was extremely busy in 2010 with WRC events and projects in Jordan, Indonesia and Wales and didn't give Alec the amount of back up he and the event deserved. Hence we agreed that I would step back for this year's event and my only input was setting the trivia quiz for Saturday's dinner.

Not wanting the gossip mongerers to think there had been a fall out we decided I would compete in my Aprilia. I had a great time!

I'm sure in the coming days Alec and I will sit down and see what kind of help I can give for the 2012 event to make JR and all the others even happier.

Fred