Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Apr 2011, 20:13 (Ref:2860658)   #1
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Pau 14th/15th May.

Me, Grant and Compte will be at Pau. Anyone else going,
Old 8 Apr 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2860659)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I'm going the following weekend for the IF3. Never been to Pau, can't wait.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2861356)   #3
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
I'm going the following weekend for the IF3. Never been to Pau, can't wait.
I co-drove with Iain in a Gentlemen Drivers long(er) distance race a few years ago. Iain is the Pau Meister. But ,notwithstanding my contribution, Iain won! It is a track that everybody has to drive before they die. One of the true greats.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 15:13 (Ref:2861383)   #4
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Iain had to serve a drive-through penalty there.

...or am I thinking of Spa?

...or maybe both?
Old 10 Apr 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2861475)   #5
Christian Devereux
Rookie

United Kingdom
London W4
Christian Devereux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Me, Grant and Compte will be at Pau. Anyone else going,
My entry is in for the 2 x 25 min Appx K Mini races. Should be fun...
Old 13 Apr 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2862980)   #6
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Devereux View Post
My entry is in for the 2 x 25 min Appx K Mini races. Should be fun...
That will be brilliant to watch round the streets. I am getting excited already!
Old 19 Apr 2011, 10:32 (Ref:2866370)   #7
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
Has anybody any idea what time and on what day they are letting the trucks into the paddock for Pau?
Old 24 Apr 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2869207)   #8
Christian Devereux
Rookie

United Kingdom
London W4
Christian Devereux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hmm, well I managed to stuff the mini into the (too close) armco at Palmer (T3 new Snett), so now have a job on our hands to get it straightened for Pau.
Hit the barriers at a fair tilt side on LHS, enough to crack wheels, whack every panel and bend front subframe....
And it has just had a bare shell rebuild, so I'm popular.
1st proper shunt in 3 years, but somehow that doesn't make it any better.
Damn.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 08:00 (Ref:2869385)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Good luck getting it sorted for Pau, Christian. Now I appreciate your post about the infield kerbs at Snet on 6hr thread. Apologies, I didn't realise it was your Mini that hit the barrier. Saw the skid marks though when went out for last race.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2870124)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The normal kerbs are inside the ARMCO.

Interesting!
Old 1 May 2011, 09:46 (Ref:2872331)   #11
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
I have just heard that trucks can get in from 4pm on Thursday. IsGrant still going with the Delta Team?
Old 2 May 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2873080)   #12
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Not ben toPau for a couple of years.Just reading final distructions and seems to be differant format in paddock with tents for all the cars. Anyone been recently can advise please. BTW dont suppose they have any showers yet. Me and Grant are thinking about rigging up a MASH type shower.
Old 3 May 2011, 13:55 (Ref:2873535)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Not ben toPau for a couple of years.Just reading final distructions and seems to be differant format in paddock with tents for all the cars. Anyone been recently can advise please. BTW dont suppose they have any showers yet. Me and Grant are thinking about rigging up a MASH type shower.
Shower idea is in the planning but requires that certain sharing attributes (as per the famous MASH episode) may be available - otherwise it hardly seems worth the effort.

I found a video on YouTube that seem to explain the more interesting arrangements about the tented paddock, the industrial parking area across the road and how stuff is moved between the two.

This was 2009 so I assume it is the same this year.
Old 3 May 2011, 14:00 (Ref:2873540)   #14
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
I have just heard that trucks can get in from 4pm on Thursday. IsGrant still going with the Delta Team?
I think that's what I read in the finals (or somewhere).

I'm sure it will all be a lot of fun - judging by the video posted previously.

I especially like the concept of the road that separates the parking from the paddock (and indeed the factory area used for parking it seemed) being open for 'business'. That should add nicely to the atmosphere!

You will need to watch both parts of the video to get the full effect iirc.
Old 4 May 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2874177)   #15
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I think that's what I read in the finals (or somewhere).

I'm sure it will all be a lot of fun - judging by the video posted previously.

I especially like the concept of the road that separates the parking from the paddock (and indeed the factory area used for parking it seemed) being open for 'business'. That should add nicely to the atmosphere!

You will need to watch both parts of the video to get the full effect iirc.
Seems to have gone quiet here. If people have gone AWOL looking for the second video I fear I may have misremembered and there may not be one. There are many others though.

On the other hand if the jeeps and their escapades are giving cause for second thoughts ...

I noted what looked like 2 or 3 portaloos in the industrial paddock area. May be enough if we avoid curry (and local seafood, just in case.)

The shower idea, on the other hand, could be a money spinner if we can find enough water. There seems to be a river of some sort nearby- maybe take a pump along? IR should have good expertise to make that work.

Anyone got a spare (working) Green Goddess?
Old 5 May 2011, 06:47 (Ref:2874355)   #16
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anyone got a spare (working) Green Goddess?
Yes - but it would have needed to set off for Pau on Boxing Day to stand a chance of arriving on time...
Old 5 May 2011, 06:51 (Ref:2874357)   #17
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And all storage areas filled with fuel.
Old 5 May 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2874391)   #18
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It is a track that everybody has to drive before they die.
I had a tentative drive in Legends the following weekend, but in the end it was far too expensive and I had to let it go (final straw was when I learnt the sequential shift was the opposite way to my road car - I could see myself blowing several engines with a mis-shift...).

Is it bi-annually now? And any good contacts for a drive in the historics there next time...?
Old 6 May 2011, 16:00 (Ref:2875412)   #19
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
Grant, that was most helpful. The road that they have to cross is the track and for Iain's benefit it looks to me as if the trucks etc will be parked in an industrial estate on the left as you sweep past the pits with the pits/paddock on your right.
Old 6 May 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2875471)   #20
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Ive just packed the sack barrow ,just in case.Both cars finnished.load up tomorrow,ferry booked and looking foward to having a splash in the pool.
Old 6 May 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2875520)   #21
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Grant, that was most helpful. The road that they have to cross is the track and for Iain's benefit it looks to me as if the trucks etc will be parked in an industrial estate on the left as you sweep past the pits with the pits/paddock on your right.
Yep. Thats the last left turn onto the last bridge before the hairpin right (Roundabout in normal times) at the end of the pits straight. The main parking area for the trucks and trailers seems to be, in effect, behind the grandstand.

Where the truck follows attempts to follow the quad into the paddock area seems to be the pit lane exit. Hence the parked cars I suppose.

I assume the road is actually closed when the racing is on ... I know things can be different when abroad. Especially with Safety Cars and the like.
Old 7 May 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2876170)   #22
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Click image for larger version

Name:	Delta workshop May 2011 T80 and FJ Lotus 22 Hew's car 001.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	32583Click image for larger version

Name:	Delta workshop May 2011 T80 and FJ Lotus 22 Hew's car 002.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	32584
My Lotus ready for the off too Pau and Comte's Volpini nearly readyDont panic!!!!.
Old 7 May 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2876435)   #23
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Attachment 32583Attachment 32584
My Lotus ready for the off too Pau and Comte's Volpini nearly readyDont panic!!!!.
Hang on, yesterday you said both cars were finished. On what sense were you using the word 'finished'?

Old 8 May 2011, 05:56 (Ref:2876570)   #24
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Last minuit diff change on the Volpini. "Dont worry dear"
Old 8 May 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2876856)   #25
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
Grant,

You are absolutely right. That is the pit exit.

There are a number of concerns:

1. If you unload your car in the truck area you seem to need to get a maniac in a jeep to tow you on a rope across the traffic on a busy public road in order to get to the tented display area. Only if France.

2. How do you "just pop back to the wagon" to get something you have forgotten once racing has started? Please remember the tea,milk and sugar are kept in the truck!