Old 3 Apr 2011, 08:53 (Ref:2857667)   #101
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post

Like my comment about Lewis' Mansell reference. Can people be allowed to express something without someone taking something out of it that was never intended.
Im not sure what exactly are you talking about, are you? Who did take and exactly what did they take that was never intended? Lewis' Mansell reference clearly suggestests that he rates Alonso more than he does Vettel (and actually rate Mansell more than Vettel, to go word by word). That's not taking something out that was never intended, thats precisely what he said.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 09:43 (Ref:2857692)   #102
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is that really what he said, though?

It wouldn't be the first time a "journalist" took something completely out of proportion by twisting and bending what someone said, especially with high profile people like Hamilton/Alonso/Vettel/Etc.

You don't think they would do this with the likes of Karthikeyan, right?
Ofcourse not, who cares about Narain Karthikeyan?
Old 3 Apr 2011, 10:33 (Ref:2857782)   #103
jobdone
Racer

jobdone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Both Lewis's lady and Fernando's wife are pop singers, so perhaps they can duet?
Possibly, but surely they would end up scrapping over who gets more time with the microphone, or who gets to sing first etc...
Old 3 Apr 2011, 10:42 (Ref:2857803)   #104
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
His mom for a start Besides, you would think The Guardian send the final version to Lewis' management before publishing it, thats common practice, but there is something cute about people who are so inboard that they KNOW whats up, and the KNOW what Hamilton's original intentions were. They read inbeetwen the lines and of course they got angry when someone reads the actual lines. They have a gift that others dont .... for the time being (before I obtain this magic gift and/or befriend Lewis) I will just go with what I read and assume that the parts inbetween quotation marks are actual quotations most of the times.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2857951)   #105
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Is that really what he said, though?

It wouldn't be the first time a "journalist" took something completely out of proportion by twisting and bending what someone said, especially with high profile people like Hamilton/Alonso/Vettel/Etc.

You don't think they would do this with the likes of Karthikeyan, right?
They are Hamilton's quotes. If he didn't say that, then it would be no problem to prove otherwise if the conversation had been recorded, which they generally are.

You could say that his quotes might have been taken out of context, but the context seem to be pretty well defined.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 15:29 (Ref:2858044)   #106
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just think most people are too gullible to instantly believe everything the media tells them.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 15:38 (Ref:2858054)   #107
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I just think most people are too gullible to instantly believe everything the media tells them.
Hamilton was being interviewed. He would probably have someone or something on hand to record that interview, as would the interviewer(s). So if Hamilton had been misquoted, he would probably have said so by now.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 15:41 (Ref:2858057)   #108
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I don't think people are misinterpreting Hamilton but there's no doubt that people are putting too much weight on the words of young men who spend most of their lives answering questions and are condemned whenever something mildy off-message slips out.

So, Hamilton doesn't think Vettel is as good as himself or Alonso - big deal! People say more contentious things every day on this here forum alone.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 15:43 (Ref:2858061)   #109
ASCII Man
Veteran

Fair enough, I still wouldn't believe anything a journalist writes, especially not Autosport ones.
They're about as trustworthy as lawyers.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 15:49 (Ref:2858069)   #110
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I don't think people are misinterpreting Hamilton but there's no doubt that people are putting too much weight on the words of young men who spend most of their lives answering questions and are condemned whenever something mildy off-message slips out.
Wayne Rooney should be getting glowing reviews for his hat trick against West Ham. But instead he is getting hassle for use of 'colourful' language during a live broadcast. Is there anything he could have done in a professional way to avoid that ?

Quote:
So, Hamilton doesn't think Vettel is as good as himself or Alonso - big deal! People say more contentious things every day on this here forum alone.
No one takes much notice of what we say.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2858100)   #111
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I see no connection between Wayne Rooney swearing at a TV camera and Lewis Hamilton suggesting in an interview that one of his rivals might be slightly better than another of his rivals.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 17:08 (Ref:2858108)   #112
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
I see no connection between Wayne Rooney swearing at a TV camera and Lewis Hamilton suggesting in an interview that one of his rivals might be slightly better than another of his rivals.
They were both using a medium to express their feelings to the general public, whether intentionally or unintentionally. The connection is obvious.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 17:34 (Ref:2858123)   #113
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My god this is idiotic.

Slightly joking, cheeky comments and digs by Hamilton taken as offensive and evidence of arrogance.

Let's just ask the Mercedes drivers for their opinions, far less colourful and interesting.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2858138)   #114
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
My god this is idiotic.
On a few levels.

Quote:
Slightly joking, cheeky comments and digs by Hamilton taken as offensive and evidence of arrogance.
Were they "Slightly joking, cheeky comments and digs" ? I don't know, don't even care! But maybe Vettel does? And maybe he thinks that being thought of as being not quite up there with Mansell is a compliment? Awaiting more slightly joking, cheeky comments from Vettel.

Quote:
Let's just ask the Mercedes drivers for their opinions, far less colourful and interesting.
Maybe these German guys generally try to be less controversial?
Old 3 Apr 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2858141)   #115
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marbot I fail to understand which side of the argument you are championing.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 18:28 (Ref:2858144)   #116
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Anyone else think we analyse driver quotes a little too much?
Old 3 Apr 2011, 18:34 (Ref:2858147)   #117
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A little too much. I'd like to know the whole context in which he said it. Maybe it wasn't even a dig, just his observation.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2858152)   #118
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

It's funny he mentions Rindt. He is the sort of driver Seb resembles in style and spirit. Either that or it's Bellof....
Seb and Bernie seem quite matey with each other, so I imagine Bernie has recounted lots of tales of Jochen.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 19:30 (Ref:2858172)   #119
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Anyone else think we analyse driver quotes a little too much?
Sometimes it isn't necessary to try to read between the lines.

Quote:
A little too much. I'd like to know the whole context in which he said it. Maybe it wasn't even a dig, just his observation.
"After recently saying Vettel’s currently dominant team Red Bull is “just a drinks company”, McLaren driver Hamilton has now admitted he rates his nemesis Fernando Alonso higher.

“I see him (Alonso) as my Prost … if you were to say ‘choose a driver’ I would clearly choose Ayrton (Senna). And maybe I would put him as Prost,” Hamilton told British newspapers.

But what about Vettel, who has taken Hamilton’s record as the youngest ever world champion and last weekend easily won the 2011 opener from pole?

“I don’t think so,” the 26-year-old is quoted by the Guardian.

“If he continues to have a car like he does now then, maybe, but I think when we get equal pace then we will see some serious racing. Maybe he (Vettel) is the new Mansell? Not that I would rate him like I do Mansell,” added Hamilton."

I don't know. Tongue in cheek? Delusions of grandeur? Or is it just that generally speaking we can only ever have two obvious rivals in F1?
Old 3 Apr 2011, 19:46 (Ref:2858177)   #120
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Seb and Bernie seem quite matey with each other, so I imagine Bernie has recounted lots of tales of Jochen.
At the end of the interview with Vettel he was asked which four people he would choose to have a dinner party with and the answer was Bernie, Jochen, Fangio and Senna.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 20:42 (Ref:2858198)   #121
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seb has seemed to just step up a level in terms of performance. The last couple of races in last season he dominated and this year so far he won Australia. I admit it would be interesting to see him do a race to the front win, involving overtaking. I wonder if Seb has this in his skill set? I certainly think at the moment he is the best qualifier, not bad in the wet(although I think Hamilton is the best wet weather driver, with Button and Alonso are no slouch in the wet either) and has amazing speed during the race(notice the number of fastest laps).

Good that he know names from the past of F1 as well.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 00:40 (Ref:2858320)   #122
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Wayne Rooney should be getting glowing reviews for his hat trick against West Ham. But instead he is getting hassle for use of 'colourful' language during a live broadcast. Is there anything he could have done in a professional way to avoid that ?
Keep his gob shut sounds like a good starting point.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 00:57 (Ref:2858323)   #123
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Wayne Rooney should be getting glowing reviews for his hat trick against West Ham. But instead he is getting hassle for use of 'colourful' language during a live broadcast. Is there anything he could have done in a professional way to avoid that?
Act like a professional but that was clearly beyond him, a bit like his quip during the world cup.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 05:22 (Ref:2858362)   #124
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I see him (Alonso) as my Prost … if you were to say ‘choose a driver’ I would clearly choose Ayrton (Senna). And maybe I would put him as Prost,” Hamilton told British newspapers.
Hamilton sounds like a 6 year old in the school playground playing "superheroes"..........

"Ok, I'm Senna coz it's my game & I go first, Fernando you can be Prost & Vettel I spose you can be Mansell!".....ready.....set.....GO!.......brrrrrrmmmmm brrrrmmmm.....

Don't think Senna or Prost where ever quoted saying "I'm Jim Clark & you're Jackie Stewart". They were too busy being themselves.

Seriously Lewis, just be your damn self!......(& btw, you're nowhere near Senna!)

Old 4 Apr 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2858518)   #125
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Act like a professional but that was clearly beyond him, a bit like his quip during the world cup.
Talented though he may be at football, he is a thick as pigs#1t*, so perhaps expecting him to act in a professional manner is asking a bit much. I still think though what he did was completley unacceptable, and he should be punished. Maybe that would get it through his thick skull this sort of behavior in out of order.

I'm sure if LH or SV had gone up to the camera at the end of a GP and done something similar, there would be all hell to pay. The fact that they don't shows how much more professional they are I suppose.

As to LH's comments from above. Ha ha. Nothing to be seen here.

* with apologies to pigs#1t.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Closed Thread