Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jan 2018, 14:43 (Ref:3792299)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Actually, McLaren have form for this - "A Season with McLaren" from the 93 season was a six parter shown on BBC 2 over the winter of 94 and very good actually. Ron was heavily involved and showed his many sides, some good, some not so as is Ron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And yes I was thinking of that BBC Documentary too when the above poster said that Ron probably wouldn’t do a documentary.
didnt realize this. have something to watch this weekend now...if i can find it online.

look forward to it. thanks
Old 12 Jan 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3792309)   #17
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
didnt realize this. have something to watch this weekend now...if i can find it online.

look forward to it. thanks
It was very good, I can roughly remember the episodes;
- One about the mechanics
- One on the race engineers (Steve Hallam for Andretti/Hakkinen and Giorgio Ascanelli for Senna)
- One about the sponsorship hunting.
- One about Senna
- One about Andretti
- One about Hakkinen

All done through the 1993 season with the relevant episode revolving around the topic above. At the time, I felt it was quite open and a great behind the scenes view.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 15:48 (Ref:3792310)   #18
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I have to admit I quite like Zak Brown - yes he talks a lot of ******** but so do all of the people the teams shove out in front of the microphone. The reason I like him is quite simple - he's a genuine racer, he loves the sport - his collection of cars (that he drives in anger not just garaged) is the sort of thing we all dream of. So yes he's full of corporate waffle but on the whole - a decent bloke to have involved I think.
As and when McLaren start performing better, I just think he's a hot air merchant. I get the whole he's into cars and what not and was obviously very good at his previous job (and he annoyed me then too actually!) but he is very prolific with no results just yet.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 15:52 (Ref:3792311)   #19
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Indeed we have to thank him for letting Fred do the Indy 500 and now the Daytona 24. And hopefully also the LM24
You could argue that this was a no brainer rather than the master stroke it's often held up to be. For one, Alonso wants to do these races. Do the other drivers necessarily?

If he blocked Alonso, Alonso would leave McLaren and replace with who, Jo Palmer?

So to me it was the obvious thing to do, to let a driver who wants to do these races do so for fear of leaving the team - even if it meant missing Monaco. Alonso wouldn't do that if the McLaren was a winning car.

Maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy old man at nearly 44... the world has beaten me down early
Old 12 Jan 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3792341)   #20
djinvicta
Subscriber
Veteran

Wales
French France
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I've read all the comments on here re Zak...
This bloke has some shoes to fit into..
Look at Ron's success over the years and his downfall.
Now Zak is in front of the camera talking up 2018 season. What else can he do?
The generations have changed. Ron has gone..let Zak find his feet at McLaren..
Thank Heavens FA is still there...I think, thanks to Zak.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 20:53 (Ref:3792364)   #21
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Actually, McLaren have form for this - "A Season with McLaren" from the 93 season was a six parter shown on BBC 2 over the winter of 94 and very good actually. Ron was heavily involved and showed his many sides, some good, some not so as is Ron.
That was a really good documentary. I still have a copy of it somewhere.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 21:00 (Ref:3792371)   #22
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuntos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zak is an excellent content producer for his own media group.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 22:27 (Ref:3792387)   #23
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
As and when McLaren start performing better, I just think he's a hot air merchant. I get the whole he's into cars and what not and was obviously very good at his previous job (and he annoyed me then too actually!) but he is very prolific with no results just yet.
Ron's fellow directors / enemies who lets face it were along for the ride on the Ron Show managed to gang up against him and steel his toy (McLaren) and now they don't know what it does or how to run it.

Now they have cut Ron out, they haveappointed Zak who is just a salesman and will just tell everyone what they want to hear.

Long on promises and short on delivery.

All imo of course.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 22:58 (Ref:3792393)   #24
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Now they have cut Ron out, they haveappointed Zak who is just a salesman and will just tell everyone what they want to hear.

Long on promises and short on delivery.
He's been executive director for just over a year. What exactly were you expecting from McLaren in 2017?
Old 13 Jan 2018, 04:06 (Ref:3792410)   #25
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!
The more he's in front of a camera or microphone, the more attention being paid to McLaren. Exposure is huge for sponsors. He wants a sponsor. Makes sense, to keep people talking about and interested in the goings-on of McLaren, as it could lead to more camera time during races even if they're mired around 10th. At least attention for something other than dnf's like last couple years. So it makes sense for him to be talking right now as he has apparently stated at some point that sponsorship was a priority.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 08:43 (Ref:3792424)   #26
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
He's been executive director for just over a year. What exactly were you expecting from McLaren in 2017?
Getting a title sponsor!

Zak's area of expertise and promise made on taking the role.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3792470)   #27
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Getting a title sponsor!

Agreed, I though this was his priority when he got the role. Then when he doesn't get one, he makes out they don't need one. He failed in his primary objective and spun it.

He was obviously a good salesman in his prior role and is a car fan. Not sure this makes him right to run McLaren though. I'd prefer to see some positive outcomes before seeking every opportunity to get into the media. I just don't like the constant Zak Brown media saturation and nothing to back if up. I can't trust what he says until he actually does something.

The latest one now is McLaren will undergo the biggest appearance change of anyone this year. Sounds like 2017 with all the orange talk and there appeared a black McLaren with dull orange bits. Hardly the harking back to Bruce's days we were led to believe. Browns a salesman so wired to exaggerate and talk everything up. I prefer to see actual outcomes and results. He'd be better to button it for a while, see how the new McLaren goes (you'd expect an improvement with Honda gone and SVD with a season under his belt). Then he can start with the guff if it's aimed at sponsors, with something to back it up rather than spin and hyperbole.

Anytime he comes on just now, it's make a cup of tea time. My tea intake has gone way up this year....
Old 13 Jan 2018, 16:36 (Ref:3792497)   #28
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They put all their eggs in the 2018 title sponsor basket, with their high downforce levels supposed to suggest a great chassis. Failed to the point of saying never wanted a title sponsor anyway!

2018 is a big year for Z and McL.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 19:39 (Ref:3792524)   #29
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I demand that he is on all the things I watch and in all the things I chose to read less. And I demand he is better for McLaren.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 21:00 (Ref:3792536)   #30
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Getting a title sponsor!

That's fair, but I would argue it could be a "chicken or egg first" scenario for McLaren. Many, if not most, of the cars on the grid don't have a single title sponsor and those that do are at the front of the grid.

Renault is coming in. New year, new you.