Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 22 Jul 2019, 08:44 (Ref:3918808)   #4126
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
One amusing snippet I heard on the Radio about this on Saturday was from a member of Duran Duran. (No, I couldn't see the connection either!)
He was saying that his dad was so excited about the forthcoming televising of the moon landings that he decided to treat the family to a new colour TV in place of their existing black & white set. They were then all able to watch the coverage from the moon which of course was broadcast in black & white!
Old 22 Jul 2019, 08:48 (Ref:3918809)   #4127
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...rtoon-july-18/
Old 22 Jul 2019, 09:07 (Ref:3918813)   #4128
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

Lucky it is not Mohammed.

Give it time.
Old 22 Jul 2019, 15:33 (Ref:3918848)   #4129
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Can't read without registration

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Jul 2019, 16:11 (Ref:3918856)   #4130
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Can't read without registration

https://www.alexcartoon.com/index.cfm?cartoon_num=7483

Old 22 Jul 2019, 16:21 (Ref:3918862)   #4131
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks Grant.
Old 22 Jul 2019, 16:41 (Ref:3918867)   #4132
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, apologies and thanks Grant.
Old 22 Jul 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3918872)   #4133
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, apologies and thanks Grant.

My pleasure Peter.

I have the App. It's a daily weekday read for me (so long as the production team is not on holiday.)

Highly recommended.
Old 22 Jul 2019, 17:06 (Ref:3918873)   #4134
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Flicking through some of the past Alex cartoons, a lot of them keep referring to the compliance department. Having spent about 25 years in financial services, we used to refer to them as the anti-sales department, because that appeared to be their primary function.

The worst was when the industry started going -theoretically, that was - paperless, and all "know your client" questionnaires and applications were filled in on a laptop or PC, and then downloaded to the relevant company. The Fact Find, or "know your client" questionnaires, were created in the main by the companies' compliance departments and they were designed to lead you to recommend what the companies thought was right for the client, rather than answering the needs of the client.

However, this didn't affect mortgage or lending business, and was the primary reason that I decided to sell up and leave the business. Most of the major lenders, and a lot of the secondary lenders, didn't want to know whether the product that you were providing was affordable or not for the client. As a result, I used to issue each advisor with affordabilty questionnaires to complete for each client, and I or my partner would vet each and every application. Not blowing my own trumpet, but in 25 years, I never had a personal client default on any product that I had arranged.
Old 22 Jul 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3918882)   #4135
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Give it time.
Are you finished you both, Bob and Chris??? They are aware about Gerry but I didn't say a word about Mohammed!!! Should someone have to clean a windscreen…
Bad joke apart did someone test/race a Mazda MX5 on here?

Last edited by Gerard C; 22 Jul 2019 at 18:15.
Old 22 Jul 2019, 18:18 (Ref:3918884)   #4136
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
As a result, I used to issue each advisor with affordabilty questionnaires to complete for each client, and I or my partner would vet each and every application. Not blowing my own trumpet, but in 25 years, I never had a personal client default on any product that I had arranged.
There was a time when this always seemed to be applied for mortgages from building societies.

But then some clever people changed the way things worked and let the Banks take control and the Building Societies decided they needed to be banks.

All of which, as applied by the USA, resulted in the events of 2008.

Oh, and shoddy new houses being flung up by contract self employed tradesmen paid by bosses who just want to gather significant bonuses quickly before they leave to do other things with their gains and someone else to sort out the mess (if they can).

Mortgages would indeed be cheap these days - if the property market was values at about half of where it currently seems to be.

So support for cheap borrowing will continue ad infinitum since no politician would want to even think about how to re-align the system.
Old 22 Jul 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3918900)   #4137
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I need a wise advice. One of my bloke built a replica of a Triumph Spitfire Le Mans. The car is HTP'd, category GTP1. Where to put an advert knowing that the car is RHD and how much is it worth?
Some pics of the building process here http://www.yesterdayracing.fr/accueil/fraccueil.html go to Le projet.
Is race cars direct a good way to go?
Old 22 Jul 2019, 19:32 (Ref:3918901)   #4138
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
How do I change a password for 10ths guys ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Jul 2019, 19:53 (Ref:3918903)   #4139
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
How do I change a password for 10ths guys ?

Click on My CP (far left under header), then under Settings and Options, click on Edit E-mail and Password.
Old 22 Jul 2019, 20:16 (Ref:3918905)   #4140
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Click on My CP (far left under header), then under Settings and Options, click on Edit E-mail and Password.
Cheers Mike, do you want my bank and credit card details like the "gentleman" from (I would think) South Africa last week
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Jul 2019, 20:19 (Ref:3918906)   #4141
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
All of which, as applied by the USA, resulted in the events of 2008.

It wasn't just the States that were responsible.

In the UK there had been no proper oversight of any of the financial institutions since Gordon Brown decided that the industry would be subject to "soft touch" regulation, And then he split the regulation between 3 different regulators, most of whom didn't understand what parts of the industry they were supposed to be covering. There was so much theoretical overlap between the three that they all thought that the others would be monitoring matters, when in fact none of them were doing so properly.

I sold up and retired in 2003 because I could see what could be coming, and any of the regulators who actually had his eyes and ears open should have understood the catastrophe that eventually came along. For example, how could a sane regulator permit a lender to grant a mortgage of 125% loan to value and on a non-status basis; i.e. not requiring to know the income/s and outgoings of the applicant/s.

It was reprehensible in the extreme. But then so was the behaviour of the financial services industry in many European countries, such as Spain and now Germany where the chickens are now coming home to roost.
Old 22 Jul 2019, 20:21 (Ref:3918907)   #4142
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Cheers Mike, do you want my bank and credit card details like the "gentleman" from (I would think) South Africa last week

Only if can afford to do so!

And he must have read your signature!
Old 22 Jul 2019, 22:05 (Ref:3918926)   #4143
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
It wasn't just the States that were responsible.

In the UK there had been no proper oversight of any of the financial institutions since Gordon Brown decided that the industry would be subject to "soft touch" regulation, And then he split the regulation between 3 different regulators, most of whom didn't understand what parts of the industry they were supposed to be covering. There was so much theoretical overlap between the three that they all thought that the others would be monitoring matters, when in fact none of them were doing so properly.

I sold up and retired in 2003 because I could see what could be coming, and any of the regulators who actually had his eyes and ears open should have understood the catastrophe that eventually came along. For example, how could a sane regulator permit a lender to grant a mortgage of 125% loan to value and on a non-status basis; i.e. not requiring to know the income/s and outgoings of the applicant/s.

It was reprehensible in the extreme. But then so was the behaviour of the financial services industry in many European countries, such as Spain and now Germany where the chickens are now coming home to roost.

True.

Maybe that is why Gordon was able to make a claim to having "Saved the World's Economy" or whatever it was he claimed. At least if he had a hand in causing the problem he more than likely had some feel about a way to appear to 'fix' it and somehow have the claim go unquestioned.

I suspect the UK and European guidance was mostly the result of trying to compete with the US banks globally and getting sucked into the same maelstrom. Indeed it may not have been a problem based solely on "banking" so much as a lot of political ineptitude.

And of course the result is cheap interest rates but higher property prices and thus no real gain for the owners - especially if the "cheap money" means they also 'cash in' on doing 'makeovers' to add even more 'value' ...

Or buy a car with some of the money. Especially if it was a diesel ...
Old 23 Jul 2019, 05:57 (Ref:3918957)   #4144
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/75...aved-the-world
Old 23 Jul 2019, 12:18 (Ref:3919008)   #4145
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sooo, a new PM! Why am I completely and utterly underwhelmed.......
Old 23 Jul 2019, 12:56 (Ref:3919021)   #4146
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
A lot of people will predicting Boris would be PM one day. Don't think many were serious, but there you go
Old 23 Jul 2019, 12:58 (Ref:3919022)   #4147
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Sooo, a new PM! Why am I completely and utterly underwhelmed.......

Heavy betting going on on whether he will be the PM who is in office for the shortest time on record. The mood of the Conservative MPs and the way that they are acting at present, he may well be out of No.10 before the end of October!
Old 23 Jul 2019, 13:07 (Ref:3919025)   #4148
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Heavy betting going on on whether he will be the PM who is in office for the shortest time on record. The mood of the Conservative MPs and the way that they are acting at present, he may well be out of No.10 before the end of October!
Media were saying this morning that TM PM was rushing to push through her last significant act- getting Milkshakes reclassified as ‘sugary drinks’ and thus liable to VAT. If only leaving the EU (or not) was that important.....
Old 23 Jul 2019, 13:56 (Ref:3919033)   #4149
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Yes these folks are really bloody stupid if they think that toppling him is going to be a good thing. All it will do is lose them their jobs.

It's not all the conservative MPs so be careful what you wish for.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 13:57 (Ref:3919034)   #4150
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Media were saying this morning that TM PM was rushing to push through her last significant act- getting Milkshakes reclassified as ‘sugary drinks’ and thus liable to VAT. If only leaving the EU (or not) was that important.....
Indeed and leaving your furniture behind just to cause inconvenience is also a bit childish.