Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Feb 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2825819)   #26
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Aside from the reduced number of days I note that the article refers to Donington being 'arguably the best spectator circuit in the country'. Obviously people will agree or disagree with such a statement but I wonder if anyone has an update on which spectator viewing areas are likely to be open for this event. I understand that Donington was very limited re spectator access last year - any progress do you think?

Gary
Are they refering to when you have taken off from East Midlands Airport ?
Old 4 Feb 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2825829)   #27
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=Peter Mallett;2825718]Apologies that this is once again, the Telegraph.

QUOTE]

I kept thinking that I had read that somewhere else- see post #18

On a different note, I see that HSCC are in charge of the actual racing, so that bit should go OK!
Old 4 Feb 2011, 22:42 (Ref:2825949)   #28
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Noise issues to be resolved at Donington.
Game changes but they eventually will be.Not soon enough for this meeting.
Thats the reason Andy.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2826067)   #29
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Aside from the reduced number of days I note that the article refers to Donington being 'arguably the best spectator circuit in the country'. Obviously people will agree or disagree with such a statement but I wonder if anyone has an update on which spectator viewing areas are likely to be open for this event. I understand that Donington was very limited re spectator access last year - any progress do you think?

Gary
When I went to the opening Masters event at Donington last year you couldn't see the new chicane from any spectator area, the infield was out of bounds as was over half of the outside of the circuit. I never thought the circuit was the best for spectators before the Gillett troubles, although better than several, and I can't see it being back to that standard until the infield is re-opened.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 11:27 (Ref:2826086)   #30
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
to be fair to donington, where in teh country apart from rockingham and donington can you see over half the track? if you sit at the top of holleywood you can see redgate, craners, old hairpin and mcleans, its got some of the best spectator bankings on the outside of the track and when the infied is sorted and teh banking on the infied is back in place it will be great again there too, the ony thting donington doesnt have is lots of grandstands, the od grandstand coming into the pits isnt as good now the new chicane is in place but you can still see a lot from it

they are doing some work to improve spectator viewing at redgate and around other parts of the track over the winter including grandstands, whether theyre just for wsbk or al year i dont know tho
Old 5 Feb 2011, 13:02 (Ref:2826119)   #31
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
to be fair to donington, where in teh country apart from rockingham and donington can you see over half the track? . . .
Er Brands (short), Mallory - about 85%, probably Thruxton from the new banking, Pembrey.

Regards

Jim
Old 5 Feb 2011, 13:04 (Ref:2826123)   #32
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
to be fair to donington, where in teh country apart from rockingham and donington can you see over half the track? if you sit at the top of holleywood you can see redgate, craners, old hairpin and mcleans, its got some of the best spectator bankings on the outside of the track and when the infied is sorted and teh banking on the infied is back in place it will be great again there too, the ony thting donington doesnt have is lots of grandstands, the od grandstand coming into the pits isnt as good now the new chicane is in place but you can still see a lot from it

they are doing some work to improve spectator viewing at redgate and around other parts of the track over the winter including grandstands, whether theyre just for wsbk or al year i dont know tho
Of the tracks I've been to Castle Combe, Mallory, Brands Indy, Lydden apart from the two you mentioned. The infield being open is a key, as is the car parking issue and lack of grandstands for larger events.

I look forward to reading reports of improvements, given the dire state it was in at the Donington Revived meeting in September.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2826129)   #33
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
give them time, it was a big mess, but its been a bigger achievment to get the place open, we should be grateful for that!.....yes the spectator areas are important but its the black bit between the white lines that is the important thing, and id choose donington over any circuit in the uk!...well along with oulton
Old 5 Feb 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2826160)   #34
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
give them time, it was a big mess, but its been a bigger achievment to get the place open, we should be grateful for that!.....yes the spectator areas are important but its the black bit between the white lines that is the important thing, and id choose donington over any circuit in the uk!...well along with oulton
........... but not the Fosters option. Brands GP is up there with the best.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 14:20 (Ref:2826169)   #35
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ANYONE who witnessed the first meeting last year at oulton on fosters woud disagree with that!!! legends, caterhamms, ff, north west sports and saloons, quite simply the BEST racing action i have seen on a race track in 15 years of spectating, marshaling and competing
Old 5 Feb 2011, 16:30 (Ref:2826208)   #36
brands
Veteran

Quote:
Each to their own.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2826211)   #37
ascarracinguk
Veteran

dont get me wrong, donington does need updating, but there are several other tracks in the uk in need of the same updating, at least donington is now getting it, like i said tho, for me the tarmac is the most important part of the circuit, not the facilities...if you want them go to borain or abu dahbi....great facilities, rubbish track
Old 16 Apr 2011, 21:37 (Ref:2864460)   #38
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So.....less than two weeks to go.

Anyone got any entry lists yet?
Old 16 Apr 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2864475)   #39
Wriggley Monkey
Rookie

Wriggley Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Legends have theirs on their website.

http://www.motorracinglegends.com/
Old 17 Apr 2011, 05:03 (Ref:2864695)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wriggley Monkey View Post
Legends have theirs on their website.
Good grids for 3 of their races but nothing published for new JDC Challenge Touring cars. Assume other organisers will be publishing their own lists. What are you entered in James- Pre 63?
Old 17 Apr 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2864970)   #41
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Mike,

Yes, Pre-63 in my car, and U2TC in Nick Savage's GTA.

Due to work, money and time pressures this year, am looking at cutting back severely, to 6 races, at only 3 meetings. Even missing the Classic this year, as will be on holiday.

Still, apart from Donington, my other races include two races at Dijon, and two at Spa (including the six hours), so can't complain too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Good grids for 3 of their races but nothing published for new JDC Challenge Touring cars. Assume other organisers will be publishing their own lists. What are you entered in James- Pre 63?
Old 17 Apr 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2864979)   #42
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer View Post
Hi Mike,

Yes, Pre-63 in my car, and U2TC in Nick Savage's GTA.

Due to work, money and time pressures this year, am looking at cutting back severely, to 6 races, at only 3 meetings. Even missing the Classic this year, as will be on holiday.

Still, apart from Donington, my other races include two races at Dijon, and two at Spa (including the six hours), so can't complain too much!
Good luck with Pre 63, James- you won't need to watch for a loony in pale blue Morgan this time out.

Oh, and you are entered for 5 more races than me!
Old 18 Apr 2011, 15:46 (Ref:2865812)   #43
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A slightly disturbing item on the HSCC website:

Donington Historic Festival 30th April - 1st May Fuel Orders.

Donington Park on circuit fuel station will not be open for the Donington Historic Festival, so our friends at Anglo American Fuels, have said they will try to assist competitors with supplying their fuel requirement for the weekend. Competitors will need to pre-order their requirements, and to enable Anglo American with their transport logistics, they would like to know by the 20th April what competitors will need. Click here to download a form. Remember to send it back to the address on the form. It is unlikely they will have any spare capacity to assist anyone who has not booked in advance.

Old 19 Apr 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2866320)   #44
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am racing at the Festival in my FJ, and really looking forward to it, having not raced a Donington in the past 3 years.

I am fortunate to have great support from my Mrs and young kids - as this is probably fundamental to my long-term participation in the sport (!), I'd be very keen to know whether it's sensible for me to bring the family to Donington next weekend - a weekend spent in a building site, with poor restaurant and/or toilet facilities, could do untold damage to my ambitions! Can anyone give an objective view of the current state of the place from this perspective!?

Thanks

James
Old 19 Apr 2011, 09:17 (Ref:2866329)   #45
Giraffe138
Racer

Latest provisional entry list this morning from the HSCC website:

http://www.hscc.org.uk/resources/Pro...List%20DHF.pdf
Old 19 Apr 2011, 09:21 (Ref:2866334)   #46
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Donington on 20th March with HSCC and although the part of the paddock at the Redgate end was not available the toilet and paddock bar facilities were just as they always were ( except the gents loo near the paddock bar did block up and was closed later in the day).

The infield opposite the pits and down towards Craners/Old hairpin was in good condition too.

Overall it was OK except not too much in the way of electric hook-ups in the part of the paddock I was situated (close to the petrol pump area).

I would have taken family there.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2866338)   #47
Giraffe138
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
I am racing at the Festival in my FJ, and really looking forward to it, having not raced a Donington in the past 3 years.

I am fortunate to have great support from my Mrs and young kids - as this is probably fundamental to my long-term participation in the sport (!), I'd be very keen to know whether it's sensible for me to bring the family to Donington next weekend - a weekend spent in a building site, with poor restaurant and/or toilet facilities, could do untold damage to my ambitions! Can anyone give an objective view of the current state of the place from this perspective!?

Thanks

James
I shall be encamped with the missus next door for the duration....

http://www.parkfarmhouse.co.uk/caravansite.htm

and wandering in and out of the circuit as need be, so I don't envisage any problems doing it that way James. I'm sure all will be ok at the circuit for the event though; there's a trade village, amusements, catering etc. so I think you can safely bring your family!
Old 19 Apr 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2866554)   #48
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe138 View Post

That is a first class entry list.

Looks like the £50 I've spent on a weekend ticket and Travelodge room for the Saturday night was worth it.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2866644)   #49
brands
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe138 View Post

Wow, that is some line-up.

Even after having listed my reservations about the spectator viewing/photography location access I could easily spent all day Sunday just in the paddock drooling at the cars. Any trackside shots will be a bonus.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 21:36 (Ref:2866700)   #50
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Wow, that is some line-up.

Even after having listed my reservations about the spectator viewing/photography location access I could easily spent all day Sunday just in the paddock drooling at the cars. Any trackside shots will be a bonus.
Access wasn't too bad at the HSCC meeting last month - okay for photography on the inside from Redgates down to Craner Curves. Plus other areas that I didn't get to. The outside at Redgates was off limits but I see spectators were allowed there for the Superbikes and BTCC since then so maybe for this one?

Agreed - good line up.