Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 May 2003, 10:47 (Ref:593333)   #1
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DP2 Daytona Prototype based on a road car?

When the Picchio was debuted to the press, some Grand Fans were up saying how "innovative" it was and how cool it looked. Then someone came crashing down their party and mentioned that this car was a virtual clone to a small production road car in Italy.

If this is true, we have a Mosler DP and now another car with a production car body?

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Old 8 May 2003, 10:50 (Ref:593338)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I thought Picchio builded only light prototypes (SR2, CN) in the past.

Last edited by FIRE; 8 May 2003 at 10:53.
Old 8 May 2003, 12:26 (Ref:593418)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.picchio.com
There currently is no Picchio road car. (And if there were I guess it would have a lower roof. )
Old 8 May 2003, 13:49 (Ref:593540)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
now production based DP's as the mosler is a splendid Idea, however, how would that really be different than a tube frame GTS they are just as slow...Why don't they try something new with a DP like making it a center drive cockpit?, with a fighter jet style cabin, or like those F1 superboats that race in rivers and ponds and stuff, maybe even put wheel on the boats they probably will go faster..
Old 8 May 2003, 14:21 (Ref:593574)   #5
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Picchio does make a road car "available" for almost 5 years, but I think only one was ever actually built
Old 8 May 2003, 17:54 (Ref:593797)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by dretceterini
Picchio does make a road car "available" for almost 5 years, but I think only one was ever actually built
Any pictures???

Or a GTS version of the DP would be great:

source: www.picchio.com
Old 8 May 2003, 23:35 (Ref:594081)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

that is the most fabulous DP I have ever seen, that 'Brumos Porsche" is the worst looking of them all, this is dare I say pretty Nice
Old 9 May 2003, 00:50 (Ref:594108)   #8
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The Mosler isn't a DP, it is a GTS.

You think the Brumos is ugly? Have you seen the Multimatic?
Old 9 May 2003, 01:32 (Ref:594114)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

Mosler is a gts however I have seen the Mosler bodied DP, its out there i can't remember the link maybe H16 can...Mosler in 2 overall winning capable classes? that's how you assure a win..
Old 9 May 2003, 01:40 (Ref:594117)   #10
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
There is not in existance, nor have there been any plans to build a Mosler DP.
Old 9 May 2003, 02:06 (Ref:594125)   #11
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Chase engineering are taking their DP frame and *ahem* modifying a Mosler body to fit it.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 9 May 2003, 03:29 (Ref:594148)   #12
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fogelhound, I assure you there is a team modifying a Mosler to DP rules. Wish I had a link.

gttouring, Would a center seat not be in complete vialation of the two seater rule that GA is so adamantly pushing for the DPs? Also, You made mention of fighter cockpit. If you are meaning a smaller cockpit area, that is completely out of the question with the rules. Or are you talking about what GA do, and not the chassis builders?

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 9 May 2003, 04:27 (Ref:594159)   #13
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
I'd hardly call the Chase car a Mosler though. I mean, just taking the body work and putting SOME of it on a DP chassis.. a Mosler? Everything underneath portions of the skin will be strictly a tube frame DP, nothing shared with a Mosler at all. Maybe a Mosler kit car.. wait

The Roof line, width... the whole bit will have to be reworked.

It is approved as a Chase chassis.

Here is the list of approved constructors.

Mosler is not on the list.

http://www.grand-am.com/daytona_prot...rs%20Page.html

>Wednesday, March 19, 2003
>Chase Engineering To Use Mosler Bodywork
>Chase Competition Engineering has completed the chassis for its first Daytona Prototype and is in the process of modifying the bodywork from a Mosler MT900R to fit the chassis and the rules for the class. Owner Robert Chase says the car will be powered with a Chevy engine. He hopes to have it ready to race by August.

I'm having some trouble imagining how they're going to "modify the bodywork from a Mosler MT900R". It will be very interesting to see how this little project develops. It appears that Chase may be the first constructor who is truly toying with the low-cost possibilities within the DP concept...
Old 9 May 2003, 07:32 (Ref:594224)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't call a car "production based" just because it uses some road car bodywork. The Chase isn't based on a Mosler.

http://www.chasecompetition.com
Old 9 May 2003, 09:13 (Ref:594288)   #15
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to clear things up, I know what exactly what the name of the Chase DP is, and I also know that they "drastically" were able to cut costs by using the Mosler body. Most of the bodywork should be ok, except for the very middle of the car, which had to be enlarged and the sides straightened.

When I say "Mosler" DP, its sort of like still calling the DBA the Reynard 02S. Yes, I know the "offical" name, but I call it like I see it.
Old 9 May 2003, 10:53 (Ref:594395)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
that is the most fabulous DP I have ever seen, that 'Brumos Porsche" is the worst looking of them all, this is dare I say pretty Nice
Indeed, I am not a fan of these DP's but this one looks ok. Only the front air intake looks odd.
Old 10 May 2003, 07:23 (Ref:595150)   #17
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was under the impression that the Chase was going to be more Mosler than DP. If it will only have the bodywork and none of the chassis and components, then I guess it's not much Mosler at all. Still, when you see it racing, what's the first word that's going to pop into your head? Before you hear ugly, ridiculous, genius, or resourceful, your going to think "Mosler."

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 10 May 2003, 16:26 (Ref:595457)   #18
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thre was a concept drawing of the road coupe on the Picchio site some 3-4 years ago, but I never saved it. I don't have any photos of the actual road car, and I believe only one was ever compleated..sorry
Old 11 May 2003, 18:08 (Ref:596171)   #19
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
Gunman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats correct, Chase is only using Mosler bodywork as a basis for thier car. nothing under the skin is the same as an MT900R, other than both use Corvette engines.