Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 14 May 2006, 10:37 (Ref:1609380)   #26
John Pyke
Rookie

John Pyke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tigas

Spooks and Chris,
i will talk to Alan Hamilton this week to confirm the history of what sounds like an F3 car,(assuming he know about it) his shop is just around the corner from my home.
Iam not so sure about the 4th Fa Tiga in the usa because the race dates and drivers seem to fit, but i am prepared to be corrected.
Old 15 May 2006, 07:09 (Ref:1610190)   #27
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John

My reasons for thinking that there are three Garvin Brown Tigas are as follows:
In 1982 the team runs a second FA82 from mid season. If Fickling's 209 is delivered November this suggests a build number between 203 and 208 rather than 211.
211 is described as new in NZ, and that fits with the delivery date for 209.

We had ownership trails of some kind from David Doubtfire for both 202 and 209. Ayoub didn't appear in either of them. Ayoub appears in 1983 at the same time as the Garvin Brown car. If we are correct in surmising that 202 goes to Bowers and then Meek, and 209 remains a P1 Racing car in 1983 [and Ayoub doesn't appear in its history], then there is only one known FA82 available [211] for two drivers at the same meeting. Unless the histories given for 202 and 209 are wrong there has to be another car.

Chris
Old 15 May 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1610349)   #28
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pyke
Spooks and Chris,
i will talk to Alan Hamilton this week to confirm the history of what sounds like an F3 car,(assuming he know about it) his shop is just around the corner from my home.
Iam not so sure about the 4th Fa Tiga in the usa because the race dates and drivers seem to fit, but i am prepared to be corrected.
Wonder if this is the ex-Weaver F3 car that appeared late in 81 over here, and seems to have disappeared afterwards ??
Old 15 May 2006, 09:57 (Ref:1610361)   #29
John Pyke
Rookie

John Pyke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tigas

Dan,
Do you know how or where to find Gavin Brown or former team members,
or a starting point?
Old 23 May 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1617111)   #30
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The other Tiga down under

Found it !.

There is a photo of the FA83 Tiga on Page 44 of Racing Car News August 1983.

I would post the picture if my scanner was behaving, but that might be a breach of copyright ?.
Old 23 May 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1617171)   #31
Dan Rear
Veteran

So it looks like probably 7 FAt Tigas - 3 FA81s for Taylor/Sheldon, Costanzo x2, and 4 FA82s - Garvin Brown x2, Fickling, Crang.

Then possibly, depending on what Spook can find, the F381 was converted to an AF2 car in 1984.

How does this sound? And also, I wonder where the 2 UK cars ended up?
Old 25 May 2006, 07:21 (Ref:1618412)   #32
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Still they come out of the woodwork!
At St Petersburg, 3.11.85 Russell Newman appears in a Tiga 84A.
Given that this is Florida I do wonder if this is an updated version of the car offered for sale by Rick Capone in 1983.
However, in 1985 there are second hand FA82s all over the place for Rick Bowers, William Ayoub, Damon Meek and Riccardo Revi.

Chris
Old 7 Jun 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1629181)   #33
Barclay Holden
Rookie

Barclay Holden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The missing FA81

I have the Tiga FA81 car driven by Vern Schuppan in the Macau Grand Prix

It was built as a F3 car(maybe for testing) but never raced as F3
It was rebuilt at the factory and was new for Schuppan at Macau
Its tagged as a FA81-163

The pictures at lakeside would probably be it but is not a F3 83
Ross Holden drove it Yellow No.75
The car would be without a doubt the best condition Tiga anywhere. It has never been crashed and still has origanal bodywork and of course
the engine is a Cosworth BDA
it raced about ten times in australia and had the lap record at Lakeside of 50.01 until Formula Brabham (F4000) was introduced.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1629214)   #34
Dan Rear
Veteran

Barclay, thats interesting. Are you sure it never raced as an F3 in UK. James Weaver used a car called an F381 at a couple of late season 1981 F3 races here, the car then seems to disappear, at least in F3-guise.

I wonder whether it was built in early 81, which the chassis no. indicates, as am F3 car. Tiga ran a 3 car F3 team that year in Britain, Weaver, Hansen, Nierop (OTOH), and I recall rumours that Weaver was due to use a Tiga 'when it was ready'. In the meantime all 3 used RT3s, Weaver quite successfully. Tiga's own car came out late that year.

It may have then been converted to a FAt car after the end of the F3 season that year, say Oct/Nov '81, and ended up with Schuppan and then you.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 13:52 (Ref:1629254)   #35
Barclay Holden
Rookie

F3 ?

As far as we know or what we were told it wasn't raced as F3 but you might be right
Why such an interest in Tiga's? at the moment
Does anyone know how much one's worth?
I'm tossing up whether to race it again but its in such good condition

I have a 1975 Van Deiman FFord Converted to Formula 2
It was one of the first Van Deiman FFords built and the first ever to come to Australia
We have all the bits to return it to FFord but I am going to race it in F2 historics for a while.
Old 9 Jun 2006, 03:33 (Ref:1630348)   #36
Barclay Holden
Rookie

More info on FA81-163

The car was originally built as a F381(May have raced or tested in British F3 in 81 maybe driven by J.Weaver)
It was converted to a FA81 by the factory and fitted with a BDA.
It was sent to Macau for Schuppan and returned to the Tiga factory after the race.
Ross Holden bought the car from Howard Ganley minus the engine and
brought it back to QLD in January 1983
It was raced with a pushrod Ford as an Australian F2 for a couple races
before it was fitted with a ex. Charlie Obrien Cosworth BDA fully rebuilt by
Randell Edgell in New Zealand.
It was raced about 10 times in QLD. Last race 1986.
Car remains in perfect condition, never been crashed and is totally original.
Old 9 Jun 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1630511)   #37
Dan Rear
Veteran

Thanks Barclay, thats cleared that one up then !!
Old 10 Nov 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1762871)   #38
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Following conversations with William Ayoub, who owned no less than three Atlantic Tigas at different times, a significant update on these cars is possible. The number of cars just keeps growing!

FA81 161. New early 1981 to Alan Hamilton [Australia] for Alfredo Costanzo but does not appear before Australian GP at end of the season. Probably the team's spare car in 82/83 [Costanzo is recorded as using chassis 183 at the AGP in both these years, suggesting it was his regular car; this would make 161 the spare car used at Oran Park 21 Aug 83.] At the 83 AGP Costanzo has, alongside 183, what's described as an FA81 with a new rear end grafted onto it; this suggests that 161 becomes an FA83 at this point, and is the car run by the Hamilton team for Lucio Cesario in 1984 until badly damaged. In Australia.

FA81 163 Built from the Tiga F3 car [and probably keeping its chassis number] for Vern Schuppan to use at 1982 Macau GP. The F3 car is offered for sale by Tiga Sept 82, but disappears thereafter. Sold to Ross Holden Jan 83 and now owned by Barclay Holden in Queensland.

FA81 164 New for Ian Taylor in 1981 British series. Returned to works and taken to Macau and Selangor GPs by John Sheldon, then used by him in 1982 British series. Taken to Macau in 1982. Probably the “FA81” for sale by Tiga in A/S 9 Sept 82, £11,750. Perhaps the car of Paul Poore in the US in 1985 as there are no other FA81s available at this point.

FA81 183 Sold to Hamilton for Costanzo in late 1981 or very early 82. Number first noted on Costanzo's car at 1982 AGP but probably his car throughout that series. Retained into 1983 and 84, used by Costanzo, and John Smith on one occasion in 1984. Still in Australia

FA82 187 New to William Ayoub in Montreal in summer 1982 and used in Canadian libre races. Retained 1983 until sold to Mario Sarazin [Montreal]. Now on the wall of a restuarant in Montreal according to Ayoub

FA82 200 New for Tiga director Neil Crang May 1982 and used throughout the British series. Taken to Macau and AGP at end of 1982 then returned to UK and used by Crang in 1983. Sold to William Ayoub and used by him in Atlantic and Can Am from 1984 onwards, still in his possession.

FA82 202 Sold to Garvin Brown Racing for the 1982 North American pro series. Probably the Tiga debuted by Michael Andretti at Long Beach 3 April 82 as Hubert Phipps, the team’s other driver, appears in the team’s new Ralt RT4, and it is not until later in the season that a second Tiga, described as new at that point, appears. Subsequently used by Phipps in 1982, and probably by Danny Sullivan and Tommy Grunnah. Sold to Damon Meek and then Rick Bowers who retains the car until at least 1987, using it in west coast races. As Meek and Bowers appear together Meek has to have a second FA82. Now with John Pyke

FA82 209 Sold to Bill Fickling [P1 Racing; the American Tiga distributor] in November 1982. Used in one late season “enduro” race, where Fickling shared driving duties with Peter Hastrup. Probably the car used by Hastrup in the early pro races of the 1983 season, then to R. Bettendorf and others. Now with David Doubtfire.

FA82 211 Sold to Garvin Brown late 1982 and first used by Hubert Phipps in the NZ series of 1983. Press reports from 1983 suggest that the team retains this car whilst selling off TWO others at the start of 83. Badly damaged by Ed Pimm at Trois Rivieres 1983. Sold to William Ayoub, rebuilt and run by him for Ricardo Revi [Montreal]. Now with an owner in NE USA

FA82 unknown number between 203 and 208. Garvin Brown has a second car in 1982 from mid season, but it cannot be 211, since there is another ex Garvin Brown car run by Damon Meek at the same time as Bowers with 202 and Ayoub/Revi with 211.

FA84 unknown number, run by Russell Newman at St Petersburg late 1985 and perhaps earlier.

Remaining problem cars [apart from finding the Meek and Newman cars]
'The Capone car' Rick Capone offers for sale an FA82 in March 83. This could be one of the Garvin Brown cars, but Capone was from Miami and by this time the Brown team was based in California, and his having a car would entail it travelling to Florida and then back for either Meek or Bowers [both based in California]. Ayoub has a photograph of this car, in Capone colours, at a meeting alongside Capone's on March 79B and a selection of FFords, and it was nothing to do with his cars.
One possibility is that it's the Sheldon car, updated.

Amazingly only two cars out of this list aren't known to still exist!

Chris
Old 5 May 2007, 23:13 (Ref:1907377)   #39
beighes
Rookie

beighes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greetings Chris,
Re.: FA82/202. To the best of my knowledge, Damon only had one chassis. He was a customer of mine (I peddled race spares) & I knew his budget limitations well. He sold his March 76B, and took some time off from racing just to be able to purchase the Tiga. Once he received it, the rest of the budget went to doing all of the required "tweaks". Trivia regarding his first event in the car. I believe that he didn't have the money for a new set of tyres, so he used a set of used ones from the March (something like 18 months old). Add to that, a motor that had about 1400 miles on it. I'll have to do some hunting, but I think he qualified 4th on the grid. As for Rick Bowers, is it possible that Damon rented the car to him? Prior to the final sale, he may have been trying to get some money to payback those that helped him buy the car (?). I'll see if I can find Damon, and get what information I can. Cheers!......Steve
Old 6 May 2007, 12:09 (Ref:1907580)   #40
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Steve

The Meek car can't be the Bowers car, as both appear at Laguna Seca WCAR June 16 1985. Meek could have had only one car [in which case it has to be ex Garvin Brown, the car of unknown number] but he is given in the chain of owners for 202. Perhaps he simply brokered the sale?

If you can get in touch with Damon both about this and the provenance of his March 76B that could be of enormous help.

Chris
Old 6 May 2007, 18:35 (Ref:1907856)   #41
beighes
Rookie

beighes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris,
I believe that Damon's 76B was purchased fron John della Pena.
cheers,
Steve
Old 11 Jun 2007, 18:34 (Ref:1934260)   #42
Ducfer
Rookie

Ducfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tiga FA 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend

FA81 164 New for Ian Taylor in 1981 British series. Returned to works and taken to Macau and Selangor GPs by John Sheldon, then used by him in 1982 British series. Taken to Macau in 1982. Probably the “FA81” for sale by Tiga in A/S 9 Sept 82, £11,750. Perhaps the car of Paul Poore in the US in 1985 as there are no other FA81s available at this point.

Remaining problem cars [apart from finding the Meek and Newman cars]
'The Capone car' Rick Capone offers for sale an FA82 in March 83. This could be one of the Garvin Brown cars, but Capone was from Miami and by this time the Brown team was based in California, and his having a car would entail it travelling to Florida and then back for either Meek or Bowers [both based in California]. Ayoub has a photograph of this car, in Capone colours, at a meeting alongside Capone's on March 79B and a selection of FFords, and it was nothing to do with his cars.
One possibility is that it's the Sheldon car, updated.

Amazingly only two cars out of this list aren't known to still exist!

Chris
Chris

I have just found this Forum and was interested to see your information on Tiga's. I own Tiga FA 164. It is the Sheldon Car and did race in Macau. I still have the Dymag wheels with the Flying Tigers shipping lables on them. I purchased the car from Paul Poore. My understanding is that he purchased the car from a fellow by the name of R. Peter Gates who now is involved with the VS2000 (vintage Sports 2000) group here in the USA.

I spoke with Mr. Meeks in California many years ago when he was looking for his old car. I do not know he ever had or drove 164, but it is alive and well here in Pennsylvania! I would be happy to send you a photo of the car if that will help with your record keeping.

Best,
Ducfer
Old 12 Jun 2007, 08:57 (Ref:1934793)   #43
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Ducfer

Isn't it great when an assumption from evidence turns into hard fact!
Thank you so much for the information.
Do you have an SCCA log book for the car? Would like to narrow down the point at which it entered American racing and which events Poore [and maybe others] ran.

I will send you a private message with my email for you to post the image of the car.

This info means that only the unknown Garvin Brown car and the 84 Newman car remain to be discovered. Astonishingly good survival rate

Chris
Old 12 Jun 2007, 14:20 (Ref:1935088)   #44
Ducfer
Rookie

Ducfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris:

Glad I could help. I am thrilled to learn more about some of the other cars that are out there. Yes, I have the log book somewhere in my files. I will have to dig it out to see who ran the car when. When I purchased the car it was white with blue and yellow stripes. It is now red with blue. Will send photo as soon as possible.

Best
Ducfer
Old 21 Oct 2008, 18:19 (Ref:2317748)   #45
swede9
Rookie

United States
So. Cal
swede9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend
FA82 209 Sold to Bill Fickling [P1 Racing; the American Tiga distributor] in November 1982. Used in one late season ?enduro? race, where Fickling shared driving duties with Peter Hastrup. Probably the car used by Hastrup in the early pro races of the 1983 season, then to R. Bettendorf and others. Now with David Doubtfire.

Chris
As far as I know Bill Fickling (P1 Racing) was not a Tiga distributor, he became a Swift Dealer in 1984. In the early 80's Steve Farnsworth @ Proformula in Sacramento Ca was the Tiga importer at least on the west coast. Later he would sell this to Len Renick @ Renick Cadillac in Fullerton, Len raced Tiga S2000 cars. Renick Motorsports now sells aftermarket Hi Performance Subaru Parts. http://www.renickmotorsports.com/oscommerce/catalog/

Talking to someone who worked for Bill back then, Pete Hastrup owned this car, he thinks Pete sold it at the end of 1983 after the Enduro, having no luck against the Ralts. Bill now has a March 75A that he vintage races. Bill's son Geoff took over P1 a few years ago, but this year they closed shop.

Old 20 Nov 2008, 17:58 (Ref:2338425)   #46
swede9
Rookie

United States
So. Cal

Here is a pic of the Hastrup Car winning the Riverside SCCA Enduro Nov of 1982.

Results
Old 25 Nov 2008, 12:46 (Ref:2341388)   #47
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Most interesting, many thanks!
Are these cuttings taken from CSCC magazine?
If so, do you have many issues from this period?

Chris
Old 27 Nov 2008, 07:41 (Ref:2342606)   #48
Big Block F
Rookie

Big Block F should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hi Swede9

Great to see these items. I actually own the car in question.

You are correct in your assertions, the car was prepared and entered by Fickling for Hastrup in 1982. Sometime back I spoke with Bill Fickling's son, who pretty much detailed what you said i.e. they just prepared the car for Hastrup.

I have also checked the original logbook and I find that the first race was listed as November 6, 1982 (no doubt that scrutineering was done the day before the actual enduro on Novemebr 7) , this is the race which is featured in your magazine scans. However the lisitings in the logbook only list Fickling in Novemebr and December 1982, the next listing was in August 13, 1983 with Bettendorf driving. I think it safe to assume that Hastrup raced the car in earlier parts of 1983?

Do you have any other cuttings or info for this car?

Could you send me a hi res scan of what you have, please
Old 5 Dec 2008, 17:10 (Ref:2348227)   #49
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hastrup, in a Tiga FA82, placed 10th at Willow on 17 April 83 in the first round of the Formula Mondial North American Cup; 11th at Riverside 23 April in round two; 10th at Sears Point, 8 May, round 3.

Steve Hostetler is an unknown with a Tiga FA82 at the WCAR round at Sears 9 October 1983. Didn't Hostetler have the car after Bettendorf?

Chris
Old 15 Dec 2008, 17:54 (Ref:2355342)   #50
swede9
Rookie

United States
So. Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Block F
Hi Swede9

Great to see these items. I actually own the car in question.

Do you have any other cuttings or info for this car?

Could you send me a hi res scan of what you have, please
Sorry to say this was the only Finish Line Magazine or Imformation I have access to. Will try to find more after the Holidays. I see Bill Fickling ever so often maybe I can ask him for some more Imfo.

Good luck with the car.