Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 28 May 2020, 19:38 (Ref:3979001)   #1776
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This was buzzing around the other day. Looks like a hurricane but sounded different. Perhaps Griffon powered.
Not sure of your location. LF363 was active between Coningsby and York on the 27th?

Old 28 May 2020, 20:31 (Ref:3979021)   #1777
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm in Bucks so it wasn't that one.
Old 28 May 2020, 20:53 (Ref:3979024)   #1778
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm in Bucks so it wasn't that one.
At a guess, probably something operating out of Duxford? They have limited data published for flights from there though. I can ask a few contacts in the Air Traffic world if you are keen to know more?
Old 28 May 2020, 22:25 (Ref:3979035)   #1779
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This was buzzing around the other day. Looks like a hurricane but sounded different. Perhaps Griffon powered.
It is an Hurricane. The Hurricane had an air intake on the Fuselage and the Spitfire had the intake under the wing. Griffon engined Spitfires ha intakes under both wings. The Fury had a radial engine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LF363 Hawker Hurricane.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	61524Click image for larger version

Name:	AB 910 Spitfire 5b (2).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	570.2 KB
ID:	61525
Old 28 May 2020, 22:43 (Ref:3979037)   #1780
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For completness, pictures of a Griffon engined Spitfire & a Hawker Fury.Click image for larger version

Name:	PS915 Supermarine Spitfire & PZ865 Hawker Hurricane  .JPG
Views:	3
Size:	476.6 KB
ID:	61526Click image for larger version

Name:	G CBEL SR661 Hawker Fury Mk2   (1).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	742.5 KB
ID:	61527
Old 29 May 2020, 04:29 (Ref:3979055)   #1781
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Brands Hatch . Here we come .
Old 29 May 2020, 05:00 (Ref:3979056)   #1782
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Used to be a bumper sticker IIRC. Enjoy the test day.
Old 29 May 2020, 09:33 (Ref:3979100)   #1783
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
A fix for an addict!
Old 29 May 2020, 09:33 (Ref:3979101)   #1784
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Lovely day . Only problem is paddock loo shut .
Old 29 May 2020, 09:49 (Ref:3979105)   #1785
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ouch.
Old 29 May 2020, 09:55 (Ref:3979106)   #1786
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
you'll have to bottle it

For god sake don't put it in the esky!
Old 30 May 2020, 14:54 (Ref:3979304)   #1787
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Heard a big radial engined aircraft today .
Went out but could not see it . Sounded like a P47 but could not be sure . Have seen one go over in the past , but missed it this time .

Your Hurricane could be one of several about in the UK .
http://hawkerrestorations.co.uk/
This company in Suffolk have rebuilt quite a few , including 1 , [ & possibly by now two ] 2 seater versions .
Old 30 May 2020, 17:06 (Ref:3979312)   #1788
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Blackbushe today for me. Woo hoo! No bacon butties but a Wild Bean Cafe coffee and an M&S bacon & egg sandwich at the BP station on the 303. Yeah, not bad.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 30 May 2020, 19:01 (Ref:3979329)   #1789
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Heard a big radial engined aircraft today .
Went out but could not see it . Sounded like a P47 but could not be sure . Have seen one go over in the past , but missed it this time .

Your Hurricane could be one of several about in the UK .
http://hawkerrestorations.co.uk/
This company in Suffolk have rebuilt quite a few , including 1 , [ & possibly by now two ] 2 seater versions .
I was treated to a nice air display in my garden the other day when the son of a friend in the village flew over in a Harvard. He always does a few circuits of the village & if he spots me outside gives me an extra treat. When in his own plane I've even had him barrel-roll across the garden!
Old 30 May 2020, 20:02 (Ref:3979345)   #1790
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I was treated to a nice air display in my garden the other day when the son of a friend in the village flew over in a Harvard. He always does a few circuits of the village & if he spots me outside gives me an extra treat. When in his own plane I've even had him barrel-roll across the garden!
If I remember correctly , a Harvard has a fairly unique sound as the tips of the props actually break the sound barrier when it goes above a certain revs .
Old 31 May 2020, 01:32 (Ref:3979378)   #1791
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If I remember correctly , a Harvard has a fairly unique sound as the tips of the props actually break the sound barrier when it goes above a certain revs .
This one in Canberra, ACT, Awstraliah is quite quiet...
Attached Thumbnails
Harvard maybe.jpg  
Old 31 May 2020, 06:26 (Ref:3979389)   #1792
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I dont know how you manage to recognize a star engine just from its sound. Some of them were pure pieces of design, the Salmson 9 cylinder water cooled for instance.
Old 31 May 2020, 07:13 (Ref:3979394)   #1793
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Some of them were pure pieces of design, the Salmson 9 cylinder water cooled for instance.
Are there any of these flying today, I do not recall seeing Spad's or Voisins flying over here!
Old 31 May 2020, 08:18 (Ref:3979400)   #1794
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I remember only two specialized ateliers for those, one in Bretagne was Rousseau Aviation which probably went bankrupt and near Paris you have Amicale Jean Salis which became Escadrille du Souvenir if my understanding is good. The latest is located at La Ferté Allais I'd this guys are just fantastic, half enthusiasts half nuts!
http://www.ajbs.fr/histoire/
https://www.ouest-france.fr/pays-de-...-alais-5776964
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amical...Baptiste_Salis
Old 31 May 2020, 08:23 (Ref:3979401)   #1795
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Blackbushe today for me. Woo hoo! No bacon butties but a Wild Bean Cafe coffee and an M&S bacon & egg sandwich at the BP station on the 303. Yeah, not bad.

I loved our karting Saturdays at Blackbush .Have a good day Max . I was up and on the road to Cornwall at 4.30 am . My fibreglass man has his workshop not far from Bude . Now on the way home before Mrs Delta wakes up . She is going to go mad !!!!!
Old 31 May 2020, 08:27 (Ref:3979402)   #1796
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I dont know how you manage to recognize a star engine just from its sound. Some of them were pure pieces of design, the Salmson 9 cylinder water cooled for instance.
Big radial engines have their own sound , possibly because they always have to have an odd number of cylinders .
The P47 was , I believe , the most powerful WW11 engine & does seem to have a sound that stands out from any others .
Old 31 May 2020, 08:41 (Ref:3979403)   #1797
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
We had a mini TV series of only six episodes made by a French-Canadian-German production. The name was "Les faucheurs de marguerites". Mainly the stunts were made in Bretagne and I made some money letting my house there, near Cap Fréhel. There is one of the longest beach in the area, around 1,5 kilometer, and I was standing really close to the Wright Bros replica when they tested it for the first time. I'd say the engine was not period correct, a Stamp unit may be, and I'm quite sure the stunt man didn't feel comfortable! Prior to the first attempt, nobody could say for sure if he could fly or crash!
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zww5c
Reminds Those magnificent men in their flying machines. I love Terry-Thomas!
Old 31 May 2020, 08:50 (Ref:3979404)   #1798
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Big radial engines have their own sound , possibly because they always have to have an odd number of cylinders .
The P47 was , I believe , the most powerful WW11 engine & does seem to have a sound that stands out from any others .
Isn't the Tiger Cat, or Tom Cat, the most powerful of them all? I can remember the ground shqking at Duxford when one fired-up close by. The sound was magnificent!

I must try & find out in advance if:when my friend is coming again in the Harvard so that I can have my camera ready. I've never actually met him in person, only know his father, but he knows my house. Fortunately I know the sound of his own plane so nip outside if I'm there. Likewise the sound of the Hqrvqrd attracted me.
Old 31 May 2020, 09:05 (Ref:3979405)   #1799
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
To be pedantic, it's actually the air at the tips that is forced to break the sound barrier.
Having the propeller tips break the sound barrier is very bad for the integrity of the propeller. The shock waves are very dangerous, and performance drops rapidly as propeller tips approach this point.

You're right about the specific sound caused though - but it's the air not the propeller.
Old 31 May 2020, 09:13 (Ref:3979407)   #1800
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stone the crows Iain, you put in the hours. Safe journey mate.

Isn't there a fibre glass man closer to you? Or is this just an excuse to go home? Mark Bailey uses one just up the road here in Bromham. He's well recommended.