Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Sep 2005, 05:39 (Ref:1398306)   #26
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Redshoes, if you need pics of the Dodge, you know who to ask!!
Old 4 Sep 2005, 05:44 (Ref:1398307)   #27
kmchow
Veteran

What about the VW Bora and Jetta? Was the Mitsubishi Lancer and Hyundai Elantra local homologations? Was there a single 2 dr VW Golf that was built to ST specs as well?
Old 4 Sep 2005, 06:07 (Ref:1398310)   #28
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a waste. http://www.supertouringregister.com/...php?vehicle=82
Old 4 Sep 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1398361)   #29
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
What about the VW Bora and Jetta? Was the Mitsubishi Lancer and Hyundai Elantra local homologations? Was there a single 2 dr VW Golf that was built to ST specs as well?
None of those were every homologated by the FIA. Initailly I've restricted myself to officially recognised cars but I realise there were some unofficial variations had raced within regional championships - Pontiac Sunfire in NATCC, Hyundai and Mercedes in Australia for example.

I've seen a VW Vento advertised. Apparantly 2 were built of which only one survives. The Bore was often rumoured as a BTCC entry but I'm not aware that one was ever built, or at least if it was it was never made public.

The Lancer was I believe a motorshow demo only and never raced.

Not heard of the VW Golf, and it wouldn't have enough doors to be a proper ST. Possibly a local build to the spirit rather than the letter of the regulations. Now I think about it I seem to recall Peugeot built a 806 people-carrier to "ST-regs" for use in the Spa 24hrs.

As for the pictures, yes please.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1398463)   #30
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
Bob Tweedie wasn't it? I'm sure that car is back in the UK now. I've seen it displayed at the Autosport show on a club racing stand, which said it had been bought back from overseas.
No, Rod Jones of Bathurst. He bought both of Tweedie's Cavaliers (Cleland and Thompson's 95 cars) while already owning the older car once run by Graham Moore and then later acquired the first Vauxhall that Henderson tried to run prior to him acquiring the McLean Vectra. I figured he'd sell them at some point considering their value had plummeted along with the collapse of a series to run them in.

You wanna take right good care of that Cavalier if it returned to the UK. It used to be Jim Richards'.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1398471)   #31
Mondeo Man33
Racer

Mondeo Man33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting discussion, didn't know about the Ken McRae Laguna. Hope this link works!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/myronx19/Sa...9/IMAG0005.JPG
Old 4 Sep 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1398514)   #32
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think I heard Matt Neal say on Tin Top Tuesday a few weeks back that his Nissan, the won he used to win at Donington, is currently in New Zealand.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1398532)   #33
avro
Racer

avro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you will find the the Matt Neal Primera that won the £250 k at Donnington is living in Berkshire with Alexanders Motorsport, and will be racing at Silverstone next weekend.

Car is also up for sale £35 -40 K
Old 4 Sep 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1398639)   #34
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Martyn Sims car? That's the car Matt Neal used in 2000. Brian Chatfield had the £250k-winning car, as Neal had to borrow it to use it at the final meeting in 2000 after he shunted the 2000 chassis beyond repair.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1398718)   #35
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, I'm pretty sure Neal's 2000 car was one of RML's 99 models with the facelift bodywork.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1398796)   #36
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
None of those were every homologated by the FIA. Initailly I've restricted myself to officially recognised cars but I realise there were some unofficial variations had raced within regional championships - Pontiac Sunfire in NATCC, Hyundai and Mercedes in Australia for example.
Whoo, I'm so embarassed I forgot all about the local built Pontiac Sunfire that raced in NATCC. I, of all people, should have thought of that one! Well, when you get bored one day, you could always have a separate registry for local builds.

Quote:
I've seen a VW Vento advertised. Apparantly 2 were built of which only one survives.
I guess that was a local build too?

Quote:
The Bora was often rumoured as a BTCC entry but I'm not aware that one was ever built, or at least if it was it was never made public.
There were always talk by VW that would race it at a few select BTCC races. But I guess when they saw they saw the state of the BTCC, they decided against it?

VW actually built at least one car, but it only raced at a few German endurance races and it was powered by a diesel engine. I used to have links to pictures of the car, but the links are now all dead.

I thought I saw a picture of an old 90s Lancer in those Touring Car World annuals.

Quote:
The Lancer was I believe a motorshow demo only and never raced.
Wasn't that the Mitsubishi Carisma?

Quote:
Not heard of the VW Golf, and it wouldn't have enough doors to be a proper ST. Possibly a local build to the spirit rather than the letter of the regulations. Now I think about it I seem to recall Peugeot built a 806 people-carrier to "ST-regs" for use in the Spa 24hrs.
Was that ST build or F1 build? It was powered by a F1 engine.

As for the pictures, yes please.[/QUOTE]
Old 4 Sep 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1398803)   #37
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
VW actually built at least one car, but it only raced at a few German endurance races and it was powered by a diesel engine. I used to have links to pictures of the car, but the links are now all dead.
I guess you mean this one: http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-10-19-063.jpg

This car raced at Belcar series.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 22:37 (Ref:1399084)   #38
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Corollas and Sierras built here in Oz too. South Africa built Camrys.

Two 92 cars made it to Australia? That sounds odd as none ever raced here. I know one turned up at Bathurst in a not yet race ready condition and a day late to be allowed into the race. It never appeared again, the owner content to modify 80's AE86 Sprinters for the job instead.

There were at least four of the later bodystyle Carina E cars here in Australia. James Kaye's Emmy car from 1993 raced here in 1994 (driven by Kaye and Greg Murphy) then disappeared to New Zealand. Three later Carina E's turned up later and each of them run at the Super Touring Bathursts. Malcolm Rea owned two (same guy with the '92 car that never raced) and Milton Leslight the other. They were slow and never troubled anyone and I imagine they would still have them as they would be near impossible to sell.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 23:01 (Ref:1399097)   #39
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
oh and someone in the US was built a different bodystyle Accord - US and Europe had different bodystyle Accords at the time. I think we had the American style too.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1399104)   #40
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok. Funny how you guys are talking about the Matt Neal Super Touring Nissan when:

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/cars/d...=forsale&cat=6

this car comes up for sale! (price as mentioned in post #33)
Old 5 Sep 2005, 01:56 (Ref:1399152)   #41
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46
I guess you mean this one: http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-10-19-063.jpg

This car raced at Belcar series.
The car I'm referring to was a sedan one. I'm not sure if VW built several versions--including a wagon version or if the one you pictured was a privately built one. But sweet front splitter!! It's a shame that VW or the team doesn't release street versions of the front splitter. Perhaps they could recoup some of their developmental costs?
Old 5 Sep 2005, 02:01 (Ref:1399153)   #42
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
oh and someone in the US was built a different bodystyle Accord - US and Europe had different bodystyle Accords at the time. I think we had the American style too.
It was DC Sports--they commissioned the construction of an Accord based on the NA bodystyle. That bodystyle was the same as the Japanese bodystyled Accord. It must have cost them a bundle. Then the NATCC was cancelled. I wonder what happened to that car?
Old 5 Sep 2005, 02:08 (Ref:1399157)   #43
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Corollas and Sierras built here in Oz too. South Africa built Camrys.
Speaking of Camry's, Toyota commissioned Rod Millen Motorsports to build at least a 2-3 Toyota Camry's based on the '97-'03 bodystyle.
http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/U...rreviewphotos/

It was never raced due to the collapse of the NATCC. I'm not sure if it was FIA approved or a local built. Rod Millen had confirmed the completion of the cars in an interview. Does the FIA have records for every single car they homologated? There were rumors that the pair were to be rebuilt for import drag racing, but that never materialized either. I wonder what happened to the cars? Knowing past manufacturer precedence, I wonder if Toyota had the cars crushed??
Old 5 Sep 2005, 07:55 (Ref:1399273)   #44
kmchow
Veteran

Here are pictures of the VW Bora sedan!

http://www.vwvortex.com/gallery/gall...g/Bora%20TDI-R

VW built a bunch of these cars/chassis for sales to privateers in other global touring car series.

If racing in the BTCC was too costly due to travel costs, I've always wondered why didn't VW race the car in the STW. It's their home turf?
Old 5 Sep 2005, 08:00 (Ref:1399275)   #45
kmchow
Veteran

Here are pictures of the VW Bora sedan!

http://www.vwvortex.com/gallery/gall...g/Bora%20TDI-R

VW built a bunch of these cars/chassis for sales to privateers in other global touring car series.

If racing in the BTCC was too costly due to travel costs, I've always wondered why didn't VW race the car in the STW. It's their home turf? OTOH, I guess they didn't want a Bora racing against their A4?
Old 5 Sep 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1399435)   #46
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lets not forget the Andy Rouse build ST Toyota Corolla!
Old 5 Sep 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1399590)   #47
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
There is just one Audi left down under. Brad Jones Racing converted one of their first two A4 Quattros into a ride car. They never repainted it away from the early red/navy/white ORIX colours to the later aluminium look of the 1998/1999 cars. It's a strange car to see tucked away in the back of a V8Supercar workshop but you see it there from time to time in articles.

David Auger I believe still owns the Leatherman Alfa Romeo 155 TwinSpark because he can't sell it. This car I think was ex-BTCC before Garry Rogers Motorsport (another present day V8Supercar outfit) acquired it for Steven Richards.

There was another thread in the Australian touring car forum where the history of the many ex-BTCC Australian Peugeots was pulled apart one by one.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1399668)   #48
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Excellent stuff, Redshoes, I have been working on and off myself on a similar project for a while... I will drop you a PM about it...
Old 5 Sep 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1399694)   #49
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
There is just one Audi left down under. Brad Jones Racing converted one of their first two A4 Quattros into a ride car.
I thought he always got the cars on loan from Audi Motorsoprt and had to return them the next year? Or did he just preferential choice of which ex-works cars from the year before to purchase?

Quote:
There was another thread in the Australian touring car forum where the history of the many ex-BTCC Australian Peugeots was pulled apart one by one.
You had me there for a second--I thought you meant literally! Then I realize you meant figuratively. At least I hope you are?
Old 5 Sep 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1399702)   #50
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner
Lets not forget the Andy Rouse build ST Toyota Corolla!
It's sad to see that car to go from ST car to hill climb car. I thought I saw it for sale again.